Detailed steps on how to apply for a license in Boston

Jeremias wrote:

"1- DO NOT BOTHER FILLING OUT THE ONLINE APPLICATION. I called the licensing deparment before I applied and they told me I could download the application from their website (www.cityofboston.gov/police) and then when I went in to the headquaters to apply I was told they didn't need that application. Needless to say it was a waste of time filling that out. Though the interviewing agent will fill it out with you at the headquarters and give you a copy of it with a picture of you on it."

On the other hand, downloading and filling out the online application gives you some rehearsal time, so that you are aware of the questions asked on the form and your answers to them. Some of that 5-6 weeks between application and LTC receipt is spent by the BPD (and other departments) in checking out your answers to some of those questions; you want to make sure that the answers you give at the application interview are going to match up with any database out there in Law Enforcement Computerland, and if there is anything in your background that might be in the least questionable - ever been arrested or in criminal court (other than traffic offenses?) - you want to give a clear explanation, short and to the point. You also don't want to give wrong info. For example, having consulted a psychiatrist or psychologist is NOT treatment for mental illness; they don't need to know things like that, and it'll just confuse the issue.

So, I would suggest that filling out the online application is good practice for the interview process. You're spending a hundred bucks and a fair amount of time (for something which is supposed to be a right, not a privilege, but don't get me started!) so you want to do everything right....

I disagree. The "interview" with Boston is nothing more than about 15 minutes spent filling out the forms and scheduling a test. It's really just you giving the answers to the form and they type it in, it's not a real interview.

I Just took my Moon Island testing and passed. I wanted to share my experience with any readers, particularly female readers, who are anxious or intimated by this process. As a small (5'3") young woman w/ matching small hands, and having NOT grown up shooting guns (my first time shooting was 6 months ago), I was very worried I wouldn't pass the test. Other posts on here said the test was easy, but b/c the feedback was mostly from what seemed like men, I had my doubts.

For any ladies reading and considering getting their license in Boston: DO NOT be deterred. It was pretty easy. I scored a 231 (not great, but passable). I found the gun they had me use easy to shoot. With certain revolvers I have a hard time pulling the trigger w/ double action, but this was not the case here. The officers were very helpful and wanted me to pass. All in all, the experience wasn't bad and I'm really glad I didn't wimp out and not go.

I can expect my LTC A (restricted of course) in the mail in 4-6 weeks.

I take it that you were the young lady on the left that Nicole was helping out last Saturday? The few minutes that I was monitoring the line (RO on duty), you were doing some good shooting.

Congrats to you and welcome to the forum.

I Just took my Moon Island testing and passed. I wanted to share my experience with any readers, particularly female readers, who are anxious or intimated by this process. As a small (5'3") young woman w/ matching small hands, and having NOT grown up shooting guns (my first time shooting was 6 months ago), I was very worried I wouldn't pass the test. Other posts on here said the test was easy, but b/c the feedback was mostly from what seemed like men, I had my doubts.

For any ladies reading and considering getting their license in Boston: DO NOT be deterred. It was pretty easy. I scored a 231 (not great, but passable). I found the gun they had me use easy to shoot. With certain revolvers I have a hard time pulling the trigger w/ double action, but this was not the case here. The officers were very helpful and wanted me to pass. All in all, the experience wasn't bad and I'm really glad I didn't wimp out and not go.

I can expect my LTC A (restricted of course) in the mail in 4-6 weeks.

Yes, that was me. Thanks!

I take it that you were the young lady on the left that Nicole was helping out last Saturday? The few minutes that I was monitoring the line (RO on duty), you were doing some good shooting.

Congrats to you and welcome to the forum.

Had some newb questions about applying for the LTC specifically questions 7 and 10, and I've been told to answer each question 100% accurate.

The facts:
I was arrested as a minor for transporting alcohol and trespassing (in 98), I was later arrested on a warrant for a failure to appear for those charges (in 2000 I believe), I ended up paying 400 or so in fines.
When I was in the army in Texas I got a $100 ticket for having an open container after hours (2003 I believe) I was supposed to appear in court to pay the fine instead i sent them a letter saying I couldnt make a court date due to my job. So they said pay this $100 fine which I did.

The Questions
I don't know if any of these charges are punishable by two years, I don't believe they are, and when I fill out the application do I need to be 100% accurate on dates? If so how can I find out this info? Thanks for any help you can give.

Last edited:
Had some newb questions about applying for the LTC specifically questions 7 and 10, and I've been told to answer each question 100% accurate.

The facts:
I was arrested as a minor for transporting alcohol and trespassing (in 98), I was later arrested on a warrant for a failure to appear for those charges (in 2000 I believe), I ended up paying 400 or so in fines.
When I was in the army in Texas I got a $100 ticket for having an open container after hours (2003 I believe) I was supposed to appear in court to pay the fine instead i sent them a letter saying I couldnt make a court date due to my job. So they said pay this $100 fine which I did.

The Questions
I don't know if any of these charges are punishable by two years, I don't believe they are, and when I fill out the application do I need to be 100% accurate on dates? If so how can I find out this info? Thanks for any help you can give.

Yes, you need to report everything . . . they will find out anyway and you'll get denied for perjury if you don't (and they could prosecute you for perjury as well).

To find exact dates and DISPOSITIONS (most important part of info), you will need actual copies of the Court Docket Sheet. This is obtainable by ANYONE by merely going to the Clerk's window in the courthouse you were processed at and asking for the info. So, you can have a friend/relative do it if it's distant from you, etc. It's all public records, so no letters of authorization are needed.

Do this BEFORE you submit your application to any PD for your LTC.

I can't tell you what the penalty was in 1998, no idea. Also, you failed to tell us what state the first charges and arrest warrant were in.

Good luck.

Thanks LenS,
my original arrest/warrant were in mass, and i assume calling the clerks office or submitting something in writing will be acceptable to get that info from san antonio, texas... or atleast i assume, thanks for the helps I really appreciate it

Thanks LenS,
my original arrest/warrant were in mass, and i assume calling the clerks office or submitting something in writing will be acceptable to get that info from san antonio, texas... or atleast i assume, thanks for the helps I really appreciate it

Best of luck!

As for TX, they are probably more advanced than the arcane system in MA. Call and ask the Clerk's office if their records are online and searchable over the Internet (many states are) and how you can access them. You might be able to pull it up and print it out from your home. If not, then you can ask them to Mail it to you. They will charge you probably $1/page or less.

Thanks LenS,
I did everything in TX online last night, theyll be sending over the info FREE!! and boy you were right about Mass being arcane compared to texas, i had to call to get the info then they said i send to send a letter in writing.. I was like youre talking to me on the phone right now cant u just send me the info, lady denied me and said I had to submit a request in writing, but she was helpful and very nice. Well hopefully all this stuff comes in next week and I can start moving forward with this. I'm getting so anxious and nervous about being approved. My town is green (uxbridge) so I'm hoping for the best.

Good.

Don't be nervous, at least not yet. Get the papers from all sources in hand, then if you are concerned, book some time with Atty. Jesse Cohen (Framingham) on how to put your best foot forward in your application.

A green town is a big plus.

Thanks for the encouragement!
And a quick update, got my info from Texas already, they emailed it to me and they're sending me copies in the mail. I was surprised how fast it was. and regarding question 7
In any state or federal jurisdiction have you ever been convicted as an adult or adjudicated a youthful offender ordelinquent child for the commission of (a) a felony; (b) a misdemeanor punishable by imprisonment for more than 2years;

I assume the 1st part of the question when it says convicted that means you committed a misdemeanor that you got 2 years or over time for and if you didn't you can say, No... ???

Thanks for the encouragement!
And a quick update, got my info from Texas already, they emailed it to me and they're sending me copies in the mail. I was surprised how fast it was. and regarding question 7

I assume the 1st part of the question when it says convicted that means you committed a misdemeanor that you got 2 years or over time for and if you didn't you can say, No... ???

No that is NOT what it means.

It means "was the offense you were convicted of an offense that COULD HAVE A POTENTIAL PENALTY OF 2 YEARS OR MORE".

Major difference. Most people don't get sentenced anywhere near as long as the "potential sentence" allowed by law.

The question relates to POSSIBLE SENTENCE, not real sentence.

I know that patience is a virtue but I want to go to KTP this weekend! Called BPD on Friday and they said my license went in the mail that day. Anyone know how long it's taken their license to get to them from the time the licensing division has "mailed" it?

Thanks

I know that patience is a virtue but I want to go to KTP this weekend! Called BPD on Friday and they said my license went in the mail that day. Anyone know how long it's taken their license to get to them from the time the licensing division has "mailed" it?

Thanks
Well, assuming you live in Boston (not applying as a business owner living elsewhere) and that Boston PD mailed it from Boston (safe bet) it would be very surprising for it to take more than a day or two. I believe mine was postmarked the day before I got it.

Safe money is that you got bad information about it being mailed; it's already been three mail days.

It depends on how one interprets the declaration that it was mailed Friday. While normal people tend to interpret that as meaning that the USPS received it on Friday, for most businesses and bureaucracies, that means that it was put in the person's out-box on Friday. From that point it may easily take from 1 to 3 days simply to make it out of the building and into USPS' hands.

