For Citizens who carry daily - Carry Extra Mags or a Rifle/ammo in your vehicle?

Do you carry extra mags or keep a rifle/shotgun/ammo in your vehicle?

• I ONLY carry a sidearm with one mag

Votes: 100 47.8%
  • I carry a sidearm with multiple mags (Or two sidearms)

Votes: 92 44.0%
  • I keep a Rifle / Shotgun / Ammo in my vehicle

Votes: 4 1.9%
  • I both keep a Rifle/Shotgun in my vehicle AND carry extra mags

Votes: 13 6.2%

• Total voters
While I agree people should generally carry chambered, this crazy "private choice is really a social choice that is everyone's business" is creepy as hell. It's the manner of thinking that generates the justification for all sorts of legislation and regulation most people on this site claim to abhor.

I don't think anyone here said they supported legislation to ban something.

For example, I'm sure everyone has seen some dumb parents that let their 12 year old daughter dress like a tramp. Saying "I think that's stupid" or even "I think that's stupid and bad for the child" does not necessarily bridge the gap to the authoritarian douchebag response of "I think thats stupid and there AUGHTA BEE A LAAAAAW AGAINST IT!!! BWEAH!" There's a big difference between disagreeing with something and advocating the use of government force to "correct" whatever behavior it is you don't like.

The condition of someone's holstered, concealed gun is a public concern insofar as it's not discharging. Some states do mandate "get a holster" for this reason.
Beyond that is the very definition of none of your damn business.

He made it everyone else's business in a way by posting it here. [laugh]

Guy: I broke my brother's nose because he ate all my cheetohs!!!
Me: Well, that's kinda stupid, don't you think?
Guy: ITS NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS!!!!!!

Does not work/compute. [laugh]

For example if I posted a fun story here about how I had an ND and launched a bullet through the side of my house, or something like that I would expect to get flamed for it, and telling someone that it was "none of their business" after that point is sort of futile, especially when you're the person that introduced the thing you don't want to talk about. [laugh]

-Mike

Last edited:
I'm still waiting to hear what kind of holster triggers the OP's sidearm! I've seen some pretty shitty holsters, but nothing that would actually trigger the gun if you know WTF you're doing. It's called PAY ATTENTION!

I keep trying to imagine this Rube Goldberg like holster as well.

I carry a spare magazine, I carry my firearm loaded.

I love NES , for these threads. I would say you could fix the problem with one of 2 things
1. Get a new holster
2. Get a new gun with a external safety , that you can have on when holstered. ( dont get a revolver , it would be tough to conceal with the cylinder open) :)
The fewer things you have to think about in a "situation" the better off you will be on your end . I personally dont want to have to rack a slide or disengage a safety , I carry a glock with one in the hole , all I need to think about is if the situation is enough of a threat to pull the trigger.
Your not using one of those belt clips you mount to the gun by any chance ?

I have my 357 wheelie and it sits with an empty pipe, which for a wheel does not matter except I like the safe feature of an empty pipe. I carry a spare 6 pack and my AR in my truck. As with all of us ( I hope ), I carry with the intent of using and praying I never have to. If it needs to come out of the holster, someone is dead.

OMG!! Why worry about how someone else carries their gun?

i'm fast enough to stop, drop and roll. YOU? go back and read what i wrote butt boy. he's carrying in an "unsafe" to be "safe" while carrying, which could get him or lay person's killed.

go big or stay home... [laugh]

BS. Someone seeing a non-descript squarish bulge under your shirt is not the same as the wind blowing open a cover garment and some sheeple seeing a holstered pistol.

I don't think you are fully aware of how submissive and anally retentive the sheeple of MA really are when it comes to evil guns. When they finally "allowed" (only after an armed robbery at my place of work) our security to carry sidearms there was all kinds of gnashing of teeth and ripping of garments by the very people that had to look down the barrel of 12 ga shotguns while being threatened and robbed blind. This is a BLUE state. The place is a cesspool of mental disease.

I have my 357 wheelie and it sits with an empty pipe, which for a wheel does not matter except I like the safe feature of an empty pipe.
Why?

What extra safety does that give you? If you are carrying a modern double-action revolver from S&W or Ruger, it is drop safe. The primary safety which makes a S&W revolver drop-safe is the way the hammer nose meets the rebound slide -- it can only go off if you pull the trigger all the way to the rear. In the unlikely even that that somehow fails, the hammer block safety is a second line of defense.

So I just have no clue why someone would carry a double-action revolver with the hammer on an empty chamber. I could understand why someone would carry a Colt Single Action Army with the hammer down on an empty chamber, if I could understand why someone would want to carry one of those in the first place [laugh]

I have a magazine in the gun and a spare with me. As I explained to someone recently, "yes 35 rds is a lot, but I have the magazine in the gun +1 and a spare in case of a malfunction."

I would like to know about the holster (or lack there of).

To the OP. I understand not being able to train due to finances(only acceptable reason imo). However go try out your carry rig at an IDPA competition. (flame away ipsc boys!) You will see that when 1 second counts you will take 4 or more. It could also get you comfortable with the idea of carrying a handgun in the manner it is made for.

I hope the 45% who said they only carry the magazine that's in the pistol never have a double feed or a mag with sprung feed lips.

There wasn't an option for "Carry into civilization with multiple mags".

I live in Maine, while there is crime here it's NOTHING like what I dealt with living in Phoenix. I literally had 5 weapons loaded in my house between my front door and my bedroom (the price I paid for what I do). When I go further down river than the nearest Wallyworld, I'm carrying multiple mags. But generally, I take care of my equipment, fire through all my mags at least quarterly, note any 'issues' (my mags are numbered to track problems) and get replacements if it happens more than once.

~ GO BIG OR GO HOME! . . .

25AUTOYATRIGHT-111.jpg

I carry my 25 AUTO in a zip-lock bag in my right front pocket and a *fully loaded* magazine in a zip-lock bag in my left front pocket (don’t want them to get dirty now). If the unimaginable happens all I have to do is whip out that 25 AUTO and the culprit threatening me will scurry away in stark terror! As for carrying extra ammo, I usually keep an extra round in my watch pocket (shrink-wrapped of course).

(Lord forgive me, it‘s all in jest!)
[shocked]

Do you carry extra mags on you? Keep a rifle/shotgun locked in your trunk or anything?

I personally just carry my sidearm with no extra mags. I don't ever hope to have to use my carry, but I'm curious as to the results of the poll.

9mm with 15+1 plus 2 10 rd mags. Strong side IWB. If you carry why not carry with extra mags? Is it too much of a hassle for you to carry the extra mags or are you carrying for the cool factor?

I highly doubt a time will arise where I'll not have time to chamber a round real fast given my experience vs. the average idiot out there.
[laugh]

Your problem is that you assume your government assigned perp(s) will be "the average idiot out there."

You might get lucky and get a newbie, but given that you've already gotten rather unlucky to be one of the 2-8 people per 100,000 to get attacked or home invaded in the first place, relying on luck seems like a bad idea...

In this circumstance, you are likely to face more than one attacker and it will likely be a surprise. Given the state of the laws out there, you won't be able to have your gun out and prepared just in case, but rather will be fumbling with your concealment.

In short, you are in for a very ugly surprise with your thinking. Thankfully, the odds are against your being a victim and I hope they stay that way, but I'm with those who say if you don't have one in the chamber you are doing it wrong...

There's no reason NOT to have one in the chamber with a decent gun. No reason to handicap yourself when you will be coming from behind already for so many reasons.

i'm fast enough to stop, drop and roll. YOU? go back and read what i wrote butt boy. he's carrying in an "unsafe" to be "safe" while carrying, which could get him or lay person's killed.

go big or stay home... [laugh]

another fantastic response by you where jabs at people makes up the majority of the post. You truly must be a winner in real life[rolleyes]

How f-ing hard is it to clip a mag holder to your belt?

How come I, not a big guy, can easily conceal a G17 AND a G17 mag even in summer but some of you guys struggle with a PM9 and a skinny 6 round mag?

I don't understand that at all.

Are you guys so terrified of being made? Trust me, nobody's watching.

I was at first, but you are exactly right, the sheeple really don't notice.

