Detailed steps on how to apply for a license in Boston

Some other towns still require it however.

Which ones? I'm not aware of any. I'm not saying you are wrong, just that I don't know of any and am curious about it. Over the years I have written membership letters for Boston residents, but never for any other towns.

On a different question, does anyone know exactly which target is used on the Moon Island test? It is my impression that they use a replacement center target, but I don't know which one.

It took exactly 103 days from the day I applied in Boston to receiving the LTC in the mail.
The wait time from the initial appointment to the Moon Island test was 34 days.

The Boston Licensing Officer saying, "we are running behind," is not an exageration.
Best regards.

I'm handing in my application on Thursday so I suspect I then won't get a Moon Island Test date until mid-May. Since when did they change the rule that handing in the LTC App. was by Appointment only. I only found this out when I called a few weeks ago before I was going to pop in to do it. I would have called months ago about an appt. if I knew this.

People who have received their LTC recently...Any restrictions..? Boston giving out LTC- Class A with sport and target restrictions?

Just got back from my Application Drop-Off.
Earliest MoonBay Test is Mid June.

Not much of an interview; just fingerprinting and asked if I was a first time applicant. On my application the box for Sport and Targeting was already selected so I am expecting an restricted LTC-A. They wont give you a chance to be Unrestricted unless you are a business owner or cash-carry guy; if that were the case, they would surely ask more questions.

Estimated wait time as described by the LO: 3 months.

I just got back from the moon island test. Paper work officer said that if we haven't heard in 6 weeks about our licenses we should call the BPD.
I was a little disappointed to hear about such a long time especially since I had to wait 1.5 months to do the test.

BTW I got a 292/300.
I have to brag.

Took my Moon Island Shooting test yesterday. Passed with a 265. Good enough with the rainy, cold, windy weather conditions.
During the first part of the test, they allow you to do two hand hold now rather than just one hand. Wait is about 4-6 weeks for license. This whole process is just a waiting game literally.

I figured now that I've received my license I should post about my experience with the process.

2/15 (or sometime around then): Called to setup an appointment for an interview.
3/15: Had interview in which I was fingerprinted, etc. Scheduled Moon Island test. Was told to call by the end of May if I haven't received my license.
4/25: Passed Moon Island Test with a 291/300.
6/1: Called regarding license and was told that it had been approved and that BPD was waiting to receive it from the state at which point they would activate it and send it out to me. I should get it in about a week (yeah, right).
6/16: Received license! Woohoo!

The End

I figured now that I've received my license I should post about my experience with the process.

2/15 (or sometime around then): Called to setup an appointment for an interview.
3/15: Had interview in which I was fingerprinted, etc. Scheduled Moon Island test. Was told to call by the end of May if I haven't received my license.
4/25: Passed Moon Island Test with a 291/300.
6/1: Called regarding license and was told that it had been approved and that BPD was waiting to receive it from the state at which point they would activate it and send it out to me. I should get it in about a week (yeah, right).
6/16: Received license! Woohoo!

The End
Wow, 4 months start to end. They were much better than this, the new guy running the licensing unit is really slipping.

March 5: Called to set up Interview
April 10: Interview/Application Submission
Mid June: Moon Bay Test
July 2: Called BPD, Said License was Approved and Awaiting to Receive and Activate

Finally got my License and my first firearm (Sig Sauer SP2022)!

Here's my timeline..

March 5: Called to set up Interview
April 10: Interview/Application Submission
Mid June: Moon Bay Test
July 2: Called BPD, Said License was Approved and Awaiting to Receive and Activate
July 6: License Activated, and I picked it up from the BPD HQ. They were going to mail it to me, but I told them I'd rather pick it up because I was moving soon. Saved several days that way.

Boston Timeline:

3/31 - completed LTC-002 course
4/17 - appt to submit application to BPD
6/25 - Moon Island test
7/13 - LTC received

BPD licensing staff were polite and professional, no attitudes.
Moon Island staff same. Emphasis on safety.

Recommend some practice with large frame 38 spec. One person did not, fliers all over the paper, she barely passed with a 212.

Moon Island received some new Security Sixes. They have the notched blade rear site, not the grooved upper strap, practice accordingly.

