Detailed steps on how to apply for a license in Boston

LTC-A S/T Age?

Hi all, new member here.

I applied for my LTC-A about a month ago (officer on duty added sport/target restrictions to the application, no big deal since that's what I plan on using if for anyway) and I have my moon island test on Wednesday.

My question to you experienced folks is: is my age, 22 turning 23 this month, grounds for me being denied an LTC-A (w/ sport and target restrictions) in Boston? I have a clean record and am a member of a local gun club.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

Hi all, new member here.

I applied for my LTC-A about a month ago (officer on duty added sport/target restrictions to the application, no big deal since that's what I plan on using if for anyway) and I have my moon island test on Wednesday.

My question to you experienced folks is: is my age, 22 turning 23 this month, grounds for me being denied an LTC-A (w/ sport and target restrictions) in Boston? I have a clean record and am a member of a local gun club.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance
In this case no. Boston's SOP is to restrict all applicants that do not fit into already determined categories - i.e. business owner.

Boston does not deny LTC-A based on age. Everyone gets S/T restrictions unless they meet certain specific categories that Boston PD uses for "exceptions" to their NO CCW policy.

You do not need to carry a firearm in Boston for protection. Mayor mumbles guarantes everyones safety.That comes from a man that has a 24 hour police guard at his house and an armed police guard with him all the time.

293 on the test today. Would've scored better if I didn't rush the SA @ 15 yards.. woops. 4-6 Weeks, if not sooner. We'll see how quick it shows up!

Things may have speeded up as of late but mine showed up about 8 weeks after the test. I received it 2 weeks ago.

Just received my LTC-A (S&T) in the mail, about 7.5 weeks after I put in the papers and 3 weeks after the range test.

Outstanding forum here, many thanks to all the posters who came before me. Anyone who has a question about the process, having now just gone through it, feel free to pm me.

Sport /Target Shooting: This license is restricted to such target shooting and traveling to and from the gun club. No concealed carry is allowed under this restriction.

Looking for a Boston resident to clarify...does the wording of this restriction mean that one can't even have an unloaded gun in the trunk unless they're on the way to or from the range? The clause I bolded doesn't make sense otherwise.

Looking for a Boston resident to clarify...does the wording of this restriction mean that one can't even have an unloaded gun in the trunk unless they're on the way to or from the range? The clause I bolded doesn't make sense otherwise.

Keep your eyes and ears in your trunk next to it with your range membership badge. If you get pulled over, you were on your way to the range.

Keep your eyes and ears in your trunk next to it with your range membership badge. If you get pulled over, you were on your way to the range.

I don't live in Boston, not even in Mass. I remember some others mentioning the unusually strict interpretations of T&H east of 495 in the past, is this one of them?

http://www.malegislature.gov/Laws/SessionLaws/Acts/1998/Chapter180

Section 44.

It's hard to say what the restriction for Target & Hunting. I don't know. According to the letter of the law, it doesn't say the weapon has to be unloaded unless you have a Class B, or a large capacity rifle or shotgun. As long as the "firearm while carried therein is under the direct control of such person". If you're the only one in the car, could locking it in your trunk be acceptable? Could keeping it in a locking case under your seat be acceptable? But if you leave the car, you have to meet the storage requirements.

Last edited:
Got my LTC A, Restricted: Sport and Target, No Conceal Carry today in the mail.
About 2 full weeks after the range test? Not too shabby boston, not too shabby. I'd say the only painful process was rescheduling my range test (has to be done in person).

I have a question.

If I reside in Boston, but my permanent address is in Randolph... Can I apply for a gun license in randolph? (I'm guessing if I do it there, I have a better chance of concealed carry).

However, if I DO apply in Randolph and get concealed carry ... would I be allowed to carry it into Boston?

And does anyone know if it's even possible to get concealed carry in Randolph?

Thanks for the help. I'm very new at this.

I have a question.

If I reside in Boston, but my permanent address is in Randolph... Can I apply for a gun license in randolph? (I'm guessing if I do it there, I have a better chance of concealed carry).

However, if I DO apply in Randolph and get concealed carry ... would I be allowed to carry it into Boston?

And does anyone know if it's even possible to get concealed carry in Randolph?

