First red dot....

For an AR the decision to run either red dot or LPVO should be determined by your intended use.
This. 100%

Recently I borrow someone's rifle with a red dot and was hitting a 6" (might habe been 10") target at 300, having to aim roughly 6" high and 3" to the right. That was somewhat challenging but 8 out of 10 shots hit the target once I figured out where to hold.

I never considered using a dot that far, mostly because I like shooting for groups. But it was doable and fairly simple. Also, very fast, much faster than using irons on the same target.

That being said, I would get bored pretty quick unless there are some challenging targets or I was using the rifle for something else.

I’d also suggest checking a bunch of local classifieds, you could probably find an older model EoTech for around 200.00-250.00, good enough to get comfortable with and beat on it with no worries.

The one thing I didn't like about my EoTech is that after sitting for 6 months without being used I went to turn it on and the battery was dead. I've gone to unlatching the battery compartment until I'm ready to use it and it works fine. I'm going to swap it out with another Sparc I think. If anyone wants the Eotech I'll sell it off for $100. Great site otherwise.

The one thing I didn't like about my EoTech is that after sitting for 6 months without being used I went to turn it on and the battery was dead. I've gone to unlatching the battery compartment until I'm ready to use it and it works fine. I'm going to swap it out with another Sparc I think. If anyone wants the Eotech I'll sell it off for $100. Great site otherwise.
They eat batteries? I thought they had great battery life? Damn you internet, you lied to me!

Last edited:
Yes, always have both flip-up irons with your optic, as well as the hex key or tool to remove the optic if it’s not co-witnessed, or in case it gets damaged and you need to remove it.

I’d also suggest checking a bunch of local classifieds, you could probably find an older model EoTech for around 200.00-250.00, good enough to get comfortable with and beat on it with no worries.
Don't those drift zero when it gets too hot or too cold? Eotech needs goldilocks lol.

Get a used cheap scope(I seen a weaver 4x on here for 10 dollars? A while a go) use the rest of your money 4 ammo and mags. You could buy a nice reddot later when u have the money

We used the older model Eotechs at work (circa 2005-2010 ish) and they did go thru batteries often. Sometimes changing them out almost monthly just to make sure it wouldn’t quit on us if we needed it. But yes I agree for range or RDS acclimation and training purposes the old ones at discount would be a good deal. I can’t comment on the newer models v batt life.

Two in Woburn, one for 500 NIB, one for 525 "LNIB". I'd love a true holographic, but that's as much as the rifle cost me. I still have to source some mags. A True holographic is nice because no matter where you put the projected sight, it always is on the POI.
Are those older models or new (but used LNIB) ones? Because that’s what new ones are going for.

I sold a couple older ones here for 150.00 I think, I replaced the old battery compartments and function checked and they were still solid. No complaints at all from buyers. If you can find one at a good price I think you’d be happy with it. They do take a beating and keep working.

Yes, always have both flip-up irons with your optic, as well as the hex key or tool to remove the optic if it’s not co-witnessed, or in case it gets damaged and you need to remove it.
Good points. Good idea to use some micro cord and a QR mount for this purpose. Slap the site off and just let it hang over the side until you’re in a place where you can cut it off and stuff it in your pocket without losing it. Even if it’s co-witnessed if the glass gets broken or covered in mud you still may need to go to irons on the move.

The battery on an Aimpoint will last more than a year. Put a yearly reminder in your phone to change out the batteries.

That is the first time I've heard someone say a Holosun is too expensive. 🤷‍♂️

Here's another first for you. I spent a year saving up to build this rifle ($520), and out of the money set aside, I have another $180 to put towards mags and either iron sights or a red dot. I am trying my best to not be a dick when I say this, because you've been really helpful in other threads and questions I've had over the past few years - I just don't have the means to drop big money on a name-brand build, with top of the line parts and accessories. I am trying to make something that works for it's intended purpose (all round rifle) without investing what would normally be a down payment on a car, at least for me.

Last edited:
Here's another first for you. I spent a year saving up to build this rifle ($520), and out of the money set aside, I have another $180 to put towards mags and either iron sights or a red dot.
Not that you asked but if I were in this situation I’d go with a decent set of irons first and a couple mags (of whatever size). Get your irons zeroed in and learn the rifle until it’s comfortable and done without thinking. During this time save for a RDS and then add it to your rifle.

If you just buy a really cheap RDS and it fails or is sub par and you have no irons yet you’re dead in the water anyway. Starting with irons is the correct crawl, walk, run approach. You should be able to transition easily and without much correction or thought.

So, I'm buying a 16" AR. Given the cost of a set of quality irons ($80) , I was figuring I should just get a decent red dot. Was also contemplating an LPVO but they are on the 'flex' side and I'm more on the 'poors' side. Even a Sig Sauer Tango looks a bit rich for me.

Thinking Sig Sauer Romeo 5 for $125. Anyone have a better option at that price point?
I got a ton of these on various AR uppers. Works well. I have them mounted on the primary arms lower 1/3 cowitness mount - which you can add under the optional accessories on the red dot page. Get a discount too

OP, this is your answer. The dial is much nicer to adjust brightness than buttons, it’s cheap, but robust.

And if you’re willing to wait a little bit, I’m sure PA will have a 12% off sale soon. But note that I think you’ll need to get a taller mount separately.

OP, this is your answer. The dial is much nicer to adjust brightness than buttons, it’s cheap, but robust.

And if you’re willing to wait a little bit, I’m sure PA will have a 12% off sale soon. But note that I think you’ll need to get a taller mount separately.
The PA looks like a good option, and something I would have gone with if the ones for $80 were around. Does it auto shut off / shake awake? didn't specify in the product page

The PA looks like a good option, and something I would have gone with if the ones for $80 were around. Does it auto shut off / shake awake? didn't specify in the product page
This is the one to get. Shake awake, ACSS chevron reticle.

I don’t think so, but the battery life is really good. I try to replace all my optics and lights that take batteries on my birth month each year. But, I forgot last year and just checked that optic. It was on setting 4, approaching 2 years now and it’s still on.

Realistically, the battery life on a medium setting lasts as long as a battery would likely last anyway, just from a battery shelf life perspective. It’s claimed battery life is 5.7 years.

This is the one to get. Shake awake, ACSS chevron reticle.

The md25 may be a better option than the one I posted. It wasn’t around when I bought the other one, and I don’t know how robust it is.

But, it has autolive and includes mount height spacers. I’d definitely do the 2 MOA dot instead of the chevron though. Aside from my anti-chevron preference bias, the 2 MOA dot has 3x the battery life.

I am going to make you ever more sick. I like the old dovetail mounted BelOMO PSO scopes. Being offset just slightly to the left of center makes them super comfortable to shoot.

Aside from the chevron, I don’t mind those as a concept or other aspects of their reticles. Chevrons though… man.

Back
Top Bottom