For Citizens who carry daily - Carry Extra Mags or a Rifle/ammo in your vehicle?

Do you carry extra mags or keep a rifle/shotgun/ammo in your vehicle?

• I ONLY carry a sidearm with one mag

Votes: 100 47.8%
  • I carry a sidearm with multiple mags (Or two sidearms)

Votes: 92 44.0%
  • I keep a Rifle / Shotgun / Ammo in my vehicle

Votes: 4 1.9%
  • I both keep a Rifle/Shotgun in my vehicle AND carry extra mags

Votes: 13 6.2%

• Total voters
I carry chambered, ready to go and for those who dont my advice is to keep it to yourself. Do you play poker and hold your cards backwards showing everybody at the table your hand?

I'll be the first to admit I'm a younger guy and sure I'm not perfect and I'm admittedly fairly new to firearms. This is just what I'm doing, and I have my reasons for doing it. I apologize that I've not gotten a new Holster as I'm not perfect. Thanks to the guys who have advice for me and know common courtesy/respect. I actually do value and appreciate your opinions and come to these forums because of it. I've already met a couple REALLY great people IRL from this forum and plan on continuing to do so.

So bottom line: I don't carry my firearm chambered due to not having a decent holster at this point in time and PERSONALLY don't think it's that big of a deal right now -- that's my choice.

But damn guys. Why do you feel the need to hate so much? You don't even put it in full words to elaborate -- you throw out blanket statements and some picture conveying me to be a complete idiot because I personally don't care much that my firearm is carried unchambered. You'll probably go ahead and elaborate now, but I don't care.

I'd just like to politely request that you guys keep your comments to yourself and leave me alone -- It's not like my unchambered firearm effects anyone but myself in any way/shape/form.

Whatever floats your boat. If you don't want to carry one chambered, then don't. It just doesn't make a lot of sense to the rest of us. Additionally, if you're depressing the trigger on your Glock, you may have a crappy holster. More likely, the problem is your gun handling and placement. The Glock has 3 safeties.

It's my opinion that if you aren't comfortable enough to carry chambered, then you aren't comfortable enough to properly defend yourself. You aren't familiar enough with your firearm, nor confident enough with your skills. This only comes through knowledge and practice. I fully support your right to carry however you'd like. Why not do it better, though? You only help yourself.

I typically carry 1 + spare. Sometimes I carry 2 pistols.

It's not like my unchambered firearm effects anyone but myself in any way/shape/form.

It does affect others, you admit you have no additional training and have substandard equipment, AND you carry, so it effects everyone you come incontact with.

Ad in the worst case scenario, you can't use the firearm when needed, and it's taken from you, it then effects the poor folk that have to face your gun in the wrong hands.

There is a reason we have firearm instructors, and some of us have many years experience correcting the mistakes you are making.

Think of this as a bit of free education, carry of a self defense firearm includes, a proper holster, adjusting your clothing and lifestyle to be able to properly conceal, and present when needed, education and training, think of it as a complete system where all parts matter.

I carry a spare mag for my autos, a speed loader and speed strip for revolvers.

When I said I never intended to use it I was referring more to the intention to NEED to shoot it. Should that situation arise, your chambered G17 will fire faster than my unchambered G21. I highly doubt a time will arise where I'll not have time to chamber a round real fast given my experience vs. the average idiot out there. If I should have a shoot out with you, sure you'd win. I'll take my chances against a random Joe though.
If you ever need your Glock 21, you'll need it real bad and you'll need it right now. You can chamber a round quickly if you have two hands free. But your support hand might be busy - fending off the perp, pushing your spouse to safety, holding your child, etc. There are techniques to chamber a round one-handed, but they are difficult to do quickly and reliably, particularly while Mongo is hitting you. As Mike Tyson said, Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth.

I've had more than a few occasions where the firearm gets banged up and the trigger is pulled back when I get home despite the trigger safety.
Are you using a holster?

Perhaps I just need a better Holster.
You need a holster, because whatever you are using now simply isn't one.

As for carrying spare mags, the weak link in most semi-automatic handguns is the magazine. If the feed lips get damaged, then the gun won't work. Carry a spare magazine.

While I agree people should generally carry chambered, this crazy "private choice is really a social choice that is everyone's business" is creepy as hell. It's the manner of thinking that generates the justification for all sorts of legislation and regulation most people on this site claim to abhor.

The condition of someone's holstered, concealed gun is a public concern insofar as it's not discharging. Some states do mandate "get a holster" for this reason.
Beyond that is the very definition of none of your damn business.

He's free to carry however he wants to do so. But he's not going to convince me that carrying condition 3 and no spare magazine is wise, and I'll post to the contrary.

The holster he is using now, however, appears to be a danger to himself and others.

