• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Flashlights, need to buy a few, any suggestions?

Im looking to buy 6 flashlights for a gift for the guys in my wedding party, and me... I'm looking for something in the $50-$60 range. I've been looking at 3 as of now, these are the 5.11 ATAC L1, Olight M20S-X Warrior, 4Sevens Quark Tactical QTL.

I've had the ATAC L1 in the past, and I really liked it, but I have never had experience with any other lights. Can any of you offer some insight into these or any others which you think would be a good choice?

jetbeam and fenix for that price range
i advise against the quark tactical, there are issues with preflash (max light on for a second when you have it set for a lower setting)

Last edited:
JetBeam BC-10 ~$40 on Amazon. Love it! 270 lumen on high beam, 30 lumen on low beam (and you will use the low beam setting). Spare O rings, lanyard and end cape. CR123A battery (available anywhere). Fits in your pocket. Don't even know it's there. It's my daily carry. Can't recommend it highly enough.

http://www.amazon.com/JETBeam-BC10-Cree-R5-Flashlight/dp/B004UG0TBK/ref=pd_cp_hi_0

This. I have the same light. Awesome !!! Search BC10 at Battery junction. $33.00 bucks...

I've been looking at 3 as of now, these are the 5.11 ATAC L1, Olight M20S-X Warrior, 4Sevens Quark Tactical QTL.

Last December I bought the Olight M20S R3, which is similar to the M20S-X Warrior, but not as many lumens. I bought it based on this thread: http://www.northeastshooters.com/vb...ale-Olight-M20S-S3-w-free-shipping-and-12-off

It is a great light. I bought it primarily for IDPA indoor shooting, but it was a little too big and heavy for that. It is also a little too big for an EDC flashlight. But I think it is a great light for around the house or in the car. I just bought two more Olight lights, the T20 and T10. They aren't as bright, but a better size for EDC.

Another one you may want to check out is nitecore, they make awesome little AA lights. Also check out zebralights, they are head band lights but they are sweet.

And it a little out of your price range but you may also wanna check out HDS Lights. You can beat the hell out of them and they just work. Can't go wrong with Malkoff either.

The BC20 in my link a couple above is only $34, and has 305 lumens.

I'll give up a few lumens to have the very small form factor that doesn't weigh more than a feather. The BC-10 is a perfect pocket carry. I have other lights that go all the way up to 1000 lumens but I don't carry those.

Believe-it-or-not, I use the 30 lumen setting more than the 270 setting on the BC-10. I poke around in a lot of dark places (TELCO closets in sub basements - I don't know why they think a 100 watt bulb hung in the middle of a 3000 sq. ft. room is sufficient light to do anything). Sometimes the 270 is just to much in a dark place.

ETA: To the OP, I don't think you can go wrong with any of the lights mentioned here. They are all of excellent construction and do the job. It just depends on what you want to do with the light.

Last edited:
4Sevens makes great lights. You won't be sorry with one of those.

+1 I edc a 123ml from them 180 lumens and the size of a lipstick case! I think it was 35 bucks have a buddy with 3 or 4 from them I really can't recommend them enough for quality or value

Wow, thanks guys. The JetBeam seems like a real nice deal at $30-$40.

Thanks again!

Last edited:
I'll give up a few lumens to have the very small form factor that doesn't weigh more than a feather. The BC-10 is a perfect pocket carry. I have other lights that go all the way up to 1000 lumens but I don't carry those.

Believe-it-or-not, I use the 30 lumen setting more than the 270 setting on the BC-10. I poke around in a lot of dark places (TELCO closets in sub basements - I don't know why they think a 100 watt bulb hung in the middle of a 3000 sq. ft. room is sufficient light to do anything). Sometimes the 270 is just to much in a dark place.

ETA: To the OP, I don't think you can go wrong with any of the lights mentioned here. They are all of excellent construction and do the job. It just depends on what you want to do with the light.

Heck, the BC20 is still pretty small. It is smaller than 2AA battery lights. I could care less about the size, I have a tiny keychain light for that. I almost wish I had gone for the next one up. Until this, I had the 2C cell Maglight, and even the 2D is fine by me. I can't imagine how much light would come from a 2D size light using the Jetbeam batteries/LED'S/technology.

Just placed an order with Battery Junction for JetBeam BC10's. They seem like a decent product for a good price. Since a lot of the guys im buying these for wont actually use them as an EDC I think it'll be a good gift for them.

Thanks for all of the input!

I carry a Quark 123(2) daily - I use it for work when I'm in the field and keep it on my person pretty much at all times. It's big enough not to loose but small enough not to be a PITA. I have the deep pocket clip for it and it makes a difference in comfort - no holster for it, nothing hanging off the belt, etc.

I went through a string of cheap lights - ballistic reload streamlights, el cheapo deals, etc. and found the 4Sevens lights to suit me best, gave the rest away.

Just placed an order with Battery Junction for JetBeam BC10's. They seem like a decent product for a good price. Since a lot of the guys im buying these for wont actually use them as an EDC I think it'll be a good gift for them.

Thanks for all of the input!

[wink]

Im looking to buy 6 flashlights for a gift for the guys in my wedding party, and me... I'm looking for something in the $50-$60 range. I've been looking at 3 as of now, these are the 5.11 ATAC L1, Olight M20S-X Warrior, 4Sevens Quark Tactical QTL.

I've had the ATAC L1 in the past, and I really liked it, but I have never had experience with any other lights. Can any of you offer some insight into these or any others which you think would be a good choice?

BUY 7! Won't be too long till you will need one to find your balls and self worth.

Back
Top Bottom