• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Farmington New Mexico: Sheriff investigating anti-gun group for violating new laws

Oooops. :D

San Juan sheriff probes advocacy group's gun buybacks in Farmington
The San Juan County Sheriff’s Office is investigating whether a Santa Fe-based gun violence prevention organization violated a state law on firearms transactions — raising questions about the legality of the group’s gun buyback program that for years has received accolades.

New Mexicans to Prevent Gun Violence had championed a bill creating the law, which requires background checks for most private firearms transactions.

“I don’t have anything against the New Mexicans [to Prevent] Gun Violence folks,” San Juan County Sheriff Shane Ferrari said Monday.

“I just need to make sure they’re operating lawfully like everyone else,” added the sheriff, who said he personally doesn’t believe gun buybacks curb crime.

The investigation comes after the organization posted late Saturday on the social media platform X, formerly known as Twitter, it had gone house by house in Farmington to dismantle “unwanted firearms” after the city government pulled the plug on a gun buyback event.

“Our gun buyback was canceled by the City, but local residents asked us to show up anyway,” states the post, which included a photo of several firearms that had been cut in half.
The post, which has generated more than 1 million impressions so far, led to calls for an investigation, including from Rep. Stefani Lord, R-Sandia Park.
65811544d2178.image.jpg

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41MjDAUGpv0

brings up a good question, and I'm sure has been discussed before. How does a local PD do a gun buyback and circumvent all FFL laws? What law gives the police the authority to engage in gun "business" that would otherwise require federal and state licensing?

Ad nauseam. Answer: Sir, we're the police. We can do what we want. Try and sue us - the prosecutor is on our side as are most of the judges. Can't you see we are trying to help you people here? Now go away or I'll shoot your dog.

At least it only looks like they were FUDD guns. But still, destroying them...yep, place in Hell.
Bigger place in hell for idiots that give guns to these people. Their grandpa or whoever gave them the guns is rolling in their grave. Donate those fudd shotguns to a kids trap team or something. Even if they sell them the team benefits.

brings up a good question, and I'm sure has been discussed before. How does a local PD do a gun buyback and circumvent all FFL laws? What law gives the police the authority to engage in gun "business" that would otherwise require federal and state licensing?
I don't know about locals, but federally we had a group that acquired our guns in Harpers Ferry. No idea if they were FFLs, even if they were, it'd be on the .gov signoff, not an individual FFL. I was a FI and couldn't just go buy guns for the agency. I'd assume departments buy and/or acquire via letterhead if they don't have a local FFL to do the transfer.

brings up a good question, and I'm sure has been discussed before. How does a local PD do a gun buyback and circumvent all FFL laws? What law gives the police the authority to engage in gun "business" that would otherwise require fthederal and state licensing?

They just say the magic word "contraband. " they are not forced to prove their retention was due to an illegal act. Some shit states (like MA) have laws that allow the pd to destroy surrendered guns.

Back
Top Bottom