• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Do you carry (an) extra mag(s)

Do you carry extra mags? (or speed loaders)

• No. Just what's in the pistol.

Votes: 96 36.2%
  • Yes, one.

Votes: 119 44.9%
  • Yes, multiple.

Votes: 50 18.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I understand that most of us will never 'need' even a single bullet. Let alone multiple magazines. However as others have pointed out mechanical troubles do occur and having more than enough ammo can't hurt. One more thing to consider. If you're away from home and the SHTF one magazine isn't going to seem like much.

The only problem with carrying one magazine is that it can become damaged, springs weaken etc. I would have to say, and I think it is commonly agreed upon that majority of failures in semi-automatic pistols today, are due to faulty magazines.

There is always the possibility too, that the magazine could be inadvertently be released and it is a lot easier to reach for the second magazine than looking for the one that was dropped on the ground or floor esp in a firefight.

My two euros,

Mark L.

There is always the possibility too, that the magazine could be inadvertently be released and it is a lot easier to reach for the second magazine than looking for the one that was dropped on the ground or floor esp in a firefight.

Especially if the fall to the ground does something unfortunate to the magazine... lost down a drain, kicked across the street, or even the baseplate blowing off and scattering the rounds (which looks to be very possible with something like an early Glock mag).

not only do i carry a spare mag with my semis, i usually end up having it with me when im not carrying, too. i take the holster off my belt, but the mag stays in my pocket (along with everything else in my pockets).

I carry a Glock 17. I figure if i cant do it with one 17 round mag (+1 chambered), it's not meant to be done.

It's not about round count... it's about having a back up magazine in case your 1st magazine malfunctions. I've seen enough magazine malfunctions in competition to know that you absolutely want a spare mag on you.

Glocks don't fail, or so I've been told [grin]

Sorry, forgot. Usually 2 since I carry a 1911 and they're such crappy guns.

Last edited:
The only problem with carrying one magazine is that it can become damaged, springs weaken etc. I would have to say, and I think it is commonly agreed upon that majority of failures in semi-automatic pistols today, are due to faulty magazines.

Especially if the fall to the ground does something unfortunate to the magazine... lost down a drain, kicked across the street, or even the baseplate blowing off and scattering the rounds (which looks to be very possible with something like an early Glock mag).
I rarely have any need to carry anything anymore, but it sounds like I had made the right decision when I did have a need to carry: an S&W j-frame revolver. None of those pesky magazines to fall apart on me and get lost down a storm drain. [thinking]

I will admit that I carried a .25 ACP Beretta (as back-up to the j-frame) on those few occasions when I went to some of the worst, crime-infested places in this entire pathetic social welfare state... but still only one magazine in the gun. That was a long time ago. Now I simply stay out of such criminal chitholes.

CLMN

No. Magazines are a dead technology, like dead-tree newspapers and comic books. My guns download ammunition from the internet and blogs.

No. Magazines are a dead technology, like dead-tree newspapers and comic books. My guns download ammunition from the internet and blogs.

Be careful when using that app., though, because they include special tracking cookies in the ammunition downloads...[laugh]

I carry an extra 15 round mag when carrying my G29. I picked up a Bianchi G20/21 mag pouch, and the cool thing about it is it will hold 2 8 round Wilson combat 1911 mags, for when I want to wear that gun. It looks like a Leatherman pouch, so it is not super obvious.

I prefer sholder rigs and there is room for two spares. If I use anything else no extra mags.

Same here. I'll usually carry just one extra mag in the shoulder rig, and pocket carry a spare if I'm carrying IWB..................of course I need to cycle through the first couple of snap caps first. [laugh]

The way i see it if you need an extra mag youd be better off with a second gun

The "New York Reload" is effective, and is a compelling reason to carry two guns (I usually do not, but always a spare magazine or a speed strip) Some LE agencies have mandated a back-up gun as well as extra ammunition. (The back-up concept doesn't seem to be as popular in New England as in other regions).

Mark L.

The "New York Reload" is effective, and is a compelling reason to carry two guns (I usually do not, but always a spare magazine or a speed strip) Some LE agencies have mandated a back-up gun as well as extra ammunition. (The back-up concept doesn't seem to be as popular in New England as in other regions).

Mark L.

Welcome back my friend!

Interestingly, back in 1976 I was told (no idea if true or not) that the MA SP ordered a couple hundred OMC Backup .380s as bugs to be carried by some troops.

That was my first ccw gun and it was absolutely terrible to shoot, with a 15+ # trigger pull that a MA AG would be proud of along with a 1-7/8" bbl made for terrible accuracy. [Bought a German PPK/s to replace it a couple years later and sold the OMC on consignment. NOTE: OMC company later morphed into AMT.]

I always carry a spare mag ever since seeing this sign....

pedobear.jpg

Last edited:
That was a long time ago. Now I simply stay out of such criminal chitholes.

CLMN

But some of us live in those criminal chitholes.

[smile]

J-frames are fine and dandy, but I've been there, done that, and come out vastly preferring a semi-auto. Whether or not 5 shots of .38 Special is sufficient enough to incapacitate multiple assailants (or one particularly determined one) is not something I would hedge my bets on, but to each their own.

But some of us live in those criminal chitholes.

[smile]

J-frames are fine and dandy, but I've been there, done that, and come out vastly preferring a semi-auto. Whether or not 5 shots of .38 Special is sufficient enough to incapacitate multiple assailants (or one particularly determined one) is not something I would hedge my bets on, but to each their own.

What about 5 shots of 357 mag?

I always carry one. I'd carry two if I wasn't positive it would put me over the top into the "Fat Batman" category.

For those carrying in pocket due to concealment, an old multi tool pouch works great for compact mags. Larger mags may require a slightly bigger knife pouch but it still works well and goes completely undetected.

Back
Top Bottom