• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Carry guns with a micro dot mounted?

http://www.glockworx.com/Products.aspx?CAT=3720

These guys do sight cuts for red dot installations on Glock slides. Red dots on self-defense handguns are going to be big. Red dots overcome a major shortcoming with handgun sights. With a red dot, as was pointed out, you're looking at the target and placing the dot over it. With standard iron sights you have to look at the sights to hit the target. When somebody is trying to do grave bodily injury to you, you're going to have a tough time ignoring the knife, gun, pipe, screw driver (pick one), to look at the front sight instead. On top of that, they do much that a laser sight will do.

Wow those guys do some nice work. The sights look like they are part of the slide.

I agree with you, I also think that it's a good idea for a carry gun.

A lot of people said that the laser would never work and look at all the lasers that are out there now.

[wave]
Reread post #38.

Jezz I guess you just won't stop.

YES I said I was wrong and I corrected myself, you haven't yet !!!

Is there something wrong also, I see that you don't want anyone knowing that you are online, your little dot next to your name is not on.

As a have said, I'm done, post what you want from here, this is getting stupid !!! I feel like I'm dealing with a two year old !!!

I said it first!! [laugh]
Actually they do offer models that don't require batteries: http://www.trijicon.com/na_en/products/product3.php?pid=RM04

Although I am not currently interested, mostly for $ reasons, I do think that a technology like this is the natural progression of carry weapon sights.

I think they will have arrived when they are offered by major gun manufacturers in place of iron sights.

A version of the Trijicon RM04 without adjustments to shake loose (obviously, the installation method has to provide some form of adjustment), would have a low enough profile and enough ruggedness.
Probably engineering or materials improvements would be needed to reduce the height more while retaining ruggedness.

It's funny we are talking about a red dot sight on a gun and that we would like to see a gun company do it, well they are.

I opened my Aug 2011 copy of Guns & Ammo and they have a wright up about red dot sights on guns and they show a FNH gun with red dot set up.

It's a FNP-45 Tactical http://www.fnhusa.com/le/products/firearms/family.asp?fid=FNF062&gid=FNG001 .

Looks nice but it was in the Commercial/LE side of there web site so I don't think the public will ever see it.

But it's out there, a gun company is making a tactical pistol with a red dot.

Looks nice but it was in the Commercial/LE side of there web site so I don't think the public will ever see it.

They've sold a whole bunch to the public. They go for $950 or so (without the reddot) and are available at most normal (non-MA) gun stores. The problem with this particular pistol is that it's huge, and that FN pistols are of only moderate desirability in general. It's a cool toy, but not appropriate for concealed-carry (or practical duty carry).

It is really cool that there's a real company making a pistol pre-cut for a reddot, but it's not a serious offering.

They've sold a whole bunch to the public. They go for $950 or so (without the reddot) and are available at most normal (non-MA) gun stores. The problem with this particular pistol is that it's huge, and that FN pistols are of only moderate desirability in general. It's a cool toy, but not appropriate for concealed-carry (or practical duty carry).

It is really cool that there's a real company making a pistol pre-cut for a reddot, but it's not a serious offering.

OH , thanks. I didn't know that they are sold in real states. You know this false commenwealth nevers allows anything [smile] [laugh] [smile] that is good for us.

That is 1 good thing that they have going, the fact that they sell it allready set up for the red dot.

I talked with Greg Derr about doing my 1911 with one.

He's checking on a price for me on a slide and if it's good I may order the J Point and have him do it.

Of course that money tree out back has to start producing 1st [wink] [thinking] [wink].

Thread Resurrected!

I'm currently gathering funds to try this concept, with an M&P 9mm, either full-sized or compact. Leaning toward an RMR-02 milled into a Compact. A Glock 26 with the same isn't out of the question, either, but possibly a step too far.

Zerodown, if you see this, have you made any changes since your 6/11 post?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom