Getting prepared- Carbines?

I've been thinking I'd like to get a long gun on the tax free weekend coming up for when TSHTF. I'm leaning towards a carbine in 9mm because 9mm is what I always have the most of. I don't really care about super-long range accuracy. I have my eye on the Beretta CX4 Storm because it's short, lightweight, and it can accept pre-ban magazines. Another important factor is durability and I don't really know how this gun rates for that. Should I be looking for other attributes in a bug-out long gun? The only weakness I can think of in this situation is that it would be tough to take down a deer with 9mm. If there is a migration in my future I don't think I'd want to take along a deer rifle, though. Would anyone care to point me in a different direction?

Was just recently turned on to the Hi Point after reading this thread.

Carbine

Ruger also makes a decent carbine, and it can (I think) take pre-ban higher capacity magazines.

That, or a .357, .45 Colt, etc. lever action carbine.

I guess I am in love with the look of the Storm and thr Beretta name but that Hi-point could save me a lot of cash! Hmmm... now I have some research to do and a decision to make...

Get an AR or even a Ruger Mini-14, or an AK firing (whatever
caliber you like) and you'll generally be better off. Hell, I'd
even consider an SKS. (cheap + reliable, plenty of stopping
power with 7.62 x 39 JSPs)

If I was told I -had- to use a PCC for SHTF, I'd want to have an
M1 Carbine. With JSP hunting type ammo it probably does pretty
well against 2 legged critters (and otherwise)... although an M1
is almost "not" a PPC, but it kind of straddles this definition a bit.

The only real reason I would get a 9mm PCC is if I
couldn't afford anything else. I realize this may be a
consideration, given that 9mm is just about the least expensive
cartridge around that can still stop 2 legged critters, with the
right ammo. Actually, if cost is an issue one might be better
off just sticking with a 12 gauge. You can still reach out to
typical combat ranges with some slugs added into the equation. It
also makes a versatile hunting gun as well, as you can switch shot
types to suit the animal you're after. You could probably pick
up two scatterguns and some ammo for the price of a beretta
storm. (And as I mentioned above, the SKS is probably still
cheaper than any of this stuff.... )

-Mike

I got a KelTec SU-16 for similar purposes. It uses the same mags and ammo as AR15s but has a cleaner action (piston v.s. direct gas).

I'm really set on a 9mm carbine for my next gun. I go to the range quite often so I want to get something I can shoot often and easily find ammo in stock. For long range planning I like how I can carry a crapload more of 9mm than any rifle sized cartridges. I've almost ruled out the Storm and I'm really pointing a sharp eye at the Hi-Point and the Kel-Tec Sub2000. The best thing about the Hi-Point is the price and their no-nonsense warranty. My favorite thing about the Kel-Tec is the fact that you can use certain handgun magazines in certain models. They make a big deal about how it folds in half but this doesn't seem nearly as amazing to me as they make it out to be.

Still thinking....

just my 2 cents....

If I were in your shoes, I would go with a bushmaster ar-15 in 9mm. You would have the 9mm you want and with the simple change of the upper reciever (and magazine) switch to another caliber. You can even go all the way up to .50 Beowulf.
Good luck in your search!

9mm Carbines

I have a Storm and love it for all of the reasons you stated. Cheap to shoot, ammo is handy but for whats its worth I would agree with the AK or SKS choice. The round is far more effective, the rifle can take a beating and keep going. The storm needs cleaning after use unlike an AK. The Storm when dirty will jam[frown] and when you need it thats the last thing you want. We are talking about times when we would not be sitting in a warm place and have our cleaning area handy. Thats why the AK is or SKS would be my pick. Hope this was helpful.

God Bless our Troops

Ya know, the nice thing about an M1 Carbine is that there are LOTS of PRE-BAN magazines available... (something to consider if you live in MA!) and they pack considerably more punch than a 9mm poodleshooter.

Downside is that yes, ammo is more expensive. Are you gonna worry about how much you paid for the ammo when TSHTF? Or will you be happy that whatever you hit goes down.

If SHTF considerations are your primary concern, stick with rifle calibers.
Personally I'd recommend AK [devil2] in the traditional 7.62X39.
Much cheaper, more reliable & less maintenance than any AR.
30 or 40 round magazines and 75 round drums ( pre-ban) can still be found.

*flame suit ON*
target.gif

*ducks & runs*
bolt.gif

I definitely agree with the AK! I have a few of them which I love... and even keep a WASR that I shoot often clean rarely. I beat my WASR like a rented mule and it has always managed to make me smile. I got the feeling though that the original poster had his heart set on 9mm.
In any event I keep my two best AK's, 1K of ammo and an expedition pack at the ready with enough supplies for two weeks for my wife, daughter and I. I'm not paranoid... just prepared!

I don't mean this in any way to rain on your choice, but I don't really understand carrying around something the size of a carbine/rifle that shoots a pistol caliber unless you're gaming a competition, plinking, or it's full auto and you're clearing rooms with it as part of a police squad. If you have in the back of your mind some emergency practical use for it, like you seem to, then you're talking about a different gun.

I also recommend an AK for the carbine role. Mine's in .223.

Last edited:
If SHTF ever happens I think the last thing on my mind will be pre ban/post ban. I'll find a 33 rounder Glock mag for my Kel Tec Sub 2000 should I need a carbine to protect myself.

You'll find it in the midst of the S hitting the F? Ray, you'll be a daddy soon - I'd be willing to bet that the only thing you'll be thinking of is getting your wife and son to safety.

Get the mags now - so that's one less thing to be panicking about while the excrement is impacting the rotary air circulation device. [wink]

You'll find it in the midst of the S hitting the F? Ray, you'll be a daddy soon - I'd be willing to bet that the only thing you'll be thinking of is getting your wife and son to safety.

Get the mags now - so that's one less thing to be panicking about while the excrement is impacting the rotary air circulation device. [wink]

True. My ife will be getting her license in a few months after the baby is born. I'm still trying to get my 11 year old daughter to pick up a .22, the most she'll shoot now is my pellet guns.
Carbines would be a good choice for the wife and daughter to use. An M1 for the Wife and a 10/22 for my daughter.
If we ever do have a disaster situation where we need to pick up arms, its nice to know I have enough to arm my family.

Brother, I've seen your closet. You've got enough to arm your family, and my family, and Ross's family, and the 42 dozen illegal Guatemalens down the street...

[wink]

True. My ife will be getting her license in a few months after the baby is born. I'm still trying to get my 11 year old daughter to pick up a .22, the most she'll shoot now is my pellet guns.
Carbines would be a good choice for the wife and daughter to use. An M1 for the Wife and a 10/22 for my daughter.
If we ever do have a disaster situation where we need to pick up arms, its nice to know I have enough to arm my family.

Brother, I've seen your closet. You've got enough to arm your family, and my family, and Ross's family, and the 42 dozen illegal Guatemalens down the street...

[wink]

The Guats can fend for themselves. Any group of people that can work 12 hr shifts in the fish houses, go home to a 4 room apartment with 10 people living in it and live on chicken and rice all their lives could probably outsurvive Les Stroud.[hmmm]
Besides, 90% of my guns are twice as big and 4 times as old as the Guatemalans around here.[laugh]

Keep working on your daughter... she'll come to the Dark Side eventually. But pick M1's for both of them - there's really very little recoil to the M1 carbine, and it packs just a wee bit more punch than a .22. (although if she can do headshots, it might not matter much!)

You know, I called around a bunch of shops, and they all said the 9mm carbines are hard to get. I guess both Ruger and HighPoint have stopped making them. Is that true? What does that leave for new 9mm carbines (other than Uzi)? Nobody has seen any used ones, either.

my pick is a ak. It will put meat on the table and keep intruders away. Very easy to shoot, almost never jams and needs almost no cleaning. at $100 for 500 rnds it rivals the 9mm in cost. [smile]

in my opinion, if your going to choose a 9mm carbine as the main weapon to defend yourself with, then your asking for some big trouble. 9mm is weak compared to a 5.56 or 7.62. pick something that can reach out and touch someone and shoot them at close range. AR or AK are very cost effective.

I'm really set on a 9mm carbine for my next gun. I go to the range quite often so I want to get something I can shoot often and easily find ammo in stock.
Any place that has 9mm ammo will also have .223.

Sorry, but 9mm is such a weak round (particularly in FMJ) compared to .223, that I simply can not understand the point of a 9mm carbine. It is too big to be concealable and won't reach out and touch someone. For a SHTF scenario, I would NOT want a 9mm carbine.

A class III HK MP-5 certainly has a coolness factor and it is very short overall. But few of us can afford the $20,000 required to get a transferable one.

I recommend an AR or AK.

Last edited:
Any place that has 9mm ammo will also have .223.

Sorry, but 9mm is such a weak round (particularly in FMJ) compared to .223, that I simply can not understand the point of a 9mm carbine. It is too big to be concealable and won't reach out and touch someone. For a SHTF scenario, I would NOT want a 9mm carbine.

A class III HK MP-5 certainly has a coolness factor and it is very short overall. But few of us can afford the $20,000 required to get a transferable one.

I recommend an AR or AK.

heh you just totaly repeated what i said! copycat! haha
also, MP5's are super overrated.

In addition, there are far more people making AR and AK clones and accessories than there are making pistol caliber carbines. As a result, you have a lot more choice. If you want to mount a flashlight on your AR, you've got at least 1/2 a dozen good choices. If you want a forward vertical grip, there's a bunch to choose from. If you want to run an optic, you've got dozens of mounting choices -- carry-handle forward mount, flat-top with fixed front sight, flat-top with no front sight, flip-up front and rear sights, etc. If you want a fixed stock, you can get them in different lengths (from Sully stock to A2).

If you want AR ergonomics but you're a piston guy, you can spend big bucks and get a piston upper. If you don't like .223 and are willing to spend a stupid amount of money per round, you get one 6.5 Grendel or 6.8 SPC.

The AR market is soooo much bigger than the pistol carbine market that you have so many more good choices. And some bad choices too [laugh]

If you want a 9mm carbine go with an Uzi German mags are plentiful and you really don't need to clean them.

Amen brother...If you must have a 9mm carbine, (seems you have your mind made up) - get an Uzi. Yes, they are expensive, (please stick to an original IMI if you can), but they are robust, reliable and accurate. Mags are cheap and with the right ammo you can do some major damage. I have been shooting up a case of Speer 9mm GDHP +P in my IMI Model B and it's pretty vicious...

Back
Top Bottom