• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Anti-Depressants and shooting sprees

I always tell folks, ESPECIALLY WOMAN, if you get diagnosed with depression/anxiety, get thyroid and pituatary checked. These disorders although rare often go undiagnosed/misdiagnosed for a decade or more. In fact autoposies show many people die with pituatary tumors and never know it.

And men should get their testosterone checked. I had all sorts of weird symptoms going on that my primary care(s) just couldnt seem to figure out. So, I did what any good person with access to google does and put all the symptoms into google and low T came up as an extremely likely candidate.

So, I went to the doctor and asked to have it checked. They didnt want to. But they did since it was at the VA and they really couldnt refuse it without me making it super annoying for them. And guess what? Low T. The next problem was getting them to treat it. After being accused of abusing anabolic steroids (which I've never used never mind abused) they finally settled on a firm "no, we wont help you." Why? because one of the 3 testosterone blood tests they ran was like 5 points higher than the minimum to get treated. Turns out they kept testing me till they got the result they wanted, which was like 1 or 2% over the number that triggers treatment. Keep in mind I'm in my mid 30's at this time.

Anyway, I attempted to use a non VA primary care. They were just as retarded about it and implied that I might be doing something to get low T results. Those additional tests at my PC costed me a shit ton of money as it was all out of pocket also.

So, off to mens health I went. When I told them the story and gave them all the labs they couldnt believe how many doctors (I think 3 PC's and 1 endoconologist ) failed/refused to treat it.

It's not hard to explain why I don't trust modern doctors. I almost died in 2008 due to an insane and negligent misdiagnosis, they refused to help with my hormone issue and just this summer they changed my blood pressure medication which almost put me into cardiac arrest. Came about a inch from dying on that one.

MD's? PhDs? In many cases they arent worth the paper they are written on.

“While questions on causality remain, these results indicate that there may be an increased risk of violent crime during SSRI treatment in a small group of individuals. It may persist throughout medicated periods, across age groups, and after treatment discontinuation.”

Associations between selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors and violent crime in adolescents, young, and older adults – a Swedish register-based study - PMC

Yes, that is one study. Keep searching the literature and you will find other studies that contradict that one. The research is mixed.

And men should get their testosterone checked. I had all sorts of weird symptoms going on that my primary care(s) just couldnt seem to figure out. So, I did what any good person with access to google does and put all the symptoms into google and low T came up as an extremely likely candidate.

So, I went to the doctor and asked to have it checked. They didnt want to. But they did since it was at the VA and they really couldnt refuse it without me making it super annoying for them. And guess what? Low T. The next problem was getting them to treat it. After being accused of abusing anabolic steroids (which I've never used never mind abused) they finally settled on a firm "no, we wont help you." Why? because one of the 3 testosterone blood tests they ran was like 5 points higher than the minimum to get treated. Turns out they kept testing me till they got the result they wanted, which was like 1 or 2% over the number that triggers treatment. Keep in mind I'm in my mid 30's at this time.

Anyway, I attempted to use a non VA primary care. They were just as retarded about it and implied that I might be doing something to get low T results. Those additional tests at my PC costed me a shit ton of money as it was all out of pocket also.

So, off to mens health I went. When I told them the story and gave them all the labs they couldnt believe how many doctors (I think 3 PC's and 1 endoconologist ) failed/refused to treat it.

It's not hard to explain why I don't trust modern doctors. I almost died in 2008 due to an insane and negligent misdiagnosis, they refused to help with my hormone issue and just this summer they changed my blood pressure medication which almost put me into cardiac arrest. Came about a inch from dying on that one.

MD's? PhDs? In many cases they arent worth the paper they are written on.
Yup on my list of labs twice a year. Testosterone, Cortisol, Free-T4...I could write the lab slips myself at this point lol

Have a cousin in his early 60's with a similar sounding story. Fought for years with various docs over what turned out to be low T

One of things that worked against me in diagnosis is I was male. If you told me someone in your family had cushings it's highly likely that person is female. It's like over 80-20 female/male. Don't know why, just the way it works

If there is one thing I take away from all of this is medically speaking the only one looking out for you is YOU. We used to treat docs like Gods and we shouldn't. I had to learn much more about glands and different body systems than I ever thought I would to be able to ask questions....get second opinions...force certain doctors to TALK TO EACH OTHER. All the centralized info and electronic medical records can raise antenna for some, and it should, but I can't imagine trying to get/send/carry all the records I had what ended up being about a dozen doctors in 2003-2004.

You fully vaxxed and 20th boosted bro? 😎
Medical studies often show conflicting results, particularly in the mental health field. Mental health is particularly difficult given the difficulty of defining a particular diagnosis and accurately measuring it. It’s not like measuring blood pressure or cholesterol.

You can often find some studies that confirm your beliefs. Academics who are well read in the field can spot issues with a paper that you and I can’t. They also often have a pretty good idea about the quality of different researchers, different institutes, and different medical journals.

There are papers that support your point of view. There are other papers that contradict your point of view.

I discussed this issue with a psychiatrist several years back. What he told me was that the majority of the patients who were treated with SSRIs and went on to commit suicide or homicide were people who were profoundly mentally ill. He said the riskiest time for these patients was usually when they were initially being treated with antidepressants. When someone is profoundly depressed, they are typically unable to muster up the motivation to commit violence against themselves or others. But as their depression reduces, they regain some motivation and may act on the violent impulses that they already have. That period when they are still depressed but not at the bottom of their depression is the most dangerous. He said SSRIs don’t take normal but depressed people and make them suicidal or homicidal.

People always want to find simple answers to complex problems. A lot of folks want to find one thing to point to and say ”this caused that person to kill people”. Blaming violence on SSRIs is looking for a convenient scapegoat — the problem is a lot more complex than that and wasn’t caused by SSRIs.
Nah there is more to it than that.

Obviously they are mentally ill.

But like my brother in law is exponentially worse now they have him on something.

Granted he went on to be a union rep. But he's the most annoying person now being on his meds and they just made him worse

respectfully, that’s bullshit right there and you know it

the possible side effects are insane, and going off those meds or mixing can create full psychosis, a complete break from reality
The going off them thing is terrifying.

My BIL just next next finished (computer talk for didn't read the fine print)talking to his shrink. 7 months later he was like i don't feel right and they're like yeah... well don't stop Taking them... you might kill yourself

Nah there is more to it than that.

Obviously they are mentally ill.

But like my brother in law is exponentially worse now they have him on something.

Granted he went on to be a union rep. But he's the most annoying person now being on his meds and they just made him worse
Gotta wonder if he's not ADHD. I've read couple places that some people who are ADHD can actually have more severe symptoms with SSRI's. Sound like a recipe for annoying

Co-workers knew he was struggling. They didn’t expect he’d buy an AR-15.​

”He had just started seeing a psychiatrist, and his parents thought his new medication might have been the cause of the suicidal thoughts.

And so, they’re suing - wait for it - the gun seller. Said the wife of one victim: ”One thing she’s sure of: Someone needs to be held responsible for this.”

Not the psychiatrist treating the killer though:

”His psychiatrist, who had met virtually on April 6 with Sturgeon and his parents, had even indicated he was on the mend, Sturgeon’s parents recall. “We had been led to believe he was over the hump and he was getting better,” his father, Todd Sturgeon, told The Washington Post. “We thought everything was okay.”

Top Comment for the WaPo article:

”America: stop! There is nothing to "debate". The answer is yes, the AR-15 and other similarly destructive weapons are too easy to get, period. Look at all the civilized countries in the world and note who is the outlier here when it comes to this topic. It's truly that simple. Or is this what "American exceptionalism" really means: everyone else has sensible gun control laws, except us.

This is not a subject for debate, it's been debated ad infinitum already. Stop talking, start legislating.”

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom