• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Discrete preparedness gear at work

I work in a school setting, so there are limits to the type of gear I can have on hand at work. This means I have to be a bit creative in thinking about ways to be prepared for a worst case scenario in school, which for me would be the active shooter scenario. (I have a GHB in the car and don't work far from home, so not too worried about most other disaster related scenarios.)

Anyway, I came across this item on ebay and thought I would share. It's the type of thing that doesn't really stand out much, but could provide a small measure of protection in a bad situation and in my opinion something is always better than nothing. It fits in a briefcase or backpack and provides a IIIa level of protection. (Won't protect against a rifle round.)

s-l1600.jpg

I also keep a trauma kit and a hammer (you know for hanging up stuff) in my office.

Anyway, do any of you work in similar restrictive environments and do you have any unique methods of "prepping" at work?

I prefer integrated preparedness gear over discrete gear

With dual-use items, less need to be discreet.

At our California office we had earthquake kits in every room, contained a lot of useful gear and also justified having additional prepardness stuff handy.

Nice idea. Hide in plain sight. Maybe put (store) some duct tape on back. When lock-down happens and you hear pops down the hall, tape it to your chest under your shirt.

That's pretty interesting. I'd be curious to see if it will actually stop a high powered handgun round. It's definitely more subtle than hanging a plate carrier in the corner of your classroom. [rofl]

Why not just order a 12x18 sheet of AR500 3/8 I believe will stop a .308

Well that was the original plan, but I would have a hard time explaining why I'm carrying around a 10 pound metal plate. I am still thinking about throwing one in a backpack to keep in my office and just use the clipboard as my "EDC" so to speak.

ELSA Briefcase plate carrier.

I suggested this to some folks I know who work in Boston and surrounding areas who after random shootings got nervous but either work where they can't carry anything and/or are full on anti-gun types. They all said I was being paranoid even though they brought up the topic and I said "fine, if you at some point find yourself cowering beneath your desk and you're spotted I'm sure you can hash it out with a psycho why they shouldn't shoot you". Fast forward a few shootings and two of them got a hold of me privately and I texted them the link. It's amazing that they, while highly educated, can't seem to wrap their heads around someone wanting to do them harm.

Last edited by a moderator:
Awesome piece of gear, Christian.

Colion Noir made a good case in a recent video for anti's to adopt body armor as a non violent response to violence.

don't forget to keep about 5 pounds of salt and black pepper for your meals. Just make sure that that no kids throw around into somebody's eyes because it would really burn.

Why not just order a 12x18 sheet of AR500 3/8 I believe will stop a .308

Well that was the original plan, but I would have a hard time explaining why I'm carrying around a 10 pound metal plate. I am still thinking about throwing one in a backpack to keep in my office and just use the clipboard as my "EDC" so to speak.

"Because nobody else will protect me, and you won't let me be armed."

don't forget to keep about 5 pounds of salt and black pepper for your meals. Just make sure that that no kids throw around into somebody's eyes because it would really burn.

Don't you mean hot sauce?

Here:

J7eXGBsutkueQ.gif

Put it in your backpack. Carry it in and out daily. Don't identify what it is other than 'a metal weight'. If asked, say carrying the weight is part of your fitness routine, and 'a reminder of what it feels like to carry that extra 10 pounds you lost'. It isn't a weapon, it's moonbat plausible, as it's just an inert sheet of metal.

Put it in your backpack. Carry it in and out daily. Don't identify what it is other than 'a metal weight'. If asked, say carrying the weight is part of your fitness routine, and 'a reminder of what it feels like to carry that extra 10 pounds you lost'. It isn't a weapon, it's moonbat plausible, as it's just an inert sheet of metal.

love this idea!

I think in a school shooting, you're just as likely to be shot by cops cause you're wearing body armor as somehow surviving unarmed cause you're wearing body armor. Roll the dice.

Is there any progress on banning gun free zones?

I think this is a great idea as well. I work from home but my office the cubicles have a little closet for coats and umbrellas that have a cheap lock. Larger thicker plates could be brought in after hours and stored in the little closets. If i was still working from the office that is the plan I would have after reading this thread. I do love the clip board idea as well. Now thinking about it I could also just keep body armor in there..if I ever start working from the office again.

So think of creative places to store the obvious items as well. You know, with these gun free zones maybe companies should start providing this stuff to their employees for free. And they should include drill on how to put it on and evacuate the building just as in a fire.

I think in a school shooting, you're just as likely to be shot by cops cause you're wearing body armor as somehow surviving unarmed cause you're wearing body armor. Roll the dice.

Is there any progress on banning gun free zones?

I don't ever see this state lifting the gun free school zone regs in my lifetime. I don't think I would ever wear actual body armor, but my thought was to carry the clipboard and have a run of the mill backpack with a single AR500 plate in it and my trauma first aid kit and hammer in the office.

I took an active shooter class at MFS and the instructor, MAC, made it very clear that anyone who looks "tactical" or has a visible weapon is getting shot as soon as the police enter the scene. So I would definitely like to avoid that outcome, if possible. [rofl]

While you're at it, slap a Gold's Gym sticker on it.

*ding* *ding* *ding*

One good idea multiplied by another good idea equals one OUTSTANDING idea.

I work in a school too. I might or might not have a pair of swords locked away (I teach history, and y'know, Napoleonic warfare...) and a bunch of hammers, baseball bats, box cutters, etc. Got a plug-in hot pot for coffee and, y'know, flinging boiling water at attackers.

Not ideal, but it's all better than cowering in prayer in the corner.

If you're going to stow cavalry sabers in your classroom, DADT.

I don't ever see this state lifting the gun free school zone regs in my lifetime. I don't think I would ever wear actual body armor, but my thought was to carry the clipboard and have a run of the mill backpack with a single AR500 plate in it and my trauma first aid kit and hammer in the office.

I took an active shooter class at MFS and the instructor, MAC, made it very clear that anyone who looks "tactical" or has a visible weapon is getting shot as soon as the police enter the scene. So I would definitely like to avoid that outcome, if possible. [rofl]

If you don't want a vest and are only going to use IIIA I'd go with one of these desk calendars/blotters over a clipboard.

https://www.bulletinterceptor.com/

I got my son one of those hardwire backpack inserts just after SH. It fits in the laptop sleeve of his backpack perfectly and hardly weighs anything at all.

Back
Top Bottom