GOAL has only..........

Not that I disagree with the sentiment, but...

That many? In 1976, we damn near turned into another DC; Sheriff Buckley's gun ban referendum was running dead even for a while but ultimately went down by a huge margin in one of the largest election turnouts ever. The organization created to combat it was GOAL.

(I may have some details slightly wrong there, but I can't find squat about it on the net. Anyone want to correct my history?)

It's stuff like that that makes me wish I wasn't just a year old back then and I kick myself when I realize that I could have had a license years ago. Yay for apathy.

Just wishful thinking on my part, but it sure would be nice if GOAL membership was mandated before a FID or LTC was issued by the state,[smile]
Shameless behavior aside, I definately agree, it should be a part of aquiring LTC. IMHO FID holders will play a major role in our future. They just don't know it as of now, but we will let them know.

Someone reading this thread contacted me and asked why GOAL doesn't take out a full page ad in the Herald or Globe now and then on major issues.

I contacted an associate in the promotion business and he said he could get GOAL a "cut" rate for a full page ad at $19,375 for a one day ad. That's why we don't do full page ads.

Someone reading this thread contacted me and asked why GOAL doesn't take out a full page ad in the Herald or Globe now and then on major issues.

I contacted an associate in the promotion business and he said he could get GOAL a "cut" rate for a full page ad at $19,375 for a one day ad. That's why we don't do full page ads.

Yeah but how much is it for Liberals and Moonbats? [wink]

Last edited:

That assumes that the Herald or Globe would actually agree to run your ad. In the past, large, liberal newspapers have generally refused to run ads from the NRA.

Ill volunteer to print and hand deliver GOAL membership forms to any local (mid-mass /worcester area) dealers / sport shops who agree to give one to each customer with a sale. I think it would be worth it. Many folks don't think of signing up for goal unless someone "reminds" them that they should. (myself included)

I would also work with someone at GOAL to come up with a cover page to help educate the customer as to what the goal membership does for them.

I dont see this as any skin of a dealer's nose, but of you see it that way, please explain.

Anyone seriously interested, pm me and we will make arrangements.

Last edited:
Yeah but how much is it for Democrats,Liberals and Moonbats? [wink]

If you're talking about the Globe, those are pretty standard prices. Full page color only a year or two ago was around $35k for a full run, full page color ad. And please try not to group Democrats with the liberals and the crazies. They do NOT all go hand in hand. Conservative Dems like myself are not big fans of the Liberals, and really dislike the freak element.

If you're talking about the Globe, those are pretty standard prices. Full page color only a year or two ago was around $35k for a full run, full page color ad. And please try not to group Democrats with the liberals and the crazies. They do NOT all go hand in hand. Conservative Dems like myself are not big fans of the Liberals, and really dislike the freak element.

You're absolutley correct RG617. My apologies to you sir, and anyone else that may have taken offense, I have edited the comment.

Ill volunteer to print and hand deliver GOAL membership forms to any local (mid-mass /worcester area) dealers / sport shops who agree to give one to each customer with a sale. I think it would be worth it. Many folks don't think of signing up for goal unless someone "reminds" them that they should. (myself included)

I would also work with someone at GOAL to come up with a cover page to help educate the customer as to what the goal membership does for them.

I dont see this as any skin of a dealer's nose, but of you see it that way, please explain.

Anyone seriously interested, pm me and we will make arrangements.

I have only one taker here?

And I personally asked him to hand them out.

I am surprised that no one else has stepped up. [frown]

Last edited:
There are a lot of issues including that people get swayed easily by news that NRA, Goal, etc., are evil. Then there are people that vote for themselves, they vote for Kerry or Kennedy, or Patrick, etc. to get more social security, more unions, whatever, and think they won't lose their guns.

Slow changes in gun laws don't stir the grazing gun owners.

Look at the amount of gun clubs that don't require GOAL membership because they can't get people to pony up. Family membership particularly with GOAL is a bargain.

One club I'm in is pro-GOAL and the other leadership could care less and it is a debate each year whether to pay affiliation.

Aside from normal ways to get membership, maybe local shops and dealers skip a sale and offer instead money for GOAL membership.

If you see someone at a shop or dealer, or at a club with Obama 08 you may understand.

Dana

Look at the amount of gun clubs that don't require GOAL membership because they can't get people to pony up.

I wasn't aware there were any clubs that required GOAL membership; can you name any that do? (I'm just curious about it.)

I do know lots of clubs that require NRA membership, and it certainly pisses some people off. On the one hand, the argument is "if you like the shooting sports, the NRA supports you, so you should support the NRA". On the other hand there's "If I want to support this club, why does the NRA need to be involved? If I want to join the NRA/GOAL/etc. shouldn't that be my own decision?"

At a recent meeting of a club of which I'm a member, we were debating this and found out that our insurance hasn't required 100% NRA membership in years, but decided to keep the requirement anyway because, basically, we didn't want anyone as a member who wouldn't support the NRA. It was a long and bitter argument, and I've got some sympathy for both sides. (We also discussed a proposal to accept membership in the NRA or one of several other organizations, including GOAL.)

I do know lots of clubs that require NRA membership, and it certainly pisses some people off. On the one hand, the argument is "if you like the shooting sports, the NRA supports you, so you should support the NRA". On the other hand there's "If I want to support this club, why does the NRA need to be involved? If I want to join the NRA/GOAL/etc. shouldn't that be my own decision?"

My club recently held a vote to require all new members to have NRA membership. They didn't need to keep it, they just needed to have it at the time they joined.

It was voted down, which I feel is unfortunate.

While I certainly appreciate that many people are anti-NRA, the benefits of being an NRA-affiliated club are pretty strong. Just one example is the availability of low-interest loans for capital improvements. However, the anti-NRA types won out.

Like Dana said . . .

When I was a member of Sharon F&G, they supported GOAL, keeping up the club membership annually. HOWEVER they wouldn't go for a requirement that all new members become GOAL members (I didn't even try to force current members to comply). I tried like hell twice and failed to get the votes to make that happen. SO, I got a "suggested voluntary $5 contribution to GOAL" line added to the annual bills. I had to make a motion for this to happen at each annual meeting, but got no opposition. I have no idea if that has continued since I quit that club. [This ~300 member club used to collect ~$600/year for GOAL this way.]

When I joined BR&P, I tried to make GOAL membership mandatory (same as above, new members only) and got my head handed to me at the annual meeting. Attempts to get the voluntary $5 contribution listed on the bills as a "suggestion" got an OK once, but was never implemented.

Another club (which shall remain nameless) had mandatory GOAL membership before I joined it. Some officers vocalized that because said club (of ~300 members) was 100% GOAL, all our laws should have changed and thus they personally didn't support GOAL any more. Keeping the 100% GOAL requirement was a constant battle and at one point the opposition won. I left that club after a few years and have no idea about their current status.

A club I currently belong to is somewhat supportive of GOAL, although there are some there who feel that GOAL does nothing/little for us/question the effectiveness of GOAL. The club does not require GOAL membership to join.

Personally I really like the idea of adding a "suggested voluntary $5 contribution to GOAL" to the bill at each gun club. That would help GOAL immensely, without forcing anyone to do something they don't want to do. It's also easier to "sell" to the club officers/BOD. Thus, I'm offering it as a suggestion for any interested parties to propose at their clubs.

Most folks have no idea how any political process works and thus figure that an org is useless if they can't get a pro-gun bill to pass every time they try.

While I certainly appreciate that many people are anti-NRA, the benefits of being an NRA-affiliated club are pretty strong. Just one example is the availability of low-interest loans for capital improvements. However, the anti-NRA types won out.

Now, that is sad. I have personal issues with the NRA myself, respect that I am NOT going to discuss them here. (If you must know, start digging in the really OLD threads on this forum, you might find it.) Leave it that my money goes elsewhere, and I can't donate to ALL of them.

That being said, a club being NRA affiliated is a 100% "no-brainer".

Some of the key benefits for the club are already stated, along with a decent deal on decent insurance and it gives the club more credibility.

GOAL is also a "NO-BRAINER". Folks from Mass, open your eyes, and open them W I D E.

GOAL is about the ONLY group fighting for you. The best bang for your buck, by far.

Hell, if the CCW fee reduction for non-residents had passed, I was going to get one, and guess what? I was going to join GOAL myself, and I don't even go to Mass that often, let alone that I don't LIVE there. And, I'm not all that close, distance wise. Still would've been worth it.

Another one is Copicut in Westport. There are others.

NRA insurance is met at 50%.

If nobody was trying to shut down clubs or owning guns, I could see some taking the view of why join. Not the case and if I had a choice, I would align with a club that understood it.

No organization meets everyone's needs and philosophies. If you think NRA is too aggressive, there are weaker ones. If you think they are too soft, Join GOA.

Sitting on the sidelines is like bleeding to death slowly.

If you don't want to feel guilty joining NRA, GOAL, etc, volunteer for a gun cause, give money, do something else or just jump on the free-ride train with your ears and eyes closed.

There are plenty of organizations you can affiliate with.

Dana

Well, I damned sure am going to be one of the LAST ones to say the NRA is too agressive.

Try too compromising.

Own a foreign made Battle Rifle (or Close Combat Carnbine)? Tough, we don't care if you get to own them or not. That pretty much states my issue with the NRA. They don't represent me well. JPFO, GOA and others do much better.

Want a Machine Gun? Well, tough again. No more of them to be made, because we don't care about you, either.

Got a problem with those statements? I certainly do, and there's your answer WHY.

All good information. My quick view is anyone that thinks the NRA is soft, rolls over, or gets too much money..., join Gun Owners of America, GOA, http://www.gunowners.org/

They are national, aggressive, and focused.

Second Amendment Foundation is tax deductible, http://www.saf.org/

Again, if anyone feels a membership in some organization is a bother, just give $.

Do you think people believe everything about PETA, AARP, yet people join them.

GOAL is it for MA. There is only so much they can do. Baby steps are difficult for them because they represent MA! They can't turn MA into VT. The general population by a slight majority supports guns, hunting, non-extremene gun laws. Not the case in MA and when gun owners and hunters, etc don't support GOAL then there hands are tied.

Lastly, if you still have a problem, then give to GOAL, GOA, NRA foundations that just do education or something and get a tax deduction. Lastly, if all else fails earmark the money to legal defense funds.

Dana

Personally, I'm just about tapped out. I joined NRA, GOAL and have sent more money that I should have to various causes and raffles. I think when the gun grab eventually begins, people are gonna realize that for a few pennies a day they could have /should have paid when they had the chance.

Many who did pay to support such a worthy cause will be in their graves having had the principle belief that they would NEVER give up their guns, and standing their ground.

We may never even know what happened as many of the fallen may be law abiding citizens such as yourself.

In a Democracy, you get what you deserve. If you don't vote, screw!

Join G.O.A.L

I just rec'd my membership proganda!!! [smile]

Expiration 201110

ID No. 132839

I'm one of the late ones!

now to get this C&R Form done... [wink] -maybe next month

Back
Top Bottom