GOAL has only..........

Charity begins at home. GOAL first, NRA second.

+1 there. I cannot say enough about the hard work and effort of Jim, Nancy Jon and the rest of the GOAL crew. All good to the core people and it shocks and saddens me that we have about 5% of MA gun owners as members.

some people aren't going to like to hear this but, i'm not a member, and the way i see it is look at the laws in mass, possibly the worst in the nation, goal has failed, why would I give them(waste) money, they've already proven themselves *totally* ineffective. Same with the NRA, I don't even think the nra knows mass exists.

They are fighting an uphill battle without resources because of people with that attitude. If we where all members and their recourses went up 1700% do you think that might make a difference? [rolleyes]

some people aren't going to like to hear this but, i'm not a member, and the way i see it is look at the laws in mass, possibly the worst in the nation, goal has failed, why would I give them(waste) money, they've already proven themselves *totally* ineffective. Same with the NRA, I don't even think the nra knows mass exists.

Okay, so what metrics and data are you using here to make such a sweeping statement of GOAL being "totally ineffective"? Drive me nuts when people make over generalised statements without backing up with supporting data. On what issues has GOAL been totally ineffective? Can you list the evidently long and sorry list of things they have attempted to do on behalf of US the legal gun owners of MA and been unable to pull off? It maybe that many legal gun owners in this state are more inclined to be NRA members than GOAL, but GOAL represents US in MA - they are there for our 2nd amendment rights. I am a proud member of this organization, I help where I can and donate to the GOAL foundation. If more people took an active role in supporting GOAL in this state ( and state that needs folks like GOAL) then maybe you wouldn't have the misguided impression of them being totally ineffective.

Loss of freedoms can be a slow and insidious process. A step here, a step there and before you know it you have lost certain fundamental rights - just look at the UK and Australia for example. GOAL is there to work on our behalves. let's get behind them and ensure they are successful, then at least we can rest assured we have a team of hard working, dedicated professionals looking out for our rights in this state. I urge everyone on this forum to recruit at least one new member each for GOAL.

Waste of money? I'm not even going to dignify that nonsensical statement with a response.

You are very ill-informed. [thinking]

Many clubs force NRA membership in the belief that it is required to be 100% NRA to get club property/liability insurance thru NRA. I honestly don't know if this is true, just that it is a wide-spread belief amongst many club's officers.

You are very ill-informed. [thinking]

Very much so.

If you've even paid a small amount of attention, you would see that they have not only made progress. But more so, kept MANY things from happening to lawful gun owners that would have made it all but impossible to legally own firearms in MA.

Do you think that we could have mounted a fight to keep our license fees from going up 100 bucks if GOAL didn't inform us? Small thing.

What about our terms going form 4 years to 6 years for that same 100 bucks? Was that you, no, can you say THANK YOU GOAL!

Pay some attention to what's being done for YOUR rights with limited funds...then make that asinine comment.

What about our terms going form 4 years to 6 years for that same 100 bucks? Was that you, no, can you say THANK YOU GOAL!

Haha, Love it. Everyone is on board til its time to shell out $30.

COME ON PEOPLE PUT YOU MONEY WHERE YOUR HEART IS.

Very much so.

If you've even paid a small amount of attention, you would see that they have not only made progress. But more so, kept MANY things from happening to lawful gun owners that would have made it all but impossible to legally own firearms in MA.

Do you think that we could have mounted a fight to keep our license fees from going up 100 bucks if GOAL didn't inform us? Small thing.

Pay some attention to what's being done for YOUR rights with limited funds...then make that asinine comment.

You are right, as is Derek, etc.

HOWEVER, if one is NOT a GOAL Member, they will never learn what GOAL is doing. The news media doesn't exactly beat down Jim's door to "get a story" to put on the evening news or publish in the paper. And if they publish/broadcast something it's almost always anti-gun slanted.

The only way to KNOW what GOAL is doing is to be "on the front lines" . . . read GOAL's info, talk with the staff, respond to their requests for action, etc.

There are a lot of people who feel the way this guy does, because they either have expectations that a few thousand members can turn around the entirety of MGLs or they have no clue what GOAL does.

A few officers of a club I used to belong to told Jim to his face at a meeting that "GOAL does nothing for gun owners". One of them said that because the club (at that time) was 100% GOAL (~300 members) that all the bad gun laws should have been abolished if GOAL was "doing its job". This shows no grasp of political realities in MA. Maybe if we had 1 million GOAL members we could turn the state around in a year or two . . . but only if they all actually voted pro-gun (many vote SSI, Medicare, etc.).

In closing . . . you are either part of the solution or you are part of the problem!

I grew up in a anti-gun liberal household. Wasn't even allowed to own a bb gun. But I new what was right and joined the NRA when I was 18. Bought my first gun at 21, been a NRA member every year since(9) and now it's time to join GOAL. Application printing out now

Your post demonstrates that you have not educated yourself as to what these organizations do on a regular basis and have accomplished (Heller vs DC?). As a recent joiner, I can only hope you either visit the websites and learn, or simply stop posting and be happy in your own ignorance.

GOAL is state

NRA is National

Join both, you are either part of the problem or part of the solution! We are our own worst enemies!

Your post demonstrates that you have not educated yourself as to what these organizations do on a regular basis and have accomplished (Heller vs DC?). As a recent joiner, I can only hope you either visit the websites and learn, or simply stop posting and be happy in your own ignorance.
Oh please inform me as to what goal did assist the heller case, I'm all ears! I'm not reffering to all gun owners groups, just this one. If I didn't live in mass I'd be a nra member, but they cant even find mass on a map.

What are they doing now after the heller case? A lawsuit anywhere to be found? Not as far as I can tell. Sending teabag's to boston though? Yeah, thats covered and no doubt will be extremely effective </sarcasm>

Oh please inform me as to what goal did assist the heller case, I'm all ears! I'm not reffering to all gun owners groups, just this one. If I didn't live in mass I'd be a nra member, but they cant even find mass on a map.

What are they doing now after the heller case? A lawsuit anywhere to be found? Not as far as I can tell. Sending teabag's to boston though? Yeah, thats covered and no doubt will be extremely effective </sarcasm>

Who do you think funded the Heller case (FYI the NRA), now with a suit in Chicago and another in California to further gun rights. Maybe this link will help educate you a bit as to what the NRA is doinghttp://www.nraila.org/default.aspx
GOAL on the other hand is poorly supported by gun owners (12,000 GOAL members (and not all MA residents) vs ~250K registered gun owners in MA) what do you expect when you won't do anything to add your support to them. Maybe if 10 or 20% of the MA gun owners did something GOAL's efforts could be expanded and be more effective. At today's prices you're talking about two or three boxes of good ammo for both memberships, so do all gun owners a service and join.

Who do you think funded the Heller case (FYI the NRA),
No.
"The case that became D.C. v. Heller was the brainchild of three lawyers at a pair of libertarian organizations, the Cato Institute and the Institute for Justice."
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB121642051369066401.html?mod=googlenews_wsj
It's my understanding the NRA had nothing to do with heller. But they are taking advantage of it now, which is a lot more that can be said for goal. The only thing I see goal doing right now is sending teabag's to boston.

Maybe this link will help educate you a bit as to what the NRA is doing
No need, I'm quite aware the NRA is only useless when it comes to massachusetts.

GOAL on the other hand is poorly supported by gun owners (12,000 GOAL members (and not all MA residents) vs ~250K registered gun owners in MA) what do you expect when you won't do anything to add your support to them.
Was it always just 12,000? Or where there more when they were either failing to stop mass from passing all these laws, or not even trying? Educate me.

I'm one of the former 1.whatever million licensed owners, I decided not to be extorted for $100 and let my ltc expire. I noticed heller a while back, then when they won started paying attention to whats going on in mass now to see if anything is going to change. The only thing i've seen from goal since heller is the tea bag idea. If they are doing anything worthwhile go right ahead and inform me, ill happily join, but in the last month, the only thing i've seen from them is an idea to waste some stamps.

Why are you even on the forum Nitro? All you do is bitch and complain. What have YOU done to help the 2nd? You are a shining example of the typical liberal with that "What can you do for me mentality..."

GOAL can't "do anything with Heller" until the Heller decision is applied against the states through the 14th Amendment. That is the point of the Chicago gun case that Gura has already filed (see: http://www.chicagoguncase.com/). The MA SJC has already said we don't have an individual right to keep and bear arms, which was challenged and lost. So until we get a federal right we can only try and educate as many people as possible and keep the pressure on to stop the progress of the banners.

