• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Detailed steps on how to apply for a license in Boston

You do not need letters in Boston. They will ask you for the names and contact info of two people, but that's it. It is on the green form.

With the prior arrests, be prepared to defend yourself in the interview. They may very well consider that enough to deny you and it would certainly be enough to restrict you.

Even on the green application (the same as Nathaniel's PDF in this thread), nowhere does it ask for references.

Then don't provide them. I could have sworn they asked on mine, but I may be thinking of the NH NR application.

The State mandated form asks for 2 references. But Boston does what Boston wants, in spite of the law requiring them to use the state forms.

Hello all,

unfortunately, I currently reside in Boston :(

question: Any one here ever applied for a LTC for personal protection ?
I mean someone that does NOT handle cash, or is not a "security" personnel = ( NOT BUSINESS-RELATED )

Were you "granted" or "denied" ?
If "granted" , is it "restricted" ?
Did you receive a CLASS A or CLASS B ?

just looking for stories to see if its "worth" applying in Mass or should I move back to NH

In Boston, without a job related reason, your only chance is to give Menino under the table favors (and I mean, literally under the table)

If you have a choice to move back, move back to NH NOW!!!

I just renewed my carry license and they asked me for two references. Moon Island now only has 7am as a time. No more 4pm or any other times.

should these references just be name, address, and phone number? or would it be beneficial to have my references right letters for me to bring in?

Does any other city in Massachusetts "require" you to be a "member of a Mass gun club" besides Boston ?

Which political figures in Boston do we need to vote-out in order to possibly change these crappy laws ?

Hello all,

unfortunately, I currently reside in Boston :(

question: Any one here ever applied for a LTC for personal protection ?
I mean someone that does NOT handle cash, or is not a "security" personnel = ( NOT BUSINESS-RELATED )

Were you "granted" or "denied" ?
If "granted" , is it "restricted" ?
Did you receive a CLASS A or CLASS B ?

just looking for stories to see if its "worth" applying in Mass or should I move back to NH
Short answer is no. If you belonged to GOAL and had spoken to them, you'd know that "personal protection," is not going to get you anywhere. Personally, I don't know anyone in Boston who has applied for an "A" and not gotten it, although some have the restrictions noted.

Are you a Second Amendment Activist? If you are, then you should stay in Boston, and spend time speaking to your elected representatives and even the Mayor if given the opportunity. Speak in a reasonable tone about how Boston gun laws do not reduce crime but do criminalize lawful gun owners, and offer pragmatic alternatives. Tell your friends you are a gun owner, and take them shooting. Explain on the way home, after they've enjoyed it, what steps they need to take to move ahead.

Running away from a fight and calling the victor names is not going to change anything. BTW, Boston is a great place to live: my wife and my three kids born here love it. But if you don't use the harbor, don't go to sports, musical, or theatrical events, visit museums, or hang around the eateries and drinkeries (some filled with very good looking women), you won't like it.

I find it tragic that a few of portray your RKBA as so central to your life's values that you offer the advice to "Move to NH." If you were really committed to the RKBA fight, wouldn't you move to Boston? Some of you demonstrate why gun owner rights are so easily trampled: all you do is make snide comments and take the easy way out. You should be ashamed of yourselves.

To give those of you an update after my second renewal in Boston, they did require a gun club membership this time - first time they didn't.

The list of people given unrestricted Class A licenses is as listed in the OP. They require a Certificate of Good Standing from the Secretary of State if you are a business owner. They require you to bring deposit slips proving you make deposit slips - but deposit slips do not say if the deposit is cash or checks, and the office doesn't ask. They will also ask you to bring the bank statements proving you really did make those deposits. This is trivial if you actually own a business.

Once the officer decides you are not an immature yahoo, he or she will be quite polite and business like and get you on your way. You will generally have your pick of dates for a range appointment.

The range test is really easy. It is SO easy that if you can't pass it, there is no way you should be carrying a firearm: your target would be safer than passers-by. Get a bodyguard or a big dog. If you can't handle the stress of firing a .38 revolver at a big piece of paper in daylight, ditto.

The range staff is professional and low-key. The Moon Island Range is a really cool place in Boston Harbor and they like working there.

They will no longer be working there if someone shoots someone, or if someone launches a round somewhere where it shouldn't go. So they are no more and no less uptight than I would be if I was dealing with a group of people I didn't know who seem stressed out over shooting at a giant piece of paper.

As to getting a restricted license. Yup, if you don't meet some of the conditions Boston has set, they will add a restriction, such as one allowing you to carry only to and from the range. But it still allows you to carry a firearm, subject to those conditions. Have you ever noticed that places like BRP and just about every other club in MA are open 24/7? That means that at any time of the day or night you could be on the way to or from the range. I suggest you speak to a knowledgeable attorney about what real world rights accrue to you, and not the musings of the terminally negative.

