Detailed steps on how to apply for a license in Boston

I don't remember which two i gave them but in the interest of not getting turned away i brought 3... Reason being I didn't know if they wanted bills from two different utilities, or, two sequential bills from the same utility company to prove you've been there for a bit. Because of this i brought two of the same type of utility one month apart, and another bill from a different type of utility.

Like i said I don't know which two I gave them but I do remember the guy at the counter didn't really care which two I gave him. He sort of looked at me cross-eyed when i asked which two he wanted.

So you're saying he definitely asked you for two?

So you're saying he definitely asked you for two?

good point I didn't really answer that. Honestly I don't remember... I just gave him two but I don't remember if he required both. I'd just bring in two months worth of cable bill and one month of mortgage or another type of proof then you should be all set. or you could try calling again tomorrow before you head in.

good point I didn't really answer that. Honestly I don't remember... I just gave him two but I don't remember if he required both. I'd just bring in two months worth of cable bill and one month of mortgage or another type of proof then you should be all set. or you could try calling again tomorrow before you head in.

This is very helpful. Thanks everyone.
I managed to get through and the licensing unit is open 8AM to 4PM.

I don't think they accept cable bills, at least they wouldn't earlier in the year which is why I had to get proof of residency from the voter registration desk @ city hall.

I don't think they accept cable bills, at least they wouldn't earlier in the year which is why I had to get proof of residency from the voter registration desk @ city hall.

It worked for me this morning. I just handed the officer the stack of paperwork, which had two months of cable bills, and he just looked through without saying anything. My qualification is next Wednesday, 7AM. I guess it depends on who you get.

By the way, the service counter is open at 8:30, not 8:00 like the woman at the main number told me yesterday. [rolleyes]

Got mine on Saturday. 3 weeks plus 1 day.

I called 'cause it's been 4 weeks and I haven't received mine yet just to make sure there wasn't a problem with it or something. No problem, just not processed yet... how does this happen? I suppose I assumed that they'd be either processed in order of receipt or in bulk so I don't get why mine's taking longer than somebody else's who applied after me. I am extremely envious of beansnow!! I've got my hopes up to buy a few guns on day 1 (as a side-note I shot a few .22s at the MRA the other day as part of the orientation and IMMEDIATELY decided to add a Ruger .22 MarkIII to the list... I figured since i've shot some more powerful pistols that the old .22 would be no prob. HA!) I just wish day 1 would come sooner!!!

Edit: Just got a call from BPD licensing dept. that said the license was going in the mail today. I must have been charming enough on the phone for a second look or something. I guess the bottom line in this post is I should have followed the hitchhiker's guide's advice: "don't panic"

Last edited:
are you guys counting your days/weeks from your Moon Island Test or the day you submitted the application at BPD?

are you guys counting your days/weeks from your Moon Island Test or the day you submitted the application at BPD?

I'm quoting 4 weeks exactly (assuming i get it tomorrow) after the moon island test. I took the test 1 day after applying at BPD.

beansnow said earlier that he took the moon island test the same day he applied.

Lately it seems from reading other posts that it takes roughly 30 days from application date to receipt of the license.

yea i took the test the same day as applying, Friday the 10th, and received my license Saturday May 2nd. I would have imagined it was in order of completing the moon island test but maybe not.

I got a Ruger SR9, love it.

Last edited:
I applied on April 21st took my Moon Island test on April 24th. My LTC class A restricted came on Saturday May 15th. Pretty good turn around time.

This is my first post on this excellent web site here. Thanks to everyone for all the info I've already learned here.

Let's assume a City of Boston applicant for an LTC is okay with ultimately receiving an LTC A Restricted to Target Shooting (rather than unrestricted, since that seems so difficult to be approved for in Boston).

1. The City of Boston LTC application form (the green-colored one, labeled G 13-CIV) seems to have been updated since the one posted in this thread on 12/31/05. Though the Massachusetts state form’s wording is “Reason for Requesting the issuance of card or license” (see here: http://www.mass.gov/Eeops/docs/chsb/frb_fid_lic_app.pdf), the City of Boston form’s wording is "For what purpose do you require a License to Carry Firearms?" And the space provided to answer allows for at most approx 12 words. Perhaps the question may be really asking which LTC does the applicant seek (e.g., Class A, Class A with restriction conditional of employment, Class A restricted to Target Shooting, or Class B) rather than a detailed response.

(a) Do both forms need to be filled out by the applicant, or just the City of Boston form?

(b) It seems like either one or perhaps even both of the questions above might be asked. What is the appropriate and correct response here to both questions (though similar questions, they are a bit different) for someone who simply wants the LTC Class A Restricted to Target Shooting?

