Carrying while skiing... Need suggestions!

Hanwei

NES Member
So I'm going skiing this weekend... and no, I don't NEED to carry while I'm skiing... but if I can, I want to.

It just occurred to me that it might actually be hard to do. CCWing while skiing, that is.

"Use an OWB holster..."

I can't... ski pants don't have belt loops = no belt. And I can't use a pancake holster because the ones I have just don't conceal well...

"Use a shoulder holster..."

I can't... It needs to stay concealed when I go into the lodge for lunch... and take off my jacket.

"Use an IWB holster..."

I COULD... and just clip the holster onto the waistband... however if I take a hard fall... there's nothing to stop those clips from coming off of the waistband... creating a floating gun+holster combo somewhere in the snow.

"Use a Smartcarry holster..."

I could... but again, if I take a fall I don't want anything heavy knocking around down there if you know what I mean. Not because I'm worried about an ND... but because having a gun swing and smack you in the junk HURTS. [wink]

"Use an ankle holster..."

You must have never gone skiing before [smile]

"Pocket carry..."

This is the only viable option so far... stick a safe T Blok (trigger block) in my G26... then stick it into my jacket pocket.

Any other suggestions? How have you skiers carried while skiing?

[popcorn]

I wear either a light flannel or down vest under my jacket, shoulder holster under the bottom layer, jacket can come off as needed.

This is the only viable option so far... stick a safe T Blok (trigger block) in my G26... then stick it into my jacket pocket.
Get a pocket holster. Stick the gun in the pocket holster and the whole think your jacket pocket.

Wear a small backpack?
Fanny pack will work.

[popcorn] is right.

a bad fall and you could lose it or worse... break a rib, hurt your junk, injure your spine, bruse an anke (insert body part here__________) that the gun could come in contact with.

however, you could duct tape it to.... nevermind.

If you're worried about an AD, don't have a round chambered. I know it's uncouth but since the potential for flinging body parts is high, it might not be such a radical idea.

As for falling on it and breaking something, don't fall.

Or get a pair of ski pants that have belt loops and wear it IWB with a belt. I have multiple sets of ski pants that have belt loops and other that do not. The ones I prefer to wear do, however I can't think of a place I would want the block of metal on my person in case of a fall.

Same reason I tend not to CCW on my motorcycle.

Best place to put it so it won't hurt you in a fall would be on the front pointed right at your man hood. I'd rather just ski then worry about becoming a eunuch. :)

However, if you must a smaller CCW would work with a pocket holster inside the jacket pocket. However, when you go into the Lodge and take off your jacket you would then be leaving it there.

If I were to do this often I'd invest in something like the SimplyRugged Chest Puller system and then put a fleece or something over it.

its the jacket. i have this, http://www.burton.com/Gear/Default..../jackets/mens-burton-jackets/10618/209946036/
i carry a commander size 1911 in a pancake with closed cell foam adhered to the back of it in various shapes to help keep it in one place as well as 'in case i fall' bit.
the reason the jacket si important, there is a concealed inside pocket on that specific jacket which is where my pistol goes while i snowboard. the concealed pocket is (from perspective of wearing it), left side, lift velcro zipper cover, pull velcro pocket closure, sits like a shoulder holster.

I've used a belly band during outdoor activities with good results, providing you're not carrying a big, heavy gun. I've used it with Sig 229's & various J-frames, & they ride well in it.

I'm always for ccwing when it's necessary and I've also thought about carrying when I'm on the slopes. The reason I don't is the cracked ribs I had when I took a bad fall and landed on my cell phone that was in my coat's breast pocket. Falling while skiing should be expected at any time. Depending on how you ski, a fall can be violent. Do you really want to take the chance of landing on it, tumbling, it comes flying out or any variation there of? Obviously people feel different, but take my word for it. Cracked ribs hurt!

I wear either a light flannel or down vest under my jacket, shoulder holster under the bottom layer, jacket can come off as needed.

This is a good idea. Unfortunately I don't have a shoulder holster [smile]

I just pocket carry my j-frame in my Goretex.

My ski pants have one VERY deep rear pocket that I usually keep my wallet in when skiing... the wallet is positioned right behind my thigh. This might be a good place for my G26 in a pocket holster as the back of the thigh has lots of muscle/cushion should I fall on it. Hmm...

Wear a small backpack?

Negative... when I take it off in the lodge... and go get food... I ain't going to leave my gun at the table. I mean... I COULD take the backpack with me but that'd just be weird. [smile]

Fanny pack will work.

Yes! Fanny pack... of course... and even if I don't carry the gun in the fanny pack I might wear it anyway just for Jim. [wink]

[popcorn] is right.

a bad fall and you could lose it or worse... break a rib, hurt your junk, injure your spine, bruse an anke (insert body part here__________) that the gun could come in contact with.

Quit it... you're freakin me out. [hmmm]

If you're worried about an AD, don't have a round chambered. I know it's uncouth but since the potential for flinging body parts is high, it might not be such a radical idea.

As for falling on it and breaking something, don't fall.

Meh... I'm not really worried about an ND. The 26 will either be in a holster or have a safeTBlok in. It's more about finding a good way to conceal it...

Or get a pair of ski pants that have belt loops and wear it IWB with a belt. I have multiple sets of ski pants that have belt loops and other that do not. The ones I prefer to wear do, however I can't think of a place I would want the block of metal on my person in case of a fall.

However, if you must a smaller CCW would work with a pocket holster inside the jacket pocket. However, when you go into the Lodge and take off your jacket you would then be leaving it there.

Well... I don't have the $ to pick up another pair of ski pants... So that's out. And you have a good point about leaving the jacket with the gun in it while you go get food, etc. Also not good.

I've used a belly band during outdoor activities with good results, providing you're not carrying a big, heavy gun. I've used it with Sig 229's & various J-frames, & they ride well in it.

I don't have a belly band... so this option's out... but it's a good idea.

I'm always for ccwing when it's necessary and I've also thought about carrying when I'm on the slopes. The reason I don't is the cracked ribs I had when I took a bad fall and landed on my cell phone that was in my coat's breast pocket. Falling while skiing should be expected at any time. Depending on how you ski, a fall can be violent. Do you really want to take the chance of landing on it, tumbling, it comes flying out or any variation there of? Obviously people feel different, but take my word for it. Cracked ribs hurt!

You and Jay are making me nervous [laugh] [shocked]

Duct tape it to your neck. On the side of course. Nobody falls on their neck when they ski.

Actually... the BEST thing to do would be to duct tape it to my ass since that's where the most cushion is. But since I can't do that... I think pocket holstering it in my deep back pocket of the ski pants so the gun is behind my thigh is the best practical solution. It'll probably do the least amount of damage if I fall... and it will stay concealed and always on my person both in and out of the lodge.

Does anyone think this option is a bad idea?

[popcorn]

Last edited:
I wear a pair of jeans with a belt under my ski pants and use an OWB holster.
As a recommendation, don't carry if you're planning on going off any jumps, if you mess up, you will almost always end up falling rite on the gun and that hurts (or will mess up your gun) I took a nasty fall off of a rail later in the day at sunapee when it was all icy... that.. sucked

Actually the whole falling thing is pretty legit. I've taken some bad falls.

Backpack is a bad idea. I've lost things in a backpack while snowboarding. You're moving around quite a bit. The zippers come open, velcro comes undone. Bad idea.

Where you skiing? Blue Hills?

I wouldn't carry because if i took a fall or worse yet someone out of control hits me, which is not really preventable, and i need medical attention the last thing i want is them cutting my clothes off and finding a gun.

He's skiing at Nashoba Valley, sticking to the green trails.
snowbaby.jpg

Last edited:
Don't take this the wrong way or anything, but why do you feel the need to carry while skiing? I know, some carry 24/7/365, but I've never had any kind of life threatening experience while skiing that I didn't bring upon myself. Meaning cliff skiing and off piste stuff. Any problem that I've had with punks end real quick when you actually take action. They're all talk.

I wear a pair of jeans with a belt under my ski pants and use an OWB holster.
As a recommendation, don't carry if you're planning on going off any jumps, if you mess up, you will almost always end up falling rite on the gun and that hurts (or will mess up your gun) I took a nasty fall off of a rail later in the day at sunapee when it was all icy... that.. sucked

I'm an intermediate skier... So I can handle the black diamonds... but I don't do jumps. No sir. I tend to avoid doing things that include flying through the air [wink] (actually sky diving was AMAZING... that's the exception to my rule [grin])

Actually the whole falling thing is pretty legit. I've taken some bad falls.

[rofl] - hey, i'm honselty concerned, i'd feel worse if i didn't bring it up.

now, back to [popcorn]

I know I know. I actually took a pretty crazy fall last year. By the time I stopped tumbling... one of my skis ended up 25 yards up trail behind me... one about 10 feet in front of me... both poles were up by the first ski... and I was just lying on my back... in the snow... laughing my ass off because I was so glad to still be alive. [rofl]

BTW... the longest I've gone without falling was 7 years... and yes, I skied those 7 years [grin] I was pretty proud of myself. Then I fell. And cried since my 7 year streak was over.

Where you skiing? Blue Hills?

I wouldn't carry because if i took a fall or worse yet someone out of control hits me, which is not really preventable, and i need medical attention the last thing i want is them cutting my clothes off and finding a gun.

I'm skiing up in VT. So I don't think the medics will care. It's normal for them free people [thinking]

He's skiing at Nashoba Valley, sticking to the green trails.
snowbaby.jpg

Holy crap that's funny as hell. [rofl] And yes, you should have asked me before posting one of my baby photos. Not cool.

Don't take this the wrong way or anything, but why do you feel the need to carry while skiing? I know, some carry 24/7/365, but I've never had any kind of life threatening experience while skiing that I didn't bring upon myself. Meaning cliff skiing and off piste stuff. Any problem that I've had with punks end real quick when you actually take action. They're all talk.

I don't feel the need to carry while skiing. Actually... I don't feel the need to carry anywhere. But I'm one of those who subscribe to the "you just never know when shit will hit the fan, however unlikely the chances are" school of thought... So I carry 24/7/365 when I can.

How about this?

Ski Gun

It's DEFINITELY not MA compliant. [smile]

Why don't you carry a rifle slung over your shoulder. Tell everyone you're practicing for the biathlon!!!

Already thought about it. Forget the biathlon... I could just say that I'm hunting! I'll even wear an orange safety vest... [laugh]

Last edited:
Skiers

I'm a telemark skier -- all my falls are bad.

You guys always have those nasty, painfull, spiraling lower leg fractures. You should bring a small gun with you into the backwoods just to shoot yourself with when the time comes. Unless you pass out first. Then the coyotes will take care of you while you sleep. Kinda like crabs in the ocean.

BTW... the longest I've gone without falling was 7 years... and yes, I skied those 7 years [grin] I was pretty proud of myself. Then I fell. And cried since my 7 year streak was over.

Back when I was younger and skied more often, I figured if I didn't fall at least once in awhile I wasn't skiing hard enough. [laugh]

That was, of course, until I ruptured my ACL, but then again, that was just about the dumbest crash/fall I ever took. It happend at like 5mph. It completely sucked because there was nothing epic and dramatic about it leading up to the incident. It was like totaling a car going at 5 mph by hitting a lamppost compared to doing something like this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5DIcoeuxLI

-Mike

Frankly, I'd never carry while skiing. The risk of falling on the gun and and breaking something that wouldn't otherwise be broken is too high.

You guys always have those nasty, painfull, spiraling lower leg fractures. You should bring a small gun with you into the backwoods just to shoot yourself with when the time comes. Unless you pass out first. Then the coyotes will take care of you while you sleep. Kinda like crabs in the ocean.

Naaa, no backwoods for me. Too much traveling and time to get to where the snow base builds up enough to do it. No, I'm consigned to lift-served crap by Al Gore's Global Warming.

I wear an overalls type ski jumper under a ski jacket that has some zippered pockets. Kahr PM9 in a pocket holster on one side and two spare mags in a mag pouch on the other. Zipped up is not the quickest access, but it's very secure against those "garage sale" type crashes. My jumper pants are padded enough that I've never even had so much as a bruise from the gun. Works for me.

Back
Top Bottom