Considering a "snubby"

I let a new gunowner shot my .357 sp101 the other night. He said "that gun hurt my hand"
Except for my J frames, strangely, which I don't have a problem with for some reason, I prefer a grip that fills the space between the trigger guard and the grip frame. I didn't like Hogue bantam grips on the SP101, but the Pachmayr Diamond Pro grips turned out to be the ticket. I even put them on my GP100 (though getting them to fit was a bear--had to drill out that aluminum cylinder insert that comes with them and fits in the grip frame of the gun).

For myself I have to agree, unfortunately. But I wouldn't say it is pointless for everyone. I have yet to sell my wife on any semi-auto, and I'd never hand her a 38+P J frame. For her I'm either looking at something at about the size and weight of an SP101 or a rimfire J frame. Pick your poison. That's why I haven't sold my 3" SP101 in 357M. I wish it were chambered in .327 Federal Magnum, though.
That's fair. If someone can't manage a semi-auto, then a revolver is better than harsh words.

I pocket carried a .38 LCR for many years (I've switched to a Glock 43 but still carry the Ruger occasionally). Great little gun. I wouldn't shoot .357 through something this light but the .357 LCR is a bit heavier than the .38 version - good for taming recoil (I'd still load it with .38) but, well, it's heavier.
This. Also LCR's have decent triggers.

Personally I find more heft in a snubbie to be beneficial. After I completely miss the bad guy with all six shots I can hit him with it.
[rofl]

I carry a PM9 in my pocket in the summer. I find it easier to carry than when I carried a 642, but YMMV. It never attracted attention.

One advantage that pocket carry has is that you can nonchalantly put your hand in your pocket and grip the gun without people realizing.

I’ve tried several appendix holster but none has worked for me — they were all uncomfortable and printed badly. For belt holsters, I carry on my right hip for both IWB and OWB.
I got a PM9 as well but I never liked pocket carry, both that and My SP101 travel in Crossbreed's but like you said YMMV.

Can't go wrong with an LCR in any flavor, my BIL carries his in 9mm and loves it, I've had both .38 and .357 and had zero complaints. I carried a S&W 442 as my backup gun when on duty and I never had any problems qualifying or felt like I was under-gunned. These days when I carry a snub nose, though, I throw my Taurus 856 in my coat pocket. Having 6 rounds of .38 in my pocket is nice, and it's been 100% reliable.

And it’s too heavy for a pocket.

There is no free lunch here. If you want small enough and light enough for a pocket then it will suck to shoot .357. If you want big enough and heavy enough to comfortably shoot .357, then it is belt holster time and you can carry a Glock 19 (or something similar) instead.

I’m not a revolver hater. I’ve got two 4” K-frames and they are lovely guns. I shot my Model 66 in IDPA for a year. But for defensive purposes a compact semi-auto is better all around than any small or midsize revolver.
I agree that the K6s is heavier but its my favorite snub that I have. Its got great feel with every type of ammo I've put through it. Far less harsh than my LCR and any of the J-frames I've shot. In a gun that small you need some amount of weight or it's painful to shoot more than a few rounds.

I got a PM9 as well but I never liked pocket carry, both that and My SP101 travel in Crossbreed's but like you said YMMV.
I don't understand why you would carry either a PM9 or SP101 in an IWB holster. If you are carrying a gun in an IWB holster, you can carry a larger gun that is easier to shoot than either a PM9 or an SP101. My Glock 43x is quite thin and easy to conceal, has 10 rounds, a full grip, and a red dot (or a longer sight radius) -- it's a far better gun in a fight than either a PM9 or SP101.

I agree that the K6s is heavier but its my favorite snub that I have. Its got great feel with every type of ammo I've put through it. Far less harsh than my LCR and any of the J-frames I've shot. In a gun that small you need some amount of weight or it's painful to shoot more than a few rounds.
But it is too heavy for pocket carry and if I'm going to carry in a belt holster, why limit yourself to 6 shots? Why not carry a Glock 43x, a P365, or a size larger like a Glock 19?

I’ve carried a J frame for about 25 years and while I never liked pocket carrying, I have been appendix IWB carrying a hammerless J frame for years. The hammerless is super comfortable and is almost imperceptible against your stomach.

To me, the best J frame is the 640 pro. Hammerless, super iron sights, and since it’s made of slightly heavier steel it shoots 357 with no recoil issues. I even tested/tricked a buddy to shoot it without telling him it was 357 and he didn’t even notice the recoil.

But it is too heavy for pocket carry and if I'm going to carry in a belt holster, why limit yourself to 6 shots? Why not carry a Glock 43x, a P365, or a size larger like a Glock 19?
Its definitely a trade off. If it's in my winter jacket, it's worked fine for me. Lighter clothes pocket carry doesn't work well. I carry a P365X macro IWB most days so we don't disagree. I wanted to like the SW J-frames but could never shoot well with them.

