Carrying while skiing... Need suggestions!

Wow...This one got interesting. The only place I don't carry is court and federal buildings. I ski all the time and my gun goes with me. It has nothing to do with paranoia - what it has to do with is the fact that I've been carrying a gun for over half my life. My carry gun is like my car keys, cell phone and wallet - it goes where I go. I choose not to have the liability of leaving my gun in the car and having it stolen, so when I hit the slopes, my 642CT goes with me. It fits perfectly in my front pocket with the Mika holster...

Exactly. Carry whenever and however you like. It shouldn't shock people especially on this forum that some may want to carry skiing, golfing, fishing etc.

Don't question why you are exercising your rights.

No one asks why you believe in God on a Thursday or why you chose to express yourself in a certain geographic location.

Exactly. Carry whenever and however you like. It shouldn't shock people especially on this forum that some may want to carry skiing, golfing, fishing etc.

Don't question why you are exercising your rights.

No one asks why you believe in God on a Thursday or why you chose to express yourself in a certain geographic location.

Amen brother...[cheers]

It seemed, (unless I was being sensitive), that Hanwei was being mocked for wanting to carry while skiing. Considering I carry my gun everywhere I go, it's only natural that I carry it while on the slopes and people who have a problem with it, or think me paranoid can kiss off...

Taking 2 sentences out of context does not make it "anti logic"

An anti would have told you that you can't be trusted with one and will endanger those around you. And that the police will be there to protect you.

Actually... Anti's say "Why do you need a gun?", "Why do you feel the need to carry a gun?", "Why do you feel the need to carry a gun everywhere you go when there's no crime?", ETC ETC ETC. And they say these things ALL the time.

If you're scared of being mugged on the ski slopes, you're either paranoid (never even HEARD of it happening) or you ski in such a way that people would want to beat the crap out of you with a ski or I dunno what.

Bill... I'll say it again... I'm NOT SCARED of being mugged on the slopes... I DON'T FEEL THE NEED to carry on the slopes. I'm not sure how many times I can say it. [grin]

But you cannot deny that just asking the question "Why do you feel the NEED to carry a gun" is using Anti speak regardless of context. An Anti would use the word "need". A shooter would use the word "want".

Risk assessment isn't pro or anti gun it's risk assessment. I assess the risks of possibly seriously getting injured to be several orders of magnitude higher than possibly needing a handgun whilst downhill skiing. If you were doing x-country out in the boon toolies, especially in spring I would have given different advice.

I agree with you here.

Saying you have a chance that approaches essentially zero of finding yourself needing a gun in a given situation is just plain using yer noggin when there's a very serious downside involved for you.

If there's a very serious downside. Yes.

If you think that's an "anti" argument, you haven't talked to many antis. They would tell you the risk is zero EVERYWHERE and you shouldn't be allowed to carry.

I live and work in Cambridge. [laugh] I couldn't avoid talking to Anti's if I tried.

Sorry if you felt blasted, but "anti" logic? come on.

All that having been said, and not wishing to argue the point further...again, best bet by a long shot is the fanny pack, worn in front. If you fall on it your belly will only get a mild bruise at worst. Carrying it anywhere else IMO leaves you at real risk of fracture in a bad fall. I've broken ribs falling on a ski pole, and I hate to think of falling on even an airweight with a hip, spine or leg. (I'm thinking rock-hard NE mogul).

Regards,

-Bill

Good thing I don't ski moguls [smile]

Anyway... I'm about to leave for the trip and...... with my risk assessment complete... I will be bringing my little friend... and will be carrying on the slopes...

Not because I feel the need to.... But because it's the only place I feel comfortable "storing" the gun while I'm on the slopes. [grin]

I choose not to carry on the slopes -- mostly because it hurts to fall on bulky things. The fewer bulky items I have with me, the better. That said, the same argument could be made for the radio I do carry -- and the phone too for that matter.

So carry on the slopes if you want to. If I wanted to I certainly would. My only recommendation is that whatever you choose to bring with you for a fun day of skiing, consider the two things I have found most important over the years - a whistle and a sharp pocket knife.

This seems to be the point, reiterated many, many times in this thread, that seems to be going over the heads of some folks here, for one reason or another, who seem to keep going back to the point they're trying to make that they've never felt the need to carry on the slopes because of the lack of perceived need for the use of deadly force there.

Well said, +1.

Not because I feel the need to.... But because it's the only place I feel comfortable "storing" the gun while I'm on the slopes. [grin]
Besides, its almost impossible to tell the difference between a zombi attack and a group of liberal yuppies taking a ski class - error on the side of caution[rofl]

Frankly, I'd never carry while skiing. The risk of falling on the gun and and breaking something that wouldn't otherwise be broken is too high.

Agreed!!

I have fallen on my gun during fights, falls and other circumstances and I can tell you that it is very painful.

A few weeks ago I fell on ice while wrestling with a guy and landed on my hip. I still have a large bruise. It was painful.

This should be taken into consideration when choosing how to carry while doing a activity such as skiing which can lead to more serious falls..

Why? Because everyone at a ski mountain is just there to ski?

Please give me an even remotely likely scenario where you'd ever need that weapon at a school... isn't everyone just there to learn?

Please give me an even remotely likely scenario where you'd ever need that weapon at a mall... isn't everyone just there to buy stuff?

OH WAIT [rolleyes]

...I DID post this in a gun forum didn't I? *looks around* [thinking]

I would leave my CC gun locked in the trunk. Carry OC on the slopes...lot less likely to hurt you if you fall on it...

Agreed!!

I have fallen on my gun during fights, falls and other circumstances and I can tell you that it is very painful.

A few weeks ago I fell on ice while wrestling with a guy and landed on my hip. I still have a large bruise. It was painful.

This should be taken into consideration when choosing how to carry while doing a activity such as skiing which can lead to more serious falls..

You should leave your gun locked at home when you're on duty -- too much chance of being injured by it in situations as outlined above. As long as you have situational awareness, the gun is a moot point anyways.

You should leave your gun locked at home when you're on duty -- too much chance of being injured by it in situations as outlined above. As long as you have situational awareness, the gun is a moot point anyways.

Where did I say one should not carry the gun?

My post merely stated that you should keep it in consideration of where you conceal the gun so as to maybe minimize any injuries.[rolleyes]

Where did I say one should not carry the gun?

My post merely stated that you should keep it in consideration of where you conceal the gun so as to maybe minimize any injuries.[rolleyes]

I think telemark is making a satirical reference to other posters here who have said that earlier in the thread, not specifically at you. [grin]

Poor alternative storage and concealment is key here. I recently hit the slopes on a trip with a few other couples. Keeping it on me was the most logical solution ALL weekend, including boarding. Doing something different would have put my firearm in poor storage situations and likely outed me with the people I was with. I was the only one who knew I was carrying, as it always is.

I put my Seecamp in a pocket holster in my breast pocket of my jacket. Only issue is not being able to easily shed the jacket. My phone, keys, wallet, etc. are of equal or greater size than the Seecamp and were on me as well.

I am shocked at the responses on this thread. I have a habit of thinking places like ski slopes (a place were most people are great targets are more vulnerable than usual) is a prime spot for zombies. There is a TON of theft at these mountains. TONS of hoodlums come out just to break into cars and heist equipment around the mountain. I would be willing to bet that few of them have thought how much money people are carrying around and how vulnerable they are while skiing, in the lodge, in the parking lots, etc. Skiing is not JUST on the mountain. Well, surely now they will if they read this thread. During the course of the day you spend a lot of time in other areas of the resort.

I am shocked at the responses on this thread.

You are not alone...[thinking]

To me, carrying a weapon is a mindset that comes with the right to do so. Carrying for the "convenience" of it, just does not go along with my mindset. As I said - I carry everywhere I go and my gun is no different than my car keys or wallet - it's just an automatic that I have them on me. Except in circumstances where I am required by law not to carry, I fail to see the sense in locking my gun up in my car where it will then be at the ultimate availability to someone motivated enough to steal it...I would rather suffer the inconvenience of planning my carry on the ski slopes and the chance of "falling on my weapon", then suffer the consequences of arriving to the car to find my safe and weapon within gone to the streets...

+1 to you for having the presence of mind to do the right thing...

Hanwei: You are going to have to work some to come up with a thread that can beat this one for shear volume; more than 1500 looks, and over a 100 responses with no end in sight. And this without a hint of sex or manly animal behavior in the original post.

Do you folks that carry a weapon while skiing also carry while at church too?
You could be attacked by someone at church like a priest or a sister....

Reference: Dec 7, 2007 "A tabulation of church shootings, or those closely related to a church setting, was done by Gary Cass, chairman of the Christian Anti-Defamation Commission, and include 10 such attacks over the last four years

You're saying violence doesn't occur in religious settings?

Most of the major wars in the world occurred over religious beliefs.

Do you folks that carry a weapon while skiing also carry while at church too?
You could be attacked by someone at church like a priest or a sister....

You're kidding - right? [thinking]

Carrying for convenience is just plain silly to me - but that's just me. Unless of course you're President of The Psychic Hotline and can somehow predict who/what/when/where trouble will occur....[rolleyes]

You're kidding - right? [thinking]

Carrying for convenience is just plain silly to me - but that's just me. Unless of course you're President of The Psychic Hotline and can somehow predict who/what/when/where trouble will occur....[rolleyes]

I think this thread should be stickied because some of these responses are a perfect illustration of why this country is going down the shitter.

While Skiing? Are you serious?
-Bill Nance

Happened to Bond all the time[rofl]
-Cekim

Jesus Bill, he's got you there. When a fella's right, he's right.

Originally Posted by tele_mark View Post
I think this thread should be stickied because some of these responses are a perfect illustration of why this country is going down the shitter.

Mass Mark: I think you may indeed be right....

He is right.

Personally, I got 5.5 pounds (with 8 round mag) of .44 Desert Eagle and the only outfit that it conceals under is my ski clothing. So I like that.

Plus, I can clear out a line pretty quick.

One thing that's funny, when I'm waving it wildly around from the lift, I like to roll my wrist so it looks like I'm completely out of control and no one can guess where it will be pointing when it stops. Thing is, when I'm actually shooting at people, I have to remember to tighten my grip or I get endless FTE.

Also, skiers? You got to lead them.

Last edited:
Hello fellow forum members [smile]

I have returned from my ski trip!

Great weather and decent skiing on Saturday considering it rained on Friday. There wasn't a cloud in the sky... we could see for miles. It was a glorious day for skiing.

I carried. On the slopes. And no... I did not fall... thank goodness... because I was NOT looking forward to being a paraplegic that so many warned would happen. [wink]

Anyway... I AM surprised that this thread is still going... so don't let me get in the way. By all means... continue! [smile]

I must say though... I, like some of you, am also astounded by some of the responses in this thread... I was under the impression that there was more of a consensus regarding CCW on NES...

Interestingly enough... most of the responses that I did not expect came from posters with <200 total posts... maybe they just haven't had enough of the NES Kool-Aid yet? [coffee]

Don't get me wrong... differing views is always a good thing. Keeps us all on our toes.

[popcorn]

It is the VCA that gets to choose the time and place (which by definition favors him - not you) for the assault.

Living an armed lifestyle is just that - styling your life around firearms.

The world is a hot range - live by it!

The first thing I was taught when skiing was how to fall and not hurt myself. Then I got A LOT of practice at it. I believe that if you don't fall once in a while while skiing, then you aren't skiing hard enough. However, skiing in control is not much different than driving in control - you have got to know you're limitations.

Me - a Glock 21 in a fanny pack on tele skis (free your heels - free your mind!)

Good gawd,doesn't anyone use their fists anymore ?

Seriously,how did you guys survive before you were able to carry a gun ?

I didn't carry until I was 37 or so and I lived in cities my entire life..much worse than most of the cities in MA.

Imagine this...I don't carry a gun on weekdays because I am working.if work policy allowed me to carry,it might be a different story [smile]

But alas,I am still alive.

I am also guessing that swimming is a banned sport for NES'ers ?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom