Feeling anti-tactical

I'm thinking a lot of the guys that roll around in the woods and hit steel plates while Groucho walking definitely have an edge over the stand and shoot guys like myself but at the end of the day nobody knows how they will react in a life or death situation nor will they be able to train for every possibility.

I'm thinking a lot of the guys that roll around in the woods and hit steel plates while Groucho walking definitely have an edge over the stand and shoot guys like myself but at the end of the day nobody knows how they will react in a life or death situation nor will they be able to train for every possibility.

It's almost impossible for anyone to train for every possibility. It all comes down to how good you handle improvise, adapt and overcome. However, I agree with you about tactical mules could easy freeze during life or death situation. Targets and steel plates don't shoot back.

Last edited:
"tactical". Lots of meanings to that word apparently.

I tend to think of it more like Cloverleaf than like Snacks from what I'm reading here. I'm thinking "tactics", where "tactics" means "what am I doing to better my chances of dealing with whatever comes up?". I'm doing a number of things, nothing grand, but all working towards bettering my odds at handling the unplanned problem. Improving my diet, increasing my exercise, (this is working, the clothes are getting looser, the scale isn't groaning as much, the number it belches out each morning is getting lower). I need to keep going in this direction.

I shoot at least twice a week, often three times. One of those is a IDPA or USPSA style league event at my club where I take criticism and advice from guys who are more advanced than I am; the second is usually pins and the third is either a rifle competition or just practice.

I keep a carefully packed 5.11 knapsack with me with all sorts of useful items, and have carefully chosen items in my pockets, (my 'EDC'). I've got water, clothes, boots, spare ammo, spare mags, flashlights, etc, in my car.

I practice every week with the firearms that I carry, I work with the other gear that I carry. I generally shoot two or three of my rifles each week, I've been working with them to become more competent over the last several years. I'm no threat as a sniper, but I can do a reasonable group, at 100 yards with any of them, and my next goal is to work that out to 200 yards.

So, I don't know that this is what you might consider "tactical", it's my "tactics" to give me more of an "edge", it's all designed to help me get home in one piece. I've got a wife and kids that I'd like to continue coming home to for a bit longer. Even if the kids don't live here any more.

Actually I think stu and I are on the same page here. Both of us made the point that "Tactical" has been absolutely ruined by the industry and by all the YouTube heroes they bankroll. It's easy to want to go against the grain and distance yourself from what everyone else is doing, to go against the fad. Now to a point this makes sense to me, for example the battleworn shit, but to take it to the extreme by shunning a modern carbine for a lever action 30-30...? Just because you want to distance yourself from those tools your gonna leave them with all the fun stuff? Whatever works for you I guess, actually I hope more dudes take that route if it ever does come down to a "SHTF event."

"tactical". Lots of meanings to that word apparently.

I tend to think of it more like Cloverleaf than like Snacks from what I'm reading here. I'm thinking "tactics", where "tactics" means "what am I doing to better my chances of dealing with whatever comes up?". I'm doing a number of things, nothing grand, but all working towards bettering my odds at handling the unplanned problem. Improving my diet, increasing my exercise, (this is working, the clothes are getting looser, the scale isn't groaning as much, the number it belches out each morning is getting lower). I need to keep going in this direction.

I shoot at least twice a week, often three times. One of those is a IDPA or USPSA style league event at my club where I take criticism and advice from guys who are more advanced than I am; the second is usually pins and the third is either a rifle competition or just practice.

I keep a carefully packed 5.11 knapsack with me with all sorts of useful items, and have carefully chosen items in my pockets, (my 'EDC'). I've got water, clothes, boots, spare ammo, spare mags, flashlights, etc, in my car.

I practice every week with the firearms that I carry, I work with the other gear that I carry. I generally shoot two or three of my rifles each week, I've been working with them to become more competent over the last several years. I'm no threat as a sniper, but I can do a reasonable group, at 100 yards with any of them, and my next goal is to work that out to 200 yards.

So, I don't know that this is what you might consider "tactical", it's my "tactics" to give me more of an "edge", it's all designed to help me get home in one piece. I've got a wife and kids that I'd like to continue coming home to for a bit longer. Even if the kids don't live here any more.
I couldn't agree more, I'm not giving up my AR or modern arms. I just think people paying $200 for a pair of pants because they are multicam, instead of using that money for ammo or a solid pack for their edc, is ridiculous.

Sent from my C6522N using Tapatalk

Actually I think stu and I are on the same page here. Both of us made the point that "Tactical" has been absolutely ruined by the industry and by all the YouTube heroes they bankroll. It's easy to want to go against the grain and distance yourself from what everyone else is doing, to go against the fad. Now to a point this makes sense to me, for example the battleworn shit, but to take it to the extreme by shunning a modern carbine for a lever action 30-30...? Just because you want to distance yourself from those tools your gonna leave them with all the fun stuff? Whatever works for you I guess, actually I hope more dudes take that route if it ever does come down to a "SHTF event."

For me the distinction is between tactical and tacticool: Does it have a necessary utility? Is there a legit purpose for that gear or does it simply make the loadout heavier and bulkier? Does it exist simply to look good (I'm looking at those knee pads without a single scuff mark)?

I think the tacticool fad has definitely poured resources into R&D of crap that we never knew we needed (and don't) but it has also brought us more accurate, more reliable, lighter, and better designed gear. Many of these companies would not exist without this and there ARE good companies out there designing solid stuff.

We have to take the good with the bad and it is up to us operators to weed through the chaff.

Last edited:
For me the distinction is between tactical and tacticool: Does it have a necessary utility? Is there a legit purpose for that gear or does it simply make the loadout heavier and bulkier? Does it exist simply to look good (I'm looking at those knee pads without a single scuff mark)?

I think the tacticool fad has definitely poured resources into R&D of crap that we never knew we needed (and don't) but it has also brought us more accurate, more reliable, lighter, and better designed gear. Many of these companies that would not exist without this and there ARE good companies out there designing solid stuff.

We have to take the good with the bad and it is up to us operators to weed through the chaff.

Agreed, good post

A Garand should cure what ails ya...

UnlimitedwithEnglishwalnut.JPG

Nice stock. Boyds Tactical?

I wear mainly Wrangler cargo pants instead of jeans cuz I like the pockets cuz they are functional and remind me of BDU trousers which were functional. Does that make tacticool? I think that makes me practicool.

These days I am likely to carry a Ruger 1911 CDR or the Colt Govt Series 80 that Greg Derr just made over for me in an El Paso Saddlery leather holster. My EDC knife is a Benchmade mini Griptilian. When I can't carry a belt holster a Model 637 with a bobbed hammer in a pocket holster. Hardly radical tactical.

If I carry a 9mm a vintage S&W M39 or BHP in El Paso Saddelry leather holsters.

YMMV

So does this thread officially mark the time when it is cool to be tactical because being tactical isn't cool anymore? If so, I am tying my multicam 2 point sling around my neck and and hate raping the shit out of the velcro patched sleeve on my soft shell jacket, because I am tactical as ****.

Also, painting a gun to look like you use it enough to have worn the finish off is so lame that i don't even have a descriptive word for it.

Also, painting a gun to look like you use it enough to have worn the finish off is so lame that i don't even have a descriptive word for it.
It's almost as gay as non military guys calling themselves "operators" and truly thinking they are hardcore,it reminds me of the mid 90's in my area when there was a over18 football league and some guys were going around saying they played "semi-pro" football, it was actually hilarious.

Ive found myself going anti-tactical lately, I find the way this word has become nothing but a marketing buzzword, sickening. I cant help but laugh at all these guy online with gear that looks like the Molle monster threw up on it, paying hundreds of dollars for classes run by guys that haven't been in a school yard fight in their entire lives, tactical head wags after every mag dump. I cant take it anymore, I will be carrying my old non tactical folding knife and my 1911. I think I will do just fine on the streets without my drop leg holster or $50 multicam hat.

Has anyone else been feeling like this?

I think there is a place for tactical shit. In the drawer until its needed. Its needed when either the SHTF or the next Revolution starts. Otherwise, just say no to wearing it everywhere. Mind you, I own nothing as I cant afford even a decent set of BDUs but If I had the disposable income, I would buy everything just to put away for that day down the road when I need it.

I've been thinking of getting a SG Works bullpup stock for my beat-up SKS.
I guess now I'll have to re-think that, or maybe have it refinished in faux wood-grain.

I think there is a place for tactical shit. In the drawer until its needed. Its needed when either the SHTF or the next Revolution starts. Otherwise, just say no to wearing it everywhere. Mind you, I own nothing as I cant afford even a decent set of BDUs but If I had the disposable income, I would buy everything just to put away for that day down the road when I need it.

Right, then the first time you need to use it, you'll be flopping around trying get your rifle mags sorted out, while your holster is in the wrong spot and some dbag will have a bunch of new gear after he relieves you of it. Good plan.

Right, then the first time you need to use it, you'll be flopping around trying get your rifle mags sorted out, while your holster is in the wrong spot and some dbag will have a bunch of new gear after he relieves you of it. Good plan.

Beat me to it.

The general vibe I'm getting is you need to be anti-tactical because its the new cool, but its OK to have ninja gear stored away in case you need to run out and red dawn the feds.

Last edited:

You sir just defined tacticool.
The whole point to having the equipment is to train with it. Figure out what works and what does not. Filling a drawer with a pile of crap that probably doesn't work and then relying on it in the worst possible situation is lunacy.
You don't need to spend a ton of money on equipment. In fact, much of the best equipment is surplus stuff bc it was designed to be used not to look good. Who cares if it is old? The BDU's we were issued in college were Vietnam era and had huge wing collars from the 70's. We looked like we walked right off the set of "Tour of Duty" but they held up fine. When we did ECW training they gave us 20 year old "Mickey Mouse Boots" that were actually inflatable with a pump.
800px-Bboots01.jpg

They were ridiculously big but warmer than anything I've ever worn.

Point is that some of the old surplus stuff is cheap and actually works pretty well.

Are you saying people paint their rifle to make it "look" worn, as in, a bad looking paint job; or people who paint their rifle, and then the paint wears off in places?

I'm in the former camp. I painted my rifle simply for aesthetic purposes, and I use it allot, so the paint is worn. Am I gay? Dammit I hope not.......

Are you saying people paint their rifle to make it "look" worn, as in, a bad looking paint job; or people who paint their rifle, and then the paint wears off in places?

I'm in the former camp. I painted my rifle simply for aesthetic purposes, and I use it allot, so the paint is worn. Am I gay? Dammit I hope not.......

Worse than either of those. People pay to have their shit cerakoted so it looks like you've actually run it for a year in combat. You're not gay, but these guys sure are:

http://blowndeadline.net/

Worse than either of those. People pay to have their shit cerakoted so it looks like you've actually run it for a year in combat. You're not gay, but these guys sure are:

http://blowndeadline.net/

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to jibbr71 again.

Thanks for the link; the wife loves it! I will share pics when her pink & purple battle worn 9mm SBR is all done!!! [rockon]

Back
Top Bottom