GOAL Alert - Senator Tarr's "Act to Protect Due Process" Focus Efforts On This Bill!

Mike, Are you suggesting that HD.4949 and SD.2637 will both be dropped in lieu of this new "Tarr" bill? There is very little time left to re-write letters calling for legislative action for our trip to the Statehouse tomorrow. What action are we requesting? Passage of one, two or all three bills?

If there is a definitive plan or recommendation, can it be added to the first page? We all need to be following the same plan here.

Thanks,

SD2637 was incorporated in Senator Tarr's bill, and we covered HD4949 already, so yes, focus on Tarr's

My rep and senator (tarr) are already on board, I plan to email my letter to the whole House and Senate asking for support of Tarr's bill.
Before I do, asking some advice:

-Is an email blast somehow harmful?
-Anyone heard if Comm2a has comments/position on Tarr's bill?

Edit- never mind, blast sent

Last edited:
I am confused. Is this replacing the 3 previous? Are we being divided? Vote for this, no vote for this, .....
I personally thought HD.4949 was correct. I understood it are removing all the copy/dup/list of firearms and
just keeps the current understanding. I wish these would be word in straight layman's English rather than the jargon.

- - - Updated - - -

Are we being divided? Vote for this, no vote for this, .....

Good question, surely we don't want to be, even though certain members are very condescending to the very people they hope show up and join them in the fight. Let's give those reps an earful tomorrow!

People: we're not writing the bill. We're not members of the legislature. Most of us aren't lawyers. Tomorrow is the last day for them to hear this stuff before they recess.

The ask is that you call your reps and senators and ask them to support Tarr's bill. Time is up.

...I say this looks very good. Hopefully it can pass.

Is Baker on board? Deleo? Keep up the pressure.

I'm wondering where Baker falls in all of this. Can they get him to sign the letters as well?

Someone (coyote33) said in the HD-4949 thread that they spoke with Deleo's office today and that they were pretty confident there would be a vote this weekend. (that thread switched to talking about Tarr's bill, that's the one I think he was asking Deleo's office about if I wasn't clear). Fingers crossed.

I emailed my Sen.'s and Deleo. My rep's Linsky so probably not worth the time.

I don't think I mentioned specific bills, since I didn't have all the info, but just the points of reeling in the AG lawmaking. DeLeo's, Baker's, and Rosenberg's office all seemed to think something would get voted on this weekend.

Would this bill make it so purchases of massified ARs and AKs would be legal going forward ala prior to the AG's directive? Also, would the approved handgun list be nixed?

Sent from my 5054N using Tapatalk

"The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step."

Let's hit the brakes on the AG overreach and start getting some momentum.

The ask is that you call your reps and senators and ask them to support Tarr's bill. Time is up.
Be sure to remind them that the upskirt bill went from an idea to passed by both houses and signed into law in less than 24 hours, so they do have time .... if they want to.

I am concerned that some are looking only for plausible deniability - not wanting to solve the problem, but being seen as on the side of trying to solve it. Sort of like how some congresspeople sometimes get "permission" to vote against a bill their constitutents hate, but the leadership wants - with permission being granted only because there are enough other votes to pass it.

Remember, politics is a full contact dirty sport where all that matters is winning.

Folks, concentrate on Tarr's bill and insist on an unamended bill, unless GOAL wants the amendment. I plan on telling any legislator that will listen that I intend to keep calling the governor, the AG and the legislative leadership EVERY DAY until Tarr's bill passes. That includes calling daily for the next 6 months if need be. They and their staff are worn down from the relentless calls, letters and emails. They probably sense it is coming to an end this weekend, even if they don't pass legislative relief. Let's show them that we will not give them an ounce of mercy. Plan on blowing up their phones again on Monday and every day if need be. That would quickly drag their butts back in for a special session.

If they even remotely sense that we are willing to continue flooding their lines next week and continuing for how ever long it takes, they will relent tomorrow and get this done, but we have to be WILLING to stay the course. No let up!!!

"I don't think I mentioned specific bills, since I didn't have all the info, but just the points of reeling in the AG lawmaking. DeLeo's, Baker's, and Rosenberg's office all seemed to think something would get voted on this weekend."

That's my bad then. That thread had started to talk about this bill so I jumped to conclusions. Hopefully they're right and something does come to a vote.

Last edited:
Here's an example of how seriously we are being taken. I just got an email from Radka Barter, the legislative aide for Rep Shaunna O'Connell, at 9:52 PM this evening. We do have legislators burning the midnight oil in order to make things happen tomorrow. Copy/paste below:

Good afternoon John,

Please email/call me tomorrow when you will be at the State House.We will be happy to meet you.

Thank you for your continuous effort.

Kind regards,

Radka Barter

Sent from Samsung Mobile.

-------- Original message --------
Date: 07/29/2016 5:45 PM (GMT-05:00)
To: "Barter, Radka (HOU)" <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: Bills RE AG--REP. O'Connell office

Great. It appears that GOAL is putting it's major effort into Sen Tarr's new, unnumbered bill. I read it and it appears to include much of the language from Sen Humason's earlier bill. Kathy and I will be at the State House tomorrow, so hopefully we can finally meet you and Rep O'Connell if time permits. I have also called the governor's office about this legislation, Sen Pacheco's office and the leadership for both the House and Senate. We are trying to give you folks in the General Court the weight of numbers that you need to empower you.

Thanks,
John

To: [email protected]
Sent: Friday, July 29, 2016 5:16:17 PM
Subject: Bills RE AG--REP. O'Connell office

Good afternoon John,

I have received your voice mail.Thank you so much for informing me with updates. I'm pleased to inform you that Rep.O'Connell is already so-sponsor of HD 4949 filed by Rep.Lombardo and she is also co-sponsor of Sen. Tarr 's bill, An Act to Protect Due Process and Strengthen Public Safety(Bill doesn't have a number yet).

I'm looking forward to hearing from you.

Thank you.

Kind regards,

Radka Barter.

There is no time to roll shit into shit. They're done on Sunday. Pray to God they vote on what's there already.

What he said. Tarr's bill is THE bill. This is the one GOAL wants. We are out of time for this session. Everybody who can get to the State House needs to get there. Those that can't make it should continue to flood their phones and email. There is sufficient pressure to make it work tomorrow as long as EVERYBODY pushes!!

Been so busy this week but I just finished emailing my reps and senator. We really need to get rid of Healey's "guidance". Getting rid of the AG's eops list would be a big bonus.

What he said. Tarr's bill is THE bill. This is the one GOAL wants. We are out of time for this session. Everybody who can get to the State House needs to get there. Those that can't make it should continue to flood their phones and email. There is sufficient pressure to make it work tomorrow as long as EVERYBODY pushes!!
I agree. I already did another mass flood of email's to the state and senate. Everyone should do a round of emails .

What is the game plan for tomorrow? Need to be told what to do when I go visit my legislators.

My plan is just to show my face, and let them know that they are my representative, and that the Attorney General for the State of Massachusetts held a press conference and told the world that I was a felon. Then she played some games, and said that she wouldn't try to send me to jail for ten years unless she woke up one day and decided to. Then I am going to ask them if THAT sounds like reasonable, thoughtful, government leadership, and I am going to ask that (no matter what their personal belief about the 2nd Amendment) he or she will give me their personal assurances that they work diligently to assure me that it will never happen again.

Read the whole bill and checked against the backround laws effected. Essentially it smoothes over our problems without acknowledging deeper concerns. Honestly, I'm not too sure I care if it passes or not. If I am to continue the summer an undocumented felon I am willing to throw months of support behind courtroom battles to get a more advantageous position.

Back
Top Bottom