Carrying concealed while exercising

OK, we need some pictures here! (-:

Really though, I hated to even carry my locker key when I was going to the Y regularly, let alone some sort of protection. I'd usually just put the key somewhere up high where most people wouldn't be able to reach it, and I could still see it from most of the gym.

Like anything else, you'll need to play around with holster and clothing options yourself to see what works for you and your style. One good thing is it's socially acceptable to wear baggy ugly clothing while working out. [laugh]

Belly band while out running.

That's my vote. It works great for me, I get a little swaet on the gun sometimes, but it's a Glock, so it's not an issue. I have Thunderwear which I tried, and while it's great for deep concealment when nothing else works, when I ran with it it bashed the gun into my testicles a few times too many.

Clearly, you also don't work in a gym and haven't witnessed fist-fights and death threats amongst spouses who have been found to be having affairs at the gym (some with aerobics instructors!)

+1, I can't stress this enough. I worked at a family oriented gym for a few years, in a nice area with few problems, but gym affairs were a constant issue.

We'd routinely get angry phone calls from spouses demanding to know if their significant other was there at the time, if they came in alone, etc. etc. Many confrontations took place; there was one incident where a husband came in to confront his wife and her lover with a gun, and I'm willing to bet that there were more issues like this with guns where they just didn't become visible.

Adultery aside, there was also issues with off duty cops working out who had run ins with people they'd arrested in the past confronting them or trying to attack them inside, drug sales (steroids, meth, and anything else to "enhance performance"), stalkers...

This isn't a "this happens in bad places" type thing. I worked in a nice place, but sometimes people go crazy, and many times bad things just happen. A gym is one of the last places I'd want to be while unarmed.

+1, I can't stress this enough. I worked at a family oriented gym for a few years, in a nice area with few problems, but gym affairs were a constant issue.

We'd routinely get angry phone calls from spouses demanding to know if their significant other was there at the time, if they came in alone, etc. etc. Many confrontations took place; there was one incident where a husband came in to confront his wife and her lover with a gun, and I'm willing to bet that there were more issues like this with guns where they just didn't become visible.

Adultery aside, there was also issues with off duty cops working out who had run ins with people they'd arrested in the past confronting them or trying to attack them inside, drug sales (steroids, meth, and anything else to "enhance performance"), stalkers...

This isn't a "this happens in bad places" type thing. I worked in a nice place, but sometimes people go crazy, and many times bad things just happen. A gym is one of the last places I'd want to be while unarmed.

GSG, Thanks for your input on that matter. It's good to have some more first-hand verification of my experiences with the inherent possibilities of gym violence, although we thankfully don't hear about it or experience it coming to fruition on a regular basis.

To the OP, I never experience any flopping around in my smart carry. Even when running 4 miles....

Yup. And that's why I'll send her pics directly instead of posting them here. Ya'll can't even ignore text, what's the chance of behaving when there's photos? [laugh]
The chance is 100%, Nicole, 100%! You think I'm going to get uppity with a woman who's packing??? [laugh]

I use a Fobus kydex paddle holster for my 642CT with no belt when I'm running on roads. It clips securely to the waistband of my running pants/shorts and I don't even notice it. The silicone material which lines the paddle holds it securely. I do the same thing with a small can of pepper spray on my weak side. When I run cross-country in the woods, I use the same holster, clipped to the waist belt of my CamelBak....My gun is secured in a locked locker at the gym, so in the odd chance something goes down there, I'm making a run for the door...

As to carrying at home, (or not), I carry...My carry gun is no different than my wallet or keys - it's with me. I think people take for granted that they're automatically safe when they're at home...I do not...

Thats a good point JMac.....I remember @ the Workout Plus gym in Dedham MA a muscle head was boinking a older guys wife and he came in and shot him dead. Id forgot that. He was recently released from Norfolk County House of Correction after 25yrs or there abouts IIRC.

Thats a good point JMac.....I remember @ the Workout Plus gym in Dedham MA a muscle head was boinking a older guys wife and he came in and shot him dead. Id forgot that. He was recently released from Norfolk County House of Correction after 25yrs or there abouts IIRC.

That's terrible to hear, but it's exactly what I'm talking about. I'm surprised and thankful that it doesn't happen more often....

GSG, Thanks for your input on that matter. It's good to have some more first-hand verification of my experiences with the inherent possibilities of gym violence, although we thankfully don't hear about it or experience it coming to fruition on a regular basis.

Another reason people don't hear about this stuff is because businesses are't going to put up a sign and advertise that bad things happen on their property all the time. We had multiple break ins to lockers (cops lost badges, cell phones, etc.) and vehicles, a sex offender publicly masturbating in front of women (many times, he never got caught, once the cops chased him while he was completely naked, they never caught him), a very shady guy who walked into a birthday party to "horse around" with some young kids, sex offenders and ex cons coming in to work out, people getting arrested on the property with outstanding warrants, an employee sexually assaulted, fights, a random parking lot beating...if this stuff wasn't kept quiet people wouldn't pay money to go there.

