• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Preparedness in event of nukes

K98

I'm not one of those "preppers" that has 2 years of rice and beans in the basement, but one has to think about "what if" an event did occur? A south pacific nuke attack would have nuke fallout released into the atmosphere and travel towards the northwest and then into the U.S. jet stream. I can see the U.S. crops being affected as well as livestock and so on.

So what would a must have checklist be for prepping? Obviously canned goods, water, etc. I do remember when Mt St. Helens blew her top. Here in the northeast we had fallout for several days. Not as bad as the plain states did, but it amazingly did reach New England. That event did affect grocery prices due to fallout.

What's on your checklist?

Water first of all. Medicatuons if they are life critical. Potassium iodide for everyone in the event of fallout. Food you can prepare without power. Heat if it is the winter. And of course protection and think through a personal defense plan, how would i protect my own as the FSA would come out in force quickly, and your own neighbors if it goes on long enough.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Move out of CA or WA, for starters. Let's suppose NK had a firecracker that could reach the US. Possible....where would it land? No one really knows - NK isn't exactly the world-leader in Intercontinental guidance systems. His rocket could go up, no telling exactly where it would come-down. Therefore, 'anywhere' would be the worst-case assumption. Unfortunately, that would cut your reaction-time by half, and truth-be-told, you wouldn't be told at-all. Uncle Sam doesn't want a National Panic, so you'd learn about it AFTER it impacted, and then Trump calls an emergency-session and declares war, yada-yada-yada.

First of all, I wonder what the fallout amount is from a NK Nuke versus what was released at Chernobyl?

I remember at the time, I was working on contract to the Air Force, and sensors at some of our sites started detecting the radiation a week or so after.
And the scientist I was talking with said the levels were nothing to worry about this far away.

Guam is a long way from here, so I sure am not going to worry about.

Tincture of iodine instead of potassium iodide. 10 drops per liter kills the bacteria and flushes the thyroid with about 30 times the recommended daily dose of iodine. Use Google and check it out.

1 little bottle does 3 wonderful things: purify water, disinfect cuts, and flushes the thyroid with iodine.

Buy several at the drugstore. They are less than $5 each.

Sent from the Warlock Command Center

Not so sure I would care about living in a post apocalyptic world like Mad Max,it looks like I would always be thirsty and hot.I'm preparing for something that I would like to live through,for instance a 2 week long blackout.Or even the riots that would happen once somebody decides that people are getting too much free stuff,and they ask people to work for their .gov cheese.

Own lots of ammo and trade one bullet per item needed from your neighbors [smile]

Me and my Girl started a "Bomb Shelter Food storage" awhile ago, Ecery time we go to the store we grab something and put it in the basement closet. Boxes of Ramen noodles, Bags of rice, boxes of pasta, big containers of peanut butter, canned goods, Vitamins and gallons of water. It's just a start really, probably 2 months worth of food. We add a little at a time and to be quite honest I don't think we will ever be "Ready" candles, Bleach and toilet paper are must haves too.

I'm not one of those "preppers" that has 2 years of rice and beans in the basement, but one has to think about "what if" an event did occur? A south pacific nuke attack would have nuke fallout released into the atmosphere and travel towards the northwest and then into the U.S. jet stream. I can see the U.S. crops being affected as well as livestock and so on.

So what would a must have checklist be for prepping? Obviously canned goods, water, etc. I do remember when Mt St. Helens blew her top. Here in the northeast we had fallout for several days. Not as bad as the plain states did, but it amazingly did reach New England. That event did affect grocery prices due to fallout.

What's on your checklist?
Cresson Kearny Wrote a book on this subject. It is free on line from many web sites, just google his name.

Start with these https://www.amazon.com/iOSAT-Potass...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=0NN8D8GJPG3Z561S2RDE

Then get yourself some Tincture of iodine and print off the mixing instructions. Duct tape and heavy mill plastic, that way if you have to seal off a room or a floor on your house you can. Water, bottles or larger containers, a fast and cheap large container is plastic trash cans with lids.

Pick up a small metal trash can for a Faraday cage to protect things like a hand held ham, a AM/FM radio and some two ways. You can also put in things like a Batt invertor and maybe a small solar panel.

Meds or prescriptions try and get ahead by maybe telling your Doc your traveling over seas and want to have your next month pre loaded. Never tried it just passing on what others have said they did. Gauze and First Aid is simple Wal-mart I found is the cheapest for stock up stuff. Pain killers, gauze, tape and even enema bags can be used to rehydrate some one who is throwing up or passing out for whatever reason.

Of course food and Ammo, but those are expected.

Jason.

High filtration rate dust masks N95 is what you are looking for. Fallout = dust, some types of radiation can be stopped by clothing, if you breath it - so long Charlie.

Literally thousands of nukes were detonated above ground everywhere during the Cold War. You can google fallout maps and see where the hot spots were and possibly still are. You can run but you can't hide from the fallout. Don't worry, be happy and have a good supply of #1,000 sunblock handy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The best thing to have in a nuke strike is those moist butt wipes,so you have a clean ass when you kiss it goodbye.

Well if your going all the way don't forget a good piece of donkey.

Hide out for a minimum of 2 weeks m. After that the fallout will have settled and the radiation levels will drop.

If you don't have food, water, seeds and land to grown on, life will still go on. Go buy a couple cases and canned food that you like and a few cases of Poland spring. Water is like $4 a case at Walmart.

my training from grammar school will kick in..."duck and cover" then hope for the best. my attitude, if i'm close enough to worry about it no sack of beans or jugs of water is gonna save my ass.

If surviving something like that means living below ground and sucking down rice and beans for the foreseeable future.......

Well. It's been a good run but no thanks.

That sort of world ending scenario is not something I would care to be a part of. I'll prep for short term disaster and civil unrest, but nuclear winter-esk type scenarios......time to find out if God exists.

Back
Top Bottom