DELEO'S GUN HEARING today (Megathread)

Status
Not open for further replies.
anybody catch any news this afternoon? (Not that we don't know which way it's going to spin..)

2013_Cabral.jpg

first female sheriff in MA history..... affirmative action biting us in the ass again.....

They're still calling panels, I have to bail. Keep up the fight!

Do they really believe that every death by firearm is "preventable" if we just had more laws?!?

Tap

anybody catch any news this afternoon? (Not that we don't know which way it's going to spin..)

Caught it at the bar on the way home. They gave Deleo 4 minutes and Jim about 6 seconds. Jim had time to say "These proposed laws will negatively effect some gun owners due to...." cut him off. Such prcks.

Sent from the blind

I think the lawsuits in CA,NY, and CT over the magazine issue might have tempered the state's appetite for that. Either that or the AG will back door it.

Are we forgetting that we have magazine restrictions and we were one of the first States in that regard.

I too was unable to attend and feel miserable about not being there... thank you to those who held the banner and represented us.

Aaron[MA];3959221 said:
Do they really believe that every death by firearm is "preventable" if we just had more laws?!?

Tap
the sheep do, the lawmakers know better but they don't care because they need sheep votes

- - - Updated - - -

Are we forgetting that we have magazine restrictions and we were one of the first States in that regard.
exactly, since when do they give a **** about lawsuits?

AWB, magazine restrictions, bans on perfectly safe guns for sale in the state, AG threatening businesses out of shipping to MA even though perfectly legal.... etc etc

Aaron[MA];3959221 said:

Tap

Not just firearm deaths, they believe that every death can be prevented by politicians and enough tax money. And they also believe that it's their moral duty to try to save everyone.

so whats the over all feel of this proposed shit of a bill? pass, no pass?

SOMETHING will pass (for the children). Like DeLeo said, Dems in MA want to stay ahead of the other moonbattery going on in other states, MA has a reputation to uphold after all. Do you realize how many hurrumps the MA liberals would get at the Dem conventions if they didn't seize the Sandy Hook opportunity? Deval and DeLeo have to act this year, and it will pass due to the Dem majority, we all know it. It's just a matter of what size shit-sammich we eat and how runny it's going to be.

We can only hope that we got through to them and the most egregious sections will be re-written, edited, dropped through offered amendments. I may be wrong, but I doubt the committee tipped it's hand today to what changes may be entertained.

a lot of the Dems in the western/mid part of the state are Dem in name only. they're fairly conservative, as is my rep. This won't be a slam dunk

*Except the deaths of unborn children.

don't get the thread locked

I had all intentions of going today, had the day off and was on my way. Took my truck because I don't like parking the hot rod in the city. 10 miles in and I lose second gear in the truck. Needless to say my day sucked from that moment on. Sorry.

Great job and thanks to all those who did make it, I'm greatly indebted to you all.

GOAL Testifies

Disappointed with Speakers Bill.
June 3, 2014

Gun Owners' Action League.
H.4121 Disappoints
GOAL DISAPPOINTED WITH SPEAKERS GUN CONTROL BILL;
URGES COMMITTEE TO RESPECT THE CIVIL RIGHTS OF GUN OWNERS;
SUPPORTS EFFORTS TO MAKE COMMONWEALTH SAFER

BOSTON - The Gun Owners' Action League (GOAL) expressed disappointment today in it's testimony against Speaker DeLeo's proposed gun control legislation. GOAL testified at a hearing for the bill before the Joint Committee on Public Safety and Homeland Security. Testifying for GOAL was Executive Director, Jim Wallace, who told the Committee that the organization had originally hoped it would be able to support the legislation.

"We honestly hoped that we would see a piece of legislation that we could support from the start," said Wallace. "Unfortunately, that is not the case. We wanted to support a bill that would turn a corner for Massachusetts gun policy. A bill that reformed laws that persecute lawful citizens and increased enforcement to stop criminals that perpetrate gun crime," he said. Wallace went on to note that the bill's authors could not have been hoping for GOAL's support, as the provisions of the bill include increased restrictions on lawful gun owners.

Wallace testified that GOAL did support certain parts of the legislation including:

• Delivering mental health adjudications to the National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS) if drafted correctly;
  • Punishing criminals who commit carjacking and home invasions with firearms;
  • Streamlining license renewals;
  • Providing mental health care and emergency planning

Wallace also reminded the Committee about the abject failure of Massachusetts current gun control policies. Since the 1998 Gun Control Act (Chapter 180 of the Acts of 1998), licensed gun ownership in the Commonwealth have been decreased by 80%, but gun crime in the state has tripled. According to Wallace, DeLeo's bill would only exacerbate the issue.

"GOAL wants criminals and the mentally ill to be stopped from possessing firearms - gun violence must be stopped - but placing restrictions on lawful citizens is NOT the answer," testified Wallace. "We will not accept the abridging a law-abiding citizen's civil rights as an answer - and that is exactly what this bill does."

Wallace then testified in favor of legislation written by GOAL that reforms the state's gun laws. He testified that he hoped the Committee, in drafting any further legislation, would consider the bill.

"We would strongly recommend that the legislature look at GOAL's Civil Rights and Public Safety Act for effectual reform and change," he said.​

i honestly only included items i can and will not live with when i emailed my reps. I made no mention of the suicide number on my card/ guards for schools/flyers at gunshops.. I figure pick your battles. If you just regurgitate what GOAL says they will just quick read it ok another goal member,, next...

don't get the thread locked

I had all intentions of going today, had the day off and was on my way. Took my truck because I don't like parking the hot rod in the city. 10 miles in and I lose second gear in the truck. Needless to say my day sucked from that moment on. Sorry.

Great job and thanks to all those who did make it, I'm greatly indebted to you all.

Sorry to hear about your truck today. I would also like to say thank you to all that attended in support of our rights.

My completely useless opinion...

The reason for the hearings is to let people think they have a voice and people care about them.

As such, Two items will be removed from the bill (1 year and FID may issue ) to appease the gun owners. They never intended to pass those, but by putting these egregious items in, they can remove them as a compromise.

They will add in 1 gun per month to show they are compromising with the antis as well.

Really, we are just getting screwed, but they can say "see, we are listening"

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Yup - we need to be better organized when it comes to this stuff. There could have been more gun owners than antis there today but you would never have known it since they were all wearing the same sticker and holding the same sign so it was easy to spot them.

Ya! sheep all look pretty much the same, too.

Had to leave at 2pm to attend an appointment. Is this still going on? Contemplating if I should go back in the city from Burlington.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom