First red dot....

Aside from the chevron, I don’t mind those as a concept or other aspects of their reticles. Chevrons though… man.
Operators I've met who said they've played in the sandbox mostly say they loved their ACOGs. What's bad about the pointy reticle? Bad guys go squint. Good guys look for the steeple lol.

12.-PSAK-47-Sights.jpg Trijicon-ACOG-Chevron-Reticle.jpg

So long as you zero for the tip of the ^ , where's the issue?

The tip is ambiguous. The claim is “infinitely precise”, but in reality it is infinitely difficult to ensure the tip is re-used at the same spot.

Then you have all the area below the tip, it can kind of obscure the target when trying to shoot at 200-300 and you are trying to account for a little wind. It’s not my jam. It got fielded on the TA31 ACOG, but has since been ditched on the currently issued ACOGs because it’s silly and doesn’t provide the benefits it promises. None of the currently issued optics use chevrons.

The only people in the optics world who still put it in their reticles is Dimitri, the guy who designs the ACSS reticles. He’s obsessed with them, but he’s never actually been in combat. So the Combat part of ACSS is suspect.

The tip is ambiguous. The claim is “infinitely precise”, but in reality it is infinitely difficult to ensure the tip is re-used at the same spot.

Then you have all the area below the tip, it can kind of obscure the target when trying to shoot at 200-300 and you are trying to account for a little wind. It’s not my jam. It got fielded on the TA31 ACOG, but has since been ditched on the currently issued ACOGs because it’s silly and doesn’t provide the benefits it promises. None of the currently issued optics use chevrons.

The only people in the optics world who still put it in their reticles is Dimitri, the guy who designs the ACSS reticles. He’s obsessed with them, but he’s never actually been in combat. So the Combat part of ACSS is suspect.

I once fought a woman I felt perfectly comfortable assuming was a guy at first over the last bag of Peirogis at Barstow's. That count as combat? She was big and butch.

Operators I've met who said they've played in the sandbox mostly say they loved their ACOGs. What's bad about the pointy reticle? Bad guys go squint. Good guys look for the steeple lol.

View attachment 840709View attachment 840710

I’ve “played” in the sandbox too. I intentionally bought my own ACOG and chose the crosshairs version.

There are people in the military who learned on the chevron version and got used to it so that’s what they know and like, but there are reasons why none of the currently procured optics (including new ACOGs) have chevrons.

He’s obsessed with them, but he’s never actually been in combat. So the Combat part of ACSS is suspect.
Not to get too far off topic but that’s how I always felt about that military shrink author who wrote On Combat and On Killing, when he’s never been in combat. I’m sure he’s a great writer but I always just kind of shook my head when people would pay so much money to go hear him talk or buy his books. 🤷‍♂️

Not to get too far off topic but that’s how I always felt about that military shrink author who wrote On Combat and On Killing, when he’s never been in combat. I’m sure he’s a great writer but I always just kind of shook my head when people would pay so much money to go hear him talk or buy his books. 🤷‍♂️
Dave Grossman. I've never read any of his work.

it was created by Operators for Operators. Your point is invalid.

Last edited:
Based on your budget and wanting a red dot, and what you've said, you'll be fine with a Sig Romeo 5, Holosun 403 series, Vortex Sparc or Primary Arms SLx. They are around $125, and your standard average red dot with average glass and average dots, all useable without being anything special.

I just kinda figured those airsoft ones wouldn't hold up or hold zero. Are there actually usable ones for that little money?
There is a thread on these someplace here I think.

I don’t have any first hand knowledge.

I’d personally pass, but that’s me. YMMV.

There is a thread on these someplace here I think.

I don’t have any first hand knowledge.

I’d personally pass, but that’s me. YMMV.
I would 100% pass.

In this world, most of the time, cheap means more expensive. (Doesn't mean that expensive is always better).

You will throw money at those, they will break, then you will end up buying something better later on.

Sig Big Dot, Vortex, Primary Arms, Holosun are nice entry level choices (aside from Pinty).

Going up from there, EoTech or Aimpoint.

Any higher just get an LVPO or an ACOG.

I would 100% pass.

In this world, most of the time, cheap means more expensive. (Doesn't mean that expensive is always better).

You will throw money at those, they will break, then you will end up buying something better later on.

"buy once, cry once"

My concern is anything that says its for "airsoft".

Hire me.

That's too cheap to be any good, right?
The crossfire can handle recoil. I have one on a 45/70 lever action.
The glass is not bad.
The dot is easy to see, although not daylight bright unless it is a cloudy day.
It holds zero.

You might want to also consider Athlon if going LPVO. I have been very impressed with Athlon. The cheapest Athlon I have is a Midas HMR and the glass is very clear. I was shooting it with a buddy that had his rifle with a Razor and the clarity, at least to our eyes, was very, very close.

Not sure how their cheapest scopes, but I read good things.

I was so impressed with the Midas, I just ordered a Cronus.

That guy has the best scope reviews on YouTube. Unlike most sh*t reviews that all they do is talk about their opinions and show you dudes shooting the rifle (completly useless on a review) but no video of the optic, this guy covers all bases. He reviewes everything from expensive to very affordable scopes. Totally worth sitting through the entire review.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom