For Citizens who carry daily - Carry Extra Mags or a Rifle/ammo in your vehicle?

Do you carry extra mags or keep a rifle/shotgun/ammo in your vehicle?

• I ONLY carry a sidearm with one mag

Votes: 100 47.8%
  • I carry a sidearm with multiple mags (Or two sidearms)

Votes: 92 44.0%
  • I keep a Rifle / Shotgun / Ammo in my vehicle

Votes: 4 1.9%
  • I both keep a Rifle/Shotgun in my vehicle AND carry extra mags

Votes: 13 6.2%

• Total voters
I don't think we shouldn't offer good advice, I just take exception to the statement that his choice of Condition 1 or 3 impacts those around him, in a "you're putting me and my family at risk!" sort of way.

Ahh I didn't see that. I just got back to my desk and commented on your post. [wink]

As the rest have said, it's time for a new holster. Tons of threads with great suggestions for the too.
I carry 10+1 with my M&P 9c and I do carry a spare mag on my weak side in a Gerber multiple-tool pouch so I don't worry about concealing it. It took me a couple of weeks of carry with an empty chamber to feel comfortable enough to start loading it but a good holster will make you comfortable quickly.

IMO, it's not so much the Con3 that is the problem...even WE Fairbairn (or was it Rex Applegate?) recommended carrying the 1911 in Con3 and racking the slide as part of the draw stroke instead of cocked-n-locked. It's the fact that the OP isn't carrying his firearm that way because of some well-thought-out, if not misguided, 'tactical' advice, but instead because of unfamiliarity with the platform and carriage of a firearm in general, and/or a shoddy holster.
Yeah, that's the issue.

While I don't like condition 3, I can respect those who have considered the pros and cons, and who train diligently in drawing, charging the chamber, and firing, both two-handed and one-handed. I still think it takes less time to learn to safely handle condition 1, but their approach is defensible.

However, when folks think "I'll have time to charge the chamber" that's where they step off the reservation. No, you may not have time to charge the chamber, particularly if you haven't trained that way extensively. You may well learn that you've been selected when the guy who asks you for a cigarette punches you in the mouth.

If you haven't trained extensively in drawing and charging the chamber, it is quite likely that you'll grab your gun, draw, pull the trigger and hear a click when you expected a bang. At that point, an "exciting" day might get far more "exciting."

Think through the issue, choose a condition, train that way, and fight that way. And for goodness sakes, get a real holster.

Last edited:
To the OP, would you feel just as uncomfortable carrying a loaded revolver?

If the trigger is getting pulled, I'd say keeping an empty chamber is pretty smart. Like we've all said, spending some dollars on a real holster is the answer and will probably fix the problem. Then the Op can work on building confidence.

So, one comment to the OP that I haven't seen here:

What happens if your off hand or arm are unusable as the result of a surprise attack or you are pinned behind a door with only the one arm free.

This may seem like an unlikely scenario but is something you need to consider. How are you going to rack the slide one handed.

Let's look at it the other way... what if your strong side arm or hand is the one unusable... now you need to not only shoot off-hand but try to rack it as well.

Since most violent confrontations are over in seconds you will likely find yourself overcome or severly injured (expired) by the time you are ready to shoot.

My .02

-R

Rack one handed. Was definitely interesting to learn and practice...and humbling at the same time.

Funny, I was specifically thinking of you and watching your prowess in the one hand arena when I wrote that.

I'm not sure how I feel about that comment.

Just out of curiosity, can you, the OP, say exactly what holster you are using so that nobody on here ever buys one similar to it?

I'm curious too. Perhaps it is
holster.jpg

I hope the 45% who said they only carry the magazine that's in the pistol never have a double feed or a mag with sprung feed lips.

I hope the 45% who said they only carry the magazine that's in the pistol never have a double feed or a mag with sprung feed lips.
Yup. Magazines sometimes go bad, and the way you first learn about it is often when the gun stops working.

I am not one of the 45% (didn't vote), but I am guilty of the practice of carrying w/o a spare. I have not yet come up with a good solution to a spare PM9 mag to complement my Crossbreed, though I had already recognized that this is not ideal and am working to address it.

No +1 due to the lack of a reliable safety on the g21. I'm very athletic and do a lot outdoors activities / rock climbing, ice climbing etc.. I've had more than a few occasions where the firearm gets banged up and the trigger is pulled back when I get home despite the trigger safety.