Does any other city in Massachusetts "require" you to be a "member of a Mass gun club" besides Boston ?
No. That's Boston BS.
Which political figures in Boston do we need to vote-out in order to possibly change these crappy laws ?
Tom Menino - they're not laws, they're BPD policies. And the CLEO of Boston does what Tom Menino says - he says "Frog", Davis hops.

Just handed in my application in Boston today, the licensing officer told me 6-8 weeks in the mail. Range test on Thursday, December 27th at 4pm.

As you know, the weather was really shitty yesterday. Shooting in pouring rain was really difficult, my eye protection kept on getting fogged up and wet. When I finished shooting, I really felt that I had failed. My score just made the cut at 228. The officers at the range said 4-5 weeks, the wait is killing me.

Congratulations on passing! The fact that it's an outdoor range is what worries me the most. I plan on applying in February and I'm worried about taking the test in freezing cold with a heavy coat on, when I'm use to shooting at indoor ranges.

The test isn't long enough for you to feel the cold if you're wearing a sweater or sweatshirt. But when it's pouring and you're trying to line up your sights, and your eye protection gets foggy and wet, it's not fun. This was my first experience shooting at an outdoor range and I think on a nice day it would be more relaxing than indoor ranges.

Ian, it's not hard. Just get a nice pair of shooting gloves that'll keep you warm for 10 minutes and practice. Maybe have someone dump a bucket of cold water on you slowly while you shoot indoors.

J/K. Can't control the weather, just control those aspects of the test that you can (practice)

Once you're in the sixth week, give the licensing desk a call just to check up. Be polite and just ask on the status of your application.

After all, they wouldn't want to make it EASY for you to pass the test! [rolleyes] They're not showing their bias towards unarmed citizens... much.

If you're a healthy, able bodied person, and can't pass that test, you honestly don't have much business handling a handgun. The target is HUGE.

If you're a healthy, able bodied person, and can't pass that test, you honestly don't have much business handling a handgun. The target is HUGE.

There are several reasons why a healthy, able bodied person may not pass the test but be well qualified to handle a gun!
Weather: rain or shine, sleet or snow, you shoot bare handed and with glasses on. Glasses fog up as soon as they hit your face. Too bad. Raining hard? Snow Flakes stick? Too bad.[sad]
Firearm: Old Ruger .38 caliber may not have been cleaned and oiled for weeks. It is stored on Moon Island, meaning surrounded by water. Moisture and firearms are not the best mix. Even those folks who have a good grip and flawless trigger finger may find the firearm difficult to shoot DA, single hand.
Hand Strength: No matter how strong your grip is, if your arthritis is kicking up, you may have a hard time with the trigger pull.
Personality:Some folks get a case of nerves when under stress to pass a test. They may be the safest gun handlers in the county but when it comes to performing under pressure, they buckle.
On the plus side: The Inspector and other police personel on the range staff are friendly, helpful and supportive.
I passed the range test a few years ago. I practised at the BGRA on the Boston Target until I was scoring 270 consistently. On the day of my test, I scored considerably less but enough to pass. I chalk the lower score up to first time nerves and an extremely difficult trigger pull on my assigned gun.
If the Boston Licensing Authority wanted to encourage success at the range, they would allow citizens to bring their own firearms. There are lots of men and women who are older than you that still have every right to own an LTC. I would discourage negative remarks about folks who may not have passed the test the first time around.
Keep in mind that this test is arbitrary, everyone in the State does not have to take it. [grin]
Best Regards.

I'll give you the weather, but I found the Ruger I was given to have a very nice trigger, much nicer than the Taurus I was using at AFS to practice with. The guns were definitely well used but looked to be in nice shape overall, it's not like they toss it in the water between quals. When I went there, they said they didn't care one way or the other if we went one/two handed, as long as we shot from the correct distances. I followed the rules to the letter anyway.

I really saw it as a chance to shoot thirty rounds of .38 out of a nice old revolver at no additional cost. Scored a 285 or so I think, I pulled one very low but put most of the rest in the 10 ring. Sorta wanted (and still) to find a Ruger Speed Six after that because I really like the feel of it.

update on my situation...

Last week (12th week), BPD gave me a call to tell me my application has gone through the State's background check and whatnot but for some reason they don't have my letter from my gun club stating I was a member so they didn't send it for the city's approval yet. It was nice of them to call me on the 12th week to let me know they were missing a letter I am 100% sure I gave them on the first day. Either way, I told them I would bring it to them in a few days. The guy told me he would process it anyways just bring the letter in when I can and that I should have my license in a week. Should be any day now.

Obviously not a great situation but it's not the longest I've heard of (in Boston or elsewhere) either. They probably already have the card and are just waiting for CLEO final signoff.

Back
Top Bottom