For Citizens who carry daily - Carry Extra Mags or a Rifle/ammo in your vehicle?

Do you carry extra mags or keep a rifle/shotgun/ammo in your vehicle?

• I ONLY carry a sidearm with one mag

Votes: 100 47.8%
  • I carry a sidearm with multiple mags (Or two sidearms)

Votes: 92 44.0%
  • I keep a Rifle / Shotgun / Ammo in my vehicle

Votes: 4 1.9%
  • I both keep a Rifle/Shotgun in my vehicle AND carry extra mags

Votes: 13 6.2%

• Total voters
I don't think you are fully aware of how submissive and anally retentive the sheeple of MA really are when it comes to evil guns. When they finally "allowed" (only after an armed robbery at my place of work) our security to carry sidearms there was all kinds of gnashing of teeth and ripping of garments by the very people that had to look down the barrel of 12 ga shotguns while being threatened and robbed blind. This is a BLUE state. The place is a cesspool of mental disease.
+1 to that

So I just have no clue why someone would carry a double-action revolver with the hammer on an empty chamber. I could understand why someone would carry a Colt Single Action Army with the hammer down on an empty chamber, if I could understand why someone would want to carry one of those in the first place

a lot of people do that. it gives them "peace of mind" i guess. I know 1 person that carries like that, and another that keeps one under the bed like that.

I was thinking about if the person were criple, and had one arm real short, like a T-Rex arm.. that would be good to carry your mag on the same side as the holster..

you can have a shotgun built to be use as a prosthetic arm, and if you have a coat, people wouldnt see it.

I saw one on the discovery channel, but the retards put a fist on the end of the shotgun with a long metal rod that went into the barrel, so the recoil was so bad that the guy didnt want to use it. It would have messed up his shoulder.

1. Common Sense
2. Reasonably solid threat assessment skills.
3. Testicular Fortitude
4. Comprehension of Cover V. Concealment
5. Sweet, Sweet loving from your Baby....

[grin]

None of which help you get a gun running again when it is either empty or subject to a magazine malfunction.

I've been trying, and failing, to come up with a valid reason to carry your spare mag next to your holster, and NOT on your weak side.

Care to explain?

Weapon retention. When fighting radios, handcuffs, flashlights and anything else not surgically attached will go flying or get ripped off of the cop by the criminal, who will then beat them with their own equipment. I know a guy who has a scar on his cheek from the tiny psycho female who ripped his badge off his shirt and pounded it into his face, another who had his favorite pair of cuffs stolen from the open topped pouch on his belt when fighting 4-5 people by himself in a tiny hallway. With traditional duty rigs spares are snapped in place, but there are few if any quality mag pouches with a retention feature designed for use with a standard belt.

Positioning of equipment. Some places are specific about where to carry the gear on the belt. If you have a 68 inch waistline there aren't many problems finding room, if you're a smaller person you'll have to come up with interesting ways to stack your gunbelt.

Check your PM's for other reasons.

Like what?

See the above.

I was thinking about if the person were cripple, and had one arm real short, like a T-Rex arm.. that would be good to carry your mag on the same side as the holster.. [wink]

Dude! [lmao]

I'm confused. How would it be different from a weapons retention standpoint to have your spare magazine on your strong side rather than your weak side?

I've a little confused on this point, too. Do you mean retention of extra magazines? Do 'perps' try to steal ammo off Officers' belts?

I mean, I can reload from my strong-side if I have to, either by switching gun-hand or reaching around the front or the back. I could see it also being useful for a strong-hand-only reload. But.... not sure why that's a big consideration.

Last edited:
I've never seen a uniformed cop with his reloads on the same side of the belt as his sidearm.

For some reason as yet unknown to me, that is the exact method which is taught at the U.S. Border Patrol Academy, with the mag carrier on the right side of the belt buckle and opening facing to the left. I've heard that agents are permitted to reconfigure their duty belt setup as they see fit once they get off FTO, but they are required to adhere to that method at least while they are at FLETC. If you type "Border Patrol" into a Google Images search you'll get many images confirming this setup.

I've never seen a uniformed cop with his reloads on the same side of the belt as his sidearm.

Unfortunately I have seen a bunch of uniformed LEO's put their magazine pouch on the same side as the firearm, with the mag opening facing twords the belt buckle, so they do this "cross draw" crap to reload. Whenever I am at a training class, or in-service with guys from all over the area, it is sad to see how many LEO's "rock the mags on the same side as the firearm."

Usually, when I try to explain to them what I was taught as the "best" setup for a duty belt, or close to it, their only arguement regarding why they insist on keeping the mags on the same side as the firearm is that it either; (1.) "looks cool" (2.) "is cooler to reload that way" or (3.) is "faster" than having the magazines on the opposite side as the firearm. All I can think is; "Wow, what a fail, but to each his own. " [rolleyes]

For some reason as yet unknown to me, that is the exact method which is taught at the U.S. Border Patrol Academy, with the mag carrier on the right side of the belt buckle and opening facing to the left. I've heard that agents are permitted to reconfigure their duty belt setup as they see fit once they get off FTO, but they are required to adhere to that method at least while they are at FLETC. If you type "Border Patrol" into a Google Images search you'll get many images confirming this setup.
You mean like this? http://www.7dvt.com/2007/edge

With that orientation, he can still get access the mags with his weak arm. But that's different from the a vertical mag pouch directly in front of the holster, which is far harder to reach with the weak hand.

You mean like this? http://www.7dvt.com/2007/edge

With that orientation, he can still get access the mags with his weak arm. But that's different from the a vertical mag pouch directly in front of the holster, which is far harder to reach with the weak hand.

Exactly like that. I know it's different from the vertical configuration, but it's still on the same side of the belt as the pistol. I was just responding to Jose's comment in that regard.

If the mags are carried horizontally, then having the just past the centerline on the strong side, with the opening up to centerline can be a quick way to load. Vertically on the strong side is not a good method. The problem is few practice the reload, it is especially difficult if your can't see the mags

If the mags are carried horizontally, then having the just past the centerline on the strong side, with the opening up to centerline can be a quick way to load.

I agree.

The whole point is to make the spare magazine easily reachable by the support hand.

For RH shooters, horizontal mag pouches make sense only if the opening faces towards the weak side.

Agreed. Horizontal pouches on the strong side facing towards the weak side are not a big deal. Vertical pouches on the strong side right in front of the holster are a different matter entirely. Take your vertical pouches, put them on the strong side, and try it out for yourself.

Back
Top Bottom