• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Flashlights, need to buy a few, any suggestions?

I spent months researching over on candle power forums and budget light forum and have accumulated about 8 lights in a couple years. There's so much to consider. Do you want lithium rechargeables? 18650's offer the best all around performance in a reasonable size. There are some AA size lithiums (14500) that will come close to 1k lumens. I've found I want tail clicky for carrying around. I literally melted a north face when a hot rod I have accidentally turned on in my pocket (emisar d4, 3500 lumens for $40!)

I really like my convoy s6. It's simple, cheap ($20 without batteries on MTN electronics) and stretches comfortable above 1k lumens on its highest mode.

Can't go wrong with olight, klarus is also awesome. They're all a little different.

ETA: just saw its for a wedding party, get something that will take simple alkaline AA's and can also take lithium. Unless you want to get them cells and chargers. Olight is the best bet for larger cell because it has the USB/magnet recharging option hasn't is well protected so they don't need to be well versed in the dangers of lithium and learn to charge them correctly.

For a gift its hard to say ,when you buy something expensive for yourself you try not to loose it...when you dont pay for it its much easier to lose or loan out and not get it back.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg Fenix PD35.

I’ve been carrying this light for about four years now as a service tech and love it. I got rechargeable batteries and swap out when needed. Also had a kydex holster made instead of tearing the cheap crappy holster they come with.

You guys realize this thread is from 2012, right?

Good catch. I didn't check the dates on the first page and the couple before mine were current....it happens sometimes.

Also there should probably be a flashlight mega thread.

The quark 47s are really good, but the controls are too much for some.

I've been tending towards nitecore. I have a bunch that are simple to operate and just as strong.

Batteries, Chargers, LED Flashlights, and More!

Great company to buy from. Finding one from there selection should be easy. I've had good luck with Jetbeam and Fenix. You really can't go wrong.

Thanks for that link. I love the Nitecore smartring lights (I really, and they are 25% off their already low prices right now. Picking up an SRT9. 2150 lumens. [thumbsup]

By the way, for anyone who likes to research items before purchasing like I do, check out candlepowerforums for flashlight reviews.
REVIEW: Nitecore SRT9 Flashlight

Last edited:
Anker 1300 Lumen rechargeable on Amazon. Right at your price and great light. I’ve given several as gifts with great success.

Of course it'll all depend on your needs. The last few years, I've had good luck with the Coast HP-1, which sells for $10 shipped. They are quite bright at 190 lumens. Very small. Durable. Just take a single AA battery, no need to mess with weird batteries or rechargeables. The beam is adjustable from wide to narrow. And if you want, you can use one of those weird rechargeables in it to get a boost in lumens... I did this for one of my flashlights and it worked fine. But, I'm just not sure the point... a single AA battery in it lasts me well over a year and a rechargeable may require recharging more frequently than that. I have bought at least 6 of them, and none of them have failed or had the slow battery drain when left unused... they always just work when I turn them on.

https://www.amazon.com/Lumen-Focusi...pID=31J3uBCsgqL&preST=_SX300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

So, that works for me. Most of the time, I simply don't need a flashlight that can knock airplanes out of the sky. For that category, I've had this Maglite for 3 years now:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FVC2ZPK/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's plenty bright. I've had to replace the batteries twice since I bought it, so I think it has a slow battery drain when not in use. (I hate that.)

Then there's this GRDE headlamp which is even brighter at 1800 lumens. This thing is nuts. I haven't had any phantom battery drain problem with it... it seems to hold a charge.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NIOCZIK/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'd be interested to see what people use for head lamps. This would be for the family for camping, to free up hands. I'd like to keep it to 1 or 2 AA or AAA batteries tops, don't need a ton of lumens, but a decent bright light so maybe 500 tops. Would like to keep the price under $15 each. Should be decent quality, not a toy, but not "professional grade". Thanks.

I'd be interested to see what people use for head lamps. This would be for the family for camping, to free up hands. I'd like to keep it to 1 or 2 AA or AAA batteries tops, don't need a ton of lumens, but a decent bright light so maybe 500 tops. Would like to keep the price under $15 each. Should be decent quality, not a toy, but not "professional grade". Thanks.

At $15, I think you'll be unable to find a quality light of any caliber. In addition, decent lights rarely rely on AA or AAA batteries.

At $15, I think you'll be unable to find a quality light of any caliber. In addition, decent lights rarely rely on AA or AAA batteries.

A few years back, I bought a 3 pack of headlamps for $15. They took AAA batteries and did pretty well for several years. Two of them broke due to unfortunate accidents involving my own stupidity. I went to retrieve the never used third lamp and that didn't work. I think I got them at BJs but I can't find them anymore.

Back
Top Bottom