• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Got a call to borrow a gun

My brother in law falls under that category. My wife's sister will not let him have anything in the house, so he doesn't own anything. He has not asked to borrow anything. Yet.
That was my wife's position when we were first married
Her: Get rid of them
Me: No
Her: your not going to get rid of them
Her: give them to your brother
Her: you aren't going to listen to me
9/11 occured
Her: Do you still have the guns
Me: yes

Being willing to walk is, at times, a requirement for marital peace.

this reminds me, I have a friend without a gun. single mom. she has expressed before she wants to get one. she just can't afford it right now. I believe she has shot before. I may just offer to take her to a range and go over the basics again and help her out by loaning her 1 to keep for a while. I really don't think we need to worry about it but if she wants to have one "for now" I have no problem loaning her one.

Is it a crime to share that information? Shall we gun owners live life under the radar, afraid to tell people about our...dare I say....guns?
I don’t shout it from the rooftops but I don’t hide it either. If I think I can convince a non-gun owner to take the plunge and get a license, I take it. Without doing that then gun ownership becomes even more “abnormal” than it already is and we then will start having to hide it.
What a ridiculous comment.

I don't look at owning guns as having some sort of social responsibility to teach and inform other people, guns are a tool.

Not gonna take a liberal shooting or wear gun shirts.

It's not that I am embarrassed, it's just that in times of crisis the less people that know I have something they want, the better.

But, some people are surprised when they get phone calls wanting to borrow a weapon., I don't want phone calls.

Got a similar call from a long time friend who is licensed and very level headed. I'm considering it.

Any legal reasons not to do that?
Ask yourself if he shoots someone can you be liable even in a lawsuit, is it worth it having to pump out lawyers fee's.

Last edited:
As many of you know - I live in Georgia after living in Connecticut for many years - and I currently spend summers in Connecticut.

Reading this thread, it struck me -

Of my neighbors down here, I can't think of any that don't own "a" gun. Seriously, most of them are either current or retired military, a few are cops, one works for Customs & Border Patrol, two are Coast Guard. A couple of my neighbors are avid shooters, at least 20 of them belong to the same local gun club that I do.

When I think of my neighbors in CT, at least half of them don't own guns that I know of.

Similar conversation I've had. Have a friend who was always flirting with the idea of an AR. He asked about buying one now. I said the time to do that was before 7/20/2016

I value and respect my friends. They are friends for a reason. I have their backs and they have mine.

For those that I know would have my back, I have their back too. Quid Pro Quo. They need a firearm and that I can legally provide and trust will be used properly I lend it to them. They need ammo I give it to them. With friends money is not a consideration.

Now please avoid replies that ask if you can be my friend and borrow a gun. Friendship requires time, trust and a connection. This guy is my friend for 20 years. I don't see him often but when we do it's as if there'd been no gap. We just pick up where we left off.

The older I get the more I realize the value of friends. Some of the rhetoric in this thread makes me wonder if some of you have any...

Rich

Got a similar call from a long time friend who is licensed and very level headed. I'm considering it.

Any legal reasons not to do that?
This was aLready responded to but I'm still trying to wrap my head around why a licensed person would call you to get a gun instead of getting his own - Unless it's a $$ issue

If a friend needed a firearm as I had happen in the past and would just give them one to keep if they already had the required license where we live.
Then training on how to operate it, how to clean it and how to shoot it.
I just pray that they have the will to pull the trigger if needed should the time come to actually use it.

Last edited:
I just don’t buy excuses of not having enough money to buy even one firearm from some of these people. Divorce? Just had a baby? C’mon, you can get a decent Mossy for like 250.00 if you even put an ounce of effort into or even a half decent pistol for 300.00.

I don’t care if I was homeless and destitute, I’d collect cans every day for weeks if needed until I could buy or steal a pistol to stick in my pants. Priorities.

They’re making excuses because they were lazy, uninformed, anti’s or just complacent.

Trust No One.

A very close friend of mine is a cop and former Marine, he has his service Glock at home but nothing else, over the years whenever my guns get brought up in conversation I ask him why he doesn’t get one and he said he had enough of that in the service. Well his brother who is a gun guy just dropped off an AR with mags and ammo for him two days ago. I was waiting for him to ask me and yes I would have lended him one. The amount of people that I’d do that for is him only.

There are like 6 golden rules in my house that don't get broken and all of my family and inner circle know them well. Listed in order of largest offence first.

1. Don't touch my daughter, and don't tell me how to parent.
2. Don't touch my tools, and don't ask me to "borrow them"
3. Don't touch my harley, or my truck, and don't ask to "borrow" them.
4. I don't loan money to family or friends.
5. My sofa bed in the basement is only available as a place to crash to close friends or family for a one week period, once per lifetime, after that one week expect to be forcibly removed.
6. Because I'm always the guy with the fairly new F250, I only help friends and extended family move once per lifetime, and that includes partial moves and towing campers, after I've done it once, don't ask again.

guns are classified as tools to me.

There are like 6 golden rules in my house that don't get broken and all of my family and inner circle know them well. Listed in order of largest offence first.

5. My sofa bed in the basement is only available as a place to crash to close friends or family for a one week period, once per lifetime, after that one week expect to be forcibly removed.
6. Because I'm always the guy with the fairly new F250, I only help friends and extended family move once per lifetime, and that includes partial moves and towing campers, after I've done it once, don't ask again.

Lighten up Francis LOL
View: https://youtu.be/iN-aXzpQUdw

I value and respect my friends. They are friends for a reason. I have their backs and they have mine.

For those that I know would have my back, I have their back too. Quid Pro Quo. They need a firearm and that I can legally provide and trust will be used properly I lend it to them. They need ammo I give it to them. With friends money is not a consideration.

Now please avoid replies that ask if you can be my friend and borrow a gun. Friendship requires time, trust and a connection. This guy is my friend for 20 years. I don't see him often but when we do it's as if there'd been no gap. We just pick up where we left off.

The older I get the more I realize the value of friends. Some of the rhetoric in this thread makes me wonder if some of you have any...

Rich

True friends are rare, like the ones you describe. I have 2 of those types of friends and they are in another state. Other people that I like and consider friends are not at that level.

Rich

If the SHTF, don't be surprised when a "friend" turns on you.

Lol

I have a group of friends that I know have my back and I have theirs.

I refer to them as my shovel friends. When my wife and I first met, she asked why I called them that.

I told her that if I ever called them and needed to bury a body, they would simply show up with shovels - no questions asked.

Back
Top Bottom