• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Detailed steps on how to apply for a license in Boston

Just as a comment, when I went for my test a few months back, the range officers were extremely polite and helpful. They offered a couple of tips before the test, gave instructions in such a way that violating a safety rule was almost impossible, and actually permitted shooters to choose single or double on the first 12. I shot double action anyway for those shots, but I got the impression that these officers were gun types, instructors, not desk weenies.

Revolvers used are Ruger Speed-Six models, definitely well used but smooth and nice enough that I would have bought one on the spot if they were surplusing them.

Good stuff. I'm going in for my Moon Island test first thing in the morning. Got a practice session in this afternoon at BGRA and feeling pretty good. I've been practicing with a Ruger Six and .38 special so that should work to my favor. Wish me luck!

jped

Hey all, thanks for all the info. I've got all my paperwork and will be heading in to BPD for my LTC tomorrow. Wish me luck. I'll check back in with any interesting news.

Nothing particularly interesting to report for the BPD trip. The only thing that went differently than described above was that the Sgt. that read my application and my "Chief's Letter" came out and said, "You made some really compelling arguments in that letter but the issuing authority still has the right to restrict the license for any reason. We'll just go ahead and process the paperwork for you" No interview or anything, just that. I dont know if this bodes well for me or not.

Just got back from Moon Island. Everyone was very polite, cracking jokes and having a pretty good time. I was surprised that they let me shoot two handed DA from 7 yards instead of one handed. I wasn't about to pass up the charity. All in all, pretty fun and I managed to squeak by with a 296 thanks to all the advice and information from everyone. Thanks!

Now for the long wait...

jped

I didn't see it on this thread, and it may have been posted elsewhere, but could anybody tell us exactly what target they use for their test and what the course of fire and qualifying score are? Thanks.

Ken

The target is a large, black, squarish oval against a white background. The outside edge of the 8 ring is 12" wide and 18" tall. At the BGRA it is known as the "Boston" target; I don't know if that is the proper name for it. Every range should have it and should know what you're talking about if you ask for one.

That sounds about right.

As for the course of fire here is the text from the instructions sheet they give at BPD.

"Applicants for a LTC (and renewal) must have some prior experience with a handgun. They will be expected to demonstrate the safe handling and familiarity with a .38 caliber, 4-inch barrel revolver. The range personell are examiners only, they are NOT instructors of civilian applicants.

"The applicat will fire a total of 30 rounds at a modified 25-yard bullseye target with 10, 9 and 8 rings. Each round has a value of 10 points. A perfect score would be 300 (30 hits inside the 10 ring.) A hit inside the 9 ring is 9 points. A hit inside the 8-ring is 8 points. Any hits outside the 8-rinig are counted as zero. A minimum of 210 points (70% of 300 points) is required. Any applicant may be disqualified for not handling the weapon safely.

"Applicants will fire the first 12 rounds from the seven yard line, double actio, with a one-hand hold. The remaining 18 rounds will be fired ffrom the fifteen yard line, either single or double action, and either one or two hand hold. The choice is made by the applicant.

"The course of fire is not that difficult and within reason, there is not a time limit placed on the applicant. The emphasis is on safety. The revolver must be pointed down range at all time. Failure to pass the range test will result in being disqualified and firearm application to be disapproved.

"The range is outdoors; the applicant should dress for the weather althought gloves may not be worn while shooting."

Me again.

The paper has two more lines of text but they are illegible due to the poor quality of the photocopy. Also, I've heard that for an LTC-ALP they require a 240/300 on the test, though that was not emphasized to me by BPD.

Hope this helps.

jped

ps. Today I shot the course with .38 Special +P in semi-wad.

Last edited:
The target is pretty hard to miss. Embarassing as it is to say, when I shot it I had one really bad flyer than went into the white below the target. It's essentially a 12x18, cardboard sheet, maybe a little larger, with an 8 9 and 10 ring, and you have to miss that entirely five times at 7 and 14 yards to fail.

When I first heard about the test, I thought they were talking about a standard 50 ft. bullseye target, on which shooting a 210/300 is certainly more difficult (especially considering how I was shooting back then). But yeah, essentially hit a large piece of cardboard 25 times out of 30 and you're easily all set. I think I had a 284 or something around those lines.

They gave you semiwads? We got lead round nose.

To get a MA LTC (Resident or not) you must take a course taught by a MA SP certified trainer. Matters not if you yourself are one! This is per MGLs. Some places will also require a new course for every renewal under "suitability" discretion (abuse of same).

As a NR, you'll only have to do this once., but must renew annually for $100/year.

I'm going to second that, even though misery loves company.

And yes, you would have to provide proof that you had taken a Massachusetts approved course. The list is available I believe on CHSB's website.

Stay in New Hampshire and commute.

I am an inmate in Meninostan so I what I'm talking about when I say...DO NOT MOVE TO MENINOSTAN!!!! IF YOU MUST COME HERE BE SURE TO LIVE OUTSIDE THE CITY'S BOUNDARIES!!!! HEED THIS WARNING!!! THIS CITY IS NO PLACE FOR DECENT PEOPLE!!!

You've been warned. Should you foolishly decide to come here, it's all on you. [laugh]

certainly not my first choice. I might have to spend a summer in boston at an internship. Certainly after graduating no way. Not a big boston fan.

atek3

That's funny, in california we call it the "PRK" on the gun boards, here in the NE you all call boston meninostan :)

atek3

I also use PRM for MA the same way you use PRK for Kaliforniforcation. [rolleyes]

Meninostan is an acknowledgment that Mayor Menino appoints the Police Supt for Boston and gives him/her their marching orders daily, especially on anti-gun efforts. Ergo the Police Supt is a puppet and Menino pulls the strings.

A quote from the original post

6 - Join a gun club, $150, 1 day
Many clubs have more extensive facilities than the BGRA. The BGRA has a benefit of location and a friendly atmosphere, but if you have a car and don't mind a short drive, there are better facilities outside of the Boston city limits (BGRA is a pistol range only). www.goal.org has a list of ranges in the surrounding counties. At the BGRA, take $25 off if you sign up within a month of taking the class.

thanks for the great information!. It gives me hope that I could get a licence to carry.

So one can become a club member without LTCA? I am a bit confuces how the whole thing works, but my interpretation on whatever the BGRA website stated was that one need to have LTCA to become a member.

Is the membersip w/o LTCA conditional or temporary?

Thanks!

I also read a review somewhere that while the BGRA is an OK range, the neighborhood was dangerous. Is that the case? I live near the red-line so this place seems easily accessible.

Alexi

aig1 -- Your membership at BGRA would be contingent on getting your LTC. You dont have to have a class A to be a member however. What happens is that after you take the gun class and join the club, you'll get a letter from the club saying that you are a member in good standing. This letter will become part of your BPD application for your LTC. Its worth noting, however, that obtaining an LTC-A without restrictions for "sport/hunting" or "target/hunting" is exceedingly difficult in the event that you don't typically make cash deposits for your business or require a gun for your work. In both of the abovementioned cases, you'd be required to provide documentation.

While the range is fairly spartan in amenities and hasnt been renovated in about 35 years, it is an OK place to shoot. As you've stated, the single best feature of the range is the fact that its in Boston. As for the neighborhood, the range is located in Fields Corner, a not-so-up-and coming area of our fair city. That said, if you're relatively street smart, its fine.

Look forward to seeing you around BGRA.

jped

Look forward to seeing you around BGRA.

jped

Thanks!

It might be more than an year before I even start applying (due to some state specific restrictions, which I find very unfair) for LTC. Once I get the ball rolling, I would likely make it to BGRA.

Alexi

You list yourself as Cambridge, not Boston.

Don't know why the 1 year delay, but at any rate here's some thoughts:

- Take the course a month or two prior to applying for your LTC, MAXIMUM. Although the law doesn't specify any time issues, I know that some PDs bounced people telling them that they took the courses "too long ago" and forced them to take it again.

