• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Do you carry (an) extra mag(s)

Do you carry extra mags? (or speed loaders)

• No. Just what's in the pistol.

Votes: 96 36.2%
  • Yes, one.

Votes: 119 44.9%
  • Yes, multiple.

Votes: 50 18.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
So what's the easiest way for me to carry a full size 1911 government along with two additional 10 rounders? I usually only carry a Ruger LCR with no speedloader when I go to Market Basket. You guys are making me rethink this.

I carry my full-size 1911 in a basic IWB holster at ~4 o'clock. mags can go in-pocket or various belt pouches are available.

So what's the easiest way for me to carry a full size 1911 government along with two additional 10 rounders? I usually only carry a Ruger LCR with no speedloader when I go to Market Basket. You guys are making me rethink this.

I usually use a Sparks VM2 along with a dual pouch. An untucked shirt covers it fine.

Kramer Leather #3. Skip the 10 round magazines, though. Go with Wilson ETM 8 rounders.

If I was going to carry an extra at all, I would probably just buy a "Buck knife", or "Leatherman" type of belt case, and hang it off my belt in plain view. No point in trying to go out of your way to conceal more than you have to.

This. A few years ago a forum I went to had a sub forum called "the fight room". Was spectacular.

Nothing like responding to a two year old post. Was your name "Gun Kid" on that forum or maybe Qwerty ? When did they ban you there?

It's okay to have your own opinions be your own man (?) and state them clearly, but you seem to be a bit of a troll IMO.

BTW, WTF is a pickle wheel? (code for d**k [as in pickle] i.e. phallic shaped)?

I carry no extra mags. If I need more than 6-8 of .45ACP, I'm probably f***ed. You do realize this is an old, old thread, right?

I carry no extra mags. If I need more than 6-8 of .45ACP, I'm probably f***ed. You do realize this is an old, old thread, right?

its not just about round count, but also preventing and correcting magazine and firearm failures quickly while still being able to maintan your defensive stand IMHO

I hate to be the buzz kill, but I just want you guys to know that prosecutors and police make a big deal about a firearm fully loaded with a round in the chamber and extra loaded magazines let alone folding knives etc. If you ever have to use your firearm in self-defense, and murder charges are brought against you, it won't look good for you.

Furthermore, expect that anything and everything you have ever posted on this forum will surely be examined if you were involved in a lethal force encounter. Your statements along with all your tactical equipment might cause some problems.

I am not making any judgement whatsoever here. I just wanted to put out a cautionary FYI.

But I completely understand that carrying extra mags and knives can be appropriate for some. To each his own.

But I know the old saying "better to be judged by 12, then carried by 6......."

Good info, and good to know did not know that thanks for the heads up

I hate to be the buzz kill, but I just want you guys to know that prosecutors and police make a big deal about a firearm fully loaded with a round in the chamber and extra loaded magazines let alone folding knives etc. If you ever have to use your firearm in self-defense, and murder charges are brought against you, it won't look good for you.

Furthermore, expect that anything and everything you have ever posted on this forum will surely be examined if you were involved in a lethal force encounter. Your statements along with all your tactical equipment might cause some problems.

I am not making any judgement whatsoever here. I just wanted to put out a cautionary FYI.

But I completely understand that carrying extra mags and knives can be appropriate for some. To each his own.

I carry two extra magazines because that is how I was trained by my instructor, Mas Ayoob, at LFI-1 and LFI-2. He gave that recommendation because, as others have said, magazines can fail. I have that recommendation in my written, dated notes, both the copy that I have in an open file, and the copy that I mailed to myself and keep in the sealed envelope.

Unfortunately, there are jurists, including our now chief justice of the Supreme Judicial Court, who see carrying an extra magazine as a sign that someone is out looking for trouble. So your concerns are reasonable.

I guess that's why we'll need a good counselor who will argue on our behalf that a folding knife and extra magazine (or two) are only there to ensure that we are able to continue our legal and proper defense in the event of equipment malfunction, adrenaline-induced "dropsies", or some other unforeseen event. The folding knife is there to ensure that we can open it one-handed, in the event of our injury or incapacity, to either further our defense or to open clothing to expose and treat wounds.

I already keep 2 speedloaders of .38 spl for my model 60. CO just makes me want to carry it more and search in earnest for a replacement for my RIA for a semi auto option

Nothing like responding to a two year old post. Was your name "Gun Kid" on that forum or maybe Qwerty ? When did they ban you there?

It's okay to have your own opinions be your own man (?) and state them clearly, but you seem to be a bit of a troll IMO.

BTW, WTF is a pickle wheel? (code for d**k [as in pickle] i.e. phallic shaped)?

1. Did a search and this came up, didn't look at the date. Cry me a river. Also, how many years...?
2. Your second line is complete gibberish. You seem to be the troll.
3. No, a pickle wheel is a wheel for pickles. The fact you related it to a penis is probably a sign of closet homosexuality.

Last edited:
Yes. I don't think the extra mag will make or break my case, but it might save my life, so I'll take it. The world is a crazy place.

Mike

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

When I carry the Glock 26 I use gen. one ( mags plural ) loaded with Winchester Ranger + p + 127 grain ammo .The bullets are far better than most and the mags don't drop free by accident.
It's the only reason for carrying the glock instead of the 3" 45acp ,also with extra mags.

I carry two extra magazines because that is how I was trained by my instructor, Mas Ayoob, at LFI-1 and LFI-2. He gave that recommendation because, as others have said, magazines can fail. I have that recommendation in my written, dated notes, both the copy that I have in an open file, and the copy that I mailed to myself and keep in the sealed envelope.

Unfortunately, there are jurists, including our now chief justice of the Supreme Judicial Court, who see carrying an extra magazine as a sign that someone is out looking for trouble. So your concerns are reasonable.

With all due respect to the distinguished Mas Ayoob, LFI-1 and LFI-2 course material may not be that persuasive in jury deliberations in a Massachusetts Court. But I may be wrong.

btw: I read "In the Gravest Extreme" when I was twelve. The man was a pioneer leading the charge of educcating gun owners on the use of lethsl force.

Last edited:
3. No, a pickle wheel is a wheel for pickles. The fact you related it to a penis is probably a sign of closet homosexuality.

I hope that you aren't anti-gay. When did you get your degree in psychology? With regard to my sexuality, who or what I may or may not be is none of your business, and your rather crude attempt to insult me, only insults those members of the forum who might be gay and see you as a homophobe instead of just a neanderthal.

I support the 2A and I hope you do too, amazing how we turn on each other isn't it Qwerty or Pickle Dickle or whatever you call yourself these days.

Last edited:

I know two people who were witnesses to the Tacoma Mall shooting, I've been mugged by 3 guys and jumped by 4 on a different occasion: I'll take my chances with the prosecutors for a leg up on defending my family and saving my life. But thanks for the tip!

Back
Top Bottom