• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

GOT THIS FROM THE WIFE TODAY.

Where was the media on this one?

An interesting perspective

Everyone who has children, grandchildren or knows someone who does, needs to read this and pass it along to others.

Guess our national leaders didn't expect this, hmm? On Thursday, Darrell Scott, the father of Rachel Scott, a victim of the Columbine High School shootings in Littleton , Colorado , was invited to address the House Judiciary Committee's subcommittee. What he said to our national leaders during this special session of Congress was painfully truthful..

They were not prepared for what he was to say, nor was it received well. It needs to be heard by every parent, every teacher, every politician, every sociologist, every psychologist, and every so-called expert! These courageous words spoken by Darrell Scott are powerful, penetrating, and deeply personal. There is no doubt that God sent this man as a voice crying in the wilderness. The following is a portion of the transcript:

"Since the dawn of creation there has been both good & evil in the hearts of men and women. We all contain the seeds of kindness or the seeds of violence. The death of my wonderful daughter, Rachel Joy Scott, and the deaths of that heroic teacher, and the other eleven children who died must not be in vain. Their blood cries out for answers.

"The first recorded act of violence was when Cain slew his brother Abel out in the field. The villain was not the club he used.. Neither was it the NCA, the National Club Association. The true killer was Cain, and the reason for the murder could only be found in Cain's heart.

"In the days that followed the Columbine tragedy, I was amazed at how quickly fingers began to be pointed at groups such as the NRA. I am not a member of the NRA. I am not a hunter. I do not even own a gun. I am not here to represent or defend the NRA - because I don't believe that they are responsible for my daughter's death. Therefore I do not believe that they need to be defended. If I believed they had anything to do with Rachel's murder, I would be their strongest opponent.

I am here today to declare that Columbine was not just a tragedy -- it was a spiritual event that should be forcing us to look at where the real blame lies! Much of the blame lies here in this room. Much of the blame lies behind the pointing fingers of the accusers themselves. I wrote a poem just four nights ago that expresses my feelings best.

Your laws ignore our deepest needs,

Your words are empty air.

You've stripped away our heritage,

You've outlawed simple prayer.

Now gunshots fill our classrooms,

And precious children die.

You seek for answers everywhere,

And ask the question "Why?"

You regulate restrictive laws,

Through legislative creed.

And yet you fail to understand,

That God is what we need!

" Men and women are three-part beings. We all consist of body, mind, and spirit. When we refuse to acknowledge a third part of our make-up, we create a void that allows evil, prejudice, and hatred to rush in and wreak havoc. Spiritual presences were present within our educational systems for most of our nation's history. Many of our major colleges began as theological seminaries. This is a historical fact. What has happened to us as a nation? We have refused to honor God, and in so doing, we open the doors to hatred and violence. And when something as terrible as Columbine's tragedy occurs -- politicians immediately look for a scapegoat such as the NRA. They immediately seek to pass more restrictive laws that contribute to erode away our personal and private liberties. We do not need more restrictive laws. Eric and Dylan would not have been stopped by metal detectors. No amount of gun laws can stop someone who spends months planning this type of massacre. The real villain lies within our own hearts.

"As my son Craig lay under that table in the school library and saw his two friends murdered before his very eyes, he did not hesitate to pray in school. I defy any law or politician to deny him that right! I challenge every young person in America , and around the world, to realize that on April 20, 1999, at Columbine High School prayer was brought back to our schools. Do not let the many prayers offered by those students be in vain. Dare to move into the new millennium with a sacred disregard for legislation that violates your God-given right to communicate with Him. To those of you who would point your finger at the NRA -- I give to you a sincere challenge. Dare to examine your own heart before casting the first stone!

My daughter's death will not be in vain! The young people of this country will not allow that to happen!"

Do what the media did not - - let the nation hear this man's speech.. Please send this out to everyone you can. God Bless

I was following along just fine until the whole God thing was brought up.

No offense to the religious... but I'm agnostic. I don't believe in a God, per se... and I'm not, consequently, filled with evil, prejudice, nor hatred. [rolleyes]

Anyway... I get the sentiment of the post though. There's something wrong... and we need to fix it. And blaming guns/NRA is obviously not the way.

[grin]

Sort of lost me when "god" made its entrance.