(c) Also, can the applicant simply respond / fill in the Boston form answer as "LTC Class A" (to at least give the applicant a theoretical chance at getting unrestricted, and then during the interview/submission the police official, and the applicant then can always add in the Target Restriction, if told to do so by the police administrator?

2. If an applicant is asked why does he/she need large capacity, and that a Class B should suffice (with or without restrictions), how should an applicant respond?

Thank you ahead of time for any responses, and thanks again for all the very helpful info and thoughts throughout this entire web site.

Use the Boston form. They will simply take the answers on it and type them into the computer.

They won't ask you to take a Class B. Unless you provide them with what in their view is a very good reason to get an unrestricted A, you'll get a restricted A.

Transport question for all of you Boston residents that have Class A 'restricted' for Target and Shooting... For large-cap handgun proper transport is unloaded in locked container in trunk, thats clear. However, read on one of the threads (not this one) that a guy was told by his PD that since his Class A was 'restricted', he could ONLY go to and from his house to the range - no stops in between (gas, gun shop, store, etc.) even if the gun was unloaded, in a locked case, and in his locked trunk.

What is your understanding of proper transport for Class A 'restricted' as far as stops in-between the range and house?

What is your understanding of proper transport for Class A 'restricted' as far as stops in-between the range and house?

Sadly, it is whatever your chief/licensing officer says it is. ANYTHING you do different can lead to "unsuitability" in his eyes and say goodbye guns/LTC!

"And that's the rub!"

There are no standards, everyone interprets what they will ALLOW you to do differently. Very confusing and leads to many "Catch-22s" that can cost you/me dearly.

Took your advice and called Boston PD since I can't find this 'rule' anywhere... talked to the licensing officer and explained to him what I was trying to clarify - house to range and range to house, no stops inbetween. He said that was correct but added that you could get food, take a bathroom break... asked if I had to stop at the gun shop to pick up ammo if that was ok - said it was. Asked him if this was defined in any MGL - He reviewed the 'restrictions' - basically recited the MGL regarding proper transport (i.e. unloaded, lock case, in trunk) but nothing about where I can stop...

Any other thoughts or opinions or different rules you may have received from Boston PD regarding this would be appreciated.

Boston PD's restriction is only against concealed carry. If you want to stop somewhere on the way or back, not a problem.

I just finished with my application and moon island test, and I thought I'd add a few points to the thread based on my experience:
1. When applying, cell phone bills don't count as utility bills. Also, the woman said they wouldn't accept lease documents if you rent an apartment, indicating that mortgage papers might be okay. Make sure to bring the originals of your documents (you should have photocopies to give to them) just in case. They required the original letter from my gun club, but all other photocopies were accepted.
2. If you have to get a letter of residency, you'll have to go to City Hall to the Voter's Registration office (rm 241). Make sure you bring something with your name and address on it if you aren't registered to vote in Boston. I had my excise bill and vehicle registration form - either were fine. They also require a $4 money order for the letter, which as the first poster pointed out can be obtained at the CVS near the Government Center T stop.
3. The passing score at the Moon Island range appears to have been raised to 240. That is still a pretty easy score to get, and the RO may give you the benefit if one of your shots is "close" and you're right on the hairy edge of not passing (he did it for one of the guys that was shooting with me).
4. When they say that Moon Island is an outdoor range, they mean absolutely no cover for the shooter whatsoever. It started to drizzle when we started, and they made no mention of what would happen if it really opened up. Now I just have to wait for my license to arrive...

3. The passing score at the Moon Island range appears to have been raised to 240. That is still a pretty easy score to get, and the RO may give you the benefit if one of your shots is "close" and you're right on the hairy edge of not passing (he did it for one of the guys that was shooting with me).
If 240 is still a pretty easy score to get, why not raise the ante up to 280? That way we can eliminate the experienced shooter who does not practice with an antique Ruger .38. Or the shooter who has arthritis and finds the old Rugers a bit too rusty and heavy in the trigger. The RO may give you the benefit? That means that the RO can deny you the benefit. Based on what standards would that benefit be granted or denied: Height, Weight, Age, Skin Color, Gender or Political connections?[frown]

The range officers at Moon Island aren't into the political BS. Sometimes they'll even give pointers.
I've been to Moon Island and the RO was a nice guy. My point is the process of applying for and getting an LTC in Boston is subject to the whims of the Licensing Officer and any other officers involved. Someone decided to raise the the passing score but I'll bet they haven't updated the old .38's. and you still can't use your own firearm either. They raised the minimum score because they want to decrease the number of passing applicants.
Best regards.

The .38s are more than adequate IMO. I'm not sure there is any better firearm for an inexperienced user.

As for the process of applying, on the surface you may be right. However, the advantage of a big city PD is that they have specific, laid-out processes for doing things, reducing the amount of subjectivity on the part of individual officers.

The .38s are more than adequate IMO. I'm not sure there is any better firearm for an inexperienced user.

Oh yeah? Tell that to someone like my Wife with arthritis and/or carpal tunnel. She couldn't dry fire my S&W 642 (11#) until after I had Greg Derr do a trigger job on it. Same problem with her S&W 64 . . . she always shot it single action only (Greg recently did a trigger job on it too, just haven't been able to get to the range to test it out yet).

Luckily we don't have to put up with that crap where we live, but it certainly is discriminatory wrt those with hand strength issues.

True... and a great basis for a ADA lawsuit.

Maybe in Free America, but in MA, my bet would be that most judges would side with the PD . . . after all if MA doesn't abide by the Constitution, what makes you think that they'd abide by a silly Fed Law like ADA? [thinking] [rolleyes]

Although before the act of 1998, MacNutt v. Police Commissioner of Boston, 30 Mass.App.Ct. 632, 572 N.E.2d 577 (1991) was a resounding loss for our side when a rather big name gun attorney argued against requiring use of a 38 caliber revolver for the range test.

Oh yeah? Tell that to someone like my Wife with arthritis and/or carpal tunnel. She couldn't dry fire my S&W 642 (11#) until after I had Greg Derr do a trigger job on it. Same problem with her S&W 64 . . . she always shot it single action only (Greg recently did a trigger job on it too, just haven't been able to get to the range to test it out yet).

Luckily we don't have to put up with that crap where we live, but it certainly is discriminatory wrt those with hand strength issues.
For what it's worth, the revolver I used when I took my test at Moon Island recently was in good condition and had a very reasonable trigger pull. These aren't POS rust buckets that require the Incredible Hulk to operate. Perhaps I just got lucky.

For what it's worth, the revolver I used when I took my test at Moon Island recently was in good condition and had a very reasonable trigger pull. These aren't POS rust buckets that require the Incredible Hulk to operate. Perhaps I just got lucky.
You're a young person. Put yourself in the position of the Boston Resident who is old enough to be your parent, has arthritis in their hands, has been a safe and accurate shooter for many years. And will continue to be a safe and accurate shooter. Do you think that the Moon Island requirement is in place to assist that person or to discourage that person from applying?
Best Regards.

As for the process of applying, on the surface you may be right. However, the advantage of a big city PD is that they have specific, laid-out processes for doing things, reducing the amount of subjectivity on the part of individual officers.
Wrong, wrong, wrong!
I've never read anyone post more BS in support of the BPD licensing policies than you! Where do you live? People who live in Boston and have political or other "influential contacts" are getting licenses for ALP, No Restrictions. The rest of us are getting No conceal Carry which is not a legal restriction on a Class a license.

True... and a great basis for a ADA lawsuit.

Unbelievable! Are you sure you're not a Raymond Mosher clone? Why should any citizen have to spend $8,000.00 to hire an attorney to pursue their 2nd amendment rights? You should be ashamed of yourself for speaking in support of the BPD Licensing process. You don't live in Boston anymore do you?

Wrong, wrong, wrong!
I've never read anyone post more BS in support of the BPD licensing policies than you! Where do you live? People who live in Boston and have political or other "influential contacts" are getting licenses for ALP, No Restrictions. The rest of us are getting No conceal Carry which is not a legal restriction on a Class a license.

[rolleyes]

I suggest you read MGLs on what restrictions can be placed. MGL allows the CLEO to place whatever sort of restrictions he wishes.

I don't support the S/T/NCC restriction. However, when people with no first-hand knowledge immediately bash the BPD and try to discourage Boston residents from even trying to apply for an restricted LTC-A because "they will not give out any sort of LTC", it makes me sick.

Make no mistake, it isn't Davis (although he's definitely an anti) or anyone else forcing these policies, it's dictator-for-life Mumbles Menino. Every single officer I have encountered during my time as a Boston licensee, from the guards at the door, to the officers in the licensing division, to the Moon Island officers, as well as all the administrative personnel, have been nothing but helpful, courteous, and professional, which is more than can be said for many other towns, even some green ones.

Boston's overall licensing policies absolutely suck, but they are much better than many other towns out there, such as the B-rammers. Read some of those posts where it's taking some people three months just to get an appointment for an LTC in other towns, or even longer, and then up to six months to get the license. As red towns go, Boston isn't bad, because they have a dedicated department for licensing which means you can apply just about any day, without an appointment, and because they generally get your license out within the 3-6 weeks required by law.

This thread is for assisting Boston residents in applying for an LTC.

BTW, good job resorting to an ad hominem attack. I'm glad you're able to have a civilized discussion.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom