Detailed steps on how to apply for a license in Boston

When I filed, they wouldn't even let me submit the app with ALP. They essentially told me right on the spot that I wouldn't get it and that they would input sport/target into the computer when my application was processed. The officer (sgt?) responsible made me ammend my application to sport/target...which means that I just wrote "All lawful purposes including sport and target" as a compromise. Alas, it was processed and approved for S&T. I'd love to hear the secret on how the prior poster recvd an ALP. I will admit that everyone in the process was pretty darn friendly. Don't cros them, they won't cross you.

When I filed, they wouldn't even let me submit the app with ALP. They essentially told me right on the spot that I wouldn't get it and that they would input sport/target into the computer when my application was processed.
That's exactly what happened when I applied.

So tell us MassHack, what was your secret?

Get out of that corrupt, cesspool of a city. I spent a number of years there and I regret every second of it. As soon as you are able you should get out of there. It's a hell-hole of a town that is only getting worse by the day.

Don't waste any more of your life there. Get out now.

You know, I usually find it's better not to sugar-coat things like this. Just be direct[wink]

While Boston itself sucks, there's no ALP, it has its own AWB, and you have to range test, I have found that it was advantageous that they have a dedicated licensing department. It means that you can always apply, any day, you can get forms, etc, and call with questions and can get an answer immediately, instead of departments with one licensing officer. Additionally, they seem to have their processes laid out pretty well.

The city and restrictions suck, but Boston PD is pretty good to deal with, professional and friendly.

Get out of that corrupt, cesspool of a city. I spent a number of years there and I regret every second of it. As soon as you are able you should get out of there. It's a hell-hole of a town that is only getting worse by the day.

Don't waste any more of your life there. Get out now.
Run away!! What helpful advice. I've never been one to run from a problem, so I'm going to see what I can to to try and fix it instead.

290/300 today at Moon Island. The instructor allowed us to shoot with two hands at both 7 & 15 yards if we wanted.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAA!!!!!!! [rofl][laugh]

Good luck with that. You won't make an ounce of difference and they'll spit in your face and laugh at you while you try. But, hey, it's your time. Use it whatever way you want. [rolleyes]
I'd rather try and fail than be a coward and run. With that, do what you do so well and run along now.

Jim, everyone knows how you feel about Boston, PCs vs Apples, and Derek. There's no need to clutter up this thread with this kind of nonsense.

This thread is a resource for Boston licensees and prospective licensees, not a thread for you to bitch in. If you want to bitch about Boston, start something in the OT forum.

Last edited:
Class A No Restrictions, from Boston. They are the most professional and helpfull police department I have ever had the pleasure to deal with. They are the most thorough, however they move the application a lot faster than most towns. First in the nation for a reason.

business owner? handle large sums of money? what was your secret? [wink]

Trade secret.

Seriously, each successful client had a different reason. [wink]
Are any of those reasons something that Jane Q. Normal could use that didn't involve any of the extenuating circumstances that we've all heard about in the past?

Throw us a bone here, Darius. We're all on the same team.

Jim, everyone knows how you feel about Boston, PCs vs Apples, and Derek. There's no need to clutter up this thread with this kind of nonsense.

This thread is a resource for Boston licensees and prospective licensees, not a thread for you to bitch in. If you want to bitch about Boston, start something in the OT forum.

+1, Thanks Vellnueve

One of my recent students also managed a 290/300. He's still waiting to see if gets no restrictions. He has a good shot at it except for being a first time applicant.

What did your clients do in order to get an unrestricted permit?
They hired him. [smile]

Seriously, if there was a cookie-cutter approach, everyone would be using it and getting no-res LTCs in Boston. And you wouldn't need a lawyer. I'd guess what he does is meet with you and find something that he can use as a lever to pry the non-res LTC out of the People's Republik of Boston.

Just applied for my license Yesterday and went to Moon Island this morning. A couple of things:

1. the folks at the BPD licensing dept. were really nice. I was expecting something like the RMV but they were a lot more helpful than i thought they'd be.

2. They don't require 2 references anymore - not sure if this has already been mentioned

3. Moon Island people are also really cool and laid back. Being able to dry-fire is a plus

4. they didn't laugh at me or anything when i said "all lawful purposes" on my application, they just asked for some business related info that i didn't have so i got restricted right away I think.

I just wish I didn't have to wait 6-8 weeks but I'm gonna cross my fingers and hope the license comes sooner. I guess my only complaint would be the 535 bucks I'm in the hole after class, club and application (i'm good through sept. 2010 at the club though which is nice - also, what's the fun of having a gun if you can't shoot it?). It just goes to show that no really fun hobby is cheap.

was anybody out there pleasantly surprised about turn-around by the BPD?

I just got back from BPD this morning. They were nice, like it was no big deal. I put sport/target so and fully expect to get a restricted A but we'll see.

Yea they didnt ask me for references either. Its blank on my printed app though. DId you ask and they said you dont need it? I forgot to ask.

People who don't live in Boston tend to trash the licensing department and assume that they're a B-ramming or FID only town. Yes, they give out restricted only, but that's Menino, not anyone in the licensing department. The licensing department themselves are professional, helpful, courteous, and very responsive to inquiries. They also usually have plenty of FA-10s available and actually know what form it is. There's an advantage to having a big city PD that has a full division dedicated to licenses (taxis and firearms) because you're not reliant on one officer to process everything.

is there a better chance of getting an unrestricted class A if you shoot well. I did alright - 277 (missed the black once somehow - probably flinched - but it reminded me of that line in super troopers "that little guy? I wouldn't worry about that little guy") and I'm assuming it'll just say "pass" but a guy can hope right?

During the interview with the officer she types in the computer what you are getting. I watched her type in restrictions none. They were the most professional people I have had the pleasure to come in contact with in a long time. Definately "First and Finest"

Ha. its funny you say that I took the moon island test today (same day as applied) and shot a 278 with one "little guy" off the black area. I couldnt help but think the same thing, super troopers.

Just to mention, they were super nice and professional. If you know what your doing and your respectful its easy and fun.

Mosher was still the sergeant when I got my license, but the actual line officers who worked on my application were all as professional as could be. Can't blame them for Menino's mandate on restricted licenses.

During the interview with the officer she types in the computer what you are getting. I watched her type in restrictions none. They were the most professional people I have had the pleasure to come in contact with in a long time. Definately "First and Finest"

When the officer at BPD (not Mosher) typed my info into the computer, I saw him type "All Lawful Purposes", as it was written on my application.

Sometime between then and the day I got my license (106 days), that useless fat f*** Mosher "lost" my application (after repeatedly telling me "the State has it") and I had to resend the whole package, which I had scanned as a PDF file.

Quel surprise! My LTC came back restricted.

I took a Basic Firearms Safety Course way back in 1998 while I was going through the Northeast Regional Police Institute (NERPI). I was told then I could use it to apply for in LTC. I never bothered to apply since I just worked a simple security job. Do I have any chance of getting Boston Licensing to accept it now?

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom