• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

DELEO'S GUN HEARING today (Megathread)

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Emotion emotion heartstring. Children baby emotion. Something something fake stats something. Jibber jabber. Guns bad.

Tap

Sorry to hear about your truck today. I would also like to say thank you to all that attended in support of our rights.

Not to kiss ass too much, but I'd also like to thank Derek and the Mods for NES. This forum is tremendous and serves so many purposes to the regional gun community. The buildup to this bill, contacting legislators, and the running commentary are a great asset. Thanks.

I spoke with Jim Wallace after he testified. He feels a bill will pass, but we should be able to get some changes in the bill. Time will tell.

I think he's right. I'm guessing that we'll get the 1 year misdemeanor pulled out and ~maybe~ the suitably language changed bit (though it will still be there in some form, and for FIDs too.) I think we're stuck with FFL transfers and the bullshit training changes.

I think he's right. I'm guessing that we'll get the 1 year misdemeanor pulled out and ~maybe~ the suitably language changed bit (though it will still be there in some form, and for FIDs too.) I think we're stuck with FFL transfers and the bullshit training changes.
Here's hoping they split the bills up. Seems a fools hope at this point.

did anyone address the training at all? I thought GOAL was pretty on point when they tore that one apart in their write up. and it has been often overlooked for most on here as most already have their LTC, but it could have an impact on new people coming in, and not in a good way

I left shortly after Jim testified and I really wish I could give more to GOAL. Hats off to Jim Wallace for stepping up to bat for all of us.

Still here 5 1/2 hours later. We seem to be now hearing a lot of the same stuff.

I have to be down the street at 6, but most all of the major points I've heard addressed in these threads was brought up at least once.

Matty, training was addressed a number of times--perhaps most effectively by Jim Wallace.

Still here 5 1/2 hours later. We seem to be now hearing a lot of the same stuff.

I have to be down the street at 6, but most all of the major points I've heard addressed in these threads was brought up at least once.

Matty, training was addressed a number of times--perhaps most effectively by Jim Wallace.

hopefully they can get it out of the bill, I know I know, what about all those innocent lives that MA police training for wannabe shooters would save?

For the record the legislative panel of republicans was L to R Leah cole, Randy hunt, Shaunna O'Connell, and Matt Beaton

I would not see an issue with live fire training if it was incorporated into the current course. I offer it as a bonus for people to see what the gun actually feels like when you fire it! Hell if thats all that comes out of this Bill I will by the entire NES members a round...but I know better and these bastards wont rest until they feel like they passed something even if it doesnt help at all

Sent from the blind

I would not see an issue with live fire training if it was incorporated into the current course. I offer it as a bonus for people to see what the gun actually feels like when you fire it! Hell if thats all that comes out of this Bill I will by the entire NES members a round...but I know better and these bastards wont rest until they feel like they passed something even if it doesnt help at all

It's not so much an issue of adding live fire training, but rather that the bill would essentially negate the legitimacy of the entire population of certified firearms instructors in the state, and the state would have to come up with its own curriculum- then certify instructors. We already have a pretty decent system in place for that (become accredited to teach, apply for certification from the state, and then proceed with teaching the program and submitting student names to the police for licensure eligibility). As written, my understanding is that the bill would make it impossible for anyone to obtain a license until the state developed a curriculum and certified instructors...basically, restarting the entire pre-licensing system from scratch. A terrible idea, and IMO a key component of the bill that needs to be defeated. It would destroy the businesses of anyone who teaches courses for license eligibility, and negate the status of Hunter Ed courses as license-eligible as well.

Someone please correct me if I'm misunderstanding the bill as I read it...I'd love to be wrong on this.

I would not see an issue with live fire training if it was incorporated into the current course. I offer it as a bonus for people to see what the gun actually feels like when you fire it!

this is a Devil's compromise. Sure, I think people should learn to be proficient with firearms if they are going to use them, but it is a constitutional right and the training is there to set a higher bar to admission, not to ensure proficiency. If you don't even think the LTC is constitutional, then everything else is an infringement. Once you start to compromise, you're done.

this is a Devil's compromise. Sure, I think people should learn to be proficient with firearms if they are going to use them, but it is a constitutional right and the training is there to set a higher bar to admission, not to ensure proficiency. If you don't even think the LTC is constitutional, then everything else is an infringement. Once you start to compromise, you're done.

Fact is LTC is here to stay. Beyond that if you have an ltc I dont think they are saying it will be negated. The way I read it and im not a lawyer was it would have live fire portion in the class not a firing test. Hell if they had a firing test most police would flunk and probably the same percentage of ltc holders.

Sent from the blind

For the record the legislative panel of republicans was L to R Leah cole, Randy hunt, Shaunna O'Connell, and Matt Beaton

If this is correct, I would like to state that Matt Beaton is a beast. His was some of my favorite testimony.

Tap

Got in when Peterson was testifying and left after Jim was done. Overall it was a great job for our side as we appeared logical and appropriately emotional while the antis came across as clueless mostly (Linsky seemed most informed if you can believe it).

Loved the questioning of the researchers. They looked stumped. Jim was awesome at the Prohibited Person vs suitability and training. The questioning on what happened to enforcing existing law on Andrea was epic. She started fanning herself even more then! Beaton was just awesome.

Based on my listening if I had to guess there would the following changes,
- defining suitability to be more friendly including removal of the 1yr misdemeanor
- LEO/military exemptions spewed around
And the bill passes, most likely on the last few days of the session. Facts are on our side but since when did that matter.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

That was a perfect recitation of 1-year misdemeanors. Included bathing in public fountains? Loved his statement that all of us here are probably guilty of at least one of these!

His articulate way of pointing out the insanity was good to see

Sent from the blind

From what I have read here it sounds like even though we didn't have the number of people the anti's had we landed many more punches in this round

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom