• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Preparedness eye opener this weekend: traveling

Posting in survival, because I learned some lessons this weekend as to some of the things that are wrong with my wife and my life. Not so much SHTF survival, but general life.

Kind of long story that happened this past week:

My wife and kids flew to FL to visit family. They were gone from Tuesday thru Sunday. I went on a solo bike trip to PA. No set destination, I left Wed and knew I had to be back before Sunday to pick them up from the airport.

I ended up coming down with a severe sickness. High temp, puking, all the fun stuff. With the sickness came confusion and bad decision making. I didnt know where I was, didn't know better to ask for help, or seek medical attn. I was in a dead zone with cell service, paying for cash for everything, like I said, no destination so no set plans.

Communication was intermittent because of cell service. I sent a text Thurs to the wife saying I was under the weather. I sent out an email to my wife on Fri am to let her know I was going to hole up in the hotel until fever broke and that I was an hour south of Scranton,PA.

My wife who is an RN went into full panic mode because of the Flu in her mind, thinking I am dying in a random hotel somewhere. Because I didnt think to call and actually talk to her and just tried to wait it out and sleep it off, this set forth a whole line of shit that I now have to address.

Friday PM, (12 hours of no contact from me)She called friends at home to see if anyone had heard from me or saw any activity on social media from me. All answered no. Which made the panic even more spread because I am known to be on social media a lot. At some point Fri my wifes phone died, losing access to everything.
Sat AM (24 hours of no contact with me) a friend reported me missing to my local PD. 3 different friends entered my home to check for "clues" as to where I was going. They tried getting into my computer, looked for any maps or anything to see what route I was taking. Meanwhile my wife was trying to get a new phone from Verizon, they wouldn't let her because she's not on the account.
At some point midday Sat, the police entered my home just to verify I wasn't there and there wasn't any notes left by me. At this point, posts on social media were starting to spread with a missing poster created of me and my bike being shared 100s of times from friends across MA/PA. At some point Saturday, friends laid out a dead coverage zone of Verizon and started calling every hotel in those areas looking for me. Friends also went to EZ Pass to check our account to see the last time my plate was scanned on toll roads.

Meanwhile from my point of view, I had zero clue any of this was going on. I was still in a very confused state of mind, driving around aimlessly PA knowing I had to get home for my airport pickup on Sunday. At some point Sat evening my local PD pinged my cell in Philly.

I got home around midnight, still pretty confused but alive lol. I had something like 80 texts and 50 social media notifications. That's when I found out how serious things were. Contacted the wife. Got screamed at. Talked to the local PD, canceled their search. Still feeling under the weather, but 95% better.

Things we need to improve on:
Wife knows way too little of my life. Passwords, pins, bank info, credit cards. Not that I hide stuff from my wife, it just has never come up that she needs my credit card password.
Wife not being on cell phone account: Verizon specifically will offer zero info to anyone not assigned access on account. Which is good, but we never thought of it. When we married, I added her line to my account but nothing else.
Cash: cash is nice for things, but offered zero trace as to where I was.
First aid: I travel without meds. I am not sure it would have helped or not, because I didnt have the sense to make the decision to go out and get meds, but it would have been nice to have them close.
Cell phones: we rely on technology waaaaay too much. I have no clue what her # is even if I did want to call her from the room phone. (My cell did turn on, so I had her #, just never thought to call.... I know doghouse)
Travel plans: where are you going to be. This one is tough for me and she knows it. When we travel, we like to never have set plans. That way, you dont rush to get to a destination. And a wrong turn doesn't matter, it's just a new road. The downside is there is zero clue as to where I was.
Cell tracking: we downloaded an app to our phones (life 360) that allows family to track movement. I'm not too keen on the tracking 24/7 which can be toggled on/off but for her piece of mind for trips like this, it's a good thing.
Police: you never know when or why they will be invited into your life. Take that however you want.

We have learned a bunch about our life that we would have never thought of in normal circumstances. This was a hell of a learning experience. It also shows what family and friends will do during times of need and forever grateful for some of the people in my life, even if it was a false alarm.

TLDR: Got sick and lost on a bike trip. Didn't contact family for 41 hours. Wife went into panic mode to find her "dead" husband. Shit storm followed. Learn from mistakes.

T-shirts I am making for friends:
IMG_20190407_164911_402.jpg IMG_20190407_165821_895.jpg

a4f666baeb61f08c05153ce17051f3c7--mommy-humor-mom-quotes.jpg

you have some good friends dude! all my friends would have started divvying up my guns/ammo about 12 hours into the whole ordeal.

seriously though...glad you're ok. don't feel bad about telling your wife personal/confidential information...we let women into our lives to support us...even when we do stupid things. the most important part about the woman i'm marrying is that I trust her. she has all my passwords and information and i'm comfortable that even if anything happened between us, she would never use it against me.

glad you learned something from the whole thing though.

Scratch all that other BS - just note a general direction or leave a map with at least a six-digit grid next time!

Some good stuff to think about, glad it all worked out for you. The reliance on the smartphone and not knowing peoples numbers is huge. I’m lucky, I own a business and if the SHTF I can call the office line and leave a message which my trusted employees will get even after hours. My office manager has the safe combo which has my “if I get hit by a truck” file in it. Not kidding, there’s a sealed folder in the safe with that written on it, has all the important phone numbers, account numbers, passwords, etc. She has access to enough money/my credit cards to get me out of just about any jam, the number to my lawyer, my USCCA account info, my medical info/doctors, etc. She knows my home alarm code, where the hide a key is, what to do w/ my guns.

Then there’s the Will, the Special Needs Trust, healthcare proxy and all those documents if needed.

Communication ...
I sent out an email to my wife on Fri am to let her know I was going to hole up in the hotel until fever broke and that I was an hour south of Scranton,PA.

My wife who is an RN went into full panic mode because of the Flu in her mind, ...

Friday PM, (12 hours of no contact from me)

...I was still in a very confused state of mind, driving around aimlessly PA knowing I had to get home for my airport pickup on Sunday.

I got home around midnight, still pretty confused but alive lol. ....

Things we need to improve on:
Cash: cash is nice for things, but offered zero trace as to where I was.
First aid: ...
Cell phones: we rely on technology waaaaay too much. I have no clue what her # is even if I did want to call her from the room phone.
Travel plans: ...

observations:
She knew you were in PA.
Panic because flu?
You should have called in the evening to avoid all this.
A big part of motorcycles is balance. I never understood how someone could ride drunk, let alone with the flu.
Cash: Zero trace is a feature, not a bug.
First aid: No drug stores in PA?
Cell phones: Write all important numbers down on the back of a business card in your wallet.
Travel plans: She knew you were in PA. A call would have avoided most of this.

I feel for ya. Just wait 'til the kids are driving.

Scratch all that other BS - just note a general direction or leave a map with at least a six-digit grid next time!

6 digit grid?

This is what technology (phones, especially) have done: they’ve produced a mindset that it’s not necessary to plan ahead, think through eventualities, and have alternate plans, then communicate them. That used to be commonplace.

Our brains are good at that kind of thinking. We’re not letting them do that. Quit letting your grey matter slack off. Enough of this “I don’t like to have a set plan” airy bullshit. Get an atlas, learn to do a map recon, plan a route, and then communicate it.

Crazy story dude! Sorry you didn't get to ride when you were here due to the flu. We had an amazing weekend for riding, I logged about 250 miles this weekend. My daughters and I use the apple find friends app. With all the time I am in the woods or off on adventures its good piece of minding knowing someone knows my location.

I had a similar episode but not quite as long. I was in Orlando at a Tech convention. I had a speaking engagement on a Thursday afternoon. Day before on Wednesday I ran into some old colleagues and we drank a bit and had dinner (not too much booze as I was working). Around 7:30Pm Wednesday night I started feeling bad, sweat trickling down forehead type feeling. Went up to the Hotel room and started getting violently ill. Was so sick I could not get out of bed or even move all day Thursday. My cell phone was on the bed next to me, it died and I didn't even know or care. Late Thursday I finally plugged in my phone. Had about 100 missed texts and calls from co workers wondering where the hell I was as I was supposed to be doing a presentation and never showed up for it. I had enough strength to send a text to my coworker and let him know I was half dead from what I thought was food poisoning and I would contact him later.
My wife finally had the hotel staff call my room on Friday, thought I was dead when work was calling her wondering what happened to me and I wasn't answering my phone.
I almost could not fly home Saturday morning but I was just able to.
You never know when something could happen like this. Not sure how to be prepared but give it some thought and you might avoid similar crazy events in your life. For me its just a funny story in retrospect.

Timing is crucial. Walk around hotel lobby in your tighty-whities and keep yelling out "Medic...Stat", "Medic...Stat"
You will get all the attention you need shortly...

We're teasing you Nick, but the best training is real-world. You took a bad situation and you learned from it.
Your future travels and travails will be much different, I'm sure...
~Matt

This is what technology (phones, especially) have done: they’ve produced a mindset that it’s not necessary to plan ahead, think through eventualities, and have alternate plans, then communicate them. That used to be commonplace.

Our brains are good at that kind of thinking. We’re not letting them do that. Quit letting your grey matter slack off. Enough of this “I don’t like to have a set plan” airy bullshit. Get an atlas, learn to do a map recon, plan a route, and then communicate it.

I agree but this sounds more like a communication failure more than anything else, and a breakdown in contingency planning with that.

Also another thing this makes me think of- these stupid devices (and rapid access to comms) make everyone totally lose their shit when they can't
get in touch with someone.

If this happened 20 years ago he would have just gone home and his wife would have been pissed about him not making it to the airport on time and that would have been the end of it. [rofl]

-Mike

Yeah, a lot of my thoughts now are laughing of all the things that went wrong and how they all reacted. My wife and I pretty much agreed that if I went the 4 days without texting once, nothing would have made her get worried. It was only three fact that I mentioned I was sick that started this while fiasco.
I hate being attached to technology, but whatever keeps her calm when I'm gone, I'll help with.

The other end of the spectrum.

My wife took our (then) minor son to a convention in Baltimore. They flew into BWI and took the light rail to the Inner Harbor. That's when my wife realized she had forgotten her credit cards and was seriously low on cash.

She called and I started looking into Western Union, of overnighting her a card. A half hour later she called back and said she's all set.

There's a Bank of America there. She walked in, showed her license, recited her SSN, and withdrew a few hundred dollars.

I HATE BOA for everything they do EXCEPT being where my wife needed them.

Yep, the wife and I use Life360 becasue of my motorcycle habits. She asks me where I am going, and my response is "for a ride", "Where to?", "Dunno, I'll know when I get there, probably west". If she gets nervous and sees the icon moving on the map she knows I'm okay and not to call since I won;t answer. If it is not moving for awhile she can check if I stopped to eat or something and give me a call. If it's at a hospital or not moving in the middle of nowhere then she knows somethings up.

Put a family tracker on your phone. The feds are tracking you, so you may as well give the wife the courtesy. Lol. If you're out of service it will show last position.

On traveling whether solo or not leave a map with route or grid location with someone not on the trip. Preferably the person you would want to have first access to your house. Give that person a must return by time and a key to your house.

As a backpacker/camper this practice is a must. Even as a biker you can easily end up in a ditch somewhere with a broken leg.

Damn, that's quite a story. As someone who's done some solo motorcycle trips, I can't fathom riding while not in my right mind. As I'm sure you realize now...that was super risky and unnecessary. Wait out the fever, have the family take a cab home, miss another few days of work...no big deal...get home in one piece !!!

When texting, DM'ing, Facebook posting, and all other modern communications fail...a good old phone call would have improved your situation by 1000%. No cell service, use the phone in the hotel. In the modern day of hyper-connectivity and updates it doesn't take long before the ones who care about us start to feel uncomfortable. Riding a bike involves risk, riding alone...more risk, destination/route unknown to others...more risk...etc...etc.

If you are going to be relying on GPS, assume it will fail. Offline maps are good, paper maps as a backup are best.

I started wearing "dog tags" on my solo trips...emergency contact info, medications, etc.

Glad this story had a happy ending and that you are examining it to see what lessons there are to be learned.

Keep The Shiny Side Up.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom