First handgun purchase/questions

My favorite sig is the 220 in 38super.Winchester Silvertips-125gr.1240fps/427fpe.I have a nickeled 220 .45acp,a 228two tone 9mm and a 229 40 S&W as well.Any of them are tough to top.

I'm a first time gun owner about 7 months now. I carry a sig229 40cal with a supertuck.

This gun with this holster can be carried all day with no issues.

I also bought mine at MFL but mine was used.

Is this gun for personal protection, target, or both? This makes a big diff.

If you're only interested in target, go with a .22 You'll quickly tire of paying $10-$16 per box for 50 rds of 9mm or .40 ammo. No point putting that much metal downrange just to cut through paper. .22 ammo can be as low as $17 per box for 500 (what I've seen at Four Seasons). Probably cheaper elsewhere in bulk. If it had to, a .22 can be a reasonable stand in for personal protection in a pinch.

Otherwise, I shot and *loved* the P226 in 9mm. Like butter in your hands.

I have both 239, and 229 in .40 S&W. If you want to try them both out for fit and comfort, pick up some ammo, and we can meet at my club, and you can try them out both on the range, and with holster options to see which feels better. Either way, you can't go wrong.

I have a 226 in .40 and my wife has a 239 in 9mm. Both are fantastic to shoot, but the 239 is probably as big as I would go for concealed carry, but everyone is different. Definitely going to have to get something smaller for the wife to carry.

For a .22 I have been really happy with my ruger MKIII. I am not crazy about the 22/45 version only because of the slide stop button. My wife prefers the regular MKIII because of the lever. Both shoot great for the money, and ammo is cheap for them.

I have a 226 in .40 and my wife has a 239 in 9mm. Both are fantastic to shoot, but the 239 is probably as big as I would go for concealed carry, but everyone is different. Definitely going to have to get something smaller for the wife to carry.

For a .22 I have been really happy with my ruger MKIII. I am not crazy about the 22/45 version only because of the slide stop button. My wife prefers the regular MKIII because of the lever. Both shoot great for the money, and ammo is cheap for them.

I've got the Mk III hunter, and it's a great plinking\entry level tournament gun. Stripping and cleaning is a pain at first, but you'll get the hang of it. youtube helps. Also get a non-maring hammer.

I had an opportunity to shoot both the 226 & 229 back to back recently and noticed the DA trigger pull on the 226 was really L-O-N-G. When compared back to back with the 22, the 229 DA trigger pull felt much shorter though with about the smae 'weight'.

However, both were range rentals and I was wondering if the difference was normal or not ?

I had an opportunity to shoot both the 226 & 229 back to back recently and noticed the DA trigger pull on the 226 was really L-O-N-G. When compared back to back with the 22, the 229 DA trigger pull felt much shorter though with about the smae 'weight'.

However, both were range rentals and I was wondering if the difference was normal or not ?

This doesn't make any sense, although it's possible the "travel rate" of the trigger was different, but I've never noticed that on Sig DA/SA pistols, they all seemed about the same to me in pull distance.

One possibility is one "seemed" shorter because it had a short trigger on it and the other didn't? The short trigger reduces the distance of your trigger finger off the trigger, which doesn't actually change the pull length, but it makes it easier for people with small hands to get their finger on the trigger properly.

-Mike

Thx for your input Mike;
The difference didn't make sense to me either but I went back and forth a couple times to be sure about what I was sensing. I have pretty normal hand size (Men's Lg Golf Glove, etc) and the Reach on the 229 did indeed feel a bit shorter than 226, but not terribly much. The weight or force exerted to pull the triggers to their release point was also essentially the same (at least in so much as it felt the same with my index finger) But the the break point or release on the triggers was very different with the 226 releasing the hammer after much longer pull and nearer, I think, to the gun's grip. I shot the 229 pretty consistently in either DA or SA (with DA a bit low left: Yes - I'm Right Handed, SA solid Bull Ring shots) but I was a mess with DA on the 226...

The more I think it thru, the more this seems to be something particular to the individual pistol i was firing.

Back
Top Bottom