"CCW Welcome"

Here's a thought I have had for some time. You see all manner of anti gun signs. Words/signs make a statement about a business one way or another. It occurred to me how powerful words/signs are. Here's an idea. If I had a business open to the public, I would have a very simple sign, which would read:

"CCW Welcome"

Before you respond, think about some realities. People give bad guys way to much credit for knowing much. Most bad guys have no idea what CCW means. The vast majority of non gun owners also have no idea what CCW means, and sadly, a % of gun owners dont know what CCW means. The only people who do, are those who CCW and LEO. Would not need to be a big sign, just a small sign similar in size to the anti sign you might see on the wall at the Post Office.

Such a sign makes no legal, moral, etc statements of judgments. It simply lets those legal gun owners know they are welcome in this establishment. It's a powerful but very simple message. Could this not be a simple yet powerful movement?

If you own such a business, would you be willing to put up such a sign? If not, why not?

Just some thoughts. Discuss. [smile]

Depends on what type of establishment.

Like it or not, businesses need the support of everyone and anyone. You can't just put something up and not feel any effects from it. People will ask and when word gets around positive or negative, it affects everything.

Actually you used to frequent my Uncle in law's place, it's gone now but it was on RT9 /126 in Framingham. I don't know if you remember me but I didn't put your name to the face until I saw your website.

But anyway sets up my case in point. Business picked up with the addition of a small scroll encased in plastic located on the door jamb or the front door. We're not Jewish and the place wasn't even Kosher. I believe it was a gift from a customer and some people noticed. That was a positive addition some non-Jewish folks asked what it was but remained indifferent after they were informed.

I would like a similar reaction from a CCW welcome sign but in reality, you'll find yourself in the news. Until hell freezes over, best thing IMHO is don't ask, don't tell.

Edit- Another thought. Instead of a "CCW Welcome" sign. Perhaps a better alternative is something along the lines of a universal symbol or a picture. I know people use MOLAN LABE or RTBA or something like that.

Last edited:
Depends on what type of establishment.

Like it or not, businesses need the support of everyone and anyone. You can't just put something up and not feel any effects from it. People will ask and when word gets around positive or negative, it affects everything.

Actually you used to frequent my Uncle in law's place, it's gone now but it was on RT9 /126 in Framingham.

Michi Kusa?????

I don't know if you remember me but I didn't put your name to the face until I saw your website.

You didn't say your name, etc, so hard to know if I remember you. Send PM or something. [smile]

But anyway sets up my case in point. Business picked up with the addition of a small scroll encased in plastic located on the door jamb or the front door. We're not Jewish and the place wasn't even Kosher. I believe it was a gift from a customer and some people noticed. That was a positive addition some non-Jewish folks asked what it was but remained indifferent after they were informed.

I would like a similar reaction from a CCW welcome sign but in reality, you'll find yourself in the news. Until hell freezes over, best thing IMHO is don't ask, don't tell.

Fair points. There's no doubts such a thing is not neutral per se, but I suspect a net benefit business wise, but who knows.

Edit- Another thought. Instead of a "CCW Welcome" sign. Perhaps a better alternative is something along the lines of a universal symbol or a picture. I know people use MOLAN LABE or RTBA or something like that.

Ah, I like the idea of some universal symbol for it. That's a good idea. Could be on shirts, pumper stickers, etc showing support to those in the know.

I think a business owner should be able to publicly welcome anyone he wants to do business with. That said, I agree with much of what pj150 wrote. If word got out to the anti-gun folk that you were "encouraging" CCW in your establishment, it would be about 3 1/2 minutes before a group was protesting outside your doors. Now, that could be a good thing or a bad thing, depending on where the business is. In an area with lots of CCW folk, they might choose your shop over a similar competitor because they share your opinion...or, conversely, you might find a lot of folks turned off by the idea that they could be rubbing elbows with someone carrying and stay far away.

I think it would be a good idea to simply put up a list of gun-friendly local businesses on GOAL's site or on our local gun club sites, etc. to let us know who our friends are. That has a little bit better chance of staying under the radar.

Instead, why don't we simply have a sign that says "We honor the Bill Of Rights"? And then you don't single out ccw and at the same time you give equal value to all American rights.

Small world..
I used to work with a person that I believe was related (daughter/ niece) to the owner of michi Kusa too..
went there many times in the old days too..

Here ya go courtesy of www.Gunbroker.com just this morning. This poster IS legal to repost here. There's a line on the bottom of the original granting permission. Just copy this to your computer and you can easily make big ones without any degrading of the artwork.

Rome

Here's a thought I have had for some time. You see all manner of anti gun signs. Words/signs make a statement about a business one way or another. It occurred to me how powerful words/signs are. Here's an idea. If I had a business open to the public, I would have a very simple sign, which would read:

"CCW Welcome"

Before you respond, think about some realities. People give bad guys way to much credit for knowing much. Most bad guys have no idea what CCW means. The vast majority of non gun owners also have no idea what CCW means, and sadly, a % of gun owners dont know what CCW means. The only people who do, are those who CCW and LEO. Would not need to be a big sign, just a small sign similar in size to the anti sign you might see on the wall at the Post Office.

Such a sign makes no legal, moral, etc statements of judgments. It simply lets those legal gun owners know they are welcome in this establishment. It's a powerful but very simple message. Could this not be a simple yet powerful movement?

If you own such a business, would you be willing to put up such a sign? If not, why not?

Just some thoughts. Discuss. [smile]

Will - frankly I don't see the need or the point. The whole point of CCW is that it is, well, concealed. I don't advertise the fact I carry, and I wouldn't want anyone giving me a tip of the hat for doing so. A sign welcoming me to a business would be pointless...I'm not going to thank the owner for sure! Conversely, aside from the obvious restrictions on federal property etc, I've never seen a sign saying "No hand guns allowed"...even if a business had such a sign, how many of us would just ignore it??? Unless they wand everyone going in, how would they know???

Sorry, just don't see the point my friend.[thinking]

I just found this website that has the sign that you speak of.
Right here
workgun_sign.jpg

Will - frankly I don't see the need or the point. The whole point of CCW is that it is, well, concealed. I don't advertise the fact I carry, and I wouldn't want anyone giving me a tip of the hat for doing so. A sign welcoming me to a business would be pointless...I'm not going to thank the owner for sure! Conversely, aside from the obvious restrictions on federal property etc, I've never seen a sign saying "No hand guns allowed"...even if a business had such a sign, how many of us would just ignore it??? Unless they wand everyone going in, how would they know???

Sorry, just don't see the point my friend.[thinking]

I have to agree.

Actually, I think Bill Clinton had the best policy for concealed carry. He just misplaced it.

"Don't ask, don't tell."

Here ya go courtesy of www.Gunbroker.com just this morning. This poster IS legal to repost here. There's a line on the bottom of the original granting permission. Just copy this to your computer and you can easily make big ones without any degrading of the artwork.

Rome

Haha beat me to the punch. I opened my email and remembered a board member asking about a similar sign. How neat is it that GunBroker sent just that the following day. I wanted to post it for the guy, I'm glad you got to it too.

I like what the sign says. It lets you know why people may be carrying: because of criminals. It sets the right context for CCW.

Back
Top Bottom