- You apply in the town you live in. If that is Cambridge, you apply there. If Boston, you have my sympathies, but you have to apply there.

- Most clubs will NOT grant you full membership until you get a LTC of some sort. Some will give you a Notarized letter that states that you have conditional membership and will be a full member upon receiving your LTC. You put that letter in your packet to the local PD (if it is Boston, which mandates you have to be a club member to apply).

- Clubs: Lots listed on www.goal.org but each has their own features and personalities. You need to visit and determine what you are looking for and do you feel comfortable with their members, as well as near enough to be useful to you.

A lot of people from Boston join Braintree R&P www.brp.org, great facility and lots of really nice folks of all types. They provide provisional membership and Notarized letter to those that need them to get their LTC.

If you are in Cambridge (or points North) and have a car, you might look up towards Woburn and Reading for some great clubs.

- Most clubs will NOT grant you full membership until you get a LTC of some sort. Some will give you a Notarized letter that states that you have conditional membership and will be a full member upon receiving your LTC. You put that letter in your packet to the local PD (if it is Boston, which mandates you have to be a club member to apply).

- Clubs: Lots listed on www.goal.org but each has their own features and personalities. You need to visit and determine what you are looking for and do you feel comfortable with their members, as well as near enough to be useful to you.

If the only reason you're joining a club is to get your license and have no intention of ever using it, then the facilities, policie and people don't matter much. OTOH, if you're actually going to take advantage of the opportunities afforded by being a member, then you definitely want to find a club that fits what you want to do and when you want to do it. Price and distance should really be secondary considerations. As for clubs requiring an LTC, this tends to be less true of "Sportsmen's" clubs than it is of "Gun" clubs. I suspect that there's a significant minority of our members at Westford Sportsmen's Club without an LTC for the simple reason that they're only interested in fishing, archery, and maybe some clay shooting or bird hunting.

Ken

He pretty much nailed it on how to get the license. That said, it WILL be restricted to "sport/target no concealed carry" unless you've been doing some under the table favors for Menino (literally or figuratively)

If it would guarantee an unrestricted LTC-A, I might even consider that.

[laugh][rofl][laugh2]

You better get kneepads and take a tutorial from Paris Hilton on performing a superb blow job on Mumbles Menino . . . because that is about what it takes to get an unrestricted LTC-A in Boston!

When asking for a CLASS A license, expect first question from police to be "what do you want that for?"

When my friend was asked by the chubby licensing guy at Boston PD that question, he responded

"It's not my union that calls this place "fear city".

The cop did a double take, and burst out laughing. He got his permit.

At the time, the Boston Police Patrolman's Union when trying to leverage the city into approving a new contract, passed out leaflets during the Christmas shopping season one year, proclaiming Boston to be "fear city" and a hotbed of crime and evil.

VG you shouldnt have to look at packing.org to see where it is safe to move next. The constitution is there for a reason. I moved to this state from MN, I had no idea the laws were as bad as they are here. :?

Another friend lives in Mass, and easily got a Class A AND a Class III from his police chief. It all depends on the town.

I'm in the beginning stages on my quest for a LTC-A ALP in Boston and I had a few question. I signed up for class and membership at BGRA, which will take place on Nov. 17th. When I went to the BPD to get an application, they gave me a list of required documents that I needed to bring in when I submit my application but nowhere on the application nor the list did they request any references. Everyone I have spoken to says I need to bring at least 3 letters from my references. Is this true? I am applying as a business owner who does frequent cash deposits. I have no criminal record, only a few blips on my driving record, I have been arrested for driving without a license twice but both went to court and were dismissed. The person at BGRA says after taking the course and joining the club, it should be a smooth ride to getting an LTC-A ALP if I'm a business owner with the required business certificates and the required deposit slips (15). Are the any problems or bumps in the road I should be looking forward to?

Back
Top Bottom