But maybe you don't see any utility in that, having given up your guns and your license.

Oh an the NRA thought that GOAL was the best state gun org in the country as well...

http://goal.org/NRAaward.htm

But you're right Nitro, you're a hell of a lot more effective letting your LTC expire and bitching and moaning about how bad YOU have it. [rolleyes]

And what is effective? goal? Look at mass, what effect have they had ever? Name a more f***ed up state to be a gun owner in?

I can't debate you when you are so far removed from the facts. PDM listed states that are well worse than MA. Keep your bitching, I'll keep fighting and shooting.

I'm one of the former 1.whatever million licensed owners, I decided not to be extorted for $100 and let my ltc expire. I noticed heller a while back, then when they won started paying attention to whats going on in mass now to see if anything is going to change. The only thing i've seen from goal since heller is the tea bag idea. If they are doing anything worthwhile go right ahead and inform me, ill happily join, but in the last month, the only thing i've seen from them is an idea to waste some stamps.

Did you get rid of your guns when your license expired, or a felony waiting to happen?

And what is effective? goal? Look at mass, what effect have they had ever? Name a more f***ed up state to be a gun owner in?

I can't debate you when you are so far removed from the facts. PDM listed states that are well worse than MA. Keep your bitching, I'll keep fighting and shooting.

Do you read??? I see that you posted a reply to everyone but me.

Let's see...if we didn't have GOAL

-Well, we'd be only allowed to buy one gun a month.
-Our permits would be at least two hundred dollars every 4 years, not six...and I wouldn't be suprised if it would be every year.
-Don't forget that there wouldn't be a filing to acknowledge the June 26, 2008 Supreme Court of the United States (SCOTUS) ruling on the Second Amendment in the state of MA.
-There wouldn't be any land in MA to hunt on.
-Members wouldn't be notified when to act by calling your Reps and Senators to urge or vote against issues on the Hill.

- Since you don't belong to GOAL, I'm sure that you're good friends with your Rep and Senator, right. Because GOAL doesn't do anything...you're doing it on your own, right? It's nice, I know...my Senator called me at my home the other day to discuss the Budget ammendment.

I'm guessing that you're into teaching, right? You're an NRA/Mass Firearms Instructor? You take the women out and teach Women On Target classes? You do the Eddie Eagle Classes and spread the Gun Safety to the next Generation?

I'm guessing anyone can call you, and you'll give them educated, informative, legal advice? And you can tell them everyone in any town who can teach the MA class if they don't live close to you, right?

That's wonderful. But SHIT, it's good that you do that, as GOAL doesn't do shit for the gun owners in MA.

What pisses me off, if you had a problem, you can call GOAL and they will help you...or direct you in the correct location. With out you even being a member.

It doesn't piss me off that they do that...that's just another thing that GOAL does...it would piss me of that they would help a tool like you.

But maybe you would become more informed...so it might work for the better.

Seriously, if you people can look at massachusetts laws and consider goal to be doing a good job enjoy your little fantasy worlds. I just dont see it at all.

Carry on.

That's what we Massachusett's gun owners will do. Carry on. We have no choice. The alternative is unacceptable. Whether you believe it or not, GOAL is on our side. We are on GOAL's side. I'd rather stand with 12,000 gun owners and one small grass roots organization that are doing everything possible to preserve my gun rights then place my hope in my elected officials to do the right thing. You made your choice and gave up your rights to own a firearm in this state.

When the price increase was proposed did you do anything? Did you call or write your representatives to say you did not support it? Did you join one of the several rallys that were held in Boston? If not, what did you expect to happen? Insulting us gun owners that did not give up our rights is not exactly how you show support. Fine, you don't think GOAL did anything. Your entitled to your opinion, but so are we. We choose to stand with them and will not give up. Your moving to NH. Be ever vigilante there. Seems some MA liberal antis are starting up there. If NH follows MA what will you do? Join the fight or run? How far do you run before there is no place left for you to go? Your either a person who believes in the Second Ammendment , which puts you on the same side as us. Or your a liberal troll looking to rile some people up. I'm starting to lean towards you being a troll. Prove me wrong.

Back
Top Bottom