Detailed steps on how to apply for a license in Boston

Nothing has changed they are using the same revolvers I qualified with 29 years ago.I have to go threw that bullshit next year.The only good thing is the cops at the range are good people.

Went today for my test and it got posponed due to high winds - it was gusting 40 mph. At least they were nice and said to come back any weekday in the next 2 weeks.
What a long process...

Finally got to take the test. It was no sweat and the ROs were very helpful. They let us shoot 2 handed for the 7 yard double action part of the test.
I have a bunch of the targets Boston uses if anyone practicing for the test wants a few. PM me if interested.

Finally got to take the test. It was no sweat and the ROs were very helpful. They let us shoot 2 handed for the 7 yard double action part of the test.
I have a bunch of the targets Boston uses if anyone practicing for the test wants a few. PM me if interested.

Congrats Cuth!...now the difficult part. Waiting! I was told mine should be in the mail this week or next.

Applied at the end of January. Went to moon island early in February...assuming it comes in this week it will be right around 8 weeks.

Ahh, OK. After seeing talk about people in areas right outside of Boston getting their license in about 5 weeks I was hoping that was the new trend.

I applied the 2nd week in Feb and took the test 3 weeks later. I was told at the time that the license would come 8 weeks after the application date (not the test date). The wait is killing me! :)

I'm curious, has anyone here successfully appealed a "target/sport no concealed carry" restriction in Boston?

There's really no procedure for appealing a restriction, only a denial. Boston will reevaluate licensees as circumstances change and will lift restrictions if warranted. They tend to be more consistent than most "red" towns - you either fit their criteria or you do not.

What they don't want to do (and won't do) is open up those parameters such that large numbers of people now qualify for unrestricted licenses. If you don't fit the established guidelines your only option is to be creative and make a very good case that is unique to you.

I'm curious, has anyone here successfully appealed a "target/sport no concealed carry" restriction in Boston?

After getting assaulted by the off-duty cop I had my boss make a few calls to people he knows in BPD. Talking to one of the licensing agents, I was told that when I apply for a renewal of my license I should bring up the assault case, and it would be reviewed by the commissioner to see if an unrestricted LTC will issued. Hopefully I'll be out of Boston WAAAYYYYY before my LTC expires.

I scanned the Moon Island test requirements in case anyone was interested in the actual piece of paper you're given. Asked the gentleman who was processing my paperwork about eyes and ears. They have it at the range, but he said it probably wouldn't hurt bringing (and it is allowed) your own, considering the number of people who have probably used it. The days available for the test are Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday (if I recall correctly) and the times are 4 PM, 4 PM, 7 AM and 4 PM, respectively (again if I recall correctly). Also the earliest time slot is a month away (boo..)

When I was asked what I was going to use the LTC for, he had pretty much force fed me "going to the range - club and that's it" kind of speech. I had asked about carry and he pretty much shook his head no, without much opportunity to explain my reasoning. I was expecting that kind of response, but disappointed I couldn't explain to him that next door to my parent's place, where I grew up (quiet low crime suburb of Connecticut), my best friend was a victim of a home invasion recently, and that your sense of security diminishes once that happens and I'd rather be proactive than reactive before it happens to me. Now it's just more of a reason to move out of the city.

Some other take aways: The woman at the window accepted my Comcast bill (all I needed) for proof of address and you still need your birth certificate, your driver's license and basic safety course. She did not want my proof of membership to a gun club though. The Boston application is nearly identical to the state application. It doesn't ask you for references. The officer who processes your paperwork ends up punching all the information into the state form on the computer anyways...

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Last edited:
Thanks for that form. I see they flunked math . . . "A minimum of 210 points (80% of 300 points) . . ." [laugh]

I should have read the rest of the thread! Hopefully the RO's will be nice enough to let everyone shoot two-handed DA. Although I can do one-handed DA just fine. I'll post my experience after I do the range test (First week of May :( )

I should have read the rest of the thread! Hopefully the RO's will be nice enough to let everyone shoot two-handed DA. Although I can do one-handed DA just fine. I'll post my experience after I do the range test (First week of May :()

They didn't let us shoot two-handed DA about a month ago. Said we looked like a good bunch of shooters. Turned out they were right. ;-)

The test was far easier than I imagined. The range officers were fun guys.

They didn't let us shoot two-handed DA about a month ago. Said we looked like a good bunch of shooters. Turned out they were right. ;-)

The test was far easier than I imagined. The range officers were fun guys.