Hard to disagree with @M1911 here. G43 in my pocket or G19 (soon to be equiped with a red dot) on my belt. Don't see a point to anything in-between.

I might try the Phlster. I’ve tried several quality appendix holsters for my 43x and they just don’t work for me.

I agree that appendix carry has some advantages if you can make it work. Every carry method has advantages and disadvantages.
I'm going down that path as well. Currently looking at a Tenicor Velo 4.

Hard to disagree with @M1911 here. G43 in my pocket or G19 (soon to be equiped with a red dot) on my belt. Don't see a point to anything in-between.
I can see an argument for a G43x or P365 in a belt holster over a Glock 19 -- it's thinner and lighter, easier to conceal, but a bit harder for me to shoot well than my Glock 19. For winter carry, I carry my Glock 19. For under a Hawaiian shirt? I may take the 43x.

If you do go with the LCR
Get the 357
A little more weight and gives you the option of 38 plain, +P or +P+ ammo
Or 357
One of the reasons I picked the 357

I can see an argument for a G43x or P365 in a belt holster over a Glock 19 -- it's thinner and lighter, easier to conceal, but a bit harder for me to shoot well than my Glock 19. For winter carry, I carry my Glock 19. For under a Hawaiian shirt? I may take the 43x.
One thing I noticed with a 43X is I have to focus my grip differently than on a 19. A 19 just kind of fits my hands and I don't have to pay too much attention to precisely how I'm gripping it to be able to pull the trigger without upsetting the sights. With a 43X the grip is so narrow I have to lighten up my strong hand grip a little bit, focus on gripping front to back, then with my support hand I have to rotate it all the way thumb forward and clamp down hard side to side, or when I break the trigger the front sight jumps sideways. It's surprisingly hard to shoot. I have an easier time running the DA trigger on my 442.

One thing I noticed with a 43X is I have to focus my grip differently than on a 19. A 19 just kind of fits my hands and I don't have to pay too much attention to precisely how I'm gripping it to be able to pull the trigger without upsetting the sights. With a 43X the grip is so narrow I have to lighten up my strong hand grip a little bit, focus on gripping front to back, then with my support hand I have to rotate it all the way thumb forward and clamp down hard side to side, or when I break the trigger the front sight jumps sideways. It's surprisingly hard to shoot.
I agree that the 43x is harder for me to shoot than my 19. The 19 just fits my hand better.
I have an easier time running the DA trigger on my 442.
That hasn't been the case for me and my 642 had a professional trigger job done by a gunsmith. I find the 43x still easier to shoot than any snubbie. But that may be down to how it fits my hand. I wear a "large" size gloves, but my mitts aren't that big.

Edited to add: Just like my old Kahr K40, I do find the 43x slightly uncomfortable to shoot. I think it just moves around a bit too much in my hand on recoil. It's not a scandium J-frame with .357 uncomfortable, but not something I would want to put 300 rounds through during a range session like my Glock 19.

I love my snubby, S&W 638, .38spl

Oh yeah, I'm currently waiting on my second Robert Mika holster. Should be here before the end of the week. Best snubby holster for pocket carry IMO.
I have a Bob Mika holster for my S&W 442 performance Center snub. IIRC bob was a LA homicide detective so he's been around the block. He personally calls every person he makes a holster for. I talked to him for about 45 minutes found out his brother was a Vietnam vet and worked with a 9th Infantry division, Vietnam. I added a hogue grip. I think at the time I bought it the pocket holster was around 30= bucks. That' custom-made by Bob. It's perfect for cargo carry and it conceals perfectly. the holster does not come out of your pocket when you draw.. IMG_1207.jpeg

I found that the 642 with .38 +P smacked my trigger finger. 50 rounds through that and I was done for the day.

Edited to add: you can put larger Pachmayr boot grips on the 642 that make it far more comfortable to shoot, but then it no longer fits in your pocket, which defeats the whole purpose of the gun.
Plus, if you add the larger grips, although it's easier and more comfortable, if you need to reload that grip gets in the way - even with the "cut out".
If you value the integrity of your hand don't buy an LCR....I've personally witnessed two that blew up.
If you Alaskans would stop trying to put grizzly bear rounds in everything... [rofl]

I don't understand why you would carry either a PM9 or SP101 in an IWB holster. If you are carrying a gun in an IWB holster, you can carry a larger gun that is easier to shoot than either a PM9 or an SP101. My Glock 43x is quite thin and easy to conceal, has 10 rounds, a full grip, and a red dot (or a longer sight radius) -- it's a far better gun in a fight than either a PM9 or SP101.
Like I said I'm just not a fan of pocket carry, not knocking it, it's just not for me. BTW, I'm really not a fan of IWB holsters either, I have always preferred belt carry but I've gotten a tad pudgy over the years and in light clothes everything prints like of mofo, This time of the year I can usually carry my 1911 (yea, I'm one of those guys) on my belt because I'm usually wearing a heavy pull over or something like that.

Back
Top Bottom