Thanks for the help. I'm very new at this.

Not sure if I understand your question, but I'll try to answer.

If you are a student in Boston, living there for college . . . Boston will never consider you a Boston resident!

If this is the case, yes you apply in Randolph and again yes your chances of an unrestricted permit are infinitely higher than Boston.

It is a state-issued license and valid all across MA. You can carry (if non-restricted) anywhere that the law allows (meaning not on any school/college property, Federal buildings and any other place that has a security checkpoint).

Not sure if I understand your question, but I'll try to answer.

If you are a student in Boston, living there for college . . . Boston will never consider you a Boston resident!

If this is the case, yes you apply in Randolph and again yes your chances of an unrestricted permit are infinitely higher than Boston.

It is a state-issued license and valid all across MA. You can carry (if non-restricted) anywhere that the law allows (meaning not on any school/college property, Federal buildings and any other place that has a security checkpoint).

I guess I should clarify.

My permanent residence, as in my car insurance, etc, is my parent's house.

I live on my own, in boston, as a resident. I have comcast bills, phone bills, here in boston. Only my insurance bill is in randolph.

So, somebody told me, why try to apply in boston and not get unrestricted when I can apply in Randolph (using my insurance as proof of address) and have a better chance to get unrestricted.

however, I was thinking about it... and would i get in deep trouble for doing that? is it going to bite me in the end? is that illegal?

I'd rather not get in trouble.

You are a Boston Resident, not a Randolph Resident. You're merely trying to pay a lower insurance premium and that likely won't fly.

If Randolph figures out that you aren't really a resident there, they could deny you on perjury and it might well effect getting a LTC anywhere in MA!

You are a Boston Resident, not a Randolph Resident. You're merely trying to pay a lower insurance premium and that likely won't fly.

If Randolph figures out that you aren't really a resident there, they could deny you on perjury and it might well effect getting a LTC anywhere in MA!

gotcha, thanks!

I live on my own, in boston, as a resident. I have comcast bills, phone bills, here in boston. Only my insurance bill is in randolph.

So, somebody told me, why try to apply in boston and not get unrestricted when I can apply in Randolph (using my insurance as proof of address) and have a better chance to get unrestricted.

What does your driver's license say? That's usually the "gold standard", and that address will show up in the background check.

If you legitimately stay in both places, you could designate one as your primary residence, making sure that you do all "residence" stuff from that one address only. By "residence stuff", I mean drivers license; car registration; voter registration; etc. Even so, you would be well advised to inoculate yourself against a claim of lying on the application by including a cover letter stating that you maintain your primary legal residence in Randolph (mention DL, voter registration), but also rent a place in Boston. The worst that can happen is that the Randolph PD declares you a Boston resident, as there will be nothing untruthful about your application.

I also suggest caution on any "get cheaper car insurance" scam with a fake address. While this may seem to work when you have no claims, or no major claims, there is a chance the insurance company could investigate your situation if presented with a serious contingency fee claim, and that a material misrepresentation as to your residence could cause your insurance to be invalid; reduced to statutory minimums; or downgraded to what the premium would have bought had you disclosed all. Only a decent lawyer will be able to answer this one with certainty - I'm just pointing out possible risk.

My permanent residence,

This is key. If you can demonstrate that your living in Boston is temporary in nature (as in going to school), it is possible to make a very credible case that you have not actually changed your legal residence.

Last edited:
I guess I should clarify.

however, I was thinking about it... and would i get in deep trouble for doing that? is it going to bite me in the end? is that illegal?

I'd rather not get in trouble.

CAREFUL! if your auto insurance thinks your car is being stored in Randolph and it's actually in boston and it gets stolen/damaged they WILL NOT cover the loss. I have a friend who moved to boston but never updated his auto insurance to try to keep the lower premium and his car was stollen from him. when he filed the claim it got denied because he was lying to the company. So he lost his car and never got a penny from the insurance company.

Looking to apply for my LTC Class A

Looking to apply for the LTC Class A seeing as their have been no recent posts about the process I'd figure I'd ask and see if anyone went through this process recently to let me know what its like.
I am applying for Boston and just took the Basic Safety Course and now want to know what else.

