Detailed steps on how to apply for a license in Boston

My daughter-in-law has a restricted in Boston for 2 years now,
if she moves to a green town, will Boston release/cancel her license if she ask them ?
So that she can get a new Un-restricted license in her new town.

I've met with some resistance on this issue. I'm sure under certain circumstances Boston will expire the license, but the inclination is not to. I would suggest putting something in writing. The Lt. has an open mind. But the letter must be persuasive.

This is an interesting issue. In what other circumstance would a government authority require you to maintain a license you no longer wanted or needed? One thing that has not (to the best of my knowledge) been tried is appeal directly to the FRB for the expiration of an LTC.

As to possible remedies: "Your honor, I no longer wish to have or maintain this license and the defendant (in whose jurisdiction I no longer reside or am subject to) refuses to cancel or expire it".

I found this page helpful when I went through the process for my license so I figured I would post my recent experience for others. I know some of this will be a repeat.

In mid October 2012, I took the basic firearms course. Shortly there after I called the licensing office to set up my interview. They were 8+ weeks behind and the earliest they had available was December 31. I went in to BPD HQ early and filled the application. Yes the City of Boston has there own forms, not the states forms. The only forms you need to bring are you BFS completion cert, birth cert, drivers license, and $100 cash only. I was asked when was best for me to take the Moon island test and gave me a list of dates available. I chose the soonest which was January 2 and was given a range pass. After that I was fingerprinted and brought out back where they basically just ask you all your personal info over again and photograph you. I wasn't asked why I wanted firearm or any of that. Sport and target was filled in already. Although no longer required, I brought in some letters of recommendation and a letter about why I wanted an LTC, etc. What I had brought in wasn't even look over and was said it would be passed on. The licensing officer said it would be about 10 - 12 weeks before I received my license in the mail.

On the morning of the range test I tried to get there early but drove by the place and got stuck in traffic after I realized it and turned around (its also a bus route and they only let one bus at a time drive over the bridge so you have to sit and wait). I ended up being a few minutes late but they didn't care or say anything about it. We even waited about another ten minutes for someone else to show up but never did. There was one of other tester and myself. About half a dozen officers were inside and they were all nice people. They were asking about what I did for work and about restaurants in my neighborhood. One officer told me at the end of the test that he asked what I had done for work because I hadnt realized I went in there with my knife clipped onto my pocket. We pick up our buckets that have or Ruger revolvers, ammo, ears, eyes and head out to the range. It was 7 am, 15 degrees, and the sun was barely up. Gloves are not allowed while shooting. Targets are larger than I expected. We shot 30 rounds total. We shot 12 rounds double action two handed from 7 yards, then backed up to 21 yards and had the option to shoot DA or SA, one hand or two. They recommended a nice firm two hand grip and single action. So thats what I went with. It seemed like the instructors wanted everyone to pass, as there were helping out and giving tips to us as we were shooting. Each round is worth 10 pts and you must get at least 210 of 300 to pass. It was my first time shooting since taking the BFS back in October. Happy to say I scored extremely well and all the officers personally complemented my shooting, the sergeant even come out of his office to commend me. It was nice considering some stories Ive heard here about them being rude. They told me it would take 8 - 10 weeks for my license.

So now its been about 2 months and I am still waiting on my license.

Hope this helps at all. Any questions just ask.

The probable reason for the knife/work question might have been because Boston has a knife bylaw restriction. However, I understand that Moon Island is actually in Quincy and therefore Boston bylaws would have no legal standing anyway.

I've never heard even a single bad word about the Boston Officers that work the range. Everything I've heard has been positive and trying to be helpful within the parameters that they have to operate. As an Instructor, I've probably taught 30-40 people how to take that test over the past few years. Congrats and good luck.

I'd like to echo the sentiments above. This is a great read and came in very handy in my application process, I referred to it quite a few times during the process. My dates and times basically mirrored "therealkdc" who posted above. I jut picked up my LTC-A unrestricted from headquarters a few hours ago. I implore anyone applying in Boston to take some time and read the entries in this thread.

I have had my LTC in Boston since 1982,and like LenS has stated the officers at Moon Island are good people.I would like to say what the licencing Dept was like threw the years, but I still live in Boston. I will say one thing the person who is running it now is doing a very good job,and the officers I dealt with were very nice.

