For Citizens who carry daily - Carry Extra Mags or a Rifle/ammo in your vehicle?

Do you carry extra mags or keep a rifle/shotgun/ammo in your vehicle?

• I ONLY carry a sidearm with one mag

Votes: 100 47.8%
  • I carry a sidearm with multiple mags (Or two sidearms)

Votes: 92 44.0%
  • I keep a Rifle / Shotgun / Ammo in my vehicle

Votes: 4 1.9%
  • I both keep a Rifle/Shotgun in my vehicle AND carry extra mags

Votes: 13 6.2%

• Total voters
This inexpensive holster carries a magazine attached to it. Can be worn inside or outside of pants. Leave the magazine in the holster and it takes no additional effort to bring it along.

ambidextrous_holsters.jpg

Link

Jose is right about this one. This is not a good holster.
You can use ones that are better suited all around than that one. Using one that is specifically shaped for a gun is ideal. They will be thinner, lighter, tighter fit and easier to conceal.

Not only am I shocked by the number of people who do not carry a vital spare part for their pistol (a magazine), I am shocked at the number of people who haphazardly stick a mag in a pocket and don't think through the issues involved with that.

I want to challenge everyone who carries a magazine in anything but an OWB mag holder to go to an IDPA match and try reloading on the clock.

Let me know how it works out.

You're my hero. I want to be just like you when I grow up.

I rarely carry the 26 anymore... I now carry a 19 with a spare 15rnd mag. I suppose I could carry a spare 15rounder if I'm carrying the 26... but like my brother said... carrying a spare mag, for me, is more about being prepared for a malfunction than it is about carrying the max amount of ammo on my body.

Is it thick?... I guess [smile] It's thicker than a casual belt... but no thicker than a leather gun belt. It's only doubled on itself in front from the buckle to the beginning of the holster. It's not abnormally thick by any means. It's definitely no thicker than any of the other gun belts out there.

I don't have pics of the pistol side while worn... but I have other photos of the gun/holster combo if that's what you're looking for?

Do they make a spare mag holster for the 33 round glock mags? That would be perfect to carry as a backup for your g26.

Not only am I shocked by the number of people who do not carry a vital spare part for their pistol (a magazine), I am shocked at the number of people who haphazardly stick a mag in a pocket and don't think through the issues involved with that.

I want to challenge everyone who carries a magazine in anything but an OWB mag holder to go to an IDPA match and try reloading on the clock.

Jose, while I agree with you 100%, I really have to wonder why people worry so much about how other people carry.

TO answer the question from the OP, I carry strong side IWB, with two spare 15 round mags. Thats 45 rounds of 10mm, but it is more so about the ability to clear a jam than it is to need all of those rounds to stop something.

Jose, while I agree with you 100%, I really have to wonder why people worry so much about how other people carry.

TO answer the question from the OP, I carry strong side IWB, with two spare 15 round mags. Thats 45 rounds of 10mm, but it is more so about the ability to clear a jam than it is to need all of those rounds to stop something.

45 rounds of 10mm, ouch!

I carry a Sig 226 or 229 with at least one extra mag, usually two. Always condition 1, with a round in the chamber. If you need it, seconds really will matter and may be all you have. Sometimes just the time to draw is not enough

Rep points to the OP for taking a good old fashioned Jose beat down like a man. A lot of folks new to CC have a hard time getting used to the ideal of carrying with a round in the chamber. Get a decent holster and carry empty around the house. After a while you will get more comfortable and confident in yourself and your equipment.

A little training goes a long way. Shooting paper is one thing but when the target moves it changes everything. Spend some time practicing and soon it will be second nature. Then all you will have to worry about is if the POS plastic gun explodes when you try to shoot it.[smile]

Do they make a spare mag holster for the 33 round glock mags? That would be perfect to carry as a backup for your g26.

The mag carrier can hold any 9mm/40/357sig double stack Glock magazine. So... yes, it can hold the 33rnder. But I'd need to put on my CCW sash and badge first though. And move the G19 into the drop leg holster.

[smile]

The mag carrier can hold any 9mm/40/357sig double stack Glock magazine. So... yes, it can hold the 33rnder. But I'd need to put on my CCW sash and badge first though. And move the G19 into the drop leg holster.

[smile]

Understood. You should see the ninja outfit I have for when I get my Noveske SBR CCW backpack.

This inexpensive holster carries a magazine attached to it. Can be worn inside or outside of pants. Leave the magazine in the holster and it takes no additional effort to bring it along.

ambidextrous_holsters.jpg

Link

Jose is right about this one. This is not a good holster.
You can use ones that are better suited all around than that one. Using one that is specifically shaped for a gun is ideal. They will be thinner, lighter, tighter fit and easier to conceal.

Although THAT holster IS a huge POS, I Bet ya 20 bucks, it is 10 times better than what the OP is using that allows his Glock 21 trigger to be pulled while doing his daily activities...

Where did the OP go... and what holster is he currently using! Inquiring minds would like to know [smile]

Where did the OP go... and what holster is he currently using! Inquiring minds would like to know [smile]

He ain't tellin'. He's smart enough to know when to shut up.

BTW, what is that mag holder you have in the pic? I like it. Do they make one to fit a Sig .40/357, 10 round mag?

Is it thick?... I guess [smile] It's thicker than a casual belt... but no thicker than a leather gun belt. It's only doubled on itself in front from the buckle to the beginning of the holster. It's not abnormally thick by any means. It's definitely no thicker than any of the other gun belts out there.

I don't have pics of the pistol side while worn... but I have other photos of the gun/holster combo if that's what you're looking for?

Thanks. I was trying to see how far down off the beltline the raven went. I just ordered one off of reviews and youtube vids that showed it's silhouette while worn. I didnt order any of the modular pieces for IWB so compiling mental data on how it carries on the belt to see if I really need to go IWB.

woah woah woah woah! Hanwei, people aren't suppose to know thats how we asians roll!

No No... it's fine... if that's all they know about us... we're still men of mystery. We're still good... don't worry.

At least he didn't tell them about the micro rice patty hats we have access to.

Okay... a little less mysterious now... but still okay... it's not like we said anything about the rice paper explosives.

Thanks. I was trying to see how far down off the beltline the raven went. I just ordered one off of reviews and youtube vids that showed it's silhouette while worn. I didnt order any of the modular pieces for IWB so compiling mental data on how it carries on the belt to see if I really need to go IWB.

Well... ask and ye shall receive. The photo shows the G19... I don't know what gun you're carrying... but obviously a gun with a longer barrel will be lower off the beltline... and likewise my G26 is higher. And for reference I'm 5'10" and ~215lbs (of muscle...... in case the ladies are reading).

IMG_0298.jpg

Not that I know of, I was referring to Georgia. Didn't know they dumped that, thanks!

No problem, when SB308 passed it did away with that.

Ohio requires a holster to carry the pistol on your person.

Thanks for the info, didn't know that. I know in FL you have the option of a holstered gun off body for unlicensed car carry, but it's just one of the many examples provided to comply with the "securely encased" requirement. With a permit you can carry any way you want, although there's some legal debate as to whether it must be concealed when carried in the vehicle.

Sort-of on topic: does anyone else use an IWB-style magazine pouch?

I have one from Lobo Gunleather (Jose's recommendation) that I use sometimes. You may also want to check out this option, made by a member of this forum:

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/threads/32453-Pocket-Mag-Pouches

It's a pocket mag pouch.

The G26 uses 10 rounds mags.

The +2 extension is the same size as the +0 (at the front anyway) and leaves you with more available rounds. Don't need to swap springs either on that size Glock mag when adding the extension.

everyone has told me that their SOP required condition 3 carry.

I know a few people in the groups you mentioned. I never thought to ask, I just assumed, we have talked about their duty ammo though. I'll ask around and get back to you.

Sooooooo, have you ever tried to reload a semi auto when the magazine is carried on the same side as the gun?

I know a potbellied cop who does it just fine with one of these:

LP267_330_1.jpg

It's either that or no extra ammo for him when in plainclothes, which is often. There are also police agencies that have specific gear organization regs that require (overtly or by default) strong side carry of spare mags. I haven't heard of an issue with it. I know some guys who prefer it, especially the ones who do a lot of hands on.

I am shocked at the number of people who haphazardly stick a mag in a pocket and don't think through the issues involved with that.

When it's warm enough to I wear cargo shorts with a 2nd spare mag in the cargo pocket.

Do they make a spare mag holster for the 33 round glock mags?

They fit just fine in a normal belt pouch, as do the new superhighcap .40/.357 Glock mags. That is almost always how I carry.

Oh... well I'm Asian so I'm required to wear the ninja outfit 24/7 under my normal clothes.

Ummm...Ninjas are Japanese. Let's not contribute to the Asian stereotype please. [smile][wink]

Unless You're Japanese of course. [grin]

Jose, I Hope You will let Us all know when You come here.

You are planning on making a trip here correct? I know that a lot of people here would like to meet You.

I thought you were done with IDPA. Annoying rules and all.

I know a potbellied cop who does it just fine with one of these:

LP267_330_1.jpg

It's either that or no extra ammo for him when in plainclothes, which is often. There are also police agencies that have specific gear organization regs that require (overtly or by default) strong side carry of spare mags. I haven't heard of an issue with it. I know some guys who prefer it, especially the ones who do a lot of hands on.
Whatever the reason some cops prefer that location for spare ammo or the reason some PD mandates it does not erase the fact that you either have to switch the pistol to your left hand to grab the magazine OR you have to reach all the way over with your left hand to get it.

A revolver can be easily reloaded with ammo carried on the strong side. A magazine fed pistol, not so much.

Back
Top Bottom