I read that you get the application at the Boston HQ and take the Moon Island Test, what is that like?
Is it better to take other classes on shooting guns and live fire sessions and such before applying?
Will I most likely get a restricted license regardless if I take more classes and get more live fire training?
Does it cost money on top of the application process to take the Moon Island Test?
After all is said and done how much did the license process cost?
Do they still require references for the application process?

I want to know about the whole process and what the Moon Island test is like.

I read that you get the application at the Boston HQ and take the Moon Island Test, what is that like?
The test is described earlier in this thread. You really should take the time to read through the thread.

"The applicant will fire a total of 30 rounds at a modified 25-yard bullseye target with 10, 9 and 8 rings. Each round has a value of 10 points. A perfect score would be 300 (30 hits inside the 10 ring.) A hit inside the 9 ring is 9 points. A hit inside the 8-ring is 8 points. Any hits outside the 8-ring are counted as zero. A minimum of 210 points (70% of 300 points) is required. Any applicant may be disqualified for not handling the weapon safely.

"Applicants will fire the first 12 rounds from the seven yard line, double action, with a one-hand hold. The remaining 18 rounds will be fired from the fifteen yard line, either single or double action, and either one or two hand hold. The choice is made by the applicant.

The test isn't hard if you have some familiarity with shooting revolvers and you have medium sized (or larger) hands. You pretty much just have to be able to hit the paper to pass.

Is it better to take other classes on shooting guns and live fire sessions and such before applying?
You don't need to take another class, though if you haven't shot revolver much it might make sense to spend an hour or two at a range with a revolver and an instructor. At the very least, the instruction will give you more confidence when you show up for the test.

Will I most likely get a restricted license regardless if I take more classes and get more live fire training?
Taking more classes is always a good thing, but it isn't going to get you an unrestricted license in Boston.

So let me get this straight the first round you shoot from seven yards away and the second is 15 yards away. Is this correct and the first round is one handed adn the second is your choice.

So let me get this straight the first round you shoot from seven yards away and the second is 15 yards away. Is this correct and the first round is one handed adn the second is your choice.

Applicants will fire the first 12 rounds from the seven yard line, double action, with a one-hand hold. The remaining 18 rounds will be fired from the fifteen yard line, either single or double action, and either one or two hand hold.

Hi all!

New to the board here...found it through google while researching MA's firearms laws. I am learning the system here in MA and am getting ready to apply for my firearms license (can't believe that's a requirement to just own within the home here). I just moved a month ago from another state where I had the equivalent of an unrestricted LTC-A, ie. the ability to CCW everywhere except schools and federal buildings etc. I am living in Boston now and if I am understanding everyone's posts correctly, there is no way to possibly get an unrestricted LTC-A in Boston? Would my CCW from California (my previous home state) be of any help at all in getting my LTC-A issued with no restrictions? Should I mention it on my application? This thread has been very helpful to me and I am grateful for the OP who posted his process step by step. Thank you in advance for any help or insight you can give.

I am living in Boston now and if I am understanding everyone's posts correctly, there is no way to possibly get an unrestricted LTC-A in Boston?
Unless you are a business owner and can document that you regularly deposit large sums of cash for work, your chances are slim to none, and Slim done left town.

Would my CCW from California (my previous home state) be of any help at all in getting my LTC-A issued with no restrictions? Should I mention it on my application?
Would it help? Unlikely. Should you mention it? If I recall correctly, the form asks for all concealed carry licenses that you have held, so therefore you must put it on your application.

Thank you for the response M1911, though I am very disheartened to hear that. I have grown accustomed to carrying for the purpose of self-defense, and now knowing that I will have no chance in hell of doing so is sad to hear. How well plugged into the 2A fight are the members on this board? Is anyone aware of any pending litigation for this kind of arbitrary denial? I know several counties in California were forced to stop arbitrarily denying CCW applicants due to severe court pressure. My google searching has found an ongoing lawsuit by the SAF in Massachusetts for the gun ban for legal resident aliens, but nothing related to fighting total denial of CCW permits to law abiding citizens in the state of MA. I have certain legal acquaintances who I will get in touch with, and will keep this board updated with what I find out. It's time to take back our rights!!

Back
Top Bottom