He's free to carry however he wants to do so. But he's not going to convince me that carrying condition 3 and no spare magazine is wise, and I'll post to the contrary.

The holster he is using now, however, appears to be a danger to himself and others.

I think I agree on all three counts. My grouchy comments were not directed at you[grin].

Reps for this. I honestly never really thought about it, but you're right. I'll make it a priority to get a top notch holster that can hold up to my demands. Just being such a rifle guy and not caring about handguns much I've really slacked in the department and honestly neglected to put thought into it.

To Wolf: I have about 2k rounds through the G21 -- a reasonable amount, but not a ton. This is the only sidearm I fire frequently, period. I honestly just need a new holster for it so the tigger doesn't get pulled during physical activities. The only time I ever have it chambered is when I'm going through a bad area or have a lot of cash on me (I take deposits on motor vehicles and often have upwards of 5k~ in cash on the way to the bank).

I'd just like to apologize myself if I came off as an ass or arrogant defending myself -- I'm not used to harsh criticism but I probably deserved it. It's a character trait I need to work on.

I hope we can squash the back and forth on this matter and get the OP back on topic --

I'm going to edit the original post so the debate can end as I'm really curious as to how the poll turns out. If anyone wants to make a topic about people carrying unchambered firearms I'll chime in with my sadface and you're all more than welcome to bag on me there :)

No worries bud, the people here are only harsh because they honestly care. You're on the right track though [grin]

So, one comment to the OP that I haven't seen here:

What happens if your off hand or arm are unusable as the result of a surprise attack or you are pinned behind a door with only the one arm free.

This may seem like an unlikely scenario but is something you need to consider. How are you going to rack the slide one handed.

Let's look at it the other way... what if your strong side arm or hand is the one unusable... now you need to not only shoot off-hand but try to rack it as well.

Since most violent confrontations are over in seconds you will likely find yourself overcome or severly injured (expired) by the time you are ready to shoot.

My .02

-R

In a semi auto you should always carry an extra mag regardless of round count. The extra mag is the solution to the jam.

Yes.

No +1 due to the lack of a reliable safety on the g21. I'm very athletic and do a lot outdoors activities / rock climbing, ice climbing etc.. I've had more than a few occasions where the firearm gets banged up and the trigger is pulled back when I get home despite the trigger safety.

So basically, if I carried the damn thing chambered I'd probably end up shooting myself with it. If this didn't occur, I'd carry it chambered. I'm also not much of a handgun guy; I only own the g21 and a .357 DE Mag I inherited.

Perhaps I just need a better Holster.

Glocks have 3 internal safeties. What type of holster do you have that the trigger is being depressed?

So, one comment to the OP that I haven't seen here:

What happens if your off hand or arm are unusable as the result of a surprise attack or you are pinned behind a door with only the one arm free.

This may seem like an unlikely scenario but is something you need to consider. How are you going to rack the slide one handed.

Let's look at it the other way... what if your strong side arm or hand is the one unusable... now you need to not only shoot off-hand but try to rack it as well.

Since most violent confrontations are over in seconds you will likely find yourself overcome or severly injured (expired) by the time you are ready to shoot.

My .02

-R

It was mentioned in post #38, but it's a valid point and worth repeating.

Beyond that is the very definition of none of your damn business.

If a member here is doing something that will more than likely get him dead, you can best bet I'll give him my .02.

He seems like a good dude, why would I want him do continue doing something that I feel is wrong?

If a member here is doing something that will more than likely get him dead, you can best bet I'll give him my .02.

He seems like a good dude, why would I want him do continue doing something that I feel is wrong?

I don't think we shouldn't offer good advice, I just take exception to the statement that his choice of Condition 1 or 3 impacts those around him, in a "you're putting me and my family at risk!" sort of way.

I don't think we shouldn't offer good advice, I just take exception to the statement that his choice of Condition 1 or 3 impacts those around him.

IMO, it's not so much the Con3 that is the problem...even WE Fairbairn (or was it Rex Applegate?) recommended carrying the 1911 in Con3 and racking the slide as part of the draw stroke instead of cocked-n-locked. It's the fact that the OP isn't carrying his firearm that way because of some well-thought-out, if not misguided, 'tactical' advice, but instead because of unfamiliarity with the platform and carriage of a firearm in general, and/or a shoddy holster.

Let's face it. Anyone who carries a concealed firearm, and isn't completely comfortable with the carriage and operation of that firearm, is potentially a liability to those around him/her, as well as himself. We, as self-preserving yet somewhat altruistic human beings, have a 'duty' to take exception to what is occurring around us.

Can we/should we force the OP to do otherwise? No.
Can/should we browbeat him online until he relents, gets some training, and becomes more comfortable and proficient? Of course.

Back
Top Bottom