If god existed in a manner such, that in line with the beliefs of so many, mankind wouldn't, for the most part be the filthy animals the majority of people are. The columbine shooters personify filthy animals.

Belief in God doesn't make you human... quite the contrary in most cases (historically at the very least).

However, I agree with his sentiment that laws are not the problem, as laws don't apply to filthy animals.

Those who believe they are restriced by those around them, and, therefore, believe they are controlled are frequently those who act out.

If you think about it, anytime someone imposes what you perceive as control upon you, that is when anger is felt. There are those who can walk away from it, or find some other way to deal with it more constructively - and then there are those who vent it directly on others.

I was following along just fine until the whole God thing was brought up.

No offense to the religious... but I'm agnostic. I don't believe in a God, per se... and I'm not, consequently, filled with evil, prejudice, nor hatred. [rolleyes]

Anyway... I get the sentiment of the post though. There's something wrong... and we need to fix it. And blaming guns/NRA is obviously not the way.

[grin]

I understand that there are those who doubt the existence of God or simply don't believe in it.

In those cases, try substituting a value system anchored in the 'golden rule' and the father's post retains all of it's strength of meaning.

I love watching the agnostics and atheists spin out of control every time you mention "God". Every time the word pops into a conversation, you "lose" them. They're so caught up in pointing out they disagree with the faith of another so everything they say loses value, that they miss the message.

You guys are just as bad as the nutties who pimp Jesus.

I love watching the agnostics and atheists spin out of control every time you mention "God". Every time the word pops into a conversation, you "lose" them. They're so caught up in pointing out they disagree with the faith of another so everything they say loses value, that they miss the message.

You guys are just as bad as the nutties who pimp Jesus.

+10 , I mean, Amen!

There should be a balance, instead what we get are extremes for the most part. The ones that shrink in fear and hate when God is mentioned, and the Jesus freaks that give us all headaches.

By applying Bible principles in our daily lives can only make us a better, thoughtful, more caring person that others may actully enjoy being around.

"Outlawed simple prayer."

Uh, that's the way it should be.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof

Do you encourage disregard of the second amendment as freely as the first?

How can you use the phrase "shall make no law" to support outlawing prayer?

That language is just as clear as "shall not be infringed" in the second amendment.

I love watching the agnostics and atheists spin out of control every time you mention "God". Every time the word pops into a conversation, you "lose" them. They're so caught up in pointing out they disagree with the faith of another so everything they say loses value, that they miss the message. You guys are just as bad as the nutties who pimp Jesus.

You call my post "spinning out of control"? [laugh] That was nothing [grin]

Anyway, yes, whenever one poses God as the "answer" to everything... you will inevitably "lose" whoever does NOT believe in God. That's just logic.

I'm simply saying that I agree with the sentiment of the original post... ie: something is wrong in society and we need to fix it. And the problem is not guns or the NRA. But I disagree that God is the answer.

I didn't miss the message at all.

Now, if you call that spinning out of control... then you're pretty sensitive [wink]

I'd like to add that most of us agnostics or atheists DO apply the bible principles in our daily lives. We all know what it is to be a good, caring person.

Last edited:
Do you encourage disregard of the second amendment as freely as the first?

How can you use the phrase "shall make no law" to support outlawing prayer?

That language is just as clear as "shall not be infringed" in the second amendment.

Religion has no place in public schools.

Against which?

If a kid or group of kids want to pray in school, by all means they should be allowed to.
If a school administrator/teacher, however, leads a prayer with their students, I see a big problem with that.

Against which?

If a kid or group of kids want to pray in school, by all means they should be allowed to.
If a school administrator/teacher, however, leads a prayer with their students, I see a big problem with that.

I don't, unless the child is required to participate. I don't know what you mean by "against which". I'm not sure I understand the question. What I meant was:

The Constitution forbids the federal .gov to ban teachers from leading prayer in class, or students from leading a class prayer, or a lone student praying.

Against which?

Why? Seems like the problem is public education.

The issue stems a little bit beyond "required." A 1st grader might not be smart enough to realize that they don't have to be in the room or that they're even allowed to leave.

There's also the issue of why I'm paying money out of my pocket to fund someone else's exercise of religion during school hours.

In any case, this seems to be off-topic and not the discussion jcliff was looking for.

Why? Seems like the problem is public education.

That certainly may be, and I'm not a defender of public education, but that's for a different debate.

Religion has no place in public schools.

Which is why the problem is public schools - and not the religion.

As Packingungal said:

Those who believe they are restriced by those around them, and, therefore, believe they are controlled are frequently those who act out.

If you think about it, anytime someone imposes what you perceive as control upon you, that is when anger is felt. There are those who can walk away from it, or find some other way to deal with it more constructively - and then there are those who vent it directly on others.

The government mandates public schools. Therefore turning them into a political battleground for those who wish to impose their ways on others. It doesn't matter if the way that it is attempting to be imposed is radical multiculturalism - or bible belt conservatism. Either way somebody is bound to get pissed off.

The essence of all of this is force - trying to use force to shove your ideals down somebody else's throat.

Is it really all that surprising that sooner or later somebody is going to get pissed off and go on a rampage?

The issue stems a little bit beyond "required." A 1st grader might not be smart enough to realize that they don't have to be in the room or that they're even allowed to leave.

There's also the issue of why I'm paying money out of my pocket to fund someone else's exercise of religion during school hours.

So? A 1st grader might not be smart enough to realize that they may pray if they want to. The logic flows both ways. So doesn't the issue of why I'm paying money out of my pocket to fund someone's exclusion of religion during school hours.

Neither of your desires address the fact that the Constitution forbids the federal government from banning it.

My original post was to show what he thought about the NRA and other organizations.
I'm surprised at the direction this thread took. [thinking]

threaddrift.jpg

Good thing we have a couple new mods.

The government mandates public schools. Therefore turning them into a political battleground for those who wish to impose their ways on others. It doesn't matter if the way that it is attempting to be imposed is radical multiculturalism - or bible belt conservatism. Either way somebody is bound to get pissed off.

The essence of all of this is force - trying to use force to shove your ideals down somebody else's throat.

Is it really all that surprising that sooner or later somebody is going to get pissed off and go on a rampage?

In other words, politics and government are a zero-sum game. For somebody to "win" somebody has to "lose."

I have no problem with this guys spirituality. Spirituality plays an important part in our everyday lives. I just have a different belief that he does! [grin]

What's the matter with a prayer being said at the start of school? I grew up in public school and prayer was said, didn't hurt me. If anything it helps the young ones to reflect on God, if they want to. We say the pledge of allegiance to the flag every morning in school, is that not praying to the flag? An object representing an ideal? Is that not the same thing as praying to God?

What I am saying is that it doesn't hurt, it may help instill some sense of morality, justice, and well being in our young people that seems to have disappeared right around the time that prayer from school did.

+1 to the guy for saying the NRA and Guns weren't the ones causing this disaster.
-1 to the guy for deciding that godlessness is what caused this disaster.

Its silly to combat the erroneous stigma the NRA has received by promoting the idea that without God we will all starting killing kids and puppies. One stupid generalization being replaced with another stupid generalization undermines the whole point he was trying to make in the first place.

Its a classic case of pushing around blame when no one has a good answer. Unfortunately, having God in your life is the generic catch-all for solving the worlds problems even though historically those with too much God in their lives tend to be the ones murdering, pillaging, and cutting off heads.

Last edited:
You guys are all idiots for arguing about this. The man is spot on with the way our lawmakers vilify the wrong things. What he is saying is that WE NEED TO COMBAT THE EVIL IN SOCIETY NOT INANIMATE OBJECTS. He is saying our country has lost some of its moral fiber. Keep your petty religion arguments for an off topic thread...

Why, why, why... (Continued drift alert)

Cannot people understand that freedom of religion DOES NOT mean freedom FROM religion.

I'm not praticing any particular religion, I haven't since I had Catholicism beaten into me with a yardstick in parochial school. However I am a spiritual man and am content to believe in a supreme being.

I can respect another's views as most people can yet sadly, some cannot.
Why is this so hard ?

Religion (Call it spirituality if you must,) is the glue which binds a society together and provides the pivot point for our moral compass.

Removing religion from a society and expressing contempt for anothers beliefs results in the amoral chaos of todays society.

The message quoted by the OP was clear to myself and other posters, it is societies loss of moral fiber (The pivot point of our moral compass) - at cause.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom