Confused or overly cautious FFLs?

A while ago, I bought a Daewoo DR-200 with paperwork showing that it was imported in 1991, and the importer of record closed in 1992. It still took me 6 FFL's to find someone willing to transfer it.
Yep. I recently ran into a decent deal on a pre-ban (pre-'94) MAK90... but my FFL wouldn't touch it. [crying]

He knew it was legal to import... but fear of Maura made it a no-go. [thinking]

If anyone wants to know the FFL (it's not North Shore Firearms) you can PM me. I'm not interested in publicly shaming these guys, because they're a good shop with good deals and until now I've only had very positive encounters there. I'd like to spare them the NES wrath and conspiracy theories.

It seems some personnel in the store are suspicious of (legal) guns on the military-looking side of things and aren't interested in handling them or their owners. Not hard to understand given the MA sideshow, but getting a straight answer was more difficult than I liked.

If anyone wants to know the FFL (it's not North Shore Firearms) you can PM me. I'm not interested in publicly shaming these guys, because they're a good shop with good deals and until now I've only had very positive encounters there. I'd like to spare them the NES wrath and conspiracy theories.

The "conspiracy" I spoke of earlier has already been "reality" on at least one case in the past year or so in MA. I wouldn't be surprised if there are
more of them, we just haven't managed to dig them up yet.

Out them or not, doesn't matter, with policies like that they will self select their customers and sink or swim otherwise. Even if you did out them an NES BOYCOTT crew thing isn't liable to change much for them, given those policies.

-Mike

I'm just not interested in causing trouble for them. It's a good place to buy sporting guns and wooden milsurp. Not so hot for fans of the 1980s aesthetic.

I've been licensed for 36+ years now. I go by what's written law in the 700 pages of Fed and State regs. No issues. Jack.

I agree but 95% of the FFLs in MA aren't THAT paranoid. Most of the free state fails can be chalked up to a lack of understanding of the laws, particularly with C&R....
TRUTH.

Blows my mind how little some FFLs (even more so MA) know how to read the LAWS, it's like they never even looked. It's not what they think or perceive, it's what does the law say.

Good riddance. There are plenty of FFLs out there who actually take the time to read and UNDERSTAND the laws. Find them and give them your business. Few and far between.

TRUTH.

Blows my mind how little some FFLs (even more so MA) know how to read the LAWS, it's like they never even looked. It's not what they think or perceive, it's what does the law say.

Good riddance. There are plenty of FFLs out there who actually take the time to read and UNDERSTAND the laws. Find them and give them your business. Few and far between.
There are a bunch of them here in the Mill in Littleton. Jack.

Had a guy from MA wanting to buy a perfectly legal EBR from me but the deal didn't get completed because he said he couldn't find a transfer dealer who believed the rifle was MA legal. I sincerely believe he wasn't just trying to get out of the deal.

It seems some personnel in the store are suspicious of (legal) guns on the military-looking side of things and aren't interested in handling them or their owners.

So not a fudd store, but has some fudd employees?

Just had an experience I hadn't encountered before. An FFL who agreed to receive a preban (early '80s) rifle for me called me back and said they'd thought it over and wouldn't touch it. When I asked why, he started quoting the 1998 handgun laws about approved rosters and the pre-98 state registration requirements. Thought there was some confusion about it being a rifle, but no, he said because it had a folding stock he had to abide by those laws, and even if I was right he wouldn't risk it.

I've had great experiences with them in the past but it dawns on me now I've only seen them sell hunting rifles.
If you've had nothing but positive experiences with them so far then it doesn't make much sense to cut them off completely for one bad experience. Find a FFL that will do this transfer and don't sweat it.
It's real easy for all these keyboard lawyers to talk tough when they're taking zero risk. Just ignore them. The FFL was either confused, scared, uneducated or all of the above. It sounds like you've got the right attitude and aren't trying to hurt the FFL. You're welcome in my shop any time.

Most of the free state fails can be chalked up to a lack of understanding of the laws, particularly with C&R....
In free(er) states, there are also a lot more hobby 01 FFLs. They aren't doing it for a living, so they don't keep up on all the laws; it's understandable that they err on the side of caution.

I've bought from 01 FFLs based in machine shops, secondhand shops, garages, and even a feed store (scored a MINT Polish Wz.48 .22LR trainer for a song at that one!)

I've bought from 01 FFLs based in machine shops, secondhand shops, garages, and even a feed store (scored a MINT Polish Wz.48 .22LR trainer for a song at that one!)

When I lived down the Cape, I used to use a guy that ran his shop out of the dental laboratory he owned/operated.

I don't mind if an FFL has some peculiar store policy, but getting told the handgun laws prohibit rifles kinda threw me. Anyone have an FFL in the north shore area that accepts shipments from individuals?
I thought if the gun was coming from out of state it had to come from an FFL no from an individual. Doesn’t the individual have to use FFL in their state to send it to FFL in MAss?

Can't blame any of them - who wants to risk their business (whether side hustle or not) for a lousy $25 transfer fee? There is no living to be made doing out of state transfers.

If they're only collecting 25 bucks than whose problem is that? On the other hand I get it, I think most people don't have a problem with the dealer rejecting a transfer but then we have big problems with it when they start to make up fake laws to justify it... that part is particularly infuriating because it contributes to the malaise of misinformation going on in this state. If you're not going to transfer something don't make up fake legalese bullshit to justify it- just say that "you don't do those transfers" and leave it at that. The fake legal BS reminds me of "I was cleaning the gun when it just went off!" it reads as nothing more than a head fake to try to mask incompetence....

I thought if the gun was coming from out of state it had to come from an FFL no from an individual. Doesn’t the individual have to use FFL in their state to send it to FFL in MAss?

Long guns can be sent from individuals to FFLs. Handguns have to be FFL>FFL.

If they're only collecting 25 bucks than whose problem is that? On the other hand I get it, I think most people don't have a problem with the dealer rejecting a transfer but then we have big problems with it when they start to make up fake laws to justify it... that part is particularly infuriating because it contributes to the malaise of misinformation going on in this state. If you're not going to transfer something don't make up fake legalese bullshit to justify it- just say that "you don't do those transfers" and leave it at that. The fake legal BS reminds me of "I was cleaning the gun when it just went off!" it reads as nothing more than a head fake to try to mask incompetence....

Id rather just get told "No" then have some dude weave a long winded story of BS. I was in shooters outpost a while back and they had a great deal on an AK bundle. Rifle, drum mag, spare mags, and 500rds of ammo or something for like $600.00 (don't quote me on that, it was a few years ago) It was a great deal. Being military, I had a TX drivers license, I was home ported in Maine while my boat was in the yards up there, but also maintained a home in CT.

This guy wouldn't sell me the rifle cause I owned a home in CT.....he went on and on about how it was illegal in CT, and that even though I was stationed in Maine, I didn't have a home there bla bla bla. I was so pissed at the guys espousal of BS more than anything. Id have much rather he said, "I don't know and one sale isn't worth it" to me it was pretty clear that I was good to go, but not to Mr. "My buddy in the ATF who's uncle is a lawyer knows a guy who wrote the CT laws" I'm still pissed about that guy today.

Just had an experience I hadn't encountered before. An FFL who agreed to receive a preban (early '80s) rifle for me called me back and said they'd thought it over and wouldn't touch it. When I asked why, he started quoting the 1998 handgun laws about approved rosters and the pre-98 state registration requirements. Thought there was some confusion about it being a rifle, but no, he said because it had a folding stock he had to abide by those laws, and even if I was right he wouldn't risk it.

I've had great experiences with them in the past but it dawns on me now I've only seen them sell hunting rifles.

Was the barrel under 16"?

Ask the guy if he can transfer a 1944 M1 carbine paratrooper with the folding stock. Will this guy do an SMS or a mak-90? There Chinese underfolders in the wall out a number of places at rape prices of course. Send him to one of those shops and ask to buy one with his ltc.

If he won't do pre-bans then it's big red flag.

FFL's f*** up all the time.

An FFL that was extremely well liked on here originally refused my transfer because the sending FFL didnt include a copy of their FFL (they are under no obligation to do so). The counterman went from it being law, to it being store policy, to it being personal policy, to it being "I dont care im not going to do it". In all fairness once the owner of the company got wind of it, it was rectified. Another FFL on here hassled me because Ive actually moved once in 7 years, and the RMV / DCJIS doesnt issue new licenses everytime you move. Once an FFL digs his feet in, stupidity is bound to come out and your best bet as others have said is just to find another that will play by the rules we've been allotted.

An individual can use UPS or FedEx to ship a handgun but you will pay an arm and a leg because of THEIR 2-day or faster rule brought on by the number of thieves they employ, not ATF.

Depending on how friendly you are with your FFL, it's often cheaper for him to run the handgun through his boundbook so it can be mailed for the cheaper USPS rates. Regional Flat Rate A is still <$8 within New England; <$10 for B.

FFL's f*** up all the time.

An FFL that was extremely well liked on here originally refused my transfer because the sending FFL didnt include a copy of their FFL (they are under no obligation to do so). The counterman went from it being law, to it being store policy, to it being personal policy, to it being "I dont care im not going to do it". In all fairness once the owner of the company got wind of it, it was rectified. Another FFL on here hassled me because Ive actually moved once in 7 years, and the RMV / DCJIS doesnt issue new licenses everytime you move. Once an FFL digs his feet in, stupidity is bound to come out and your best bet as others have said is just to find another that will play by the rules we've been allotted.

Sending ffl needs to supply a signed copy of his ffl. Otherwise what does he put in his bound book?
If the sender is not an ffl, some will not except from an individual (non-licensee) as policy altough they certainly can with ID (and state license if necessary).

Always check with the receiving dealer.

The same people who will tell the dealer this is "perfectly safe" are the same one who will refuse to sign an indemnification contract agreeing to pay for the shop's attorney if the AG disagrees. I know one shop owner who has offered these terms when people tell him he is overly careful and the transaction is "100% legal and safe". He has never had a customer sign the contract.

The same people who will tell the dealer this is "perfectly safe" are the same one who will refuse to sign an indemnification contract agreeing to pay for the shop's attorney if the AG disagrees. I know one shop owner who has offered these terms when people tell him he is overly careful and the transaction is "100% legal and safe". He has never had a customer sign the contract.

Most of us don’t have a problem with a dealer refusing to do something, if the policy is clear. It’s when people lie about what the law says, or get waffly or inconsistent that tends to piss people off....

Back
Top Bottom