It kind of makes me sick that since I'm an engineer and not a doctor or lawyer I can't exercise the right to protect myself outside of my home. And the people that made that decision are surrounded by armed guards whose purpose is to protect said people. And the person who decides whether or not restrictions are placed on my ltc undoubtedly has a firearm within arms length 24/7.

My letter explained that someone got shot and killed on my street the previous month. Nope, still restricted.

Congrats Courtier, my brother in law got a LTC-A unrestricted in Boston recently as well, he is a plumber. Maybe things are loosening up a bit?

Just submitted my application this morning. It was a pretty painless process. Handed in all my paperwork, took my prints/picture, asked a few questions and that was it. The women I dealt with told me they were seeing about 15 applications a day and that I should expect my license to be ready in 12 weeks. Considering I scheduled my appointment two months ago, that's about a 6 month process. I just want to buy a gun. Correction: Many guns.

Just submitted my application this morning. It was a pretty painless process. Handed in all my paperwork, took my prints/picture, asked a few questions and that was it. The women I dealt with told me they were seeing about 15 applications a day and that I should expect my license to be ready in 12 weeks. Considering I scheduled my appointment two months ago, that's about a 6 month process. I just want to buy a gun. Correction: Many guns.

When is your Moon Island Test? I wonder how long it takes the results of that test to be sent in to complete your application

When is your Moon Island Test? I wonder how long it takes the results of that test to be sent in to complete your application

Moon Island test is Tuesday, the 19th. The woman I spoke to said that Moon Island faxes the results to the PD. Hopefully they send them immediately, but who knows.

Moon Island test is Tuesday, the 19th. The woman I spoke to said that Moon Island faxes the results to the PD. Hopefully they send them immediately, but who knows.

The Moon Island guys are great. I watched him fax over my results moments after passing.

The Moon Island guys are great. I watched him fax over my results moments after passing.

That's good to know. I'm praying that the women who helped me is wrong and I get my license way earlier than 12 weeks, but that's a long shot.

Maybe they'll drop the pile of applications and mine will miraculously make it to the top. [smile]

Any advice on who to put down as a reference on the application? Does it matter? Do they tend to contact them?
I've just taken some initial courses at MFS, so gearing up for the application. I live in the North End.

Any advice on who to put down as a reference on the application? Does it matter? Do they tend to contact them?
I've just taken some initial courses at MFS, so gearing up for the application. I live in the North End.

Boston doesn't require any references.

Don't bother. I went above and beyond the application - I had two references (on business letterhead,) a range membership, and a letter to the chief explaining that someone got gunned down on my streets the previous month and I wanted an unrestricted license. In the end, I got the same thing as everyone else - target/hunting.

I submitted my renewal application this week. Pretty painless overall - in and out in 30 minutes. I just needed my driver's license and current LTC. The officer was super cool and helpful, and no problem with restrictions. Once you're on the unrestricted list you stay there.

Range test next week and then a 9-10 week wait. My LTC actually expires next week, it took over 8 weeks to get an appoint, so I'll be using that grace period. It's not like I give a crap, I'm not going to jail for an expired LTC!

The irony is that for all Menino's MAIG bluster it is far easier to get an LTC in Boston than it was when he became mayor.

I just called for an appointment, first time application, today is 29th March, first appointment they had is July 2nd. This is going to be a long process!

Anyone recently receive their license in Boston? If so, when did you apply?
I submitted my paperwork in mid December of 2012. Range date was early January. Got the license in the mail by the end of February.

That's good to know. I'm praying that the women who helped me is wrong and I get my license way earlier than 12 weeks, but that's a long shot.

Maybe they'll drop the pile of applications and mine will miraculously make it to the top. [smile]

Well, I'm on week 15 now and still haven't received my license. FRB said it was approved and printed on 6/11 so I'm hoping sometime this week. Plus, I have some money to spend. [mg]

So got the the appointment on the 2nd July, and just passed Moon Island test. They said a 10-12 week wait following the pass, so this is a 7 month process from making the original appointment. Trying to dissuade people??

Back
Top Bottom