GOAL has only..........

Fixxah

NES Member
I was quite surprised to read on another post that GOAL only has 12,000 members. What the f**k is that all about? It seems to me that there are 240,000 LTC permits in Ma. Do people really not care if only a few carry the fight for many? This kind of turns my stomach to be honest with you. If gun owners continue this passive attitude towards providing funds for fighting "Th e Man" we are screwed, to be blunt. I'll be the first to admit that all the mail from NRA makes my head spin, but my wife and I have given whatever we could over the years. We receive no less than 20 calls per week looking for money for various causes, and have created voice message that would dissuade all but the most ardent money hound. Having an autistic nephew and a neice who was born missing part of her brain has given us an insight to disabilities that many will never experience, thank God. Please give what you can to worthy causes and let's support Goal and Norfolk Co. League etc. and right the wrongs that we have seen and help prevent more BS in the future. Didn't mean to rant.....sorry 'bout that. John

I belong to the NRA because my club requires it, and GOAL because it actually does something for me. If more clubs gave people a choice between the two, instead of blindly pushing the NRA, I bet more would be members.

Jamie and I push GOAL hard in our classes. I get Jon to send me goal applications, we print them off and hand them out..

We're even buying boxes of Outdoor Messages to hand out to our students so they can read them during the breaks.

It drives us nuts as well. We're not sure how many people we've gotten to sign up at GOAL, as we don't put our information on the the apps as references.

It doesn't matter how many people we get to join, just as long as people join!

It is pretty sad. What's even more sad is that I know of at least 2 NH residents off the top of my head that are GOAL members and still donate. I can only imagine that there are several more, so that 12,000 member thing isn't even restricted to MA members. [thinking]

+1 for you. I also push Goal hard in my classes. I also tell them about NES.

Jamie and I push GOAL hard in our classes. I get Jon to send me goal applications, we print them off and hand them out..

We're even buying boxes of Outdoor Messages to hand out to our students so they can read them during the breaks.

It drives us nuts as well. We're not sure how many people we've gotten to sign up at GOAL, as we don't put our information on the the apps as references.

It doesn't matter how many people we get to join, just as long as people join!

I didn't know GOAL even existed 10 years ago, and at that point I had been an NRA lifer for 15 years. I didn't discover them until I was setting up the paperwork to buy my first rifle from the CMP, and needed a qualifying local club. When I looked on the CMP's list for MA, I found them.

I'm not sure how to best increase the 240,000s awareness that GOAL exists, though. I'm betting that this forum is an effective recruiting tool - I know the larger of the two clubs I belong to doesn't really push it. Would it help to put up a sticky in General Discussion to attract the attention of someone new wandering in? One who's title doesn't include the acronym "GOAL", since a random passerby isn't going to know what that means unless we tell them.

It is pretty sad. What's even more sad is that I know of at least 2 NH residents off the top of my head that are GOAL members and still donate. I can only imagine that there are several more, so that 12,000 member thing isn't even restricted to MA members. [thinking]

There are a lot of NH residents who are members of GOAL. Most are refugees from PRM and fully understand WHY they need to support GOAL to prevent creeping antis from encroaching on NH laws.

Conversely, I'm a Charter Member of Pro-Gun NH.

Charity begins at home. GOAL first, NRA second.

Fully agree. I've been a big GOAL cheerleader for a lot of years . . . although I admit falling off that perch here on NES a while ago but I've "seen the light". The synergy between NES and GOAL crystallized for me at the July 4th Shoot.

What most don't realize, and I didn't understand the impact either, is that DEREK has probably done more to assist GOAL financially in the past 3+ years since he created NES than any other person since GOAL's creation in the mid-1970s.

NRA actually does some good things in MA, but behind the scenes, working with GOAL. If GOAL isn't strong, NRA can't accomplish anything or help us in MA! NRA does not operate in a "public" way in MA . . . if they were to attempt to do that, they would be written off as "outsiders", so it is most important for a strong GOAL to be the front-org for any efforts in MA.

If every GOAL member on NES made it a point to get at least one new GOAL member each year our member base and effectiveness would increase greatly.

Getting one person to sign up for GOAL each year is pretty easy. The next non GOAL member to post in this thread will get a free membership from me today. Just let me know who you are. [wink]

See it's just that easy. [grin]

I'm not doing this intentionally but have you ever thought about this people?

Let's take the flabby 800lb gorilla, the NRA. You have gun owners who won't join the NRA because they don't do enough for the hunters. They believe that the NRA is too involved in politics to be an effective organization for wildlife issues ( which I call BS... looked at a few of the last issues of the American Rifleman lately? It's nothing but hunting with some history lessons thrown in!) Other people don't like them because they aren't hardcore enough on gun control issues. Other people just don't care about it enough that it shows up on their radar of things to do. Right or wrong, these are some of the reasons the NRA doesn't have 10 million members right now.

GOAL... this one is a toughy. How do you get the message out in a state with people that range from EBR owners to people that just want your guns to end up in one big molten glob of metal somewhere? I know some people that would qualify as Fudds that just believe that nothing will happen to their guns - "The government won't do that!" is usually the first thing out of their mouths. These people are so out of touch that it would take a slap across the face to get their attention. I don't even try with this group anymore.

I don't ask too many people to go shooting with me to try and get converts. First reason is that I just don't want to complete the image of who I am in their eyes. Hell, I can't even get some of you people to ask or say something to me at events, so how do you think a co-worker would feel! :) Second reason is just me - I'm beyond the converting stage now. Even though we have a victory in Heller you still see the anti's going on and on that restrictions are still okay. We won't get enough people in time to stop this maddness. Look at the choices for president this year - we're screwed! Too many people belive that government is who we should turn to for help for everything and the People's Republic is loaded with these types of persons ( some even own guns.) You will always have a small group of people holding cards for an organization that is supposed to represent something unless you make it madatory that everyone be a member.

Joe R. ( who hasn't had breakfest yet and the mind is still groggy...)

Unfortunately there are gun owners that think belonging to GOAL, the NRA, or other gun organizations makes you a gun nut or an extremist. Even though there is overwhelming evidence that gun control does not work and only empowers the criminals and tyrants there are some gun owners that think all these restrictions are justified.
It is very sad that they do not realize the severity of their actions or actually lack of action in protecting and defending their rights.

And.... some of us NH'ers are members... so even less of the 240,000 MA gun owners are members.

If every GOAL member on NES made it a point to get at least one new GOAL member each year our member base and effectiveness would increase greatly.

Getting one person to sign up for GOAL each year is pretty easy. The next non GOAL member to post in this thread will get a free membership from me today. Just let me know who you are. [wink]

I agree....mabye it's easy for me because I work at Bass Pro. While I'm talking to people about guns, GOAL is an easy conversation to bring in...more so with the Supreme Court decision.

I asked Jon to send me a stand and a stack of GOAL memberships to put on the counter. It's now on the counter. I just hand them one and tell them the stats on Members of GOAL vs. Firearms owners. Give them a few examples of how GOAL has helped us over the years...and they leave with the app.

Now, if even one or two of them sign up, that's more than if I just kept my mouth shut.

And, being an Instructor, we have to teach MA Law. We start by talking about GOAL, we copy and hand out the GOAL Fact Sheets, and we go over them with the students. It's in their faces during the class.

Every time so far, as the students leave, we get a few people asking us questions, and more of the apps we leave for each of them aren't left on the table.

It doesn't take much...and 30 dollars a year is a good investment for having someone to fight the fights for us...along side of us.

And yes, NES has done A LOT for GOAL...and for that, I'm also thankful. And GOAL has done A LOT for NES. And I'm thankful for that as well.

So, it's not hard to see why I promote both sites pretty hard.

Dude, I might get my mom, who was anti-gun for as long as I can remember, to go trap shooting this weekend. A GOAL membership might not be far behind. [smile]

240,000 gun owners in mASSachusetts might be misleading. There are likely more who have let their licenses sunset (but who still own a firearm) and there are those who still think their FID is good for life. I heard one on a local talk show last month state he was a rifle owner with a lifetime FID.

And to help skew the numbers, I'm currently not licensed and have a 3-year-membership to GOAL along with my NRA membership.

Okay, I'm convinced

Printing my app now.

Time to re-join.

Also joining Gun Owners of America. Of course member of NRA.

Faxed it in!!
doobie, now you can only raz me a little ;)

Last edited:
I think my Dad is going to get an anonamous membership donated to him in the next day or two. Plus my wife is taking her safety class next Monday and will hopefully be a card carry ALP LTC Class A holder in the very near future. Not sure if there is a GOAL family membership, but if not I'll get her signed up as well.

Not sure if there is a GOAL family membership, but if not I'll get her signed up as well.

Yes there is. It's on the form, ~$5/year more than a single membership.

Also a very little known fact is that if you are a GOAL-Sustaining (life) Member, you can add your spouse as a GOAL-Sustaining Family Member for an additional $100.00. I've been a GOAL-Sustaining Member for almost 20 years and a while ago we added my Wife for the short change. [You have to call GOAL to do this one.]

Let do it. We should be ably to double the GOAL membership. Come on guys, we all know at least one shooter thats not a member. They should be ashamed to go to a club and shoot.

Been a lifetime GOAL and NRA member for a while. I had got a few people to join both, but I know that most dropped it in the last year or so as money got tighter.

If more clubs gave people a choice between the two, instead of blindly pushing the NRA, I bet more would be members.

+1
My club requires membership as well. Given the choice I'd much rather have an option of Goal OR NRA. I feel that NRA has largely written off Mass as a lost cause, I don't feel as though they do anything for us on the state level and compromise far too much on the natl level.

some people aren't going to like to hear this but, i'm not a member, and the way i see it is look at the laws in mass, possibly the worst in the nation, goal has failed, why would I give them(waste) money, they've already proven themselves *totally* ineffective. Same with the NRA, I don't even think the nra knows mass exists.

Back
Top Bottom