• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Do you carry (an) extra mag(s)

Do you carry extra mags? (or speed loaders)

• No. Just what's in the pistol.

Votes: 96 36.2%
  • Yes, one.

Votes: 119 44.9%
  • Yes, multiple.

Votes: 50 18.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I carry a Glock 17. I figure if i cant do it with one 17 round mag (+1 chambered), it's not meant to be done.

I carry a Glock 17. I figure if i cant do it with one 17 round mag (+1 chambered), it's not meant to be done.

It's not about round count... it's about having a back up magazine in case your 1st magazine malfunctions. I've seen enough magazine malfunctions in competition to know that you absolutely want a spare mag on you.

Always carry a spare mag with a semi.

+1

It's not about round count... it's about having a back up magazine in case your 1st magazine malfunctions. I've seen enough magazine malfunctions in competition to know that you absolutely want a spare mag on you.

Yep. And it isn't just magazine failures.

I had read an article on here a while back (that I cannot seem to find right now, unfortunately) about a police officer in... NYC, I believe, who was forced to fire her sidearm and was only able to discharge one round because her seatbelt had engaged the magazine release on her pistol, causing the magazine to dump when she exited the vehicle. A similar situation could develop from accidentaly engaging the release during draw.

Accidents can happen. Last thing you need to do is to lose the 17-round magazine in your gun and hope that the one in the pipe will do the job.

I always carry at least one spare magazine.

I don't want the story to read " Dumbass was shot and killed when his firearm malfunctioned while returning fire". I also make sure my carry piece is clean and lubed.

Having had 5 or 6 mags "dump" the baseplate, spring, follower and all rounds on the bench/ground at the range due to "faulty batch of plastic bases" on my P99 gave me "religion" about carrying spare mags. This was just practicing in several sessions, not any sort of stress situation. Also while taking defensive handgun courses, I managed to hit the mag release button a few times on my 1911. Again, spare mags could be your lifesaver!

Always carry a spare.

Worst case a couple speed strips with the 642. I realize the odds of needing them are probably infinitesimal, but I think it's the same argument for carrying a gun at all really, or wearing your seatbelt, etc. ... and before anyone says it I am not in favor or seatbelt, helmet, pfd device laws etc. I just figure whats the harm in having a spare mag, never know if there could be a need to reload quick because of a jam you have to clear fast, and with the 642 there are only 5 rounds in the cylinder so might as well have at least one speed loader.

Last edited:
I trust my firearm with my life and I trust the mag I use when I carry it. but I'm a big believer in murphy's law therefore I always carry a spare, sometimes 2 depending if my attire allows it.

Real dumb question -- how are you guys carrying the spare? I'm a relatively small guy and I think I'd have a hard time concealing the gun alone...

2 is 1 and 1 is none. Always carry a spare mag with a semi.

Extra mag carry: I carry on the weak side at 7-8 o'clock, just in front of the flashlight. Buy loose fitting shirts like polos or Hawaiians. Never a problem printing either the gun or the mag.

Real dumb question -- how are you guys carrying the spare? I'm a relatively small guy and I think I'd have a hard time concealing the gun alone...

My spare mag goes in my front pocket. It's an 8-rounder for my S&W 3914 and isn't all that big. When I carried my XD-40 I would use a mag pouch on my belt as its 12 round mags are much bigger.

There are a couple good options.

Your weak side pants pocket works well for convenience and comfort, but you really ought to consider an inside-the-pocket mag holder to prevent too much crud from working its way into the feed lips... An errant Gummi bear or ball of lint can jam up the works pretty well. [smile]

The other option I've used is a belt holder. The standard Kydex ones from Uncle Mike's, Blackhawk, etc. work well but stick out like a sore thumb. The best I've used so far was a Safariland Paddle Concealment Magazine Holder, which held the magazine nice and tight to the body and retained well, not to mention offering far better concealment. Only problem was that it didn't effectively accomodate belts wider than 1 1/2", so the search continues.

Yep. And it isn't just magazine failures.......Accidents can happen. Last thing you need to do is to lose the 17-round magazine in your gun and hope that the one in the pipe will do the job.

yup its not about a "second" magazine per se, but more of a "backup" magazine.

There are a couple good options.

Your weak side pants pocket works well for convenience and comfort, but you really ought to consider an inside-the-pocket mag holder to prevent too much crud from working its way into the feed lips... An errant Gummi bear or ball of lint can jam up the works pretty well. [smile]

The other option I've used is a belt holder. The standard Kydex ones from Uncle Mike's, Blackhawk, etc. work well but stick out like a sore thumb. The best I've used so far was a Safariland Paddle Concealment Magazine Holder, which held the magazine nice and tight to the body and retained well, not to mention offering far better concealment. Only problem was that it didn't effectively accomodate belts wider than 1 1/2", so the search continues.

That's an interesting mag carrier. I'm down with this one that I first saw in an NESer's rig in a photo thread. The mag completely disappears, it's great. And if someone catches a glimpse, it looks like a Crackberry or something.

If one is good, two is better.

No interewb bravado here but seriously I've read more than a few books on defensive carry taken a few classes as well and every instructor has stated the necessity of at least one spare magazine.

If you do any serious amounts of pratice sooner or later you'll experience a malf, (for any number of reasons) IF that were to happen under the worst of conditions: IE an actual gunfight having a spare could mean the difference between life and death.

If I'm carrying a 1911 there is usually one extra mag weak side in a Blackhawk single holder. I carry a Makarov fairly often so there is slim to no chance of accidentally dropping the mag during draw, fire or whatever. I still carry at least one extra mag in a small leather Galco single holder on the weak side (baseplate up and forward of course). I have another small nylon pouch that works perfect for Makarov and K40 mags. It's a thick nylon with a stout belt loop so it stays tight to the love handle and doesn't move around. You can find cheapo nylon mag holders that will get you by until you find something better, but those move around too much. They can also separate at the seam of the loop and your extra mag could fall right off your hip randomly in a parkinglot. It happened to me years ago.

I will also keep extra mags in the range bag that I tote around every day. This particular bag I've had for over 10 years and it's become the MAN PURSE. Yeah I said it. I have several different cars that I'll be driving at any given time so I'm always moving stuff around from one to the other. This makes life much easier. The inside has 4 built in pouches on each side that fit Mak mags perfectly. Since 9x18 isn't exactly the hardest-hitting round, I figure I'll need at least 50 rounds to drop a Grizzly. [wink]

bag001.jpg

bag002.jpg

ETA: And yes that is an EGA affixed to the side. It was from my Grandfather's cap. He was a WWII vet. He passed away 3 days before Christmas '99. R.I.P. Grampa. (A.K.A. Grumpus. A.K.A. Thuve. He was a full-blood Swede.)
ega.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom