Detailed steps on how to apply for a license in Boston

Got my LTC Class A today...Restrictions: None...wooo hooo!!! Yea it took a while...Handed in my application in on Dec. 27th, Date of Issue: 03/21/08...

so thats the secret, eh? have a company that deposits cash after hours? hrmmmm......I wonder if a valet worker could get one since he could ostensibly argue that he carries large amounts of cash.....

so thats the secret, eh? have a company that deposits cash after hours? hrmmmm......I wonder if a valet worker could get one since he could ostensibly argue that he carries large amounts of cash.....

Congratulations Nahmeanz! I mean it. [grin]
However, I find it disgraceful that the BPD licensing authority places more value on the life of the citizen who carries a certain amount of cash or jewels; rather than valuing the lives of all it's law-abiding citizens. [thinking]
Best Regards.

update on my situation...

Last week (12th week), BPD gave me a call to tell me my application has gone through the State's background check and whatnot but for some reason they don't have my letter from my gun club stating I was a member so they didn't send it for the city's approval yet. It was nice of them to call me on the 12th week to let me know they were missing a letter I am 100% sure I gave them on the first day. Either way, I told them I would bring it to them in a few days. The guy told me he would process it anyways just bring the letter in when I can and that I should have my license in a week. Should be any day now.

Wouldn't it be nice if these people had the balls to take responsibility for their own policies rather than try to pass it off onto somebody else. First there are the dealers and distributors who pretend that some state law or regulation keeps them from selling something to you, when it's nothing more than their own policy. Then there are the numerous PDs that are always trying to tell you that the state did it. Hint: neither CHSB nor the State Police give a damn whether you've got a letter from your gun club, since there's absolutely nothing in the state law or regulations that require one. Rest assured that the application has simply been sitting around on somebody's desk who's been out on sick leave for the past 3 months, or maybe got misplaced when somebody put a pizza delivery box or a large Dunkin' Donuts box on top of it.

Ken

In order to get an FID (not LTC) in Boston must the following 2 requirements be met?
-become a member of a gun club?
-pass Moon Island range test?
I apologize in advance if this is wrong forum or if this question has already been asked/answered.

For an FID, they might try to make you do that, but the law is pretty clear that they cannot impose those restrictions on you. If you want to batter through that way, you might want a lawyer.

In order to get an FID (not LTC) in Boston must the following 2 requirements be met?
-become a member of a gun club?
-pass Moon Island range test?
I apologize in advance if this is wrong forum or if this question has already been asked/answered.

The correct answer is NO.
They want your payment. Birth Certificate, ID, Proof of Residency.

I just wanted to say thanks to the OP. This thread has given me a lot of information to applying in Boston. Now all I have to do is change my permanent address from Marlboro to Boston and wait 2 months for the bills to come in.

Now all I have to do is change my permanent address from Marlboro to Boston and wait 2 months for the bills to come in.

Lemme get this straight - you have a permanent address in a green town, could get an LTC-A/Unrestricted for 5-6 years (they do not have a restriction added just because you filed a change of address notice), but chose to wait until you were in a red town so you could do three times the work to get a restricted LTC - does this make sense?

Yeah, I guess that wasn't in the holiday spirit. Although it seems that he hasn't changed his address or applied yet...

No I have not, but I don't have a utility bill at my residence in Marlborough. Any tips?
edit

Let me explain my situation more clearly. I've been living in mission hill for 2 years now. The boston area for a total of 4-5 years. I just never changed my address since I was always moving from apartment to apartment. If you guys say it's that much easier to apply in Marlborough, I would do so but I would not know where to begin. Are club memberships neccessary? Do the guildlines from the op apply to Marlborough?

Last edited:
Boston is, to put it rather mildly, unique (hence this thread). For Marlboro you'll won't need to show proof that you belong to a club or take any sort of range test.

Ken

Marlboro may not even require utility bills. Call them and ask (obviously not telling them that while your permanent residence is there that you're in the Boston area)

Just called, the lady said the guys leave at 5 and she doesn't know the requirements but they are listed on the application which can be picked up anytime of the day. Guess I'm making a trip to Marlborough sometime soon. Wish me luck guys!

