First handgun purchase/questions

Hey everyone,

I've been looking at Sig Sauer's for a little over a month now, and shot a couple of them down at the Manchester Firing Line.

I shot the Sig p239 and the p229 both chambered in .40SW.

I really like the p229, but its pretty expensive. Anyone own any Sigs to help me decide?

I'm also thinking to pickup a .22 pistol as well for the range if anyone has any suggestions.

Thanks guys :)

Sig's are great pistols. You get what you pay for. I shoot my 9mm 226 better than any other gun I have.

For a range .22 you can't go wrong with a Smtih 17. People like the Ruger Mk-x, but I am indifferent to those.

go with a 1911 and all your prayers will be answered. [laugh]

i like Sigs, but i don't own any. i find myself to be more diverse in Glocks, M&P9 and 92FS's. [smile]

[popcorn]

My P226 has been a great purchase, even after paying MA prices

There is no "MA special price" on a sig. You can get them here for pretty much the same everywhere else, save for the models that aren't compliant. The reason they seem so expensive is because Sig jacked up their prices in the past few years.

For those shopping, don't be afraid to look at a used sig. You will likely save $100+ off the price of a new one, maybe more... especially with guns like the P239 which aren't that popular to begin with.

-Mike

If you have big hands, then 229 it is.

I think a P228/P229 is actually better suited to those with small to medium hands. Those with big hands often can get their pinky finger crushed/bitten between the mag floorplate and the magwell/grip panels. A friend of mine with large hands showed this to me, he tried to do a speed reload

-Mike

I carry a 229 DAK for work, I love Sigs and would recommend them all day. I think for a starter gun I have recommended the M&P 9c to a few friends for their first gun and all have loved it and had no issues with them. Ultimately its about YOU and how you feel about the gun and how it fits in your hand, so try a lot and then make a decision and shoot often,train, and most of all get others to do the same, good luck.

yea when i went to the range, we shot a Beretta 92fs, M&P .40 Compact, Sig p229 and the p239. I did not like the M&P compact, i felt like i didnt have a good grip on it the entire time, and thought it was going to come out of my hands. The Beretta was awesome, as well as the Sigs. Out of those 4, the P229 was by far my favorite, the kick was a little more than the 9mm, but not overpowering at all. I'll prolly just end up getting the 229 chambered in .40SW and a .22 pistol to shoot with more often. What are the top .22's handguns now, i hear Ruger makes a good one. I've heard bad things about the Sig Mosquito. Any other recommendations/opinions, any feedback is greatly appreciated :)

You cant ever go wrong IMO with a Sig, especially the 229. It's a big gun for cc but not impossible if you dress around your gun. My ccw is an H&K USP .45 which is also pretty big for a ccw but I haven't had any issues. I have heard some good things about the Walther .22 but no first hand experience I use a 9mm for cheaper gun for range training.

Ruger MK3 is the best .22 ive hever shot. I own a MK3 22/45 and a walther p22. The ruger is the best by far.

I own a Sig P239 9mm - two tone. I absolutely love it. Great gun. Worth every penny I gave Dennis
at First Defense Firearms. I highly recommend it.

Yea the 229 felt excellent in my hands, very well balanced, solid grip and feel all around.

How much cheaper are .22 vs 9mm for ammo? if the difference isnt too much i might as well just get a 9mm for range training

How much cheaper are .22 vs 9mm for ammo? if the difference isnt too much i might as well just get a 9mm for range training

Huge difference.

For 50 rounds of 9mm, figure you'll pay about $12 for Winchester white box, Remington UMC & similar stuff.
In .22lr, you could get 100 rounds of good ammo for about $6-7, or a >500 round box of "bulk" ammo for under $20.

Obviously prices change a lot and there are many different brands & varieties so these are rough numbers, but still representative of the price difference.

I have a 226 in 9mm, and have thousands of rounds through it.

Great gun, but I would recommend you think about the DA/SA action of the Sig, and make sure you can comfortably reach the trigger in DA (hammer down).

Some people hate it, some people love it. After all of my usage with mine, I am still undecided. Just keep in mind that the Sigs have around a 10lb DA pull, and you will need to train with it as well as the 4.4lb SA pull to become fully proficient. The SA trigger pull is very crisp, so it's easy to ignore the long DA when considering purchasing.

As another data point - While everyone loves the cost of .22 ammunition, nearly everyone I know who has bought a .22 pistol has sold it for other caliber pistols.

I have a 229 in 9mm and while the plan was to sell it after I got a glock and now a kimber, there is little chance of that happening! Great gun, shoots very well, not impossible to carry. Get it w/o questions.

Instead of a separate 22 just buy a conversion kit. Saves on ammo costs and gives good trigger, grip, sight etc practice on your main gun.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

I have a 229 in 9mm and while the plan was to sell it after I got a glock and now a kimber, there is little chance of that happening! Great gun, shoots very well, not impossible to carry. Get it w/o questions.

Instead of a separate 22 just buy a conversion kit. Saves on ammo costs and gives good trigger, grip, sight etc practice on your main gun.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

This.

I own a P229 9mm, and I do not think I can depart with it. It is $$$ but you will get a great piece of hardware. I wear size large to XL for gloves. The P229 feels like an extension of my hand, and the grip is just right. You will not regret buying it. Any comission for the plug, LOL

For a .22 I would pickup a Ruger MkIII in a heartbeat for under ~$400-450. Best investment you will make WRT to practice. Ammo is cheap, gun is ultra reliable, and just plain fun to shoot.

As far as fitting a gun to your hand: I know that having all 5 fingers on a gun feels better, but next time you shoot do this: after acquiring your target and getting your sights aligned being ready to shoot, remove all but your thumb and index finger (shooting one-handed) and squeeze the trigger. After doing this, you will realize that you only need but 2 fingers to successfully fire and control a firearm.

Granted, I have yet to be able to fire very accurately using this method (shown to me by my grandpa) but it illustrates that we don't always need to get that pinky on there in order to handle a pistol.

Should note that I am in full favor of pinky extensions. However, just try it a few times and realize that there is a difference between preference and necessity.

Love the P229, one of my favorite handguns. There are also some great deals out there on used Sigs, check the NES classifieds. I know of one that sold for 700 almost brand new with 6 mags (four of which were sold for 90 bucks), a 60 dollar holster, and 250 rounds of ammo. Do the math, exceptional deal, especially compared to even the best prices on new models.

As far as .22 goes pick up a Ruger MkII or MkIII and you won't be unhappy. You can find them used in the 250 range. Cheap for a great gun you will have forever. My roommate has one but when we part ways its first on my list of guns to buy.

Mike

My first gun was the Sig 226 (40). I liked it so much that I bought the 239 (40) for ccw and then purchased the Walther P22 to be able to shoot more at the range. But the Sig 1911 (45) target is by far my favorite gun. I am able to shoot 1" groups at 50 feet. So if you like the 229 get it, you won't be disappointed. If you want to try any of mine let me know..I shoot at the MRA in Woburn.

I'll prolly just end up getting the 229 chambered in .40SW and a .22 pistol to shoot with more often.

Go Green and look in the Classified: Handguns section - I think there are a couple Sig's in there and even one with the sign .22LR conversion slide & barrel. . . But you gotta Go Green.

I've got the 239 in .40 and a 226 in 9mm and love them both. Great guns, and worth what you pay for them. I've fired the Sig 1911, and it's a fantastic gun, and on my wish list for my next pistol.

For .22 you might also want to consider the Browning Buck Mark. They make more than a dozen different models, prices starting around $325 or so, going up to more than twice that. I don't shoot mine much, but I'm very happy with it when I do.

I have a Browning Buckmark as suggested above. I found it in the want adverts for 150 or so. great little gun, reliable, even if its kind of a pain to clean.

Back
Top Bottom