Will be heading over to fsguns tomorrow about 5AM or so

Restrictions?

Other than some finely defined exceptions, I'd be shocked if Boston were to give out unrestricted permits! Mumbles pulls the strings and whoever is Police Commissioner serves at Mumbles will and pleasure, thus jumps to his/her master's commands. The co-founder of Mayors Against Guns is not about to arm his civilian population and let them defend themselves against the dirtbags that the court system puts back on the street almost as fast as they appear in a courtroom!

I just got back from the Moon Island test. They have changed the test up slightly since the OP. the seven yard firing line is now two handed single action rather then one and the 15 is two hands double. The fist gun they gave me was a POS. First few shots were fine although the trigger is heavy. The forth shot I pull the trigger and half way the hammer stops and I can't pull the trigger back anymore. I try again thinking maybe I didn't apply enough pressure and the same thing. I raise my hand, the range officer comes over, I explain the problem. He tells me to try and cock the hammer and it stops half way. He brings me a new pistol. The second gun wasnt as comfortable to shot as the first one for me. The grip was smaller and it had a low profile rear sight which I didn't like at all but the gun worked. I still passed the test with a 252/300 which I'm not too proud of but screw it I passed. The guys running the range where real friendly and whole experience was pretty enjoyable. I was told to be their at 7:15, I was 10 min early and was on my way back home by 8. The test was not hard at all. I've shot 38 revolvers many times in my life but I haven't shot in almost a year. If you have any level of experience with a revolver you should be good. All 6 of the people I shot with passed and I think some of them where very green.

I just got back from the Moon Island test. They have changed the test up slightly since the OP. the seven yard firing line is now two handed single action rather then one and the 15 is two hands double.

Was it really single action (manually cocking the hammer) at 7 yards and double action at 15 yards? Or was it the reverse, double action at 7 yards and single action at 15 yards?

My mistake M1911. It was 7yrd. Two hands, dub action. 15yrd. Two hands, single action. Thanks for catching that. Long day...7am is pretty early for a bartender [sad2]

Boston has a new licensing officer, Lt. Det. John McDonough. He is open-minded with regard to restrictions. He carefully considers each applicant. Most licenses he issues are restricted. In many cases the licenses are restricted because the applicant did not submit a comprehensive application complete with letters, statements, and documents, all of which are not required but help build your "case".
I agree completely and in fact the previous head of the licensing unit was the same way. Boston's default is to issue with restriction, but they give out FAR more unrestricted licenses than most people think. My unrestricted license was far easier to get here than in most other towns within 128. I know lots of people with unrestricted licenses in Boston. I was actually surprised to see a couple people that I've helped actually come back with unrestricted licenses.

The people with unrestricted licenses that you know were issued by the previous officer, or McDonough? My experience with him so far shows him to be open-minded and fair. But he definitely isn't giving them away easy.

Harrington would give it without hassle if you fit the profile.

The people with unrestricted licenses that you know were issued by the previous officer, or McDonough? My experience with him so far shows him to be open-minded and fair. But he definitely isn't giving them away easy.
All or most under McDonough's predecessor. I don't believe the policy or practice have changed much if at all. In fact I don't think the policy has change very much over many years. What changes commander to commander his how well or poorly the unit is run. Some are better managers than others. Harrington was a good, no nonsense manager. We had issues with one of the officers under McDonough was was deliberately giving the run around to alien applicants.

Harrington would give it without hassle if you fit the profile.
Correct

What was the profile?
There isn't an official published profile. It seems to include attorneys, doctors, business owners, some firearms instructors. As Rob Boudrie pointed out, they're probably willing to entertain any reason that does not open up the doors to large numbers of otherwise 'regular' citizens being able to justify an unrestricted license.

My daughter-in-law has a restricted in Boston for 2 years now,
if she moves to a green town, will Boston release/cancel her license if she ask them ?
So that she can get a new Un-restricted license in her new town.

My daughter-in-law has a restricted in Boston for 2 years now,
if she moves to a green town, will Boston release/cancel her license if she ask them ?
So that she can get a new Un-restricted license in her new town.

Only way to know is to ask. I recommend asking new town first then old city, because if either one balks the game is over until expiration.

Back
Top Bottom