Detailed steps on how to apply for a license in Boston

Just a quick post for others on my recent experience with applying for a LTC in Boston.

My wife and I took our MA Pistol License test in early August. I called the BPD the next day and their next appointment was about a month out on Sept 17.

For that appointment, we took our course certificates, copies of our birth certificates, drivers' licenses and $100 each in cash for the fee. They provided a form for us to fill out there. We were finger-printed and then led into a back office and asked a series of questions about our backgrounds and had our pictures taken.

Just a note for any other ladies out there looking to get an LTC -- when they originally asked me if I'd gone by any other aliases, I said no. But then realized that they might want to know about a last name I had under another marriage. I was glad I asked, because the woman taking the information looked at me like I was nuts that I hadn't considered that an alias. She also seemed to think it was nuts that I'd lived in five different states in my life, but maybe she's just never left Massachusetts.

After the application process, they scheduled the Moon Island test. We could have gotten an appointment that week, but I was traveling so we took the next appointment which was Sept 27.

I was a little nervous about the range test itself. I grew up shooting guns and started hunting with my father when I was in kindergarten. I was shooting rabbits and squirrels and skinning them myself in grade school and got a 12 gauge shotgun for my 12th birthday. But the only handgun experience I've ever had is when I visit my dad in Nashville and go the range or shooting out in the woods with him.

As a woman (and office worker!) I also don't have the upper body strength I think it really takes to handle one of those .38 calibers that they use for the Moon Island test.

The range officers working the test though absolutely couldn't have been better. They made us feel welcomed, relaxed and absolutely seemed intent on helping everyone pass while ensuring that we were following gun safety guidelines. They didn't bat an eye at a same-sex couple coming in and gave my wife some good-natured ribbing for her very southern Virginia accent.

All in all, it was a great experience. I scored an ok-not-great 234 and my wife who hasn't shot a handgun in years got a 239. It takes a 210 to pass, so I was happy to have gotten through it.

That all said, I'd highly recommend that any woman or even another same-sex couple go through the process without being nervous about it or scared about how you'll be treated. It's absolutely crazy that Boston makes you go through all of these hoops, but it's definitely your right and you should exercise it.

Just a note for any other ladies out there looking to get an LTC -- when they originally asked me if I'd gone by any other aliases, I said no. But then realized that they might want to know about a last name I had under another marriage. I was glad I asked, because the woman taking the information looked at me like I was nuts that I hadn't considered that an alias. She also seemed to think it was nuts that I'd lived in five different states in my life, but maybe she's just never left Massachusetts.

I ALWAYS caution people to fill out the state form (available online) and bring it with them. "Thinking on your feet" under stress is an easy way to make a mistake when you are signing "under pains and penalties of perjury" and a mistake on an application is statutorily valid reason for denial of your LTC!

Filling it out at home allows you time to think and verify that you didn't miss anything, research items that you need to include, etc.

Yes, it seems that most people who were born and raised in Boston fail to get a Passport needed to visit or live in other states! I think they call that "in breeding"! [laugh] [Also a comment my Wife (born/lived in Boston until we were married) made about my fellow alumni from Randolph High School, where most of my classmates intermarried with other Randolphians.]

Shooting a revolver that is strange to you in order to qualify to get a LTC is patently unfair IMNSHO and depending on the grips on said gun plus trigger pull may be very difficult for many. But that is what Boston does for every applicant (new and renewal) and they even won a court case some 20-30 years ago on this issue. Even though we were unable to connect up prior to your test, I'm glad that both of you were able to pass it.

Welcome to NES and I hope both of you actively participate here.

Has anyone gotten their restrictions removed in Boston without becoming a doctor or being the victim of a crime etc? Also, has anyone ever gotten confirmation from the Chief (or chief licensing officer) whether or not CCW to and from the range is allowed with restrictions?

Has anyone gotten their restrictions removed in Boston without becoming a doctor or being the victim of a crime etc? Also, has anyone ever gotten confirmation from the Chief (or chief licensing officer) whether or not CCW to and from the range is allowed with restrictions?

Yes, and wrt Boston . . . I am told that the restriction states clearly "No concealed carry"! What does that tell you wrt ccw'g to/from the range?

It's pretty clear to me w/o a memo from Davis or Mumbles.

It's pretty clear to me w/o a memo from Davis or Mumbles.
Exactly. I'm just curious if anyone has by some miracle gotten such a memo. I'll double check the paperwork later but my license does not specify "no concealed carry".

A trap shooting friend of mine just moved into Boston and has no interest in handguns. Is it a pain to apply for an FID since those are shall issue?

A trap shooting friend of mine just moved into Boston and has no interest in handguns. Is it a pain to apply for an FID since those are shall issue?

Same cost, pain and time-delay as a LTC. Only difference SHOULD BE that no Moon Island test (assume, never asked).

Buy fillet mignon or hamburger in Boston, same price and aggravation (maybe not if no Moon Island test).

So got the the appointment on the 2nd July, and just passed Moon Island test. They said a 10-12 week wait following the pass, so this is a 7 month process from making the original appointment. Trying to dissuade people??

Well 12 weeks have passed since Moon Island pass, and 24 weeks since I first called for an appointment, so after 6 months still no license. This doesn't count the weeks before I called BPD when I was taking courses at MFS, which I did to make sure I was prepared (MFS are great - got a high score at Moon Island due to them - recommended). Do they want us to forget everything we learned before we handle a firearm?

Finally got my license on Friday 18th October, so that took exactly 14 weeks from the Moon Island Test.
I immediately went out and bought three sigs, a little excessive, but in my defense 7 months of research and testing handguns at MFS builds demand!

Finally got my license on Friday 18th October, so that took exactly 14 weeks from the Moon Island Test.
I immediately went out and bought three sigs, a little excessive, but in my defense 7 months of research and testing handguns at MFS builds demand!
You'll probably get a visit from the ATF now. Do you really need to buy more than one gun a month......[popcorn]

So I just called BPD HQ to update them with my new address and get an update on the status of my LTC. I submitted my application Aug 19 & passed my range test Aug 26. Moon Island officers said it would be 10-12 weeks to get my LTC. But when I called today I was told that my background check hasn't been received yet and that alone is taking about 12 weeks now. None of this is really a shock to me after reading through these forums for months now but one thing I can't grasp is, had I committed a crime they'd have my background check completed in less than a day, right? So why when applying for a LTC does it take forever or am I just naive in thinking they're the same type of background checks?

So I just called BPD HQ to update them with my new address and get an update on the status of my LTC. I submitted my application Aug 19 & passed my range test Aug 26. Moon Island officers said it would be 10-12 weeks to get my LTC. But when I called today I was told that my background check hasn't been received yet and that alone is taking about 12 weeks now. None of this is really a shock to me after reading through these forums for months now but one thing I can't grasp is, had I committed a crime they'd have my background check completed in less than a day, right? So why when applying for a LTC does it take forever or am I just naive in thinking they're the same type of background checks?

Now that's a good question. Definitely food for thought.

BPD updated their required paperwork and has a newer guide posted on the resigned official BPDnews website:
https://static.squarespace.com/stat...f92c/1379597120109/LTC GUIDELINES 9-2013.pdf

If you have a driver's license with a current Boston address you no longer need to bring utility bills or a voter registration confirmation from City Hall. However, if your license doesn't have a current Boston address printed on it directly from the RMV, the licensing people will want those two forms of documentation to prove you're a Boston resident.

The licensing officers were very friendly & professional when I called to schedule my interview (2 week wait at the time) and during the in person application process at HQ.

BPD updated their required paperwork and has a newer guide posted on the resigned official BPDnews website:
https://static.squarespace.com/stat...f92c/1379597120109/LTC GUIDELINES 9-2013.pdf

If you have a driver's license with a current Boston address you no longer need to bring utility bills or a voter registration confirmation from City Hall. However, if your license doesn't have a current Boston address printed on it directly from the RMV, the licensing people will want those two forms of documentation to prove you're a Boston resident.

The licensing officers were very friendly & professional when I called to schedule my interview (2 week wait at the time) and during the in person application process at HQ.

Did you go for ALP or did they force your hand into restrictions?

Did you go for ALP or did they force your hand into restrictions?

The only options on the form the BPD gives you for a LTC-A are along the lines of "condition of employment, which must be relinquished if that employment is terminated" or "sport/target/hunting". The BPD doesn't use the state form.

I resigned myself to the sport restriction.

The only options on the form the BPD gives you for a LTC-A are along the lines of "condition of employment, which must be relinquished if that employment is terminated" or "sport/target/hunting". The BPD doesn't use the state form.

I resigned myself to the sport restriction.

Did you sit with a licensing officer who then punched it into the state form?

-------------
Excuse the brevity, I'm mobile.

Did you sit with a licensing officer who then punched it into the state form?

This was my complete experience:

When you walk in HQ and state to the front desk that you have an appointment in 15 minutes they hand you an application to fill out. You fill out the application, which only has check boxes for the reason of issuance "condition of employment" or "sport/hunting", and go to the appropriate window for your appointment. The licensing officer there will go over your application, take your ID, birth certificate, and safety course certificate. You are given a bill to go to another window to pay a cashier $100 in cash, whom will give you a receipt to give back to the licensing officer. The licensing officer will then explain the exam and make an appointment for you at the Moon Island range on your preferred date, fingerprint you, and pass you off to a detective in a back office. The detective in the back office asks (this is the "interview") you the same disqualification questions as on the application, confirms your other information as it is entered into the system, and takes your photograph with a webcam type camera.

The detective's computer was facing away from me, so I could not observe what they entered. You don't really have the opportunity to deviate from the BPD form's check-box for "condition of employment" or "sport/hunting".

Both officers were friendly and professional.

Last edited:
I called BPD yesterday asking for paper FA-10s. The lady told me that I can just go online, download the form, fill it out, print it, and mail it in. I asked if it needs to be serialized and she said no. Go figure.

Does anyone know who the LO is for Boston? I'd like to write him/her a letter, but cannot find who that person is.

Thank you.

Do you they have local visitor parking or recommended to take public transportation?

No visitor parking. Street parking is hard to come by, but may be available. There are lots across the street for the school and athletic center that have "Permit Only" signs, so use at your own risk.

Back
Top Bottom