Keep in mind, a lot of gyms rent out sections of the property/pool/gymnasium area for birthday parties, athletic events, and other things, and when they do they bring in as many people as they want on their terms (no ID's taken, etc.), and even when they're supposed to be limited to one area they sneak into others, or just sneak into the building in the first place.

As you and many others know, a gym is no more or less safe than any other place where people congregate.

As to carrying at home, (or not), I carry...My carry gun is no different than my wallet or keys - it's with me. I think people take for granted that they're automatically safe when they're at home...I do not...

Same here.

I'll just say that my running/workouts get pretty intense resulting in various positioning that really is not comfortable with a sidearm. I'd honestly like to carry while I workout, however carrying while doing decline sit-ups is what really eludes my mind. I fail to see a way to carry, be undetected, be comfortable and not hinder the intensity of my workout. Any suggestions...

I'm wearing my smartcarry in my workout pants right now. I've been wearing it all day, shoveling snow twice, did back and cardio at the gym today, and been hanging out ever since. There are certain exercises/positions that I feel like people could see it, but like everyone else says, we're more paranoid than everyone else is aware, so I don't think twice about it anymore.

Thanks to everyone for the advice. I think I'll go with the belly band. Now if I could just trade in my model 60 for a model 640 with the enclosed hammer, I'll be able to exercise in peace! I can't find any 640s for sale though. My present setup is workable for the time being, anyway.

Last edited:
I'll just say that my running/workouts get pretty intense resulting in various positioning that really is not comfortable with a sidearm. I'd honestly like to carry while I workout, however carrying while doing decline sit-ups is what really eludes my mind. I fail to see a way to carry, be undetected, be comfortable and not hinder the intensity of my workout. Any suggestions...

Perhaps keep a gun in a nearby gymbag? Not a great option, but it's closer than in the car, although that whole "direct control" thing could become an issue.

I had to chime in because no one has mentioned the 5.11 holster shirt...and thunderwear has been mentioned too many times in this thread for me to stay out.

The 5.11 holster shirt:
I used to go on runs with it, bikes etc. I could fit a Glock 26 on one side and a spare mag on the other.
Also useful for business dress. If you wear a tie you can leave one button of your shirt open for access.
I started a thread in the equipment forum with a review of it. If you're going to lift weights, a revo would work better and obviously you'd need to wear a shirt that was a tad looser.

As far as the thunderwear: I wear one all the time. Unfortunately I don't think I'd ever want to wear one while running.
I think I tried just a mild jog down a hallway of my house once with G26 in there and all it did was slap my balls over and over and get caught in between my legs.
And I don't have big balls. They're small, tight and compact: potent. I can't imagine what some of you older guys would do with your danglies.

Last edited:
The 5.11 holster shirt:
I used to go on runs with it, bikes etc. I could fit a Glock 26 on one side and a spare mag on the other.
Also useful for business dress. If you wear a tie you can leave one button of your shirt open for access.
I started a thread in the equipment forum with a review of it. If you're going to lift weights, a revo would work better and obviously you'd need to wear a shirt that was a tad looser.

I was looking into some of those 511 shirts, as an owner of at least 1 i know of, how well do you think they will work for someone who is left handed?
just curious...

Thanks
ET

I was looking into some of those 511 shirts, as an owner of at least 1 i know of, how well do you think they will work for someone who is left handed?
just curious...

Thanks
ET

There is a pocket on both sides.
Works the same for strange handed people.
Gun on one side, spare mag on the other.
I also keep my ID, some cash and sometimes a cell phone (when I used to run)

I had to chime in because no one has mentioned the 5.11 holster shirt...and thunderwear has been mentioned too many times in this thread for me to stay out.

And I don't have big balls. They're small, tight and compact: potent. I can't imagine what some of you older guys would do with your danglies.

Way to much information, and exageration too!!

The 5.11 holster shirt:

As far as the thunderwear: I wear one all the time. Unfortunately I don't think I'd ever want to wear one while running.
I think I tried just a mild jog down a hallway of my house once with G26 in there and all it did was slap my balls over and over and get caught in between my legs.

I just don't have room for a firearm down in that area, but that's me.

There is a pocket on both sides.
Works the same for strange handed people.
Gun on one side, spare mag on the other.
I also keep my ID, some cash and sometimes a cell phone (when I used to run)

it still buttons up the same (mens shirt) not like a women where it buttons up opposite? can you pull a gun out without it getting snagged?

it still buttons up the same (mens shirt) not like a women where it buttons up opposite? can you pull a gun out without it getting snagged?

I don't think we're talking about the same thing.

The 5.11 holster shirt is an undershirt with holsters on right and left sides. You wear a shirt over it.
As far as snagging goes, I guess you could snag on your outer shirt...but if this is your only option when dressing business casual then it's better to have it than not.

Back
Top Bottom