Carrying while skiing... Need suggestions!

That's such a stupid response I can't believe it. Several of us, very experienced skiers have told you that the gun presents a very real risk to you from falling on it. It's been made explicitly clear.

I honestly appreciate the advice. Seriously. I know that you say it because you don't want to see me hurt. However, I know there are physical risks associated with skiing. I've been doing it for a while too. And I'm aware that adding a gun adds to that risk.

No one is saying there's no risk.

Can we please let the risk issue go? I never once denied the existence of risk.

Skiing is risky. Skiing with gun is slightly more risky. Yes... I get it... We all get it. [smile]

If, given that you have no reasonable likelihood of possibly needing the weapon, (and to compare the slopes with a mall shows you don't have the slightest idea WTF you are talking about) you are willing to risk serious injury to yourself, have fun.

To me, and I'm an expert skiier who's skiied the Alps, the Sierras, the Rockies, the Cascades and the Canadian Rockies, there's not the slightest reason in the world to be so GD paranoid you need a take your weapon on the slopes. If you feel so inclined, then do so. But don't come back and assert that the experienced skiiers who've responded to you are like the Brady Bunch.

It's insulting and patently stupid. Carry and be damned for all I care. I hope you enjoy the broken hip/leg/ribs etc.

Just take a deep breath... and read what you just wrote. I've even bolded the important parts for you.

That's Anti logic right there. I'm sorry if you feel insulted. Just calling it as I see it.

And I'm not even going to get into the slopes vs mall comparison... mostly because you seem to be upset. And no one is productive when they're upset.

These are like the ski pants I have.

1276359.jpg

Purely from an injury standpoint, I'd want the item in a lower pocket like these pants have.

I have the REALLY old versions of those ski pants circa 1999? Back when they had no belt loops, no front pockets, no cargo pockets... and just one rear pocket [laugh]

And I agree... if I carry it'll be in the very deep rear pocket... so any injury is done to the back of my very muscular thigh. [wink]

I wouldn't fall for that rouse - she's likely got a well stocked walk in gun safe...

You know... she WOULD wouldn't she? [angry2]

hehe, I try not to do rude things while boarding, but i'd be carrying too most likly (unless i'm at the trick park. dont have to wory bout them, they're too stoned usualy to be a threat... Theres a reason why they call it a "half pipe" [laugh]

A thousand pardons, Master Ding-Dong. I didn't know you boarded.

recall reading some gunwriter claim that they once carried while water skiing. Taking off from the dock, then skiing up to a beach so the gun stayed dry. I guess the guy later decided that was a bit much.

I have the REALLY old versions of those ski pants circa 1999? Back when they had no belt loops, no front pockets, no cargo pockets... and just one rear pocket [laugh]

And I agree... if I carry it'll be in the very deep rear pocket... so any injury is done to the back of my very muscular thigh. [wink]

Heh.

Go hit REI. They're had some really awesome deals as of late. I got a complete set of K2 skis for my daughter for $50.

I'm also happy to see those REI hippies are NES sponsors.

What? Did no one see "Icebreaker" where a band of terrorists took Killington hostage? It could happen

http://www.netflix.com/Movie/Icebreaker/60027886?trkid=222336&lnkctr=srchrd-sr&strkid=491855185_0_0

The fate of an entire ski lodge is in the hands of ski patrol officer Matt Poster (Sean Astin) when a group of terrorists show up at the Killington Ski Resort after a plane carrying their supplies crashes into a nearby mountain. When the inhabitants of the lodge are taken hostage with a stolen nuclear weapon, it's up to Poster to save them, including his girlfriend, from imminent danger.

Seriously, I was on the mountain the last three days and I can't think of anything I wanted to deal with less than worrying a handgun.

And yes, I've rented this movie. It was dreadful, simply dreadful.

recall reading some gunwriter claim that they once carried while water skiing. Taking off from the dock, then skiing up to a beach so the gun stayed dry. I guess the guy later decided that was a bit much.

[laugh]

But a good bush in the hand beats hell out of skiing any day.

Hehehehe....... +1 for that one.

Heh.

Go hit REI. They're had some really awesome deals as of late. I got a complete set of K2 skis for my daughter for $50.

I'm also happy to see those REI hippies are NES sponsors.

Was just there yesterday (By the Fenway 13 Theater) and there wasn't much to be had. I guess it's a bit late in the season [wink]

What? Did no one see "Icebreaker" where a band of terrorists took Killington hostage? It could happen

http://www.netflix.com/Movie/Icebreaker/60027886?trkid=222336&lnkctr=srchrd-sr&strkid=491855185_0_0

Thank you! See!

[popcorn]

Hanwei: Whatever you do, don't take a fall and get that gun jammed in a place only the X-ray machine can see. I actually have an older sister who worked at Mass General in the emergency room back in the 1970s. One night a "man" came in with a vibrating adult pleasure device stuffed up his "gun safe". (see Hanwei's accident film) I swear this is true.

My mind is boggled.

I can't believe I'm actually having to justify carrying a gun... to people on a gun forum.

What's sad is that the logic used in the statements below is exactly the same logic the anti's use in telling us why no one needs a gun. [rolleyes]

BOGGLED.

[popcorn]

Like I said, whatever floats your boat. I've skied all my life, many years too young to remember and I've never felt the need to carry. Just one more thing to worry about. For the ride to and fro, your damn right it's with me, but not on the slopes. And for the "what if I'm injured in the wilderness comments", this is New England, if your caught skiing off the marked trails you've got bigger problems than wildlife. And chances are if you crash off trail you won't be to far from help.

Keep me posted if you do come up with something that doesn't turn out to be a pain in the ass, or any other body part for that matter.

Hanwei: Whatever you do, don't take a fall and get that gun jammed in a place only the X-ray machine can see.

I actually have an older sister who worked at Mass General in the emergency room back in the 1970s. One night a "man" came in with a vibrating adult pleasure device stuffed up his "gun safe". (see Hanwei's accident film) I swear this is true.

I'm not going to let you scare me into going Pelosi this weekend.

I've skied all my life, many years too young to remember and I've never felt the need to carry.
Not sure what is bunching up everyone's undergarments here...

He didn't say this right away, so I can understand the mall-ninja assumption, but he has now made it clear that his issue is not a fear of getting caught in a shoot-out on the slopes, but poor storage options while out and about...

That seems like a pretty reasonable problem. It is one easily solved by going au natural for the duration, but you could make that argument for the other 364 days of the year too - many of us have walked around most of our lives without a side-arm... (YMMV, I know mine has[laugh]).

Now, I think as a practical matter, it is important to recognize the potential for impact while skiing and as such the added potential for injury and dare I say it "accidental discharge", but these are manageable issues to say the least (and with some exception, don't seem to be the issues upon which most dissenters are focusing).

Last edited:
One night a "man" came in with a vibrating adult pleasure device stuffed up his "gun safe". (see Hanwei's accident film) I swear this is true.
E-room x-ray techs sometimes have a file for saving the x-rays of such events which are far less "unusual" than you might hope...

I was told of one whose location/state will not be named, but he had a pretty good collection of "things improperly stored in the human body"...

Last edited:
Like I said, whatever floats your boat. I've skied all my life, many years too young to remember and I've never felt the need to carry. Just one more thing to worry about. For the ride to and fro, your damn right it's with me, but not on the slopes.

I've never felt the need to carry on the slopes either. Never said I did. [grin]

And like I mentioned earlier... there being no safe in the cabin, and not wanting to leave it in the car... I figured keeping it on me was the most responsible option while on the slopes.

Keep me posted if you do come up with something that doesn't turn out to be a pain in the ass, or any other body part for that matter.

Hehe.... Will do.

Not sure what is bunching up everyone's undergarments here...

He didn't say this right away, so I can understand the mall-ninja assumption, but he has now made it clear that his issue is not a fear of getting caught in a shoot-out on the slopes, but poor storage options while out and about...

That seems like a pretty reasonable problem. It is one easily solved by going au natural for the duration, but you could make that argument for the other 364 days of the year too - many of us have walked around most of our lives without a side-arm... (YMMV, I know mine has[laugh]).

Now, I think as a practical matter, it is important to recognize the potential for impact while skiing and as such the added potential for injury and dare I say it "accidental discharge", but these are manageable issues to say the least (and with some exception, don't seem to be the issues upon which most dissenters are focusing).

[cheers]

I don't undertand how people ask "why would you carry?"

That's the same as asking why you would carry at home, or at work or anywhere. The reason is the same.

Whether the risk and inconvenience to you is worth it is a totally different story. Reasoning remains the same.

Not sure what is bunching up everyone's undergarments here... .....

Come on dude, dont ruin the thread. We can at least make another page filled with the internal strife. [smile]

Let me lead by example:

Hanwei dear lord, you are nuts!!! Why do you even need guns in the snow?? think of all the children enjoying the snow around you. What if you get into a snowfight? The snowflakes will overpower you, they are many and you are one!!! Its a losing battle because they will swarm you, keep your powder dry. Know your target and whats beyond, and f[]ck those hiding boulders.

I'll be at Okemo this weekend and I'll be pocket carrying my airweight j frame in my outershell jacket. It's small enought to fit in one of the zippered chest pockets and it's light enough that I hardly even remember it's on me. Heck it's lighter than a can of soda. I just dont trust locking it up in my truck

This thread has exhausted me. I'm going to bed and will probably have nightmares about the internal strife on NES. [kiss] [pot]

Last edited:
I've ski patrolled all over New England for years - and frankly, I've never even considered (or even thought about) carrying a handgun. The best thing anyone can do on the hill is to be aware of EVERYONE around you ALL of the time in an effort to avoid a collision with an idiot.

Trust me on this - those rude gangsta' punks zipping around the hill usually end up crying like babies getting what they deserve: a tobaggan ride to a bone-reset party!

I honestly appreciate the advice. Seriously. I know that you say it because you don't want to see me hurt. However, I know there are physical risks associated with skiing. I've been doing it for a while too. And I'm aware that adding a gun adds to that risk.

No one is saying there's no risk.

Can we please let the risk issue go? I never once denied the existence of risk.

Skiing is risky. Skiing with gun is slightly more risky. Yes... I get it... We all get it. [smile]

Just take a deep breath... and read what you just wrote. I've even bolded the important parts for you.

That's Anti logic right there. I'm sorry if you feel insulted. Just calling it as I see it.

And I'm not even going to get into the slopes vs mall comparison... mostly because you seem to be upset. And no one is productive when they're upset.

Taking 2 sentences out of context does not make it "anti logic"

An anti would have told you that you can't be trusted with one and will endanger those around you. And that the police will be there to protect you.

I said no such thing. If you're scared of being mugged on the ski slopes, you're either paranoid (never even HEARD of it happening) or you ski in such a way that people would want to beat the crap out of you with a ski or I dunno what.

Risk assessment isn't pro or anti gun it's risk assessment. I assess the risks of possibly seriously getting injured to be several orders of magnitude higher than possibly needing a handgun whilst downhill skiing. If you were doing x-country out in the boon toolies, especially in spring I would have given different advice.

Saying you have a chance that approaches essentially zero of finding yourself needing a gun in a given situation is just plain using yer noggin when there's a very serious downside involved for you.

If you think that's an "anti" argument, you haven't talked to many antis. They would tell you the risk is zero EVERYWHERE and you shouldn't be allowed to carry.

Sorry if you felt blasted, but "anti" logic? come on.

All that having been said, and not wishing to argue the point further...again, best bet by a long shot is the fanny pack, worn in front. If you fall on it your belly will only get a mild bruise at worst. Carrying it anywhere else IMO leaves you at real risk of fracture in a bad fall. I've broken ribs falling on a ski pole, and I hate to think of falling on even an airweight with a hip, spine or leg. (I'm thinking rock-hard NE mogul).

Regards,

-Bill

Wow...This one got interesting. The only place I don't carry is court and federal buildings. I ski all the time and my gun goes with me. It has nothing to do with paranoia - what it has to do with is the fact that I've been carrying a gun for over half my life. My carry gun is like my car keys, cell phone and wallet - it goes where I go. I choose not to have the liability of leaving my gun in the car and having it stolen, so when I hit the slopes, my 642CT goes with me. It fits perfectly in my front pocket with the Mika holster...

Wow...This one got interesting. The only place I don't carry is court and federal buildings. I ski all the time and my gun goes with me. It has nothing to do with paranoia - what it has to do with is the fact that I've been carrying a gun for over half my life. My carry gun is like my car keys, cell phone and wallet - it goes where I go. I choose not to have the liability of leaving my gun in the car and having it stolen, so when I hit the slopes, my 642CT goes with me. It fits perfectly in my front pocket with the Mika holster...

This seems to be the point, reiterated many, many times in this thread, that seems to be going over the heads of some folks here, for one reason or another, who seem to keep going back to the point they're trying to make that they've never felt the need to carry on the slopes because of the lack of perceived need for the use of deadly force there.

Actually... the BEST thing to do would be to duct tape it to my ass since that's where the most cushion is. But since I can't do that... I think pocket holstering it in my deep back pocket of the ski pants so the gun is behind my thigh is the best practical solution. It'll probably do the least amount of damage if I fall... and it will stay concealed and always on my person both in and out of the lodge.

Does anyone think this option is a bad idea?

[popcorn]

[laugh2][laugh2][laugh2][laugh2][laugh2]

Actually I think the funniest thing would be if you ever had to use it lol. I can only imagine someone tearing their pants down around their ankles to get their gun that is duct taped to their ass.

Maybe you should make a field trip to your local prison. I'm sure they could show you some new ways to conceal [wink]

+1 Mark... don't think I could have said this better myself.

When I was skiing more actively, I carried 2 way radios with me all the time.... and frankly, those were more likely of hurting me in a fall.. and I've fallen with them before... and the worst I ever did was got a bruise and broke a battery mount. These radios were heavy, too... (Alinco 580, 582, Yaesu FT-530... ) I also carried an extra battery, too, so I guess that was doubling my risk. [laugh]

I'm trying very, very hard to see what the big deal is here. Skiing is dangerous, so what? The slopes are lined with these things that could
kill any of us if we hit them at the right speed- namely, rocks and trees... I guess I just think that an object weighing less than a pound inside a padded
pocket is not that big of a deal in the grand scheme of things. My skis and poles present a greater risk.

Maybe if I was cliff jumping or doing -serious- skiing, like racing, then I'd think differently... but I'm not that hardcore.

-Mike

Hanwei: It came to me in a dream last night. What you need is one of those rescue sled things the ski patrol carries the mangled bodies away with. You could carry ALL your handguns, three rifles, a good shotgun, a compact 60mm WW2 era trench mortar, all of your reloading gear, and a tuna fish sandwich in complete comfort and stealth. Folk will think you're just doing your job helping some poor tele mark skier find a morphine pump.

Don't let the nay sayers keep a clever man down. I'll be in the lodge with my binoculars watching your progess from the bar. Now get out there and stay safe. And always remember: Tip of the spear, baby. Tip of the spear.

Back
Top Bottom