Perhaps I just need a better Holster.

Ummm.....go watch this (yes, on the first drag it comes out of battery, on drag two it's still in battery and trigger still forward again) and then tell us what on earth you are doing that is subjecting the gun to even more abuse than that and causing your trigger to be pulled. And then PLEASE tell us what kind of horrid holster is actually allowing that to happen. If such a dangerous piece of equipment is really out there, then we'd all appreciate knowing what it is so that we and all our friends/students/range buddies can avoid it like the plague.

I am not one of the 45% (didn't vote), but I am guilty of the practice of carrying w/o a spare. I have not yet come up with a good solution to a spare PM9 mag to complement my Crossbreed, though I had already recognized that this is not ideal and am working to address it.
I wear dorky EOTAC pants with phone/magazine pockets. I put my PM9 in my right front pocket, phone in the right phone/magazine pocket, and spare mag in the left phone/magazine pocket. That keeps the mag separate from my money clip and change, and keeps it oriented properly.

I carry two, and I can understand your rationale. However, you can play the "what if" game all day.

Everyone finds a level of risk they find acceptable and stops there. For some, it's an unchambered firearm. For others, it's one mag. For some, it's two mags. For still more, it's two handguns. Some want a rifle. Some are happy with 8 rounds per. Others need 10.

It all depends on where you're comfortable with the safety of yourself and your family.

How f-ing hard is it to clip a mag holder to your belt?

How come I, not a big guy, can easily conceal a G17 AND a G17 mag even in summer but some of you guys struggle with a PM9 and a skinny 6 round mag?

I don't understand that at all.

Are you guys so terrified of being made? Trust me, nobody's watching.

I carry 9+1 with a spare 10-rounder (Ruger SR9c, safety engaged). I found the 1911-style safety allowed me to feel comfortable with the chambered round much quicker, especially given what I feel is a pretty light trigger for a striker-fired pistol.

Are you guys so terrified of being made? Trust me, nobody's watching.

Because in Massachusetts being made can (and has) result in you losing your permit. Which means no more carry and no more handguns period. You lose your right to self-defense, your hobby, your property, family heirlooms...because one person made you.

Because in Massachusetts being made can (and has) result in you losing your permit. Which means no more carry and no more handguns period. You lose your right to self-defense, your hobby, your property, family heirlooms...because one person made you.

BS. Someone seeing a non-descript squarish bulge under your shirt is not the same as the wind blowing open a cover garment and some sheeple seeing a holstered pistol.

Trust me, nobody's watching.

This was another concept that took me awhile to get comfortable with. They're called sheep for a reason. If someone is standing right in the middle of the aisle at the grocery talking on their phone, blocking the whole aisle, and they don't notice you trying to get by them, they damn sure won't notice a slight bulge at your waist. People really aren't that in tune with their surroundings.

Permit loss via getting made is a lot rarer than it's made out to be, but I wouldn't risk it if you wanted to continue living in this state with a functioning LTC. You wouldn't lose much if you were willing to dump MA residency. Remember, revocation via "unsuitable person" is an administrative process more than anything else.

You won't get made in MA anyways unless you blow concealment completely. As in like, there is none. The sheep in MA are pretty oblivious.

-Mike

BS. Someone seeing a non-descript squarish bulge under your shirt is not the same as the wind blowing open a cover garment and some sheeple seeing a holstered pistol.

You're right. It's not the same. But it can end just as poorly in this state. And not everyone watching is a sheeple(sheepson?sheepon?). It wasn't a sheep that saw the concealment failure, it was a cop. People have posted here about having cops point out that they are printing and need to conceal better and one of the guys at GOAL has been bump frisked by a LEO. It happens and the stakes for those of us in MA are particularly high.

Permit loss via getting made is a lot rarer than it's made out to be, but I wouldn't risk it if you wanted to continue living in this state with a functioning LTC. You wouldn't lose much if you were willing to dump MA residency. Remember, revocation via "unsuitable person" is an administrative process more than anything else.

You won't get made in MA anyways unless you blow concealment completely. As in like, there is none. The sheep in MA are pretty oblivious.

-Mike

It is rare, but it does happen. Carrying in MA is very precarious for many of us. And those who think they are safe are one CLEO retirement away from losing their rights too.

You are right that the suitability question won't follow you across state lines, but that's not an option, or at least a quickly executed option, for many of us.

Back
Top Bottom