Detailed steps on how to apply for a license in Boston

salami,

You mis-understood the way Boston and MA works . . .

Boston will NOT deny you a LTC-A, assuming you meet the legal requirements, pass the Moon Island shooting test, take the MA gun course mandated by MGL, etc.

Boston only issues Restricted LTC-A permits to mere mortals. You need a damn good reason (in their eyes) to get an unrestricted (the only type that allows you to actually carry a gun) LTC-A out of Boston.

MGL allows chiefs full "discretion" on issuing permits and assigning any restrictions they like on said permits.

Thus, there is no cause for legal action at this point . . . all Boston's lawyers would have to do is point to the statute and the judge would say "case dismissed"!

Boston LTC News Update I called BPD today and asked to have LTC renewal forms mailed to me. The young lady answering the BPD Headquarters Service Desk line (617-343-4633) told me that BPD will no longer allow "Walk-In" applicants. One must call 617-343-4425 and make an appointment.
Best Regards.

Boston Police Department as effective as the rest of MA government. Officer in charge of licensing department constantly absent. He should work till 3:30PM,but around 3, he takes last visitor. I called today after 11 weeks of waiting and hear an answer" state didn't sent us licenses for 3 weeks". Nobody gives a damn thing,that people are waiting. Thank you BPD for screwing me.

Last edited:
Thus, there is no cause for legal action at this point . . . all Boston's lawyers would have to do is point to the statute and the judge would say "case dismissed"!
It's not that simple, but that is generally the result.

I read the decision from a Boston restriction appeal brought by a well established attorney familiar with firearms law. The court listened respectfully, asked questions, and also heard the city's position and then announced it would be "taken under advisement and a decision issued". The decision was a lot more involved than simply responding "case dismissed" (it ran at least 10 pages), but basically consisted of judicial deference to the city's legitimate interest in protection of the public balanced against the desire of an ordinary citizen - and we all know where that leads.

It amounts to the same thing, but, in rare cases, someone with a very strong reason might be able to win an appeal of a restriction - but, in general, if someone had such a strong reason the appeal would not be necessary. The key is "arbitrary, capricious and an abuse of discretion" - and an ordinary person is probably not going to prove that by simply writing a better essay on the application, or asserting a general fear of crime that is no different from that other members of the public are at risk for.

And, unfortunately, "state didn't sent us licenses for 3 weeks" is probably true, as I have heard the same story from very green towns that do not have a track record of obstructionist behavior in regards to firearms licensing.

Would my CCW from California (my previous home state) be of any help at all in getting my LTC-A issued with no restrictions?

It can depend on where you had your CCW in CA. If it was from LA County, it means you are someone with considerable juice - probably so much that you would be working your application back channel rather than asking this forum. If its from one of the counties that issues to "ordinary people", it should be listed, but won't make a big difference in Boston. It would be more likely to make a difference in towns that restrict LTCs issued to "first time applicants" (as some may accept alternate experience of carrying a gun without becoming a criminal).

A friend is getting his LTC soon and there no longer is the residence proof requirement. A driver license with a boston address is all you need along with birth certificate, safety course, and 100$

Tapatalkin

A friend is getting his LTC soon and there no longer is the residence proof requirement. A driver license with a boston address is all you need along with birth certificate, safety course, and 100$

Tapatalkin

I was told this as well, both when I went in to pick up the paperwork in person and when I called a week later to make an appointment for an interview.

For FID, is references required ?

A Boston teen asked me:

For an FID, does she really have to list references ?
If yes, can it be family members ?

What REASON is used FOR REQUESTING an FID ?
Boston after all is "unique"

And for payment, what do they accept ?
American dollar ? Yen ? Pesos ? Check ? Money Order ?

A Boston teen asked me:

For an FID, does she really have to list references ?
If yes, can it be family members ?

What REASON is used FOR REQUESTING an FID ?
Boston after all is "unique"

And for payment, what do they accept ?
American dollar ? Yen ? Pesos ? Check ? Money Order ?

Cash only. American dollars.

Tapatalkin

I'm surprised they dropped the proof of residency requirement. You can be a Boston resident and have a non-Boston address on your license, or vice versa. Those RMV stickers they send you for a change of address aren't exactly durable in your wallet either.

Since I applied, they've dropped this and the range membership requirement. What's next? [grin]

Last edited:
I'm surprised they dropped the proof of residency requirement. You can be a Boston resident and have a non-Boston address on your license, or vice versa. Those RMV stickers they send you for a change of address aren't exactly durable in your wallet either.

It's trivial for the PD to check what your actual address on file with the RMV is, so the sticker isn't really an issue unless they choose to make it one.

A Driver's License with a Boston Address on it is the proof of residency, but if you don't have that you have to provide something else like a rental agreement or something. I just called the BPD HQ not 10minutes ago and this is what they told me. Their also about a month wait on the licensing appointments.

Application
$100 cash fee
Birth Cert.
Proof of Residency

A Driver's License with a Boston Address on it is the proof of residency, but if you don't have that you have to provide something else like a rental agreement or something. I just called the BPD HQ not 10minutes ago and this is what they told me. Their also about a month wait on the licensing appointments.

Application
$100 cash fee
Birth Cert.
Proof of Residency
Don't forget Mass BFS Certificate.

How's this for consistency? I just got off the phone with the LO of Boston (617-343-4425).

I called asking what the process was in regards to picking up an application. The officer replied you don't pick up an application, but rather schedule an appointment/interview (the earliest one that I picked was in April). He also told me to bring the following items:

1. Birth Certificate
2. Mass-Certified Gun Safety Certificate
3. Drivers License
4. $100

How's this for consistency? I just got off the phone with the LO of Boston (617-343-4425).

I called asking what the process was in regards to picking up an application. The officer replied you don't pick up an application, but rather schedule an appointment/interview (the earliest one that I picked was in April). He also told me to bring the following items:

1. Birth Certificate
2. Mass-Certified Gun Safety Certificate
3. Drivers License
4. $100

They don't take the state application,
they make you fill out the GREEN FORM still.

and your DL or State ID satisfies RESIDENCY requirement, no need for bills etc.
wait for LTC and FID are 8 weeks now.

They don't take the state application,
they make you fill out the GREEN FORM still.

and your DL or State ID satisfies RESIDENCY requirement, no need for bills etc.
wait for LTC and FID are 8 weeks now.

Unfortunately for me, 8 weeks starts AFTER my appointment, which is a little more than 5 weeks away. :(

Unfortunately for me, 8 weeks starts AFTER my appointment, which is a little more than 5 weeks away. :(

5 weeks appointment and you just called ? you got lucky.

Some people called last week and got appointment for 8 weeks away, was told thats the soonest available date .

No, you fill out the state application, PLUS a BPD specific form.
I took someone last week, and she told him "we don't need that form" (The State appl.) gave the form to me, she just took him and the green form, fingerprint, then she filled the form on the computer, print 2 copies, gave him a copy, make him sign and she took the signed copy.
I still have the states form my friend filled out with me.

I took someone last week, and she told him "we don't need that form" (The State appl.) gave the form to me, she just took him and the green form, fingerprint, then she filled the form on the computer, print 2 copies, gave him a copy, make him sign and she took the signed copy.
I still have the states form my friend filled out with me.
Interesting, that's not been my experience. The extra form BPD has doesn't have all the information necessary for MIRCS. That said, they usually staple their form on top of the state form.

Handed in LTC application and interviewed with Boston PD 2/14. Went to Moon Island yesterday, 3/9. Guessing I have a few more weeks of waiting, based on turnaround times that people have talked about here.

Got to do some shooting at BGRA tonight with a couple of friends, who were nice enough to let me tryout their guns, but I'm definitely looking forward to owning my own.

I applied today.

Wish I had known all you need is:
1. Birth Cert.
2. Driver's License
3. Gun Safety Cert.
4. $100

I would have applied months ago without waiting/paying for stupid gun club membership I don;t want to join.

Moon Island test on May 4 (earliest opening)

Time to issue is 8-10 weeks but "they're running behind".

Sigh.

I have read about 20 pages of this thread and I still have one question. I understand that it is mandatory to be a member of a gun club, but does that club have to be in MA. I currently shoot a lot a Pelham in NH and am going to join there despite the drive.

I have read about 20 pages of this thread and I still have one question. I understand that it is mandatory to be a member of a gun club, but does that club have to be in MA. I currently shoot a lot a Pelham in NH and am going to join there despite the drive.

Boston recently dropped the requirement to be a member of a gun club.

Back
Top Bottom