• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Got pulled over yesterday; first time while carrying.

Around 2 years ago, ironically in the same town that my last incident occurred earlier this year.

I have an AK47 Operators Union sticker on my motorcycle top box, otherwise he probably wouldn't have asked? He even said he noticed my sticker.. I have to take that sticker off one day... I wasn't carrying, he didn't even run my DL, we just bullshitted on the side of the road for a bit before he told me to take it easy next time, and I did for almost a year. Then this past July I got frustrated by 2 HD's going 25 in a 45 and braking even on the slightest hint of a turn on 122, and did a not-so-smart(but safe) pass on a group of cars so I could get behind so I could pass the Lazy Boy army, except one of the cars I passed was an unmarked...
3 gears of burning real rubber didn’t go to, too bad.
I think he was more shocked I didn’t see him.

My wife and daughter know enough to have their driver's license and car registration in their hand before the police approach the car. That was also the advice my Dad gave me 50 years ago.
That is called "furtive movements", and unlike 50 years ago, it's more likely to wind up with a pistol in your ear than if you sit there quietly with hands at 10 & 2.

And then say, "My license is in my wallet in my left rear wallet. Do you mind if I pull that out?" And, "My registration and insurance are in my glove compartment. Is it okay if I reach for those?"

Never even thought about telling a officer Im carrying. All the firearms related shit in my truck is probably a give away. Plus I learned as a young teenager keep your mouth shut.
I got pulled over once in pembroke not far from the club.
After the officer tan my info he came back and said “pistol or rifle”
I was a bit stumped and said “huh”
A little nod of his head “the target in the back” I laughed and said “BB gun “ he smirked and says “ try to at least stop for a few seconds next time” theres a few 4 way stops that are easy to roll through around the club.

I’ve had people do this as if it’s a game on the side of the road with cars whizzing by, or those that keep their registration in their trunk and insist on getting out of the car to retrieve it from a backpack, whether they’re just being morons or purposely trying to bust balls. they all got written for not having their information readily available and on-hand, sorry not sorry, have a nice day.
Oh, this is no game with me. I'm just one of those old farts who never throws away my old registrations or my inspection papers. I have them going back 20+ years. I even have registrations for my previous two cars and a trailer in there. And let's not forget tire warranty info (even for tires long gone) and any/all paperwork from repairs and oil changes made in the last 11 years. :oops:

The current registration is supposed to be on the top of the pile, but sometimes things get shuffled. [laugh]

Exactly, not sure why you'd wait for the cop to get to your window before getting license & reg out. Pull over, get your stuff out, turn dome light on if dark, both hands on the wheel.

Because that's the advice a former NY trooper gives in his book "A Speeder's Guide to Avoiding Tickets". Signal to pull over, gradually slow down (don't spike the brakes), put on the dome light if needed, roll down the window, put your hands in view so he sees you're unarmed, and SIT STILL and wait for him. You want to put all the power in the scenario in the trooper's hand so he's not looking for an excuse to ventilate you.

As for why? Look at it like you were the trooper. You stop someone, and the first thing he does when he pulls over is go rummaging around for something in the glove box or the console... what's he reaching for? His registration? A Desert Eagle? A knife? You DON'T KNOW. So you're walking up to this car with the Northeast Shooters stickers all over the back, and you're twitchy... because the person you stopped reached for something. And you don't know if he's just going to hand you his papers and be pleasant about it, or he's going to go juramentado all over you and your car's video is going to go viral...

So I wait for him. And who knows? I'll have a minute or two to try and talk him out of giving me that ticket while I'm getting my license out of my wallet and my registration out of the glovebox. It could work! It DID work the last time I got pulled over - it was one of those weeks when everything was going wrong, and yeah, I told him all of it. And he just told me to please not pass someone at 70 in a 50 zone again.

For me, if I’m being stopped, I put my window down a bit while still moving in case the cop wants to direct me to a safer place to stop using the loud speaker. I’ve actually had this happen with the highway meter maids when there was no break down lane or shoulder to stop on.
Put my emergency flashers on so they know I’m responding to them and not just continuing to drive away.

My interior light comes on when I stop, car in park, foot off the brake, and my hands stay empty and in plain view until I’m asked for my info. No pant shitting needed. If you start it off with a f*** you attitude he’s just gonna be counting ways to write you and already adding it up in his head.

TLDR;

Most people write their own tickets by running their suck. Just be normal and polite, there’s nothing complicated about it.

Qoted for truth.

It is also good to pull the pants down, put some lube on your butt and let the officer know you respect his authority and Alpha status in society.

Well, if you have that attitude, you ARE going to get a yard of locust (or whatever they use for nightsticks these days) shoved up your ass, so it's a good thing you lubed up.

In that situation, the cop DOES have the power over you! He's also nervous about whether or not you're some kind of idiot with an attitude and if he'll get to go home that night, or to a hospital or a morgue. So yeah, you swallow that stupid-ass attitude and be polite to the guy with standard capacity magazines in his gun and a police union to ensure that nothing he does to your silly ass will come around and bite HIS ass after he puts 17 rounds into you. Is it THAT hard to understand? Just feed his ego for 10 minutes.

Last time I got pulled over by a MA statie, he asked me if I knew why he was pulling me over. My answer was "Yeah, because I did something stupid right in front of you!" I didn't bullshit him, didn't give him an attitude - I knew damned well why he pulled me over, and he knew I knew. He didn't ticket me... and it didn't cost me anything to admit it to him.

Qoted for truth.

Well, if you have that attitude, you ARE going to get a yard of locust (or whatever they use for nightsticks these days) shoved up your ass, so it's a good thing you lubed up.

In that situation, the cop DOES have the power over you! He's also nervous about whether or not you're some kind of idiot with an attitude and if he'll get to go home that night, or to a hospital or a morgue. So yeah, you swallow that stupid-ass attitude and be polite to the guy with standard capacity magazines in his gun and a police union to ensure that nothing he does to your silly ass will come around and bite HIS ass after he puts 17 rounds into you. Is it THAT hard to understand? Just feed his ego for 10 minutes.

Last time I got pulled over by a MA statie, he asked me if I knew why he was pulling me over. My answer was "Yeah, because I did something stupid right in front of you!" I didn't bullshit him, didn't give him an attitude - I knew damned well why he pulled me over, and he knew I knew. He didn't ticket me... and it didn't cost me anything to admit it to him.
Hakuna your tatas, it was just a joke.

Show me on this doll where my post hurt you.

5179850.jpg

That is not hard to do when I am bored AF watching training videos.
I hear ya on that... My company took on a contract in TN, I think it was, that required that ALL of us had to take sexual harassment training. Even everyone who wouldn't be working in that state! I'm a VT tech and only work on the VT contract, so I don't see why I had to do it. Just regurgitate back the lines they feed you during training. That's all I did. but yeah... mind-numbing.

Tell people your company is making you do CBT. Depending on how perverted they are, it should be good for a laugh. (if you're as innocent as some people I know, just google "CBT". And remember that Rule 34 applies.)

I could say this was a legit stop.
I'd reject it, put the R sticker on, and then give the person the option of putting one in themselves, or I would do it for a couple of bucks and the cost of the bulb.
I took my wife's car for a routine inspection yesterday. It failed for the high mounted center stop light being out. They said they could do it for $15. I hesitated a second, and they probably saw I was smart and capable enough, so they said there is an auto parts store basically across the street. I figured I'd do it over the weekend. Then I decided I didn't need the hassle of driving around with a big red R on my windshield, plus a return visit to the shop. So I sucked it up, ended up pulling the light myself, got the replacement and got the sticker. I thanked them for being available for the replacement on the spot, and said if it was any colder or raining or snowing that I would take their offer.

Never answer a question that you are not being asked.
Good advice. Sometimes, it is tough to not "try to be helpful".

I got pulled over when I was 18 on the way back from the Cape at like 3am with a tapped beer ball inside the cabin of my car. Statie took one look, tried not to crack up, and made me dump it out on the shoulder. I thought I was toast for multiple reasons, but nothing. If that wasn't home state preferential treatment, I don't know what is.
Back in the 80's, I got picked up hitchhiking near the Wachusett reservoir. There were 2 guys in a station wagon, and they had a keg in the back and the tap was in the dash. They were just out for a Sunday drive. First thing, they asked if I wanted a beer. Of course. Drove around a bit and had a beer or two. Was pretty funny. The good old days.

Last edited:
I got picked up hitchhiking near the Wachusett reservoir. There were 2 guys in a station wagon, and they had a keg in the back and the tap was in the dash. They were just out for a Sunday drive. First thing, they asked if I wanted a beer. Of course. Drove around a bit and had a beer or two. Was pretty funny. The good old days.
God bless this thread.

Sexual harassment trainings get better each year.

This year I learned that asking co-workers to walk on your back can be considered harassment.
We always had two different trainings, one for managers and one for employees. The employee version is all about what they should do if they feel harrsssed; who to report to and how; how they will be totally confidential. Manager training was a how to session. If you ever wanted to be proficient at sexually harassing our coworkers, the manager training was perfect. We always learned new and exciting ways to harass people.

Sexual harassment trainings get better each year.

This year I learned that asking co-workers to walk on your back can be considered harassment.
I actually had my SH online training a couple weeks ago, I sincerely enjoyed the workplace harassment videos, they are hilarious 😂

Oh, this is no game with me. I'm just one of those old farts who never throws away my old registrations or my inspection papers. I have them going back 20+ years. I even have registrations for my previous two cars and a trailer in there. And let's not forget tire warranty info (even for tires long gone) and any/all paperwork from repairs and oil changes made in the last 11 years. :oops:

The current registration is supposed to be on the top of the pile, but sometimes things get shuffled. [laugh]
Of course, I should’ve clarified that my post wasn’t directly aimed at you, just that some people actually do those things on purpose just to bust balls.

Really though how difficult is it to keep one piece of paper, that you know you’ll need in a pinch, in an easy to access location, in a space that’s approx 4”x6”?

Elastic band / sun visor / Registration & Insurance and you’re GTG. 🤷‍♂️😂🙈

Of course, I should’ve clarified that my post wasn’t directly aimed at you, just that some people actually do those things on purpose just to bust balls.

Really though how difficult is it to keep one piece of paper, that you know you’ll need in a pinch, in an easy to access location, in a space that’s approx 4”x6”?

You’ve obviously never owned a jeep glove box.

That (the sun visor elastic band approach) wouldn't work in my case, but your point is still valid. One of these days I'm going to piss off a cop badly with my 11 to 12 minutes of searching for my current registration among 20+ years of old documents. So far I've been lucky. I still got the damn tickets, but no extra penalties for the wait. They see that I am old and feeble... kinda like our fake president... and they have mercy on me. [laugh]

Back on topic: Despite not such great luck with traffic traps and having held an LTC for 45+ years, I've never been asked about a gun in the vehicle. 🤔

Back
Top Bottom