Good to know! I'm going to have to put a calendar up in my room and mark off the days until the test! I'm excited to do it. Anyone here part of Braintree Rifle & Pistol?

Good to know! I'm going to have to put a calendar up in my room and mark off the days until the test! I'm excited to do it. Anyone here part of Braintree Rifle & Pistol?

I'm not a Boston [STRIKE]resident[/STRIKE] subject, but I teach a lot of people how to pass the Moon Island test and I do that at Braintree R&P. If you have questions about the club, I suggest you post it in the club thread and I'll try to help you.

Good luck on the test.

I'm not a Boston [STRIKE]resident[/STRIKE] subject, but I teach a lot of people how to pass the Moon Island test and I do that at Braintree R&P. If you have questions about the club, I suggest you post it in the club thread and I'll try to help you.

Good luck on the test.

Thanks. I'm already a provisional member (pending the LTC) and was turned on to it by George Pantz. Took my course w/ Justin M. Ok. I think I've strayed off topic for long enough! [wave]

Went to pick up the LTC application at the BPD headquarters. It would have been quicker to take the bus/T/train to Ruggles and walk the 2 blocks. The parking situation has gotten worse, if that is possible. Cars parked on the sidewalk all over the place. The lot across the street is now smaller, as they have a section blocked off for construction, and there are now signs which say parking by permit only – we will tow you. I don’t remember signs saying you would get towed before. Maybe just my aging memory.

So I parked in an actual parking space, not on the side walk, grass, or at the end of an isle. Walked quickly didn’t get towed.

The guy at the information desk wanted to know if I was a Boston police officer when I asked for the application. Seems like a strange question. If I was on the police force I assume I wouldn’t have to go ask for an application for a LTC from the information desk. Go wonder.

I got three pieces of paper, none of which tell me I need to bring (a copy of) my birth certificate, drivers license, or proof of living in Boston.
For LTC class A it lists conditional with employment, and target shooting. For the first you need a letter from your employer stating you need a gun to have the job, and can only carry at work or going to and from. For the second you need to belong to a gun club, and can only carry going to or from the club.

I got three pieces of paper, none of which tell me I need to bring (a copy of) my birth certificate, drivers license, or proof of living in Boston.
For LTC class A it lists conditional with employment, and target shooting. For the first you need a letter from your employer stating you need a gun to have the job, and can only carry at work or going to and from. For the second you need to belong to a gun club, and can only carry going to or from the club.

If this is so, then it has changed relatively recently (again). I applied late last summer, and the gun club requirement was gone. My LTC-A also explicitly says "NO CONCEAL CARRY" under "Restrictions"—specifically to prevent carry to and from the club.

Having just gone through the process this sounds incorrect. You don't need to belong to a gun club or at least you didn't need to a few weeks ago. You're right about the parking though. It totally sucks.

Went to pick up the LTC application at the BPD headquarters. It would have been quicker to take the bus/T/train to Ruggles and walk the 2 blocks. The parking situation has gotten worse, if that is possible. Cars parked on the sidewalk all over the place. The lot across the street is now smaller, as they have a section blocked off for construction, and there are now signs which say parking by permit only – we will tow you. I don’t remember signs saying you would get towed before. Maybe just my aging memory.

So I parked in an actual parking space, not on the side walk, grass, or at the end of an isle. Walked quickly didn’t get towed.

The guy at the information desk wanted to know if I was a Boston police officer when I asked for the application. Seems like a strange question. If I was on the police force I assume I wouldn’t have to go ask for an application for a LTC from the information desk. Go wonder.

Having just gone through the process this sounds incorrect. You don't need to belong to a gun club or at least you didn't need to a few weeks ago. You're right about the parking though. It totally sucks.

The form I filled out some 10 weeks ago did list that requirement. Old forms, I guess.

Here is a link to the form from BPD News website:
http://www.bpdnews.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/LICENSE.pdf

Note the two restrictions:
RESTRICTIONS
Conditional with employment: The applicant must submit a written request from the employer requesting the issuance of a license. This license is valid while traveling to and from work and for work related activities. The license must be surrendered to the Licensing Unit when employment is terminated.

Sport /Target Shooting: This license is restricted to such target shooting and traveling to and from the gun club. No concealed carry is allowed under this restriction.

That seams pretty clear to me: no carry, which implies carry in locked case, etc like Class B

Back
Top Bottom