My issues lie a lot with how tall I am and my difficulty with finding sufficiently long shirts to cover my waist. I am 6'5" and often "Tall" sized shirts do not cut it. As well, as to using my pockets... I am limited to my right pockets where I put everything; I have a prosthetic leg that makes loud banging noises when I put stuff in my left pockets and walk.

Just because YOU have a solution that works, doesn't mean it is applicable to everyone.

I carry my G19 these days w/spare mag on the belt in a horizontal mag holder. This keeps the spare mag from jabbing me in the side, etc. The horizontal positioning also allows it to disappear. Here's the link to the mag holder... http://www.onesourcetactical.com/joabhorizontalmagazinepouch.aspx

And some photos of my G26 setup... same as my G19 setup.

What I see when I look down at my belt...
IMG_0043.jpg

Some close ups...
IMG_0048.jpg

IMG_0049.jpg

IMG_0054.jpg

And a frontal mirror image shot...
IMG_4654.jpg

Everyone who doesn't carry a spare mag for your self-defense pistol... please do... I shoot IDPA and have put around 10,000+ rounds through my Glock 34 over the past couple of years... and I've personally seen and experienced enough equipment and "environmental" malfunctions during competition under pressure (double feeds, failure to feeds, unseated mags, mags coming unseated during course of fire, etc due to environmental factors like bumping your gun against doors/barriers while using them for cover etc) that there's no way I'd feel comfortable only carrying the one magazine in my gun for self defense. The odds that you will have a malfunction is just too high, no matter what brand/model pistol you're shooting.

Example: It's SHTF for whatever reason... you draw your carry gun and start to side step to give the bad guy a moving target that is harder to hit. You have the bad guy in your sights and you squeeze off your first shot... still side-stepping you go to squeeze off your second shot... pull the trigger... and... "click". What happened? As you're still side-stepping... you look down at your gun and the slide is closed (maybe chambered? Maybe not)... still side-stepping you tap and rack... Oh shit... there's no mag in the gun. And now you've also just confirmed that there's no round in the chamber either. You're still side-stepping... you look down at the ground and you see your magazine lying on the street 6 feet away to your left and getting further away. You don't have a spare mag. And now you're dead.

Either your magazine was never fully seated and dropped after your first shot (I've seen this happen in competition too many times) or something depressed the mag release earlier in the day/week/month and you never noticed...

Now... regardless of how diligently you check and recheck your carry gun... something unforeseen and out of your control could very well cause a malfunction when you need your gun to go bang. Murphy's Law.

So carry a damn spare mag, will ya.

Last edited:
I keep trying to imagine this Rube Goldberg like holster as well.

Maybe he has one of those holsters the TSA requires the FFDO pilots to use that are allowed to carry on planes. That is the dumbest holster I've ever seen in my entire life. (it has a hole in the trigger guard area for a f**king padlock!!!)

-Mike

In general I agree with Martlet. An empty chamber semi in your pants will still do you more good than a fully loaded AK in the safe at home. Everything is a tradeoff, find your comfort level and roll with it. What confuses me are the people who explain milquetoast justifications for "CCW Lite," where they detail how they're carrying a gun for the non-violent, easiest to foresee, least-determined-opponent brand of self defense situation on the planet.

MPs and even DoD civilian police aren't even allowed to carry their duty pistols in condition 1.

I'm not a .mil guy, but I think some of them do. Feel free to Scriv me if I'm wrong. [laugh]

Some states do mandate "get a holster" for this reason.

I know Georgia just dumped their holster requirement in the last legislative session, are there other states that require this as well?

Just out of curiosity, can you, the OP, say exactly what holster you are using so that nobody on here ever buys one similar to it?

Put me in line for this info too.

I know Georgia just dumped their holster requirement in the last legislative session, are there other states that require this as well?

Not that I know of, I was referring to Georgia. Didn't know they dumped that, thanks!

Ohio requires a holster to carry the pistol on your person.

Holster not required to drive with the gun in the glove box or center console. Right now OH law dicates where in the car you can place a loaded handgun. Current bills making their way through the House will eliminate that as well as de-criminalizing the carrying of concealed handguns by licensed individuals into places that serve liquor .

Back
Top Bottom