Ken

Just wanted to say thanks for the great info here. Just got my LTC-A in today. Took just under a month for me to get it after completing the Moon Island range test.

Yeah, got a sport and target only restriction, even though the 4 officers I talked to said that due to my LEO background I should be able to get ALP easily. Also thought the fact that 2 drunk off-duty cops from a nearby town committed A&B on me at work would help get ALP, but apparently one has to go through worse to get the coveted ALP LTC.

Moon island test was relatively easy. I'll definitely say that practicing before-hand helps A LOT. Got a 274/300. Officers on duty there that day were great; very helpful and seemed very pro-2nd amendment. Also let those who failed the test retry again. Just remember, safety is key there. And don't rush!

Yeah, got a sport and target only restriction, even though the 4 officers I talked to said that due to my LEO background I should be able to get ALP easily.

Boston issues restricted LTC's to active duty cops who're already covered by LEOSA. No surprise there.

Boston issues restricted LTC's to active duty cops who're already covered by LEOSA. No surprise there.

I was fine with getting a restricted LTC when I walked in. Outraged me though that the person typing up my application overheard my conversation with a sgt about getting ALP, then when he walked away said that she doesn't like guns so she's putting Sport and Target only.

You are amazingly level-headed Camel. You are/were LEO, and had the A&B incident? Did they know you prior to their night of binge drinking? The lady who made the comment about being anti, and processing your license to reflect that is IMO criminal. Not sure what else to call it but I'd be hard pressed to sit there like she didnt make the comment.

I dropped my paperwork off with BPD today. They wouldn't accept my cable and water bill so I had to go back home and get my electric and gas bills that are in my wife's name. Because of that I needed to bring a copy of our marriage certificate. Other than that hiccup and the lack of parking everything went well. They were very professional and things went quickly. They told me they are backed up for the Moon Island tests and couldn't book me until early March and said to expect my license in early April.

You are amazingly level-headed Camel. You are/were LEO, and had the A&B incident? Did they know you prior to their night of binge drinking? The lady who made the comment about being anti, and processing your license to reflect that is IMO criminal. Not sure what else to call it but I'd be hard pressed to sit there like she didnt make the comment.

Trust me, when she made that comment I nearly flipped out (but I don't think that would have gone over too well). Glad to know that 3 years of serving as a LEO (with additional experience with presidential security) doesn't pay off at all in Boston. Thanks for the compliment though. Hopefully upon renewing my LTC I may be able to get a lighter restriction.

I dropped my paperwork off with BPD today. They wouldn't accept my cable and water bill so I had to go back home and get my electric and gas bills that are in my wife's name. Because of that I needed to bring a copy of our marriage certificate. Other than that hiccup and the lack of parking everything went well. They were very professional and things went quickly. They told me they are backed up for the Moon Island tests and couldn't book me until early March and said to expect my license in early April.

Weird... they accepted my cable/phone bill as proof of residence no problem. And yes, parking is absolutely horrible there. Don't sweat about the Moon Island range test; if you can hit anywhere on a 25 yard slow NRA pistol target, you should do fine. Officer's at the range are usually pretty lax and helpful. Remember; safety is key!

They wouldn't accept my cable and water bill so I had to go back home and get my electric and gas bills that are in my wife's name. Because of that I needed to bring a copy of our marriage certificate.

Like anyone is going to try to go for an LTC in Boston with a borrowed address. [laugh]

Trust me, when she made that comment I nearly flipped out (but I don't think that would have gone over too well). Glad to know that 3 years of serving as a LEO (with additional experience with presidential security) doesn't pay off at all in Boston. Thanks for the compliment though. Hopefully upon renewing my LTC I may be able to get a lighter restriction.

Fat chance, unless you fit into their box, or are politically very well connected, you will not get a lesser restriction. Towns like Boston and Watertown don't care if you are working the Pope's bodyguard detail, it doesn't mean s**t to them. Those cities will even s**t on active LEOs that aren't from their departments.

One thing that -might- work is if you had someone important from your agency that was willing to go to bat for you... if that individual raised a stink.... might not hurt anything. With red douchebag towns you have to apply as much heat and pressure against them as possible.

-Mike

Last edited:
Recently took my shooting test out at Moon Island. The ranger officers were very friendly and even offered up some pointers prior to the actual test. Obviously safety was their major concern. The course was very reasonable and the firearms they provided were in good condition. Getting to the range was pretty simple...parking wasn't ideal but there was plenty of room to park on the left side of the road just before the entrance to the range. Now I just need to play the waiting game...the RO said 6 weeks.

If anyone has questions (the course, how to get there, the process, etc) I'd be happy to help.

Back
Top Bottom