"Stef Takes a Trip to the Range" or "How I Spent a Nasty Winter Afternoon."

I finally got all the paperwork together for my Boston LTC application and went down to the police HQ yesterday morning. As expected, I was told right off the bat that they did not issue unrestricted LTC-A permits without a clear reason, and mine did not apply, so it would be restricted to sport/target use. The licensing officer was training someone else how to run the process so it took twice as long as it should have but I was in and out in about an hour and a half. They had openings at the range for today and without even thinking about the weather we were about to get, I took a 4pm slot and was halfway to work before I realized that I would likely end up shooting in rain or sleet.

I had an early afternoon dentist appointment and went to the range straight from there with the whole right side of my face still numb. Now, I had heard all the horror stories about people being a minute late or parking in the wrong place and being screamed at and kicked out by the range staff ans was thinking about all the worst case scenarios on the drive to Moon Island, but as things turned out, none of that was the case for me.

Traffic sucked and the horrific directions and "map" the PD gives not helping much at all, I finally get to the range. Checking the clock as I leave the car, it says 4:04. I grabbed my eyes/ears/paperwork and ran over to the range where someone was already shooting. I got about halfway to the RO when someone stuck their head out of the office door and called me over. Expecting the worst, I went in and was about to apologize for being late and he said, "let's get you out there quick before the weather gets any worse."

A woman gave me a 'don't sue us' waiver and said to sign that and we would deal with the rest of the paperwork later. She then grabbed a blue plastic bucket, dumped 30 rounds of .38 into it with a revolver and sent me out to the range.

The weather was nasty. Cold, windy, rain bordering on sleet and dusk was fast approaching. Ideal testing conditions. The RO stopped the other shooter and made him clear while he grabbed a target for me and set it up. He ran through the requirements and safety spiel and I asked if I could dry-fire the revolver a couple of times to get a feel for the break. He said sure and I squeezed off a couple SA and a couple DA. Once I said I was good, he called the range hot and we finished the first course. 18 rounds from 7 yards DA, one or two handed as we preferred. We then stepped back to 15 yards and fired 12 more rounds, SA or DA, one or two handed as we preferred.

I finished and cleared and the other guy was still running his last 12. The RO said "tell them you aced it" and sent me back to the building with my little blue bucket.

I got in and the woman said "oh that was fast, what's wrong?" I passed on the RO's message and she just laughed and asked where the other guy was. She finished off my paperwork and the RO and other contestant came in. the RO said we both passed, the guy with a 235 and me with a 268. They put the scores in the little red book and said congrats and shook our hands and we were on our way.

Now all I have to do is hurry up and wait.

~Stef

No I have not, but I don't have a utility bill at my residence in Marlborough. Any tips?
edit

Let me explain my situation more clearly. I've been living in mission hill for 2 years now. The boston area for a total of 4-5 years. I just never changed my address since I was always moving from apartment to apartment. If you guys say it's that much easier to apply in Marlborough, I would do so but I would not know where to begin. Are club memberships neccessary? Do the guildlines from the op apply to Marlborough?

My personal advice to you would be to NOT file for an application in a town you haven't lived in for two years. While it's dramatically easier in Marlboro, if your real residency is discovered during the application process, it would likely mean the end of your chances to legally possess a handgun.

I just submitted my LTC-A Sport/Target application today in Boston. They were not fond of giving out unrestricted, even if I was a business owner (which I'm not) at this point in time. Said it would probably take 8 weeks from today.

Right now, Moon Island has range test openings Monday-Friday at 4pm, and Wednesday mornings at 7am.

I spoke with two different officers and the desk clerk, and they didn't want any references. I was in and out within 30 minutes or so.

What a process Boston LTC-A was. I did everything to the letter of the law. The folks were amazed that I actually had all the docs in order on the first "attempt". Took the safety course on Oct 25th. License showed up at BPD on Jan 26th. Man did it feel good to get that, though! Anyone looking for details on the process, I'm happy to send and/or post if they would find it helpful. Naturally, it's no CCW. Sport/target restriction.

Class A No Restrictions, from Boston. They are the most professional and helpfull police department I have ever had the pleasure to deal with. They are the most thorough, however they move the application a lot faster than most towns. First in the nation for a reason.

Back
Top Bottom